Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #211
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulOne
My internet connection is DSL from QWest, with ISP thru avvanta.com. Connecting with the QWest-supplied DSL modem/router ActionTec GT701-WG. The Tivos are connected with a wired internet connection with a standard ethernet switch and Netgear FA120 USB/Ethernet adapters. Two of the Tivos (the ones running 3.1.1e) use DHCP-generated IPs, the other two (the ones running 6.2) use hard-coded IPs.

Anything else you'd like to know?

And, by the way, all four of my Tivos are working (i.e., accessible thru GotoMyDVR) at the moment. I did nothing to them since last night when they weren't working (showed disconnected).
doesn't sound like anything weird. Could have been a glitch with your service provider; I don't think there is any way to prove that though -- but if they are small-time and have intermittent outages, I'd keep my eye on that.

if the client is running ok on 3.1.1.e, i don't really see why that would be a problem...

i am really at a loss... its possible that you may not be the only one losing connections, but the only one reporting it; perhaps this discussion will bring some others into the foreground...

btw, when a connection 'goes away' the client is supposed to restablish it within a few minutes - so in a sense, it sounds like the client is actually working; the big question is why you are losing connections at all...

please keep us posted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #212
PowerfulOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
btw, when a connection 'goes away' the client is supposed to restablish it within a few minutes - so in a sense, it sounds like the client is actually working; the big question is why you are losing connections at all...
When you say a connection 'goes away', are you thinking of an interruption in my DSL connection? Because I do occasionally see the status lights on the front of the DSL modem flash in a manner that indicates it's re-establishing a connection. And I intentionally reset it occasionally when I notice that the connection speed has slowed down. Would this explain any of this? Does the client need to continually (or frequently) communicate with the server? Does any of this explain why the client sometimes stops running on the Tivo?
PowerfulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #213
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
When you say a connection 'goes away', are you thinking of an interruption in my DSL connection? Because I do occasionally see the status lights on the front of the DSL modem flash in a manner that indicates it's re-establishing a connection. And I intentionally reset it occasionally when I notice that the connection speed has slowed down. Would this explain any of this? Does the client need to continually (or frequently) communicate with the server? Does any of this explain why the client sometimes stops running on the Tivo?
That *might* explain it. The client does not need to continually contact the server, but it does check in, periodically, and if the connection is interrupted, its possible that it needs to establish a new one. What may be happening is that the connection information still needs to time out on the server side before a new one can be established, so there would be a period of time between you resetting your connection (or the connection being lost) and when the client can actually reconnect to the server.

I will discuss with the developers to get a better explanation, but an intermittent internet connection could definitely explain the issue...

Old 09-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #214
PowerfulOne

Quote:
Quote:
The client does not need to continually contact the server, but it does check in, periodically,
Quote:
the connection information still needs to time out on the server side before a new one can be established, so there would be a period of time between you resetting your connection (or the connection being lost) and when the client can actually reconnect to the server.
These periods of time you refer to, are you talking about 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 2 hours, what? That is, if the client is running, but not showing connected, about how long would it be before it did whatever it has to do to reestablish the connection?

And, for your information, all 4 of my Tivos are still working OK (showing connected on GotoMyDVR). It's been about two days now. And I did replace a bad section of cable in my phone wiring on Monday, which had probably been causing more irregularity on the internet connection than usual.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #215
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Inventory...

I have 3 units. I noticed random discos - but restarted the client via bash prompt command. I was away last weekend and was going to show a friend how it worked - but they were disconnected again. This AM, I went to check it - and again, all 3 were still disconnected.

Here's what I have (I just went to Directv 's web site for my model info):

Tivos: 3 units (1) HR10-250 (2) HNS 80 hour
ISP: Verizon FiOS
IP Add: Static IP
NIC: USB / Netgear FA120 (1 with wireless bridge)
Con/Dis: Disconnects
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #216
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecon
I have 3 units. I noticed random discos - but restarted the client via bash prompt command. I was away last weekend and was going to show a friend how it worked - but they were disconnected again. This AM, I went to check it - and again, all 3 were still disconnected.

Here's what I have (I just went to Directv 's web site for my model info):

Tivos: 3 units (1) HR10-250 (2) HNS 80 hour
ISP: Verizon FiOS
IP Add: Static IP
NIC: USB / Netgear FA120 (1 with wireless bridge)
Con/Dis: Disconnects
Made a small change to a configuration file on the server. Please let me know if it makes a difference. First just try connecting without restarting your clients. If you still get a disconnect message, please verify that the clients are still running. Then, if necessary, restart your clients (make sure you don't have multiple ones running - restart your TiVo, if necessary).

Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #217
PowerfulOne

Status on my problems

FYI, I've been trying a few experiments with my 4 Tivos and GotoMyDVR. I've determined that any interruption in my DSL connection, even a few seconds, results in all 4 going to "disconnected" in GotoMyDVR. The clients in the Tivos have been OK (that is, still running) after this (recently - in the past the clients have sometimes quit also). They do eventually reconnect, but it takes a lot longer than "a few minutes". I was trying to determine how long, but all I can tell you is longer than several hours. When I interrupt my DSL connection (and thus cause a "disconnected" state) in the afternoon or evening, they don't reconnect later that evening but are connected again the next morning.

EXCEPT, this morning I did it again, and all 4 were "disconnected", and when I checked again a couple of hours later they were connected again. Did the server change you mention in the previous post affect the reconnect time?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #218
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
FYI, I've been trying a few experiments with my 4 Tivos and GotoMyDVR. I've determined that any interruption in my DSL connection, even a few seconds, results in all 4 going to "disconnected" in GotoMyDVR. The clients in the Tivos have been OK (that is, still running) after this (recently - in the past the clients have sometimes quit also). They do eventually reconnect, but it takes a lot longer than "a few minutes". I was trying to determine how long, but all I can tell you is longer than several hours. When I interrupt my DSL connection (and thus cause a "disconnected" state) in the afternoon or evening, they don't reconnect later that evening but are connected again the next morning.

EXCEPT, this morning I did it again, and all 4 were "disconnected", and when I checked again a couple of hours later they were connected again. Did the server change you mention in the previous post affect the reconnect time?
Its not surprising that a disconnection of your DSL would result in the client not working. There are two sides to the equation, though - how often the client retries, and how long it takes the session on the server side to timeout. We'll look into it further, but its safe to say that a stable internet connection is your best friend.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #219
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Quote:
Made a small change to a configuration file on the server. Please let me know if it makes a difference. First just try connecting without restarting your clients. If you still get a disconnect message, please verify that the clients are still running. Then, if necessary, restart your clients (make sure you don't have multiple ones running - restart your TiVo, if necessary).
Hi Lou,

I could NOT connect so I ran ps -aux and found the client was NOT running on all three units. I ran "/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &" at the bash prompt and verified with ps -aux. Client is running on all 3 units. I went back to reading this forum for about 10 minutes and decided to go to the webpage and look at my TiVOs. ALL 3 are disconnected again.

I'm going to have to reread some more to see if I missed some sort of change that I need to do since the original install. I will say that when I installed the client it ran w/o issue for several days.. seems odd to me that now it won't run more than 10 minutes.

It looks like when I quit my telnet session - I lose the client. What did I miss??

Steve

Last edited by stevecon : 09-26-2006 at 09:28 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #220
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:

It looks like when I quit my telnet session - I lose the client. What did I miss??

Steve
That has definitely been covered, but very early in the thread; I haven't verified it, but I think on this particular system, if you close the telnet session, any 'child' processes in the background will close, as well. I've not known that to happen when a process is backgrounded and I do not know if that can be changed.

What I recommend you do is restart your TiVo and let the client startup as part of the normal startup sequence (start commands should be in your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file already), and see if that makes a difference.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #221
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Lou,

Yeah - I missed that early on. For whatever reason, there were no startup commands in my author file. I edited them in, and issued the "sync ; reboot" command and it came up - no problem last night. I just checked it again this AM & all 3 units are accessible.

I assume your "hammer away" request is still valid? I'll do what I can.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #222
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Lou,

Yeah - I missed that early on. For whatever reason, there were no startup commands in my author file. I edited them in, and issued the "sync ; reboot" command and it came up - no problem last night. I just checked it again this AM & all 3 units are accessible.

I assume your "hammer away" request is still valid? I'll do what I can.

Thanks!
Please keep hammering whenever possible.

As for folks who continue to get the 'disconnect' methods - we are working on the problem; its likely an update to the client will be required and we'll let you know as soon as anything is available for testing.

Please hang in there and keep using the site whenever you can!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #223
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

I have noticed that some pages will load quickly - and others slowly. I'll have to pay attention to the page(s) and see if it is repeatable/predictable.

Just now - I was tinkering with High Guide. I tried to save changes for some colors for conflicts, etc. and got a "server error" page. I reloaded and the changes were dropped. I entered them again, but used the submit button and they held. I attempted a change from displaying "Favorites" to "All" and the screen displayed the first 17 channels - but the next were blank - except for this message:

Unit disconnected!

Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later.

right in the middle of the process. Granted this page takes a great deal of time to load via TWP, but I thot it was odd that it would create a disconnect error.

Just thought you might want to know... BTW it's TWP 1.3.x on a Zippered 80 hr Directivo. It did however, reconnect on its own.

Last edited by stevecon : 09-28-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #224
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

I've managed to get the client to disconnect a couple of times - it seems like it happens when the page load speed is slow. Each time it disconnects, it reconnects on it's own within a minute or two - certainly acceptable to me. I was considering installing the TWP 1.4 beta, as from all accounts I've seen say it's considerably faster than 1.3.x (1.3.0? or 1.3.1?) I have currently.

I suspect the the speed of the page seems to be more related to the speed of TWP, not the GTMDVR client.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #225
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I've managed to get the client to disconnect a couple of times - it seems like it happens when the page load speed is slow. Each time it disconnects, it reconnects on it's own within a minute or two - certainly acceptable to me. I was considering installing the TWP 1.4 beta, as from all accounts I've seen say it's considerably faster than 1.3.x (1.3.0? or 1.3.1?) I have currently.

I suspect the the speed of the page seems to be more related to the speed of TWP, not the GTMDVR client.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, what you are experiencing is a 'disconnect message' that is associated with a timeout (there are some earlier posts here which discuss us fiddling around with the timeout value on the server to accomodate this in some cases).

The way you know its a client problem is when you click on your DVR from the "select TiVo menu" and right away it says:

Unit disconnected!

But if you are interacted with TWP and an operation takes longer than 30-45 seconds, and then you get the message, its a TWP/speed issue. Not much we can do about that (other than increase the timeout value on the server) as some operations with TWP are really really slow, which of course is a bummer, but you are right - has nothing to do with the gotomydvr scenario.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #226
PowerfulOne

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding, what you are experiencing is a 'disconnect message' that is associated with a timeout (there are some earlier posts here which discuss us fiddling around with the timeout value on the server to accomodate this in some cases).

The way you know its a client problem is when you click on your DVR from the "select TiVo menu" and right away it says:

Unit disconnected!

But if you are interacted with TWP and an operation takes longer than 30-45 seconds, and then you get the message, its a TWP/speed issue. Not much we can do about that (other than increase the timeout value on the server) as some operations with TWP are really really slow, which of course is a bummer, but you are right - has nothing to do with the gotomydvr scenario.
Would it be possible to make the error message that appears when the Tivo times out say something different than "disconnected"?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #227
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Would it be possible to make the error message that appears when the Tivo times out say something different than "disconnected"?
Yeah, put on something like the stewardesses say - "bu, bye"
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #228
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Right now its on the "list of things to look into..." -- suffice it to say, if you have to wait more than a second or two for the "disconnected" message to appear, its because of a timeout problem, not a client connection problem, for now.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #229
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Beta Client 1.1 Update

Hello -

We've updated the client build to 1.1. The dbclient is actually exactly the same, but the installer will reinstall the client as well as an additional helper app called the WATCHDOG. The WATCHDOG will periodically monitor the state of your connection to the server as well as the state of the dbclient. If your ISP drops your connection, or you powercycle your router, or something else strange happens where you lose your connection, the WATCHDOG will kill and restart your client within a minute or so and your connection should be re-established without issue.

I recommend that everyone testing simply update their clients by doing the following:

1) telnet to your TiVo
2) copy and paste the following:

http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh

sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh

sync; reboot

And you should be good to go.

Note that we are aware of the fact that the client does not run on 7.X on standalone units or on 6.3 for the HR10-250. We'll get a new client out soon.

Please give the aforementioned a try and hopefully this will resolve the disconnect issues!!!

Thx,
Lou

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 10-01-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #230
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Installed... Thanks, Lou!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #231
PowerfulOne

Quote:
Hello -

We've updated the client build to 1.1. The dbclient is actually exactly the same, but the installer will reinstall the client as well as an additional helper app called the WATCHDOG. The WATCHDOG will periodically monitor the state of your connection to the server as well as the state of the dbclient. If your ISP drops your connection, or you powercycle your router, or something else strange happens where you lose your connection, the WATCHDOG will kill and restart your client within a minute or so and your connection should be re-established without issue.

I recommend that everyone testing simply update their clients by doing the following:

1) telnet to your TiVo
2) copy and paste the following:

http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh

sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh

sync; restart

And you should be good to go.

Note that we are aware of the fact that the client does not run on 7.X on standalone units or on 6.3 for the HR10-250. We'll get a new client out soon.

Please give the aforementioned a try and hopefully this will resolve the disconnect issues!!!

Thx,
Lou
I installed this, and it seems to do what it advertises. I tried the same experiment I did last week, intentionally disconnecting my DSL connection momentarily, and all 4 of my Tivos would show "disconnected" if I tried them immediately, but they all came back in less than a minute.

BTW, I had to use "reboot" instead of "restart" on my 6.2 Tivos to get it to work; "restart" worked OK on the 2 Tivos running 3.1.1e.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #232
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
BTW, I had to use "reboot" instead of "restart" on my 6.2 Tivos to get it to work; "restart" worked OK on the 2 Tivos running 3.1.1e.
Yeah, me too. "restart" just froze my DTiVo's running 6.2. I had to unplug/replug.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #233
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Yeah, me too. "restart" just froze my DTiVo's running 6.2. I had to unplug/replug.
Thx guys - I'm going to change that right now. "reboot" seems to work better!

Old 10-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #234
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I installed this, and it seems to do what it advertises. I tried the same experiment I did last week, intentionally disconnecting my DSL connection momentarily, and all 4 of my Tivos would show "disconnected" if I tried them immediately, but they all came back in less than a minute.

PowerfulOne -

This is very good to hear; I've tried the same experiment here, simply changing the IP address of my router to a bogus one and essentially disabling it. The watchdog is currently set to monitor the connection every 30 seconds. If there are two consecutive failures, it will kill the existing dbclient and restart it. Currently, logging for the client is turned off, but if you feel like it, you can change that by editing the file

/gotomydvr/etc/watchdog.sh and setting the LOG variable accordingly; just remember to turn it off at some point or your filesystem may fill up...

Old 10-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #235
kewashi

The new version installed without a hitch here. Thanks
Networked with enhancements
A Lame unhacked R10
kewashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #236
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

disconnects?

Has everyone updated their client software? Has it made any difference?

Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #237
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Seems to be working well over here. I've checked over the last few days and have been able to connect, whereas previously after a day or two I had to restart the TiVo (or the gotomydvr app.)

I had one time where I couldn't connect but it seems like that was because TiVoWeb had stopped running for some reason, and had nothing to do with gotomydvr.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #238
mferris61

I Had Allot Of Disconnects Last Week, But Now It's Running Great, No Disconnects Over The Last Couple Of Days...

Great Work Guys!!!
mferris61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #239
PowerfulOne

Quote:
GotoMyDVR has continued to work fine on my Tivos (i.e., it connects fine every time I've tried it) since I installed this.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #240
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

I can connect every time I try. However, I get an occasional disconnect when attempting to perform a more complicated action. This is probably a timeout issue with the server because I can then perform simple actions right after with no problem.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote