TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #241
Spastic

TW Austin Update

I posted yesterday about how I waited through my whole appointment window, then they called me at the very end to let me know they ran out of cable cards. Well, the installer called me back around 3 and said that he had got a hold of some more cable cards, and he could do the install now. Luckily, my wife was home, so I told him to come by. All my info about the install is second hand through my wife, but apparently it took them about 2 hours to get everything done. I guess most of that time was spent waiting to get through the phone lines to tech support to get the cards authorized. Also, apparently there is a signal quality problem with some of the low analog channels, so he's going to come back today and replace a cable outside.

Everything seems to be working great now, except I'm not getting ESPN HD, HDNet, and HDNet Movies. I was definitely getting those before. I don't get any "not authorized" screen or anything like that, just a black screen. I'm going to call TW today and see what happened there.
Spastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #242
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastic
Everything seems to be working great now, except I'm not getting ESPN HD, HDNet, and HDNet Movies. I was definitely getting those before. I don't get any "not authorized" screen or anything like that, just a black screen. I'm going to call TW today and see what happened there.
I had this problem last night but the web chat support guy noticed only one of my cards was authorized for the HDNet stuff. He rehit them and all is well.

All my HD stuff is coming in fine on both cards, which is great. However, NONE of my "digital" tier stuff works unless the channel has a lower end analog equivalent (A & E, History etc.).
Still working with support on this. Anyone else in my situation? I upgraded my package from analog only to digital/ hd, I have never had a cable box.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #243
tylerc

I've had nothing but problems with TW, their DVR's are total crap. The dvr they gave me broke within 2 days of getting it, I'm getting a series 3 as soon as the price comes down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #244
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc
I've had nothing but problems with TW, their DVR's are total crap. The dvr they gave me broke within 2 days of getting it, I'm getting a series 3 as soon as the price comes down.
Hang on, to be fair, I did go through 2 S3 TiVos before I got one that worked. Whereas the TW DVR "worked" from day 1.

I say "worked" because I hate hate hate the SA user interface which is why I'm heartbroken that TWC Austin is having problems with Cable Cards.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #245
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
All is well now.... Took 4.5 hours and 4 cablecards but all is now up and running. HD Heaven.... Now to enter alllllllll those season passes....

TWC installer worked very hard and was determined to get it working.

Im a happy camper. Good job TWC Raleigh.
Attached is a quick spreadsheet to calculate cable bill based on # of cablecards, cable boxes and dvr's. It assumes Digipic 1000 combo with Roadrunner and Digital Phone.

Cablecards end up costing $2.75 per month, digital boxes $8.95 and DVR's $15.90 (or 6.95 if its your only digital box).

Enjoy.....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #246
BL

I got my cable cards on Thursday, and the picture quality has been excellent. I thought there was something wrong because there were a lot of channels I was not getting, but when I called I learned that (a surprise to me) they were all the west-coast versions of channels and had been put on switched digital. I never dreamed that back-water Maine would have gone to switched digital yet, but they have.

All of the remaining (non-bi-directional) channels come in fine, but I did have to get them to authorize TCM and Fox movies specially as they forgot initially.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #247
eisenb11

Bah, still stuck on my 10-7 resched. TWC refused to even contact the installer to get me an ETA.

Stupid arsholes expect me to sit around all day with my thumb up my butt.

I'm writing the FCC and complaining about false advertising. "On time guarantee" my arse... it looks like 2-days is going to be wasted because they're so "on time".
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #248
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
Bah, still stuck on my 10-7 resched. TWC refused to even contact the installer to get me an ETA.

Stupid arsholes expect me to sit around all day with my thumb up my butt.

I'm writing the FCC and complaining about false advertising. "On time guarantee" my arse... it looks like 2-days is going to be wasted because they're so "on time".
Tell me about it. I have an 8am - 12pm appointment today for CC install. I called at 11:55am to find out where they were. After being on hold for 15 minutes, I was told that a Foreman was required to install CableCards and that my appointment had been extended from 8am to 6pm. Are you trying to tell me that a regular service guy can't pop two cards in a box and make a phone call??
So I now have a 10 hour window and who knows if they'll even show. Ridiculous.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #249
Lisa898

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
Tell me about it. I have an 8am - 12pm appointment today for CC install. I called at 11:55am to find out where they were. After being on hold for 15 minutes, I was told that a Foreman was required to install CableCards and that my appointment had been extended from 8am to 6pm. Are you trying to tell me that a regular service guy can't pop two cards in a box and make a phone call??

Good luck. I've had TW Brooklyn not show up until after 7 before. My appointment isn't until next Saturday, I'll be interested to hear how yours goes. The upside is that if they are sending a supervisor, it will be a real TW person instead of a subcontractor which is probably better in the long run.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #250
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
The upside is that if they are sending a supervisor, it will be a real TW person instead of a subcontractor which is probably better in the long run.
Thanks - I did think of that and that may be the only saving grace. I'll report back when and if it's done.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #251
hookbill
Feathered Member

I just got off the phone with TW here in N.E. Ohio. No matter how many times I asked the rep kept insisting that I only would get one cable card. I tried very hard to explain it to her. The best I could do was get her to type on the sheet and put on there I needed two cable card. She said "ok, but he's only going to bring out one."

Idiots.

I'm thinking about calling back, cancelling the installation and then calling back and saying I have two new tv sets that need cable cards installed.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #252
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
I just got off the phone with TW here in N.E. Ohio. No matter how many times I asked the rep kept insisting that I only would get one cable card. I tried very hard to explain it to her. The best I could do was get her to type on the sheet and put on there I needed two cable card. She said "ok, but he's only going to bring out one."

Idiots.

I'm thinking about calling back, cancelling the installation and then calling back and saying I have two new tv sets that need cable cards installed.
That is what you need to do. Tech told me that their system only understands one cablecard per device. Once we got past that... all was well.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #253
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
Hmm, that's wierd. Yesterday I was told that only a sub-contractor can do the install... hence why I had to wait another day because they blew my appt.

They're a pretty sad operation... it took over 3 hours for the supe to figure out where his sub-contractor was... sad...

And, yes, apparently it does take a rocket scientist to write down the number off the card, write down the number off the Tivo, and to call a phone number and read said numbers...

Hmmm, perhaps this is a sign that our public school system needs to be reformed!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #254
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
That is what you need to do. Tech told me that their system only understands one cablecard per device. Once we got past that... all was well.
Yep, that's what I did. Went smooth as silk!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #255
ThePlungerMan

Iíve had many problems and started a new thread to see if there is a correlation between different providers. Follow the link, youíll see what I mean.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post4408993
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #256
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlungerMan
Iíve had many problems and started a new thread to see if there is a correlation between different providers. Follow the link, youíll see what I mean.

It's hard to see the correlation between providers when not a single post in your thread states who your providers are...
Old 09-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #257
JKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlungerMan

Interesting way to try and highjack an informative thread. I hope folks here donít fall for itl
Series 3, 131 hrs.HD (WD Green 1TB)
SVR2000, 160 hrs.
JKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #258
Tok3n

TWC - Austin and missing Discovery HD, HBO HD etc...

My Tivo S3 arrived at my door last week ( I happily replaced my Sony DVR ). My S3 install was smooth and my only problem was getting my HD channels. I went through countless TW support techs, which was nothing but pain and frustration until I discovered the online chat they have on their site. My chat log attached:

Snoopie> Thank you for contacting Time Warner Technical Support Chat, my name is Snoopie. May I get the first and last name of the account holder, and also the 10 digit phone number on the account please?
Sub_Tok3n> James Woods XXX-XXX-XXXX
Snoopie> Thank you very much, and how may I assist you today?
Sub_Tok3n> I'm having problems with channels 1617, TNTHD and 790 ( HBO HD ) they show for a second then I get a cablecard message
Sub_Tok3n> Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth
Snoopie> Okay I can look at that for you
Snoopie>okay so it looks like the account is setup correctly
Snoopie> let me try to unpair and re-pair the card for you
Sub_Tok3n> it gives me the cablecard id: x-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
Sub_Tok3n> and hostid: x-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
Snoopie> thank could be an issue there/
Snoopie> Let me take care of that for you
Snoopie> Alright so the cable card ID is XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Snoopie> Just verifying that that is correct cause that would cause an issue
Sub_Tok3n> correct
Snoopie> okay and that is the correct Host ID?
Snoopie> Again just making sure
Sub_Tok3n> yes
Snoopie> great go ahead and check those channels now
Sub_Tok3n> your the MAN!
Snoopie> Excellent!
Snoopie> alright anything else today?
Sub_Tok3n> thats it thanks!
Snoopie> No problem have a nice day.
Snoopie> Analyst has closed chat and left the room

Wow... it was that simple, I didn't even have to reset my Tivo.
I hope this helps other TWC customers in Austin,TX !!!
Tok3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #259
Houtech

Northwest Houston Report

I finally got around to setting up my new S3 today. I had my two CC cards that I picked up the other day and I began the setup. At the CC screen I called TW Houston and got the tech on the line immediately, no waiting. He wanted me to plug both cards in at the same time. I had a heads up on the forum that this was how TW wanted to do it, so ignoring the Tivo instructions I shoved both cards into the back and got a 161-1 error on my card slot 2. The tech had me switch the cards and now the error was on card slot 1. He said it was a bad card so I pulled it out and headed to the Tidwell TW storefront and exchanged it for a new card. Then I went home and plug it in. No error message on ether card now! Re-called TW and started over. Amazingly one of my cards was already authorized, the tech said he had never seen that before. I was already able to surf all my subscribed channels and the HD tier even while I was talking to the tech on the phone. He said that they would authorize the other card within 24 hours and hung up, I was a happy camper.

Then...a half hour later, I couldn't get any channels, even the lower analog channels were out. I looked on the CableCard setup screen and now both cards were "not authorized" not just the second card as before. I decide to wait it out for awhile and took care of some other business.

About 2 hours later, everything began to work again. The box even started to record a channel while I was surfing another channel. Interestingly, I checked on the status of the cards in setup and it shows that only CC1 is authorized, CC2 is still showing not authorized yet I was recording one digital channel and watching another in the HD tier. Whatever, it works.
Houtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #260
Scopeman
2 x Basic Roamio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAustin
I picked up the TiVo on Thursday from Fry's (apparently box #2 of 3).
Apparently I got box #1 of 3 when they were first uncrated. I wonder If there is some special treat for that (besides the audio drop out issue). :-)

FYI - last night the had 1 or 2 more at Fry's in North Austin from second batch.

I have not yet stepped up for CableCard from TX Round Rock, and I am beginning to wonder if I should even bother given the amount of churn and heartache I have read about in this thread.

90% of what I watch is available OTA - which means a $0 cable bill. Pretty tempting.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #261
VoodooNYC

The Time Warner guy is here now. The first CableCard has been stuck on a screen authorizing firmware update for the past hour!!!! He said he may have to come back tomorrow. Anyone else have this problem????
Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #262
eisenb11

Still waiting for the cable man...

They blew off my 10-12 appt yesterday and we now have about 1 hour left in my 10-7 appt for today... this is very frustrating...
Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #263
zimmou

Appointment missed

Also had problems with that sub-contracter TWC NYC is using. I had a 10-2 slot. I called at 2 and apparently my work order was not sent to them, and their dispatcher wouldn't accommodate me until tuesday morning.

I have to give them credit this time, the phone rep was very honest and helpful. He assures me i'll be the first house they do on Tuesday (we'll see) and gave me a month's credit and waived my install fee without me even raising much of a fuss.

I think it's worth it. The OTA signals come in so well on my tivo it's no big deal...

ryan
zimmou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #264
eisenb11

Be careful, the devil lies through false promises!

I just called in and got word that my 10-7 resched for today is blown (after they blew my 10-12 appt yesterday). They say that someone *will* show up today, but late... which is ok but I question if someone is really going to show up at all...

Update:

Grrrr... It's almost 9 now... I'm starting to think that they've failed to carry-through yet again. 2 missed appointments, 2 days in a row, 1 day of PTO (friday), and 1 weekend (saturday) ruined sitting around the damned house waiting for their goon to show up. I hate Time Warner... they can go to hell.

Last edited by eisenb11 : 09-23-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #265
eisenb11

Those bastards. Once again they don't show up and don't call like they're supposed to... and rescheduled to Wed without telling me. I have to work, no one is around on Wed.

Thanks for ruining my weekend and my day off to make me sit around the house waiting.

Heads will roll...
Old 09-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #266
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Those bastards. Once again they don't show up and don't call like they're supposed to... and rescheduled to Wed without telling me. I have to work, no one is around on Wed.

Thanks for ruining my weekend and my day off to make me sit around the house waiting.

Heads will roll...
Wow you must be miffed. Hang in there, they want you to give up, don't.
We can be remembered for the generation that took on the Cable Co giants and won.
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #267
hookbill
Feathered Member

Didn't TW use to guarantee it would make their service calls? I'm astounded by people having all these problems.

I'm also worried about my appointment on 10/9. We were Adelphia, now TW. As far as I can tell however it's the same people running the show.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #268
eisenb11

The areas here were Adelphia & Comcast and got absorbed by TWC.

They do guarantee on time appointments (they blast it all over the radio) but it's basically a bunch of BS. If they're late or don't show up all they do is offer to credit you $20... yippy!

I got $20 creditted for yesterday, and another $20 for today.

Then I told them I'm really angry and I want more to appease me, so I now also have $10 off my internet bill for the next 6 months, $15 off my cable bill for the next 6 months, my HBO is now free for 3 months, and they gave me the Showtime/MovieChannel package free for the for next 3 months.

I'm now rescheduled for next Saturday. No idea what I'm going to have to ask for if those idiots end up not showing up again when that comes around.

What sucks is that I'm at 1 in 4 right now. They did a no-show during my initial cable install and didn't come by until the second attempt. I'm now on my third attempt for CableCards with two no-shows in a row.

The impression I'm getting is that they've found a way to slow CableCard adoption in the area. From the way it sounds, it seems like they only have a tiny number of contractors (sounds like 1) handling everything over here. That way it looks like they're trying to comply with the FCC mandate while they're tying everyone up.

Evil bastards... I hate them... Can't wait until the FIOS rollout reaches over here...

PS. One of the CSRs told me that at the end of the work day today, there were 6 unfulfilled rollouts for the day. Shows how much they suck.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 AM   #269
SoBayJake

Quote:
The areas here were Adelphia & Comcast and got absorbed by TWC.

They do guarantee on time appointments (they blast it all over the radio) but it's basically a bunch of BS. If they're late or don't show up all they do is offer to credit you $20... yippy!

I got $20 creditted for yesterday, and another $20 for today.

Then I told them I'm really angry and I want more to appease me, so I now also have $10 off my internet bill for the next 6 months, $15 off my cable bill for the next 6 months, my HBO is now free for 3 months, and they gave me the Showtime/MovieChannel package free for the for next 3 months.

I'm now rescheduled for next Saturday. No idea what I'm going to have to ask for if those idiots end up not showing up again when that comes around.

What sucks is that I'm at 1 in 4 right now. They did a no-show during my initial cable install and didn't come by until the second attempt. I'm now on my third attempt for CableCards with two no-shows in a row.

The impression I'm getting is that they've found a way to slow CableCard adoption in the area. From the way it sounds, it seems like they only have a tiny number of contractors (sounds like 1) handling everything over here. That way it looks like they're trying to comply with the FCC mandate while they're tying everyone up.

Evil bastards... I hate them... Can't wait until the FIOS rollout reaches over here...

PS. One of the CSRs told me that at the end of the work day today, there were 6 unfulfilled rollouts for the day. Shows how much they suck.
Are you in LA? What city? Call up the franchising authority and complain.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #270
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
Are you in LA? What city? Call up the franchising authority and complain.
I'm in Redondo Beach, CA... very close to LA.

Franchising authority? Never heard of those guys... can you tell me more?