TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #181
cotton168

LOL ChuckyBox! Yes, I have them on Wednesday of next week even though I could have scheduled a day earlier (have other commitments so couldn't make the time). I think they might be going crazy now that people who are getting the S3s need the CC installs. It really does seem like a lot of people have bought the S3s and need CCs in them. Wonder if we will have any luck with Charter next week?
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #182
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
LOL ChuckyBox!It really does seem like a lot of people have bought the S3s and need CCs in them. Wonder if we will have any luck with Charter next week?
I'm glad you put the little sarcasm guy at the end of your post, because otherwise I would have had to ask when was the last time anyone had any luck with Charter ever. About the only thing for which they have demonstrated a consistent level of competence is raising prices.

Hopefully we can nag, harass, bully or cajole them into making these cards work for us, but I don't have much hope for getting it going on the first try or two.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #183
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Bred
I'm sure the good folks at Charter would never resort to something as low as this, but...

I can't help but think that they're afraid of losing their DVR rental business, and are intentionally giving out cards that won't work fully with the TiVo S3 and then blaming it on TiVo, banking on the theory that their subscribers aren't technically savvy enough to figure out that it's actually Charter's problem and not Tivo's.
I’m with you on that. I’m wondering if the suits are in a smoky dark room saying,,,,, lets act like we don’t know how to make it work. Don’t tell the front line CSR and if pushed go out and make a half you know what attempt. Lets, not make sure all our ducks in a row and see if those who want cards go away. They had it there way concerning cc TV’s and it worked ( I went away and many others) but it seems more and more like it that they don’t want it to work, BUT know if they refuse flat out across the board that could get them in hot water. I don’t think it’s total stupidity, which is how it seems to be as of now. I also think they will come around if pushed, and may have to be pushed hard. they have to, we have the FCC ruling. GO US
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #184
octomonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
Hi-Bred, you are blazing a trail for a couple of us in the same Charter territory. I have them coming out Thursday afternoon, and another guy posted in this thread that he has them on Wednesday. Anyway, if you need to apply more pressure, be sure to tell them you know for a fact that they are going to have to do at least a couple more of these installs next week, so they better get it figured out.
Yeah, I'm in Pasadena, and I've got 'em coming out on Wednesday. I'll post the results (or lack thereof) after my "experience." Don't want to sound too negative, so I'm gonna hold out some hope and keep my fingers crossed!!!

I'm gettin' a little antsy...I want my HD!
octomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:41 AM   #185
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlungerMan
Lets, not make sure all our ducks in a row and see if those who want cards go away.
If I were a nickel and diming cable company that didn't want to change the status quo this is exactly what I'd do. I'm not saying they are doing that, they might just be inept rather than evil, but you know they make more off set top boxes than CableCARDS so evil is certainly an option. My plan for dealing with them is to give them their PVR back even if the CableCARDs don't work the first time. If they can't make my Tivo work with all my channels then I'm going to give them back too. I'll live with expanded basic until they can make everything work the way I want it to. They run the risk of me learning to accept life without family tier, premium tier, movie tier, and high def tier. They run the risk of me realizing that buying shows from iTunes is cheaper than from them. Basically they can make CableCARDS work flawlessly in my Tivo or they can make about 40% of what I now give them. I hope they're not too short-sighted on this--assuming that the CableCARD problems are due to something more than stupidity.
Horrortaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #186
bsather

The very knowledgeable and courteous Charter Tech showed up at 1:20 PM and he got right to work. Tested the signal strength, read thru the S3 instructions and proceeded to install the cards. The cards were brand new, Motorola with 4.21 firmware. Everything went good, although the premium and HD Tier were not working...so he decided to insert card #2 and then when the hit was sent, both cards were tuning in all channels. He was here a awhile...2 hrs 40 min, mainly waiting on hold for tech support to send the hit to the cards. Mentioned that having them both in at the same time and initializing them together worked as far as pairing them. Was very patient and willing to learn, as he suspected more customers would be wanting the S3 over the Moxi.

Last edited by bsather : 09-24-2006 at 05:02 PM.
bsather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #187
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Bred
I'm sure the good folks at Charter would never resort to something as low as this, but...

I can't help but think that they're afraid of losing their DVR rental business, and are intentionally giving out cards that won't work fully with the TiVo S3 and then blaming it on TiVo, banking on the theory that their subscribers aren't technically savvy enough to figure out that it's actually Charter's problem and not Tivo's.
That would require Charter to be Evil Genuises. I think Occam's razor points to Charter just not knowing how to setup a cable card correctly and then I do agree that they would not throw too much effort into figuring out the right process to get a 3rd party DVR working and then get training out on that
Old 09-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #188
jdmass

Charter letting me do it myself

I had an interesting experience ordering cards from Charter in the Worcester, MA area (Westboro, to be precise). I called and said I'd like to order 2 cable cards and return a box, and the very polite person I was speaking with said, "No problem, do you want a technician to come out or would you like to pick up the cards yourself". I was very surprised as most of what I've read has been that charter requires a truck roll. I asked him about the procedure, and he said that when I went to the office, they would provision the cards, and I can just take them and install them. Since I'd rather do it myself anyway, I said that I'd pick them up. So, I'm expecting my S3 on Friday, and will pick up the cards and let you know what happens. Any bets on whether this will work out? BTW, I never mentioned Tivo and he didn't ask about where they were going.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #189
cotton168

I'm not going to bet on this one because sometimes its a hit and miss. Good luck on your install jdmass and give us an update when you get everything up and running.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #190
bobafett86

Possible Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
J
(I still have one problem that I don't think is CC-related, or maybe it is - who knows? Both TNT-HD and Discovery-HD show either blank black "searching for signal" screens or occasionally show some very broken up video. I didn't notice that these two channels weren't working until after the tech left. I called in and the CSR "hit" the cards again, which made no difference... I'm going to try re-running my cable from the wall, then I guess call in and get a tech out here again to check signal strengths...!)

E
The problem you are descibing is usually a signal/ingress issue here in madison. You should call in a tech to check your signal levels and your splitter set up. This is pretty easy to fix once the problem is found. I really suspect this issue to be a signal issue and not the Tivo.

Curtis
Madison Area Quality Assurance Tech III
bobafett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #191
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett86
The problem you are descibing is usually a signal/ingress issue here in madison. You should call in a tech to check your signal levels and your splitter set up. This is pretty easy to fix once the problem is found. I really suspect this issue to be a signal issue and not the Tivo.

Curtis
Madison Area Quality Assurance Tech III
Nice to see you here bobafett, I remember seeing you being very helpful in the Moxi thread over at AVS.

Had a little scare with charter myself this morning, woke up to find a message on my voicemail. Well, only half of it. Had the dreaded feeling I was getting my CC install tomorrow morning canceled. Called in and found out they now do a call the day before they show up to confirm. What a relief!

*crossing fingers for smooth install tomorrow*
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #192
bobafett86

I hope it all goes smooth also. Let me know if you like the HD picture quality better with the Tivo or the Moxi. I am real tired of the 8 hours of recording HD time. Thinking about the Tivo. I like the option to latter on add a sata drive. I believe that Tivo won't keep promising this update and then never doing so. I want my storage.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #193
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

hmmm...so today my premium HD channels (HBO, Discovery, HD-Net, etc...) stopped working (intermittently).

I went into the Cablecard settings and tested the channels on Cablecard1 and Cablecard2, cablecard 2 works perfectly and gets all the channels, but not cablecard1.

I called Charter and they could not do anything over the phone, so they are sending someone with a new cablecard to see what he can do.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the visit on Thursday.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #194
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Charter tech just left. Success!!!! This is in Pell Lake, WI. 4 out of 4 cards were good, he had extras in case, but never needed them. Was at my house for about an hour and a half. First 10-15 minutes were outside checking levels and stuff before even starting. He pretty much let me run the remotes for getting between menus quick.

This was his first install of an S3 and also the person on the other end who was plugging the numbers in that he read off hadn't heard of the S3 either.

But anyways, I am now in 4 tuner TivoHD goodness!!!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #195
cotton168

Congrats Leo_N! It's great to hear that your Charter was able to get the HD running on their first try and with 4 CCs. That is unbelieveable. Here's to hoping that Wednesday will be my last time of having Charter out here.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #196
ThePlungerMan

I just got off the phone with an old friend who is a sup at charter. After 3 unsuccessful CC installs he tells me that, Yes the single card tuners are cable lab certified, but not the S3 Dual CC unit are not cable card certified yet and until then it’s wait and see for Cable labs to send the appropriate software etc, to them,
I told him that sound like a bunch of BS. He going to make calls and call me back.
I also told him I don’t think he was lying to me but that he was lied too.

He also said if he had the names and numbers of those successful install for Charter he could call them and find out the skinny. I told him just call the city and state. He said yeah might work but actual names would be better. If you want to email me I will keep you info on the down low but if you don’t I understand. Thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #197
Navarre

How is this the first time most of these techs are hearing about this thing? Does no one keep up with new tech?
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #198
TK421

Quote:
I hope it all goes smooth also. Let me know if you like the HD picture quality better with the Tivo or the Moxi. I am real tired of the 8 hours of recording HD time. Thinking about the Tivo. I like the option to latter on add a sata drive. I believe that Tivo won't keep promising this update and then never doing so. I want my storage.
bobafett, let me second the welcome. I had a Moxi for a while and followed the thread on AVS and I remember your contributions. I'm in the Madison market as well.
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #199
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
I just got off the phone with an old friend who is a sup at charter. After 3 unsuccessful CC installs he tells me that, Yes the single card tuners are cable lab certified, but not the S3 Dual CC unit are not cable card certified yet and until then it’s wait and see for Cable labs to send the appropriate software etc, to them,
I told him that sound like a bunch of BS. He going to make calls and call me back.
I also told him I don’t think he was lying to me but that he was lied too.

He also said if he had the names and numbers of those successful install for Charter he could call them and find out the skinny. I told him just call the city and state. He said yeah might work but actual names would be better. If you want to email me I will keep you info on the down low but if you don’t I understand. Thanks
Hi PlungerMan. First off I would like to thank you for hanging in here. I get the impression you’re a spectacular human being. If I was a single woman I would scam on your wonderful self.
Here is a news clip from Cable Labs, hope this helps. Again your awesome and thanks.

TiVo Product Verified as Digital Cable Ready

Louisville, Colorado, April 6, 2006—CableLabs® announced today that TiVo has successfully achieved verification status for the first “Digital Cable Ready” (DCR) product. The Tivo product was verified for compliance in a recently concluded test wave held at CableLabs.

The approval by CableLabs allows Tivo to build and deploy a CableCARD™-enabled DCR digital video recorder (DVR), and enables consumers to enjoy unidirectional digital and high-definition (HD) cable programming without the need for a set-top box. More than 400 digital television models from 22 different manufacturers now have been verified or self-verified for compliance with the DCR testing program. “We're excited to see the innovation that is possible in Digital Cable Ready products,” said Mike Hayashi, Chairman of the OpenCable Certification Board, and Senior Vice President, Advanced Engineering and Technology, Time Warner Cable.

CableLabs' testing is conducted to show compliance with the DCR test suite. Verification or certification indicates that the DTVs have shown compliance with the DCR test suite, but does not verify conformance with all applicable specifications, FCC rules, intellectual property licenses, or any other legal requirements applicable to DCR products, nor does it imply any subjective measure of product performance. Product claims are solely the responsibility of the company making the additional claims.

Founded in 1988 by members of the cable television industry, Cable Television Laboratories is a non-profit research and development consortium that is dedicated to pursuing new cable telecommunications technologies and to helping its cable operator members integrate those advancements into their business objectives. Cable operators from around the world are members. CableLabs maintains web sites at www.cablelabs.com; www.packetcable.com; www.cablemodem.com; www.cablenet.org; and www.opencable.com.

CableLabs®, DOCSIS®, CableHome®, PacketCable™, OpenCable™, OCAP™, CableCARD™, DCAS™, Go2BroadbandSM and CableNET® are marks of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #200
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoble
Spoke with Carla again today in the Charter Western Division Office (CA, OR, WA) and relayed to her the conversation with Van (one of the Tech Leads). She said that she was going to find out what the status was and give me a call back soon. I told her that we have at least one Charter customer (in another area) that has been successful and we would be more than happy to provide this information to them to find out if there are any similarities between the systems at all that can be gleaned. So... still waiting! Still lovin the TiVo. Not ready to send it back yet!
Howdy ckoble,
Where are you on this cable card debacle, did you give up? haven’t heard from you for days. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #201
ThePlungerMan

sent this to charter's web site,

Below this is the email I sent that you didn’t respond to. Below that is the email you sent back to me regarding my original complaint, informing me that everything was going to be working great, just in case you forgot me. I have a call into the Cable Franchise Board here in Long Beach Ca. Be afraid, be very afraid. Ha ha ha.
Here’s a catch up.
That old friend called me up today, (the supervisor at Charter) and told me single tuner cable card devices are certified by Cable Labs, but not dual tuners like the Tivo Series 3, again stating this device has not yet been certified by cable labs. Here is the press release form Cable Labs stating this not to be true.
http://www.cablelabs.com/news/pr/200...cr_040606.html
Your thoughts please, or am I on the ignore and don’t respond stage of your, ‘thanks we love you and want you to be a happy customer‘, customer service program’s PROGRAM FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #202
ThePlungerMan

Just got off the phone with a savvy sounding head tech dude in charge of the Charter’s southern region here in sunny so ca. Sounded encouraging and said will know more in a day or two. They were in the process of syncing up the cards so they can be auth to accept signals (while in the S3) from there head end, hence why all channels not coming in. Stay tuned. I know you all love me so no need to send any encouraging comments.. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #203
bobafett86

Leo N thoughts Please

Hey Leo N,

Do you have HD, if so do you think the picture quality is the same as the Moxi or better then the Moxi. I like the ability to hook up and external antenna, because that's the only way I see us getting Fox in HD. This sinclair and NFL networks battle is, in my opinion, never gonna end. I truly understand both sides of the battle, but I love football and I want to watch my football in HD. Plus the World Series is on Fox. Oh well, you need to let me know about the picture quality. Plungerman I am sorry that you still don't have any resolution. I hope it gets figured out quickly.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #204
ChuckyBox

Quote:
I know you all love me so no need to send any encouraging comments.. Thanks.
We're all still here PM, don't worry. It sounds like you are making progress. A few more of us So. Cal. types will be getting installs this week, so if it isn't working soon, there will be a lot more complaining voices in the Charter folks' ears. And if they make Chucky mad, he's going to drive down to their offices with a whole big truckload of whoop-ass.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #205
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Hey Leo N,

Do you have HD, if so do you think the picture quality is the same as the Moxi or better then the Moxi. I like the ability to hook up and external antenna, because that's the only way I see us getting Fox in HD. This sinclair and NFL networks battle is, in my opinion, never gonna end. I truly understand both sides of the battle, but I love football and I want to watch my football in HD. Plus the World Series is on Fox. Oh well, you need to let me know about the picture quality. Plungerman I am sorry that you still don't have any resolution. I hope it gets figured out quickly.
I know you asked Leo but my 1st impression is the S3 is a little better in pic quality. It was just one HD program I had recorded both Moxi component and S3 HDMI in, and the comparison was a quick look at both in one scene. Not enough to be conclusive for sure. The S3 HDMI connection seemed a tad better. A good hi def pic is hard to tell the difference. Thanks, and you too Chucky.

Last edited by ThePlungerMan : 09-25-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #206
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Hey Leo N,

Sorry it took so long to respond. As far as picture quality goes, I'd say:

Analog: TivoS3 looks much better
Digital: TivoS3 looks better
HD: TivoS3 looks slightly better (the Moxi already looked pretty good here)
I should add here that I am connecting the S3 with HDMI and the Moxi was with component, but I don't think that would have mattered as much as the difference in picture is.

Don't give up hope on FoxHD from Sinclair, I almost had and about a year ago, they finally came to some agreement, my bill didn't go up and we all of a sudden got FoxHD. Not that saying that helps while football is on in High Def and you can't get it though I suppose.

Have to say now that the S3s are up and running, I have a nice perma-grin. It is good to be back with Tivo doing all my recording!!

By the way, the Moxi gave me one last stab on its way out the door. Last night it lost 2 HD channels that screwed up like 3 recordings during primetime. It normally just takes a call to Charter to have them reset the box and like 20 minutes later they are back. But that is usually not until I have already missed some programs. Heh, yep, sure am going to miss that Moxi!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:22 PM   #207
rmracing

Success Story - Charter St. Louis

After reading all the posts, I was pretty nervous, but the installer came to the door today with 2 cards. When I pointed out the Tivo, he looked a little nervous, but then decided he'd be the first to do it, so off we went. After putting in the first cable card, the Tivo rebooted by itself, a little strange. It couldn't find any channels. Then we put the second cable card in and got an error on the screen, can't remember exactly, but something like 161-4. But after that, both tuners worked fine. Still running well, waiting to fill the guide so I can start my season passes.

My Moxi gets moved into my wife's office. Now I have 3 HD Moxis at a Tivo. Hopefully soon it will be 4 Tivos and no Moxis. 8 cable cards, sounds a little extreme!
rmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #208
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmracing
My Moxi gets moved into my wife's office.
I wish i had a wife, at least i think i do.
Moving on, that hi tech dude called AGAIN, about an hour latter. Said he was in this thread, (I told him he should read these posts to get a lay of the land) he sounded sincere once more, and did his best to reassure me, he is on it and knows he has to be, as more and more customers are going to be asking for these CC set ups.
So where I sit tonight, I feel confident.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #209
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmracing
After reading all the posts, I was pretty nervous, but the installer came to the door today with 2 cards. When I pointed out the Tivo, he looked a little nervous, but then decided he'd be the first to do it, so off we went. After putting in the first cable card, the Tivo rebooted by itself, a little strange. It couldn't find any channels. Then we put the second cable card in and got an error on the screen, can't remember exactly, but something like 161-4. But after that, both tuners worked fine. Still running well, waiting to fill the guide so I can start my season passes.

My Moxi gets moved into my wife's office. Now I have 3 HD Moxis at a Tivo. Hopefully soon it will be 4 Tivos and no Moxis. 8 cable cards, sounds a little extreme!
Those errors seem normal during the install. Seems to be before all the info is entered on the headend computer system. I was getting those errors on all 4 cable cards I had installed today, but once the install was done, all 4 cards were good to go and have been working great.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 AM   #210
cotton168

Hey PlungerMan! Very grateful for all that you have done for us. Keep us posted on the goings on with the Charter guy. He seems to be willing to help at least so that is a good sign. The Charter people are coming on Wednesday to redo the CCs so we'll see how much progress they get. Hopefully it will be the last of them.

rmracing, glad to hear that the Charter in your area had things running very well. Congrats!!! 8 CCs is rather extreme, but what can you?! LOL