TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #301
Diacritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshandmegan
I totally agree... Except the fact the installer has a direct Nextel connection to the home office for activation.

I'd hate to sit on hold for 30 min waiting to activate the cards...

If we can call an automated 800-number to activate our credit cards, why can't we do the same for CableCards? Someday, perhaps.
There's no reason they can't just do it through a web page -- esp if they are already your ISP. Imagine the level of service if you just plug them in and fill out a form on-line. There's an additional upside... hundreds of people employed at something they are better suited to.

--
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #302
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
I don't see why we can't just self-install the cards.

In most of the posts I read, it seems like the installer just hands us the cards and sits around until we're ready for him to call the head end.

I for one, would love that option. Assuming they actually show up next Sat, it'll have taken me 3 weeks of waiting in order to accomplish a 10 minute task - no wonder productivity in this country sucks.
Can anyone do a simple layout on how the cards are installed so I can show the installer (if necessary).
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #303
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Can anyone do a simple layout on how the cards are installed so I can show the installer (if necessary).
There is a sheet of paper included with the S3 with instructions for the installer.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #304
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacritical
There's no reason they can't just do it through a web page -- esp if they are already your ISP. Imagine the level of service if you just plug them in and fill out a form on-line. There's an additional upside... hundreds of people employed at something they are better suited to.

--
Security and authentication would likely be the main stumbling blocks. You are entering information that goes into the cable system head end. However there should be a way to make it happen. But.... cableco hates cablecards.... I dont think they will be especially anxious to make it easy on us.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #305
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
There is a sheet of paper included with the S3 with instructions for the installer.
Yes, but two questions come to mind. A. Can they read? B. If A is yes then WILL they????

When I first had my SA 8300 installed the installer couldn't figure out. He left saying he would come back next day. I went to SA's website and set it up myself.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #306
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Yes, but two questions come to mind. A. Can they read? B. If A is yes then WILL they????

When I first had my SA 8300 installed the installer couldn't figure out. He left saying he would come back next day. I went to SA's website and set it up myself.
Well... that IS the key question... you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Point well taken!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #307
ahaley42

I am still having problems with Premium channels on TWC in Austin. After my 5th card I finally got the second tuner to work and it gets premium but not #1. I had them unpair and repair my card1 and it didn't help. I took out the cards and ran through the installation again using first card1 and then card2. Card1 actually required that it be repaired, I called in and did this and it started getting premium channels but then card2 will no longer get them. Timewarner things I need a new card but it doesn't seem the issue is with the cards. Because they've both been able to get premium at some point, just not the same point.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #308
skweaz

Gold in Austin

Had to replace one card that would not tune any digital channels. After several unpairings/ repairings, multiple hits etc, I am now getting everything on both tuners. Very happy!
My tech actually came up from San Marcos and didn't have any cards with him (he said they don't stock any in SM), but he took the time to track one down in the city, took him about an hour. He had never done any CableCARD installs, but he was eager to learn about them and the TiVo. His persistance paid off and everything worked out great.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #309
BGreenstone

TW Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skweaz
Sort of. I have one card from 2004 and one from 2006. I get all HD and Premiums on both, but only the newer card gets all the digtal tier and analog channels. The old card can not tune digital tier channels for some reason, only analog. I worked with web chat support a few times yesterday and made it worse, getting error code 161-1 and at times, an endless loop of this message popping up (I can clear it if I am quick with the remote ). I have tech coming today to swap with a newer card.
I'm very close to having a fully functional system.
That's very useful information, thanks! TW is sending another guy out tomorrow morning, and hopefully he'll have the 2006 cards with him. If not, I'll tell him what happened with you and we'll see what they can do. Also, please let me know if the new card they're bringing you also fixes the other tuner. Is the new card still a Scientific Atlanta card?

-Brian
BGreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #310
hookbill
Feathered Member

My cc won't arrive until 10/21 and I haven't got my TiVo Series 3 yet. I'm just so hyped up on getting it and wanting everything to go right.

Sometimes I think I gotta stop reading this thread. It's stressing me out. Hey it does go find for most people, doesn't it?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #311
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGreenstone
That's very useful information, thanks! TW is sending another guy out tomorrow morning, and hopefully he'll have the 2006 cards with him. If not, I'll tell him what happened with you and we'll see what they can do. Also, please let me know if the new card they're bringing you also fixes the other tuner. Is the new card still a Scientific Atlanta card?

-Brian
I posted an update just above you, but I wasn't specific; the new card is dated 2005 and both are SA cards.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #312
elsumptero

TW Austin

So the installer finally left after about 5.5 hours of work.

We never got past the point I last reported - namely everything works except the HD premium tier (starz, cinemax, espn, hdnet, hdnet2, inhd, inhd2). All other non-SDV channels appear to work properly on both tuners.

Between the installers & support, the cards were paired, re-paired, authorized, swapped, replaced and initialized about 10 times. They got quite good at it.

In every case, the outcome was the same. It's as if they can't authorize that tier.

Between all this, the PVRs in the house all lost authorization at had to be reauthorized. They continue to work correctly.

Will try again next week...
elsumptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #313
besposito

Angry

I have had the exact same problem with TWC in Raleigh.

Ive got two S3s. TWC sent out contractor. Contractor installed two cable cards in first S3 and got working perfectly. All channels, HD and premium content. Been working perfectly.

Second S3 a different story. They have been out three times and installed 6 different cable cards. Sometimes I would get a few of the digital and HD channels, but not all. With the last set of cards I am receiving nothing but standard cable. Contractor says they have been having this problem with lots of customers. The TiVo setup shows the cards are authorized and working.

I really think the issue is with TWC not having their provisioning working and that they have been unable to properly "program" my cards on the second S3.

Contractor wants to come out again and replace cards for a forth time, but they say they dont have anymore in their warehouse and are going to get back to me. TWC has scheduled another "tech" to come out tomorrow and look at it.

Some how I fell that TWC doesnt feel particularly interested in solving the cablecard issues...looks like a conspriacy to me
besposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #314
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

In summary:
Time Warner, Austin, TX. I have INHD/HDNET, Locals, DiscoveryHD all working. The digital Movie and Sports Paks are working. The basic Digital channels are working, and the Analog channels are working. Some of the Analog channels which are also available as SDV are not working and some are , and there is different behavior between the two cards on that last count. Time Warner hates CableCARDs and apparently indoctrinates their techs to hate it too.

Time Warner Austin, TX requires a Truck Roll to install the cards. They put the Tech who came to my house to install the CableCARDS on hold for about 40 minutes before he could authorize the cards. During that time, he told me that he can't really do anything at my house, everything is done at the main office (why do they need to charge me for a truck roll then?). After about 2 hours on the phone with them, we finally got all the HD channels and the Analog channels authorized, however the SD digital channels were not authorized. A 2nd level Tech came out the next day (a Time Warner employee, the first was a contractor) and did nothing but complain about how they were being forced to provide CableCARDs and how I would be better off using their DVR. After another 2 hours on the phone with people who kept telling him to call somebody else, the SD digital channels started working on both CableCARDs. A hand full of channels are SDV, so I don't expect them to work. However Disney is both Analog and SDV, so I expect that to work, only the Analog feed. It does work on one CableCARD (the Analog signal is used), but it doesn't work on the second CableCARD (TiVo attempts to tune to the digital feed). The installer said that I should just use the tuner that works to record Disney, but TiVo doesn't work that way. Time Warner needs help configuring their network so that the CableCARDs use the Analog feed when the digital feed is SDV. Clearly it can be done, but somehow it is different between the two cards. Overall, it was a very painful experience getting it work, and I had to endure 2 hours of CableCARD hate from the Time Warner Employee. The Tech also told me that they planned to stop sending all analog and use SDV for everything to save bandwidth, then I would have to use the DVR that they provided.

All in all, Time Warner seems to hate CableCARDs and makes it as painful as possible to get them installed correctly. I still don't have Disney on one of the cards, but am scared to call them back lest they break something else. I don't have time to babysit a Tech at my house while he sits on hold and bouncing back and forth between people on the phone who don't want to help him.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #315
bsegraves

Relatively happy with Tivo in Austin

TimeWarner installed the two cable cards in my S3 and it took about 20 minutes.

After the tech had left I noticed that the second cable card kept failing on any channel over 1600 (it would briefly show the channel, then go to the "call service" screen), so I called tech support. They quickly realized that the card wasn't properly paired with my hostId. Once they fixed that everything worked great on both cable cards.

The only problem I have now is that channel 102 consistently brings up channel 1531 on both tuners. Kids aren't too happy about that. A tech is scheduled to come by the house today to figure it out.

Also, as reported by someone else, channel 111 (Boom, a kids channel) doesn't come in.

The HD quality is simply amazing, though. I've had no problems recording two HD shows at the same time. The Tivo seems to be less responsive when I'm recording a HD show, but it's hardly a reason to complain.

And unlike others, I've had no problems with the support I've received so far from Time Warner (other than the 20-30 minute wait times to get through to tech support).
bsegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #316
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

bsegraves: You will never get 102. It is a switched digital channel, which means that it requires 2 way communication, which the S3 can't do.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #317
LostInAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthnice
...but am scared to call them back lest they break something else.
Heh, I'm in the same boat regarding my occasional audio dropout. I think I'll just live with it for a while until TW has a little more experience with cable cards and the S3.
LostInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #318
labatt

I just had my cablecard's installed here in East Greenbush, NY. As with others, a number of channels are working, a number aren't. I haven't been able to localize it to a specific tier. This was the first S3 they have done out of this office. The tech asked the head end about the issue - they said to "wait an hour and see if the channels show up". I was pretty sure that this was just to delay, and the tech took off for another job. Anyway, one hour later, no change and I'm waiting to hear if the tech will be returning today.

Does anyone have anything I can share with TW that has helped? Everything I've read thus far just says unpair/repair and try a new card. Being in the tech industry, I'm really doubting it's the card and am guessing it's just a provisioning issue. Perhaps the card provisioning software just sucks and it has nothing to do with the provider. I used to see that all the time in carrier equipment. But if anyone has any definitive suggestions for when TW comes back I'd greatly appreciate it!
labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #319
bsegraves

Darthnice: Thanks for letting me know (though I wish they had just told me that).

I guess I'll cancel the service appt now - I'd rather them leave my system alone since it's currently working.
bsegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #320
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt

Does anyone have anything I can share with TW that has helped? Everything I've read thus far just says unpair/repair and try a new card. Being in the tech industry, I'm really doubting it's the card and am guessing it's just a provisioning issue. Perhaps the card provisioning software just sucks and it has nothing to do with the provider. I used to see that all the time in carrier equipment. But if anyone has any definitive suggestions for when TW comes back I'd greatly appreciate it!
I read somewhere the cable cards dated 2005 or later work better. I don't know if it's true but if there is a date on the cards you have, check it out.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #321
freiz

TWA - 102 remap and Tivo sound dropouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsegraves
The only problem I have now is that channel 102 consistently brings up channel 1531 on both tuners. Kids aren't too happy about that. A tech is scheduled to come by the house today to figure it out.
Yes, I noticed that as well. Odd. It would seem to be a mapping pushed by TWA. No loss here, my kids don't watch 102.

My life is almost complete - Tivo simply needs to resolve my audio dropouts. I'm seeing the sub 1 second audio dropouts that others have mentioned. Sometimes 5 - 6 times per 1 hour show, sometimes none at all. I have dropouts live and recorded.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #322
wehokev

TW in West Hollywood, CA

We hooked up the Series 3 TiVo Thursday night (9/21/06) to the raw cable (with no cable cards installed) and then did the guided setup. The line up channels 1-99 was perfect and we were able to record two shows at once – but had no HD since there were no cards installed.

Friday morning (9/22/06), the cable guy came and installed the cards. We were able to tune in all the channels 1-99 and 902-930 perfectly (we just pay for basic + HD). TiVo kept sending messages saying that we had to repeat the guided setup. So we did. Incidentally we had no problems with Time Warner, the installer, or the CableCards themselves.

Once we repeated the guided setup, channels 1-99 were all messed up and channels 902-930 just said “regular schedule.” That is, TiVo was not downloading the programming for the HD channels and was assigning the wrong programs to the basic channels. For example, TiVo thought the Fox News was on 32 when that was actually a local LA channel.

Eventually we got a line up that was very close to our actual line up by using 90210 for the zip code rather than 90069 where we actually live. The problem is about a third of the basic cable channels are not getting any program information. They are correctly identified, i.e. channel 59 is listed as Sci-Fi, but there is no program schedule. Also, for the channels where there is no schedule, if you look at them in the programming guide or the channel line up, the call letters all appear in lower case.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone else had this problem in West Hollywood? Or, has anyone a similar problem in some other city? How did you solve it?
wehokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #323
jacksonian

This is for the Greensboro/Triad TWC folks:
I actually got a reply from Jack Stanley, President of our local franchise, regarding my questions about them using SDV, here are his replies:

REPLY #1 (when I asked about SDV)

Dear xxx,

After my email correspondence dated 9/14/06 I have further consulted with our engineering team regarding the questions you raised with respect to TiVo 3 and SDV and would like to clarify several TWC positions.

First of all, I would like to assure you that we fully support CableCARDs in compliance with Federal law and will supply them to all verified and certified devices, including TiVo Series 3. We would be happy to set up a CableCARD installation for you if you do decide to purchase the TiVo Series 3.

While it is true that Time Warner Cable will be implementing switched digital technology (a service requiring two-way receiver devices), it is not true, as stated in your original email, that we are currently planning to deliver all of our channels via switched digital technology (“SDV”). Rather, we will be selectively choosing the channels to deliver via SDV based on various factors. By selectively deploying switched digital technology on certain channels, Time Warner Cable is able to gain the necessary bandwidth to offer more exciting programming and services for all of our customers. Unfortunately, one-way devices, including TiVo Series 3, are not capable of receiving those channels offered via this new technology. Nonetheless, you will be able to receive (and record) all other non-interactive programming that will continue to be delivered to all of our customers.

If you have had specific negative experiences with your leased set top box we would be very interested in hearing about them and would like to remedy the situation if possible. We are constantly striving to improve our equipment and services and to deploy the latest technology. We thank you again for being a loyal Time Warner Cable customer.

Sincerely,
Jack W. Stanley
Greensboro Division

REPLY #2 (when I asked which channels they were putting on SDV, specifically about HD)

Dear xxx,

At this point we have only 10 or so channels being delivered via SDV,
all of these have low viewership. It is our intent to migrate the lower
viewed services initially and determine at some later date the most
practical use of this technology. At this point our plan does not
include the HD signals, but that is not to say it would not at some
point in the future.

I know this is somewhat ambiguous and I apologize for that, but the fact
is, we simply haven't made those decisions as yet.

Hopefully this will help you for now though.

Thank you for letting me know about your concerns.

Jack W. Stanley
Greensboro Division
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #324
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by besposito
I have had the exact same problem with TWC in Raleigh.

Ive got two S3s. TWC sent out contractor. Contractor installed two cable cards in first S3 and got working perfectly. All channels, HD and premium content. Been working perfectly.

Second S3 a different story. They have been out three times and installed 6 different cable cards. Sometimes I would get a few of the digital and HD channels, but not all. With the last set of cards I am receiving nothing but standard cable. Contractor says they have been having this problem with lots of customers. The TiVo setup shows the cards are authorized and working.

I really think the issue is with TWC not having their provisioning working and that they have been unable to properly "program" my cards on the second S3.

Contractor wants to come out again and replace cards for a forth time, but they say they dont have anymore in their warehouse and are going to get back to me. TWC has scheduled another "tech" to come out tomorrow and look at it.

Some how I fell that TWC doesnt feel particularly interested in solving the cablecard issues...looks like a conspriacy to me

Well... have faith. Im in Apex and TWC Raleigh installed my cablecards on Friday. My S3 is up and running. My tech was Kevin (Tech #15553). The cablecard I moved from the TV to the S3 came up perfectly as it was already provisioned and only had to be re-paired. The two cards Kevin brought turned out to be bad. His supervisor brought two more and the first one plugged in paired and provisioned perfectly. Took 4 hours!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #325
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Well... have faith. Im in Apex and TWC Raleigh installed my cablecards on Friday. My S3 is up and running. My tech was Kevin (Tech #15553). The cablecard I moved from the TV to the S3 came up perfectly as it was already provisioned and only had to be re-paired. The two cards Kevin brought turned out to be bad. His supervisor brought two more and the first one plugged in paired and provisioned perfectly. Took 4 hours!!!
Well, wish me luck. We're moving from NoVA back to Cary, NC and from D* back to Cable. I've got two new S3's to get setup at my install next Wednesday. To the CSR taking my order's credit, she didn't bat an eye when I said I'd need a total of four cable cards for two devices. We'll see how the actual install goes...
Old 09-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #326
labatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
I just had my cablecard's installed here in East Greenbush, NY. As with others, a number of channels are working, a number aren't. I haven't been able to localize it to a specific tier. This was the first S3 they have done out of this office. The tech asked the head end about the issue - they said to "wait an hour and see if the channels show up". I was pretty sure that this was just to delay, and the tech took off for another job. Anyway, one hour later, no change and I'm waiting to hear if the tech will be returning today.
New tech is out here now. I had to walk him through the whole Tivo dual card thing. By the time he got here, card #1 died completely - when you click on configure it says it doesn't have the info from the provider. Both techs keep saying "This is why we're getting rid of the cablecard's", so I'm pretty nervous about the $800 I spent. The dead card is from 2005. The card that's not dead, but still isn't receiving all the channels, is from 2006. They have to go back to the warehouse to pick up more cards...
labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #327
BGreenstone

TW Austin

Well, 3rd time's a charm because TW came back out for the third time this morning and finally got things working 100%. I now have all of the HD channels and other channels that I was mysteriously not getting before.

Ends up it was not the CableCard as we had suspected. Other people had reported that swapping out older CC's for newer ones got channels to reappear, but in this case, the tech called the home base and had them reset everything in the computer. I guess they essentially "rebooted" the CC. That was all it took to fix it, and we did not have to swap out the old 2005 cards that they put in the other day.

So, I can now say that it is definitely possible to get a Tivo S3 working 100% with Time Warner in Austin.

-Brian
BGreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #328
NetJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
This is for the Greensboro/Triad TWC folks:
I guess we'll find out soon enough. Our CCs are being installed on Thursday.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #329
danator

TWC in Dallas.
My Installation was a no show job. Cable guy lied have me call with no answer but i was home waiting 3 hours with no call and no show. Call back in for explanation, again... i was promised the dispatch will call me within 10 minutes, 40 minutes later and nada... i waited for nothing.

After several calls, disconnection..... i lost, they won. Cable company lied to customer and i have to reshedule for next installation. I asked for a manager to return my call, i am not giving up yet.

Comcast were ok in Dallas, TWC came in cut off HD chanel then screwing customer... These are some sorry-ash lying cable company.
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #330
Franco
2 x Series3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator
Comcast were ok in Dallas, TWC came in cut off HD chanel then screwing customer... These are some sorry-ash lying cable company.
What exactly does "TWC came in cut off HD chanel"? When Time Warner took over from Comcast in your city did you lose HD channels? Because that's not what happened to me when Time Warner replaced Comcast.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote