TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #91
Dark Helmet

Half-working

So, Cox Fairfax was here (late, but hey, at least he made it).

The guy had never seen a S3 before, but we gamely went through and figured out the instructions. First CableCARD he tried was dead (the S3 saw that it was inserted, but it just said that the card wasn't working properly). The second and third ones he tried seemed to work ... but I could only tune a few channels (a few of the network HD ones). Mind you, it KNEW about all of the channels, but the other ones just got a blank screen when they were tuned. The guy said, "Well, sometimes it takes up to a half hour to get all of the channels downloaded" (whatever THAT means).

I went to dinner. When I came back, CableCARD 1 works perfectly. CableCARD 2, however, has not changed it's state. I called Cox, and they tried "sending a few signals", which had no effect. So they scheduled a technician to come out and possibly try another card.

I guess my mistake was not insisting that all of the channels were working. Somehow, I feel like that second CableCARD is working, but it's just not initialized correctly somewhere at Cox. But at least Cox is willing to fix it.

BTW, has anyone noticed that after a reboot it takes a few minutes to get the CableCARDs to sync up with the headend?
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #92
jodell
TiVo geek

Dark Helmet,

After a reboot it seems to take a minute or two for the card to receive the authorization packets across the cable network.

Your problem with card two is very likely a setup problem. I had a few minutes with the exact same situation as yours. It turned out that the technician at the head end had not "balanced" the subscriptions. Basically, they authorized the card for for the basic channels but not for the premium channels. Another call to support should fix you right up.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #93
proudpapa

Wink Smooth operation in Henderson, NV

COX came out this morn. inserted the cards and within minutes data came back on the screen - he gave two sets of #'s to his Ofc. and within minutes all channels were displaying. No extra cards reqd. Even with testing, took abt 45 minutes, All seems to be working fine now - almost too easy.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #94
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodell
Dark Helmet,

After a reboot it seems to take a minute or two for the card to receive the authorization packets across the cable network.

Your problem with card two is very likely a setup problem. I had a few minutes with the exact same situation as yours. It turned out that the technician at the head end had not "balanced" the subscriptions. Basically, they authorized the card for for the basic channels but not for the premium channels. Another call to support should fix you right up.
Thanks for the suggestion; I did give them another call. The guy found out that the card was still listed in the database as being tied to another host ID, which wasn't either one of the Host ID's for the TiVo. He reset that, unpaired and re-paired the card. However, that didn't fix it. The install tech said that sometimes the cards take a while to "download the channels", whatever that means. At worst, I have a tech coming out on Saturday to replace the card with another one. Maybe tomorrow all of the channels will be tuning on that card.

It's an odd mix which aren't available ... some of the SD channels are there, and some of the HD channels are there. Weird things, like a block of channels around Cartoon Network aren't available. But other "expanded basic" channels are there.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 AM   #95
votsgirl

Arrow sorta working

I bought my series 3 through Circuit City. Cox (Chandler, AZ) came today to install the cable cards. We have only been able to get card 1 to work. card 2 knows all the channels I should be seeing but only displays video for channels 1-99 (which is displayed with or without the card in place). We tried everything to get card #2 to work--he called the office to send a signal, verify the host, we rebooted, reran setup. Nothing has worked.

We tried switching cards and card #2 worked correctly in slot 1, and card #1 did not work in slot 2. At this point I'm thinking there is something wrong with Tivo's slot #2. I called Tivo support but they were no help. Will be returning this Tivo tomorrow and getting another one to try. If the same problem occurs, its time to call the cable company again .
votsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #96
ehardman

I am located in Kansas and I just called Cox to arrange for the install. The CSR tells me the cards have to be ordered and will take about a week to get them.

Is this possible? Do I need to play CSR roulette?
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #97
Mitch71

Quick question re: Cox CC install. I've had my S3 since Fri pm, today is first Cox appt avail. The suspense is killing me. Unfortunately, I'm at work, my wife is meeting them, but doesn't really get TiVo at all.

After the Cox rep follows TiVo's instructions for the install, what is the easiest way for my wife to confirm that both cards are working properly before letting the Cox tech leave?

I'm hoping she doesn't have to go through the whole guided setup while he's waiting there... At the same time, I'm worried that if they leave before it's working correctly, we may have to wait another week to get them back out.

Any recommendations appreciated...
Mitch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #98
Dark Helmet

Verifying CableCard install works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch71
Quick question re: Cox CC install. I've had my S3 since Fri pm, today is first Cox appt avail. The suspense is killing me. Unfortunately, I'm at work, my wife is meeting them, but doesn't really get TiVo at all.

After the Cox rep follows TiVo's instructions for the install, what is the easiest way for my wife to confirm that both cards are working properly before letting the Cox tech leave?
Under the generic CableCard menu (the one that pops up when you insert/remove a CableCard), there's a "Configure CableCard 1" and "Configure CableCard 2" menu entries. Under those ones are "Test Channels". What you want to do is under each CableCard make sure you can tune ALL of the channels that you want. That was my mistake ... I didn't do that. Arguably the tech should have done that, but he wasn't quite the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #99
jhonaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman
I am located in Kansas and I just called Cox to arrange for the install. The CSR tells me the cards have to be ordered and will take about a week to get them.

Is this possible? Do I need to play CSR roulette?
I'm in VA, andit took about a week to schedule my install... it's possible it was because they had to get the cards, but I don't know. It seems like a lot of folks in here are reporting about a week to get their ccs installed.
jhonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #100
jhonaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by votsgirl
I bought my series 3 through Circuit City. Cox (Chandler, AZ) came today to install the cable cards. We have only been able to get card 1 to work. card 2 knows all the channels I should be seeing but only displays video for channels 1-99 (which is displayed with or without the card in place). We tried everything to get card #2 to work--he called the office to send a signal, verify the host, we rebooted, reran setup. Nothing has worked.

We tried switching cards and card #2 worked correctly in slot 1, and card #1 did not work in slot 2. At this point I'm thinking there is something wrong with Tivo's slot #2. I called Tivo support but they were no help. Will be returning this Tivo tomorrow and getting another one to try. If the same problem occurs, its time to call the cable company again .
So if the card itself is fine, and the tech knew enough to get the cards enabled... the only thing I can think of is card #2 is the top slot, and card #1 is the bottom slot. The instructions are pretty clear about installing card #1 (the bottom one) first.

Do you know if the tech put the bottom card in first? I don't know if it would make any difference or not. Do you still have both cards and the phone #s to activate them, so you can try again to see what happens?
jhonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #101
jodell
TiVo geek

votsgirl,

The problem doesn't seem like a bad TiVo, but rather a setup problem with the cable cards. Each card must be authorized to give you access to specific channels. It seems like a frequent problem where the tech provisioning the card "forgets" to add all of the authorizations. It took three attempts to get both cards working in my install. Luckily, all of the work is at the head end.

In my experience, the channels either work or not. They do not "trickle in over a few hours" so don't buy that BS from the tech.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #102
RoanokeHokie
"Lucky" 200 Member

I called Cox (Orange Co.) this morning to trade my DVR for 2 CableCARDs. I took the first "available" appointment slot, which is next Tuesday.

At first the rep. didn't seem to know about the "CableCARD" device. I threw out "digital cable ready", "TiVo', and "two CableCARD slots", which seemed to get it in the right direction. (Add in the obligatory "but you can't get VOD with the cards" statement from the rep. here.) He claimed that he could put only 1 CableCARD into the service call, and that he couldn't make a note that I needed 2.

After the appointment was set, he transferred me to "Video Technical Support" to see "if [i] can have multiple CableCARDs." Video support, though, said they aren't involved until the cards are installed. (What a shock!) They wanted to transfer me back to sales, but I told them sales forwarded me to them. I said that if they wanted to send be back to sales, that I wanted them to announce the call (to sales) so that they wouldn't just send me back. 15 minutes later, the video support tech asks if they can have a callback number - no, no calls for me at work, but I offered them an e-mail address. Video tech said they'd e-mailed the sales rep. to tell him to "add the second card" and that I should get an e-mail later to confirm the change.

Of course, this is Cox... I expect a tech on Tuesday to come to claim my DVR box and nothing else. *laughs* We'll see, and I'll update as I get more info.
RoanokeHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #103
jshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonaker
So if the card itself is fine, and the tech knew enough to get the cards enabled... the only thing I can think of is card #2 is the top slot, and card #1 is the bottom slot. The instructions are pretty clear about installing card #1 (the bottom one) first.

Do you know if the tech put the bottom card in first? I don't know if it would make any difference or not. Do you still have both cards and the phone #s to activate them, so you can try again to see what happens?

I had similar issues with both Slot #1 and Slot #2 not displaying any other channels besides 1-99. The Cox Phoenix tech tried putting in a new cable from the wall, boosting signal, etc. Turns out that it was definitely something on their end, because when it suddenly started working as he was on phone with person at Cox, he said it was because the two cards were entered wrong into the system. Not sure what that meant, but when whoever was on the other end of the phone with the tech entered the cards correctly into their system, the digital channels magically started working.
jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #104
votsgirl

Thumbs down No workie

The saga continues... Since Cox Cable Phoenix could not get the cablecard to work correctly in slot#2 and thought there might be something wrong with the Tivo slot #2, I went ahead today and exchanged my Tivo for a new one.

I put the cablecards in my new tivo unit and called Cox to change the host id's on them and do another synch. That was completed on Cox's side, but neither card will authorize. I have called Cox several times today to see if I can get someone on the phone that will confirm that the host id's and serial numbers are set up correctly and customer support will not help me and told me I need to schedule someone to come over to fix them. One non-helpful Cox representative told me that the cablecards don't use a host id and there's nothing they do on their side to make these cards work . He also said that they have a memo on their desk instructing them that they ARE to support Tivo but to warn customers to not remove the CableCards from the slots once they are activated and working. Waiting for the cable guy to come tomorrow morning and strong arm the main office to set these cards up right. If that doesn't work--then i give up--back to directv!

UPDATE---
Success!!! The cable man came today and worked with the office to get the cards working.

Last edited by votsgirl : 09-22-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #105
votsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonaker

The cable guy followed the tivo provided instructions to the letter. He definitely put the first card in slot #1 (the lower slot). I have since replaced the unit with a new one but now cox can't get the cards to even auth.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #106
Goofball

Cox Phoenix (Peoria, AZ) came out and installed my cards today. Everything is up and running and I am getting all of the channels I requested.

The installer only had 2 cards with him and was only expecting a single card TV style install so if you are ordering and have to deal with a truck roll make sure they note on the work order that the installer needs to bring 2 cards and a couple of spares and that the install is for a TiVo that uses 2 cards. This was the installers first TiVo and he was surprised at the whole thing. Cox might want to at least put a note out to the activation and installation techs so they are aware of the Series3...

The installer was able to get one card up and running immediately but the other was dead (kept insisting it needed to download firmware). He ended up calling another tech in the area and getting a couple of spare cards from him. The next one he tried after getting back from picking the cards up worked no problem.

I was getting tiling and signal loss on some of the digitals but an amp behind my media cabinet fixed that no problem. Before the amp I was in the low 70s according to the onboard signal meter on the channels that were tiling, now with the amp they are up in the mid 90s. I wish Cox would finish up with the digital simulcast conversion in this area so that I don't have to set all my season passes up on the 800 series test channels that may or may not stay where they are since I get some ugly noise on some of the analogs now with the amp.

Reran the guided setup and have been sitting on my ass watching InHD and DiscoveryHD for the last couple of hours. I can't wait for this weekend and getting the NASCAR Cup race recorded in HD off of TNTHD.

Overall I am pretty happy with the whole thing and I will update if I run into any problems.

Last edited by Goofball : 09-21-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 PM   #107
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by votsgirl
The cable guy followed the tivo provided instructions to the letter. He definitely put the first card in slot #1 (the lower slot). I have since replaced the unit with a new one but now cox can't get the cards to even auth.
Votsgirl dont go the regular customer service route call the 623.594.1000 get to the technical support and ask for a supervisor then they can transfer you to the cc tech group. This is a PITA but it can be done and you may have to try customer service a few times till you get someone who can help... when I had to get this done on one of my TVs it took almost an hour.

Good Luck
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #108
JeffDan

Cox Fairfax

I did tell the phone rep to bring two cards a couple of times but the tech still said "I am glad I brought more than one I thought it would only be one card."

When we first put in the cards it did take a while before the screens to pop up, but you can always get to that screen throught the configure card menu and from there the Host ID menu choice. Also, the test channels is an absolute must. It allows you to tune in the channels you want to check without going through the long guided setup.

On that day (Wednesday) I was happy to remember that FOX was currently in blackout for some reason. No picture so we just skipped over that. Everything else tuned in fine.

The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to read of all of those card and host id's to the tech back at the office through those crappy little walkie talkie phones. It took a couple of readings. Make sure they remember which card they put in which slot first or they will have to pull them out and try again.

At least I hope it is all working, I left that same night on vacation after spending an hour getting all the season passes loaded. I sure hope I have more than a blank screen to watch when I get home again.

J
JeffDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #109
sondhead

OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG IM going to kill myself

Cox OKC is over here right now and basically has their heads up their ass. He had to call for help. I'm going to die. This should be so easy. He won't listen to me.

Logan
sondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 AM   #110
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondhead
OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG IM going to kill myself

Cox OKC is over here right now and basically has their heads up their ass. He had to call for help. I'm going to die. This should be so easy. He won't listen to me.

Logan
Did you give him the printed TiVo installation sheet?
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #111
sondhead

Ya. Apparantly it "looks weird"
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #112
MickeS

"It looks weird" What, no color coded connectors and arrows pointing everywhere?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #113
sondhead

Apparantly. it's working now thank GOODNESS. I was a little scared. Do the techs really have to whine and gritch about it so much though? Get over it people! They couldn't understand why I was going with TiVo and not their own boxes. They're like well we're switching to TiVo DVRS through our system and I was just like great. I still would buy one because I'd rather own one and give my money to TiVo rather than you. Plus, this cost $800 so DO IT
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #114
ValleySooner

Glad to hear it's working for you. I have a Cox OKC install appointment set up for Tuesday. I wonder if I'll get the same installer? I'm not sure whether I should hope for that or not.
ValleySooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #115
pmrowley

I am in Los Angeles/OC as well; my CCs were installed yesterday. I made the original call, and just told them that I needed 2 cable cards, and didn't bother to correct them when they confirmed two separate devices; they charge installation for each card, regardless of where they're installed.

I then stopped by my local Cox store (right down the street,) to confirm the installation. I *always* like to walk into the store because the head sales guy in the store mentioned to me the day I wanted to trade up to a HD decoder, "Oh yeah, we love it when people want to do it themselves; we don't have to schedule a truck roll. If you know what you're doing, that's great!" He then gave me a free 3-month trade-up to the DVR, and gave me their Premier Data Service to try out for 3 months for no charge, since I didn't want a truck roll.

So, I confirmed my installation with him, and expressed some disappointment that they didn't have cards in the store so I could do the install myself and save the truck roll. Right then and there, he dropped the install charge for the second card, and dropped the DVR rental charge for the month (since I wanted to keep the DVR until we've emptied it; we have a couple of The Adventures of Sharpe to get through still...)

Installation day; the tech mentioned the meeting they had the day before, and mentioned that they had problems when they installed both cards at the same time. So he followed the instructions to the letter, we were patient and waited for the cards to initialize and get authorized one by one, then I tested the upper HD and HD Premium channels for each card. Other than a 161-4 error (ignorable) everything came up without a hitch, and the tech left after about 20 minutes. In leaving, he also mentioned that the signal coming to the Tivo was one of the strongest he'd seen, courtesy of the straight home-run to the Tivo (Cable Modem and Digital phone use the other home-run.) That probably alleviated some issues as well.

Cheers,
-P
pmrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #116
Dark Helmet

All's well that ends well with Cox/Fairfax

So, as a postscript to my Cox/Fairfax problems ...

The technician came out again today (again, late like last time ... again, he said it was because he had to get extra CableCards. Whatever). It was the same technician I had during my initial install.

He popped out CableCard #2 (the one that was only tuning a subset of channels), put in a new one, called up to authorize it, and within a minute it was tuning everything. He was kind of surprised it happened so quickly, actually.

So, I don't really know if it was a bad CableCard, or a problem with the headend, but it's all working now. Goodbye, DirecTV!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #117
lasergecko

Let's play a game!

Can you guess which of the following phrases were said by the Cox Las Vegas technician after handing the unread instruction sheet back to me:

"I'm not allowed to touch a TiVo."

"CableCards don't go in da TiVo. They go in da TV."

"I'm going to have to call my boss."

"Where does the other card go?"
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #118
moyekj

I say all of the above
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #119
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergecko
Let's play a game!

Can you guess which of the following phrases were said by the Cox Las Vegas technician after handing the unread instruction sheet back to me:

"I'm not allowed to touch a TiVo."

"CableCards don't go in da TiVo. They go in da TV."

"I'm going to have to call my boss."

"Where does the other card go?"
The suspense is killing me. Just spill it. (I'm betting one or three)

I'm moving to Las Vegas in January and am going to get a S3 when I get there, so I'm hoping most of these problems will be worked out in the next three months.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #120
lasergecko

moyekj wins the prize.

It took almost two hours for the install partially because the guy spent twenty minutes on the phone with a supervisor after he refused to read the CableCard Installer Instruction Sheet. He also kept ejecting the cards while their firmware was updating.

Moron.

Then, after all of the hassles involved with getting him to understand what to do, he hands me two pieces of paper from the cards.

The PowerKey CableCARD Module Installation Instructions

I will take some photos later, but they are very, very, very clearly designed to be self-installed.

Last edited by lasergecko : 09-24-2006 at 01:28 PM.
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote