TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #151
cotton168

All I basically told the people at Charter was that I needed cable cards (2 of them to be exact). If they asked if it was for a TV, I just tell them Yes. Since none of them know about the S3 and it being certified by Cable Labs, their response is always going to be, "Oh, we don't do that." However, little do they know that putting in a cable card in a TV is the same as putting it into the S3, at least that is how I see it.

Don't be discouraged and get another person on the line to schedule for a TV install. The tech guy who comes isn't going to really care. However, make sure he sees the install sheet that Tivo provides. Good luck!!!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 AM   #152
MadScience
I heart TiVo

Burbank ... final update (I hope)

Just wanted to let those still waiting for their install experience to know: I had some weirdness with my channels during the first day of the install. The Tech left my place around 2 or 3 (I was too excited about the HD channels to check the time closely). For the rest of that day ... until the next morning anyway ... the channels I'm paying for would appear and disappear. Not sure why except that this was the first activation of cable service at my place, well, aside from the high-speed internet service. It was primarily the Basic & Expanded channels that weren't "locking in". The screen would be black with some message about the channel not being available - which, of course, made me think the cards weren't working correctly.

Honestly, I went to sleep kinda pissed after scheduling a Tech to come take look this coming Monday. But when I woke up this morning everything was working fine. The Optimist in me feels like I'm out of the woods now. (The Pessimist in me isn't going to cancel the appointment until later this weekend.)

Good luck to all. Once its working its sooooo worth it.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #153
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Burbank ... final update (I hope)

The Optimist in me feels like I'm out of the woods now. (The Pessimist in me isn't going to cancel the appointment until later this weekend.)
Good luck to you MadScience. Hopefully things will go well and you can just cancel your Charter tech appointment. I'll be waiting for them to come on Wednesday to try to figure something out with my premium channels along with some other channels.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #154
hammond9705

I had my cards installed Friday by Charter in Southlake Texas. Went pretty well. The only thing that was a little strange was that once he installed the cards it took about 20 minutes to get the channel information. We were about to restart the whole process when it started working. He had never seen a HD Tivo before, but had problem with trying it.

Right now everything looks great.

Bob
hammond9705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #155
IPingUPing

So my story had a bug of a different kind. No problem getting my appointment set up (I said I wanted to "upgrade" in the phone menu, I probably got a sales rep who just wanted to get their commission and get me off the phone.)

When the tech did show up 45 minutes late at my house he only had 1 card, luckily when I told him it was for two, he had another in his truck. Only a minor panic attack there.

The tech did not know the screens and really didn't want to follow the instructions TiVo provided. We popped in both cards (Charter in Smyrna GA gives out Motorola cable cards) and found the pairing screen. It took a few minutes for that data to come up but it did. He called in to the office and gave them the # on the card (make sure he has it before you put the card in, that was bug #1) the host number and data number.

It worked! Total elapsed time, about 40 minutes. It's obvious these guys do not have a lot of finesse with electronics, so thanks to TiVo for making them installer-proof.

Now, for the other bug in my install, when they took my HD STB out, they deprovisioned the wrong box. My bedroom STB attached to my series 2 lost service and we had a days worth of all blank programming recorded before we caught it. Something else to check when they are done.
IPingUPing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #156
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

I'm an hour into my appointment window and I'm nervously waiting for the cable guy. I've re-read the installation threads and I think I know enough about it to keep the installer on the right track. I'll let you know how it goes, but until then think happy thoughts.
Horrortaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #157
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

Charter just called to tell me they're not coming today because they "don't have any digital cards today." They'll have them mid-week so I've got a new appointment. I hate to sound too cynical, but how likely is it that this is a runaround?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #158
tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
All I basically told the people at Charter was that I needed cable cards (2 of them to be exact). If they asked if it was for a TV, I just tell them Yes. Since none of them know about the S3 and it being certified by Cable Labs, their response is always going to be, "Oh, we don't do that." However, little do they know that putting in a cable card in a TV is the same as putting it into the S3, at least that is how I see it.

Don't be discouraged and get another person on the line to schedule for a TV install. The tech guy who comes isn't going to really care. However, make sure he sees the install sheet that Tivo provides. Good luck!!!
Thanks. I called back today and did not mention TiVo at all. Went smoothly this time. My appointment is on Tuesday.

I also got a reply from Charter's online customer support in which they assured me that Charter does support the S3.

BTW, on the TiVo homepage is a feedback form for CableCARD experiences with cable companies. I reported my case yesterday. Maybe we all should. It could help TiVo work with Charter to get their people trained.
tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #159
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
So now it has turned into a Charter blaming TiVo and TiVo blaming Charter.

Any ideas? Could this be Charter not wanting ts customers to use third party DVRs? Anyone else experience problems with Charter?
See my post this from this morning, 9/23, I basically have the same problem as you.

Hi-Bred
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #160
IPingUPing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrortaxi
Charter just called to tell me they're not coming today because they "don't have any digital cards today." They'll have them mid-week so I've got a new appointment. I hate to sound too cynical, but how likely is it that this is a runaround?
I'm as cynical as most about Charter, but hearing the demand for cable cards jump up signifigantly by reading these threads, it sounds reasonable.

In the mean time, here's something you might try to pass the time. Connect your cable tv line and do a channel scan. It will detect all the QAM channels, but most of them will be blacked out. I found two however (111-xx and 112-xx) that had unencrypted On Demand programming. It was fun seeing who in my neighborhood was watching Blues Clues or Skinamax.

[Edit: fixed typo]

Last edited by IPingUPing : 09-23-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #161
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in TN
Don't worry about it. Charter has to support it. They don't have a choice.
It seems like, for now, they have chosen not to support it despite the FCC mandate. I hope it won't take a class-action suit to get them to straighten out their act.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #162
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPingUPing
I'm as cynical as most about Charter, but hearing the demand for cable cards jump up signifigantly by reading these threads, it sounds reasonable.

In the mean time, here's something you might try to pass the time. Connect your cable tv line and do a channel scan. It will detect all the QAM channels, but most of them will be blacked out. I found two however (111-xx and 112-xx) that had unencrypted On Demand programming. It was fun seeing who in my neighborhood was watching Blues Clues of Skinamax.
Yeah, it does sound reasonable that if demand goes up that they'll have less--especially with the apparently horrendous out-of-the-box failure rate of CableCARDS. If people are grabbing them 2 at a time for new Tivos then that's a lot of lost revenue for the cable company on their own PVRs though--and I'll bet that they'll go to great lengths to keep that from happening. They have to provide CableCARDs, but they don't have to make it easy or fun for the customer to get them.

I'm going to try a channel scan. I forgot just how bad channels 2-99 suck.

I've also sent emails off to various departments at Charter asking why they're trying to charge me $4.50 for something that doesn't exist (HD CableCARD). Their phone and chat people just tell me that I'm misinformed. All the people watching HD with $1.50 a month cards say otherwise.

Anyway, my fingers are re-crossed for 9/28 between 3 and 5.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #163
2big4burb

I'm in southern california and I've had the same experience with Charter so far.

Charter: "We don't put cards in Tivo boxes"
Me: "Did I say tivo box? I meant tv with two slots, see you Friday"

But now I'm worried about what cards they will bring. Somebody posted here that the correct card configuration is: "CableLabs approved list for model number TCD648250B"

Questions:
Is this the correct card for S3?
Is this charter's default card that they are bringing anyway?

Thanks
2big4burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #164
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Well, the installation of my Tivo Series 3 was very simple - just followed the setup instructions and called to activate it (I transferred my lifetime service to the new Series 3). Yes, I was one of the lucky ones who got lifetime service while it was still available.

But then, the trouble began. Charter Communications is my cable provider and in my experience they have terrible customer service. First, I was given a 8-12 time window for someone to show up, and no one ever did (strike one). Then I called tech support and got routed to a call center in the Phillipines. The rep there had no way to get in touch with the technician because she said her communication link was down, and to call back later (strike two).

Finally, at 4:00pm the service technician had arrived. I had made so many phone calls (finally getting in touch with the local service dispatcher - but I'm still not sure how), that both the installer AND the technical supervirsor came to visit. They had the cards, but they had no idea that there were DVR's with cable card slots. They were completely dumbfounded by my S3. They had installed them in TV's before but never DVR's. So I explained to them how it worked, assuring them that, yes indeed, my DVR did accept two cards.

I walked them through the Tivo screens after the cards were inserted and they got the Host ID numbers give to Charter in order to activate them. After about a 20 minute phone call between them an Charter (on my phone), the cards were recognized and started to "work". But I can only get non-premium channels. I can get all normal "broadcast" channels, plus their HD versions, such as PBSHD, NBCHD, etc., but no Showtime, no Discovery HD and no Comedy Central! These channels are all part of my current subscription package, and work fine over my regular cable box supplied by Charter.

After a lot of back and forth on the phone, they determined that the Charter equipment was not working properly with the cable cards. They said they would be back tomorrow with new cards, and they would work to solve the problem until it was resolved

Without being an expert, I don't see how new cards would fix the problem, especially since they admitted that the problem was with the Charter system. But I'll play along until they get it fixed.

Well, now it's tomorrow and I just got a call from Charter saying that the technician had called in sick and would not be able to make it today, and they rescheduled it for tomorrow.

I'm trying not to be too upset about it, but Charter has one unhappy customer right now. Let's hope they don't reach strike three.

I'd be very interested to hear from other Charter subscribers who are trying to set up their S3. Send me a note or post and let me know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #165
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Bred
I'd be very interested to hear from other Charter subscribers who are trying to set up their S3. Send me a note or post and let me know how it goes.
What city/state are you in? Here in the Los Angeles area, it was absolutely painless to install the two cards with the only minor glitch being that the "test channels" only showed one or two channels, but once I completed guided setup, all the channels were working including HBO-HD, Discovery-HD etc...

More often then not, these types of problems are usually a misprogramming on their end.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #166
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

S3 with Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepia
What city/state are you in?

More often then not, these types of problems are usually a misprogramming on their end.
I'm in Altadena (upper Pasadena). I hope it is just a matter of "re-programming" their cards, although the tech manager who visited me claimed to know nothing about what Charter does to the cards.

I'm hoping he does his homework and comes back with the right ones!

BTW, non-premium "basic" HD is coming in fine now. In fact, right now I'm replaying a S3-recorded HD documentary by Robert X. Cringely about digital TV, and it looks awesome!. Unfortunately, the show is dated 1998...
Old 09-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #167
cotton168

I don't know Sepia because when Charter came to install on my Tivo, I got the same thing as Hi-Bred. I could only get the basic cable channels and none of the premium package that we've had for so long. The Charter person on the phone said it was due to the cards and that I had to get new ones so I scheduled another appointment for next Wednesday. Looking forward to getting this thing fixed once and for all. The pictures on the HD versions of broadcast channels look great! I cannot wait to start recording those instead of the regular ones.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #168
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
Thanks. I called back today and did not mention TiVo at all. Went smoothly this time. My appointment is on Tuesday.

I also got a reply from Charter's online customer support in which they assured me that Charter does support the S3.

BTW, on the TiVo homepage is a feedback form for CableCARD experiences with cable companies. I reported my case yesterday. Maybe we all should. It could help TiVo work with Charter to get their people trained.
Hey tux, glad to see that you were able to get the appointment without any hassles this time around. Yeah, sometimes, Charter can be a real pain in the behind. Also interesting to see that they say they do support the S3s. That is wonderful to hear, but still does not explain why so many people here are experiencing CC problems wtih their units. I think I'm going to do the feedback form so that TiVo can get Charter up and running.

Good luck on your install!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #169
StefanB

Hi All,

I got my CableCards installed in my Series 3 yesterday. Went pretty smoothly, did a firmware upgrade and all seemed to be working.

Now a day on both cards are showing 'Waiting for CP Auth' and while I get some HD channels (HBO, Showtime) others are not working (TNTHD, UniversalHD).

I've spent 2 hours on the phone with Charter and they don't seem to be able to fix this issue. I've scheduled a tech visit for Tuesday so we'll see.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stefan
StefanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #170
ThePlungerMan

I’ve had many problems and started a new thread to see if there is a correlation between different providers. Follow the link, you’ll see what I mean.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post4408993

Thanks
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #171
dominovm

Wooo! Success...Well only half way. I just had my third Charter visit and after an hour and a half we got one card completely working, and figured out why the first five card installs didn't work. Apparently when Charter gets the cards in they have to do two things, program the cards and activate them to work with their system. The cards were programmed, but not activated to work with the Charter system (none of the countless people at charter seemed to notice this or even know what the tech was talking about when he mentioned this...A supervisor in the warehouse was the person who finally figured this out). When the new card was installed, it only took about ten minutes to start working.
After we got the card working we installed the "bad" cards to see if there was a difference. It turns out that under the "SA CableCard CP Screen" under "PowerKey status" all the bad cards say "Ready: waiting for EMC". The working card just says "Ready". It says this even before it was activated by the cable company. Cable company is bringing me another card later on today. I don't know if this helps anyone but I thought I'd share.

By the way...All the bad cards (even though they were from three different visits) were all the same bin. The working card was an older card from a different bin.
dominovm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #172
cotton168

Nope, I just checked the CP screen for both cards and they all say "Ready" under the PowerKey Status. Still cannot get the HD premium channels working.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #173
etsolow
Don't Try

Just finished up with my Charter CableCARD install in Madison, WI. It took the (subcontracted) tech about 3 hours and multiple phone calls, and lots of hold-time, and lots of encouragement from me, but we were able to get the cards activated and functioning in the end! His initial reaction was "Oh, we don't support TiVos" but I talked him into giving it the ol' college try!

(I still have one problem that I don't think is CC-related, or maybe it is - who knows? Both TNT-HD and Discovery-HD show either blank black "searching for signal" screens or occasionally show some very broken up video. I didn't notice that these two channels weren't working until after the tech left. I called in and the CSR "hit" the cards again, which made no difference... I'm going to try re-running my cable from the wall, then I guess call in and get a tech out here again to check signal strengths...!)

E
etsolow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #174
Slappy

Thanks for info Dominovm- very helpful. I've just spent the afternoon/evening trying to figure out what's wrong with my cable cards. Installer couldn't get them working before he left. I called into the TWC office and after waiting on hold, I was told that the cards I had weren't properly authorized for their cable head unit. I figured it was just their wild guess/BS, but based on your post- I was able to verify. I'm getting the same error, so it looks like that is actually the case. Now I just have a to wait another six days for new cable cards, new technician, etc.....
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #175
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominovm
... It turns out that under the "SA CableCard CP Screen" under "PowerKey status" all the bad cards say "Ready: waiting for EMC". The working card just says "Ready". It says this even before it was activated by the cable company. ...
My screen says:
Decryption status: No ECMs detected
PowerKey status: Ready

Yet, I still do not get my premium HD channels (and yes, they come in fine on the old box). I only get the "Basic" HD channels, such as KCETDT

Screen shots: http://www.bridgespublishing.com/tivo/

Does anyone know what an ECM is?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #176
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Conspiracy Theory

I'm sure the good folks at Charter would never resort to something as low as this, but...

I can't help but think that they're afraid of losing their DVR rental business, and are intentionally giving out cards that won't work fully with the TiVo S3 and then blaming it on TiVo, banking on the theory that their subscribers aren't technically savvy enough to figure out that it's actually Charter's problem and not Tivo's.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #177
cotton168

Interesting theory, but I really don't think Charter would stoop that low. Wish I knew what an ECM meant, but I have no clue whatsoever.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #178
IPingUPing

Hi-Bred, I have to go with Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #179
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPingUPing
Hi-Bred, I have to go with Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Agreed. They have showed ample quantities of that. I was really just kidding - for anyone who thought I was really serious
Old 09-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #180
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Bred
I'm in Altadena (upper Pasadena). I hope it is just a matter of "re-programming" their cards, although the tech manager who visited me claimed to know nothing about what Charter does to the cards.

I'm hoping he does his homework and comes back with the right ones!
Hi-Bred, you are blazing a trail for a couple of us in the same Charter territory. I have them coming out Thursday afternoon, and another guy posted in this thread that he has them on Wednesday. (My original appt. was also for Wednesday, but it had to be cancelled and rescheduled for a reason that is incomprehensible and bizarre, even for the f**k ups at Charter.)

Anyway, if you need to apply more pressure, be sure to tell them you know for a fact that they are going to have to do at least a couple more of these installs next week, so they better get it figured out.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote