TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Front panel disconnected

So, here is a new one. Late last night I am hooking up my (2) S3s in anticipation of my cablecard install this morning. The first one goes fine, everything is up and running, analog channels only of course due to no cablecard. The first one is connected to a standard tv that will soon be replaced by a HD set. I start installing the 2nd set to my main TV, a 60" Sony HD unit. Have the Tivo out on a table near TV so that it will be easy access for the cable guy. Plug the network cable in, HDMI cable into both the TV and tivo and finally the power cord gets plugged in. Look on the screen and see the Welcome, starting up display. So I figure it's looking good, I go mess around in the other room getting the first S3 setup to use only position 1 on the remote. Come back a little bit later to find the 2nd S3 waiting to start guided setup.

Now the weirdness, remote doesn't do anything. At this time I notice no lights on the front panel. This has me thinking: "was there anything on the front panel of the other at this time?" I try pressing buttons on the front of the unit. Nothing. So I think maybe it has frozen, unplug and try again. Same thing. Next I think maybe it's the HDMI cable for some reason stopping the process. So, I switch to component. Same problem. Now I am really starting to think I have a bad Tivo. My next idea is maybe I actually need the cable connected to the input to get any further.

Now at this time I still haven't copied any of my Series recordings setttings (Moxi's version of Season Pass) down to transfer over yet. So I don't want to mess with disconnecting the Moxi unit. I take the 2nd S3 and take it to the standard def TV where the first S3 was installed and hook it up there via composite video. Still same problem, can't get past first screen and no lights anywhere. Finally, I think to myself: "No way, they couldn't have." Enter torx driver at like 4am, take apart unit thinking to myself, that I would never get this lucky. Sure enough, the little miniature parallel looking cable going from the front panel to the motherboard is just hanging free. I go to my computer and check out Megazone's page (remember seeing the nice detailed inside photos there... thanks Megazone!!) find one that shows which way the cable was installed in the slot, plug it in and fire it up. Success!!

Well, that's the end of my story. Till the cable guys show up that is. (2-1/2 hours into their 4 hour window now) I hope that goes better than trying to just plug them in.
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Good for you having the guts to open it up and fix it yourself. A lot of guys would have just wrote it off as broken and returned it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
CCourtney

No security tape on these boxes indicating that it will void your warranty if you open it? My SA8300HD and my DHG-HDD500 both of this wonderful feature.

CCourtney
Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo has never done that to their TiVo brand boxes. Some of the other manufacturers have though. (i.e. Sony, Philips, Pioneer, etc...)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
fergiej
More hair, less 30lb

Are all of these boxes assembled in the same place? I've seen a few threads about this or that being disconnected or the IR sensor not aligned properly and such. Lousy Q&A. Maybe if we post the assembly location on the back for thse types of threads, TiVO can help improve the Q&A at this location if it's all the same.

I realize it's probably a small number, but any number of posts in this forum with a small select group shows a definite Q&A problem.
fergiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
lightrunner

Great job! I had to do something similar for a remote control problem that seems to be an issue with alot of Plasma and LCD owners. Here are the pictures of the open S3 as well as what I had to do to fix the IR interference issue.

http://public.fotki.com/lightrunner/tivo_remote_fix/

Here is the thread to the remote control issue that several users are having with their new S3

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...5&page=1&pp=30
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Good for you having the guts to open it up and fix it yourself. A lot of guys would have just wrote it off as broken and returned it.

Dan
Thanks! I thought it was worth the gamble. I really wanted them both running by the time the cable guy left today. I am one very happy TiVo'er again!
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
tophyr

I think I have this exact same problem. Will see if I can grab a Torx bit small enough tomorrow, but will probably just exchange it.

Assembly location is Mexico PL3.
tophyr is offline   Reply With Quote