TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #391
ThePlungerMan

I’ve had many problems and started a new thread to see if there is a correlation between different providers. Follow the link, you’ll see what I mean.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post4408993
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #392
atl Tivo

I have my S3 Tivo but am waiting unitl oct 10th for my cable card install. I currently have the ESPN College Gameplan. For those of you who do not know what this is, it allows me to watch multiple NCAA college football games on Saturdays. Since this is payperview programming, which was ordered via the phone, will I be able to view these games with my cable cards in my S3?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #393
grapeape
Primate

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl Tivo
I have my S3 Tivo but am waiting unitl oct 10th for my cable card install. I currently have the ESPN College Gameplan. For those of you who do not know what this is, it allows me to watch multiple NCAA college football games on Saturdays. Since this is payperview programming, which was ordered via the phone, will I be able to view these games with my cable cards in my S3?
Yes. Gameplans work like a premium channel, not OnDemand.

What you loose is the ability to order ala cart?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #394
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Yes there is. The phone or the web would do. DirecTV can do that, there's no reason Comcast can't.
Yes, of course, I meant the current CableCARD technology itself could not do it.

Phones have worked for 100 years, so yes, there's no reason they couldn't work for PPV ordering.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #395
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Arrow Latest "Dance" with Comcast

Just off the phone with Comcast. They would NOT "initialize" my cards, one with the missing_program error on it, remotely. They CLAIMED that a technican on-site was the only one authorized to do that as it might fry the card and they needed to be on-site to see what other conditions/issues might be causing my problem.

So, a week without full service (I'll get a credit, you bet) and then another "dance" with a technician.

Some interesting things:

- All my channels generally show QAM in the Diag menu, but sometimes they revert to analog. I'm thinking a possibility of a BAD card. --- They hinted/guessed that since the wire is analog, the card does the digital conversion and that might be an indication the card is whacked. We'll see...

- I get most all channels except EXTENDED BASIC, and a few of those at the ends of the listing come in but with LOTS of noise. Maybe a filter of some kind on the line from when I first put Internet service in? Hmmmm. Got to remember to mention that to the genius they send out next Sat.

So, I'm kind of working. <sigh>

Tim
Old 09-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #396
pyrosas

Got both cards installed today. No issue at all other then it takes more time that I thought it would. I asked the installer, it was his second S3 install.
pyrosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #397
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
Just off the phone with Comcast. They would NOT "initialize" my cards, one with the missing_program error on it, remotely. They CLAIMED that a technican on-site was the only one authorized to do that as it might fry the card and they needed to be on-site to see what other conditions/issues might be causing my problem.

So, a week without full service (I'll get a credit, you bet) and then another "dance" with a technician.

Some interesting things:

- All my channels generally show QAM in the Diag menu, but sometimes they revert to analog. I'm thinking a possibility of a BAD card. --- They hinted/guessed that since the wire is analog, the card does the digital conversion and that might be an indication the card is whacked. We'll see...

- I get most all channels except EXTENDED BASIC, and a few of those at the ends of the listing come in but with LOTS of noise. Maybe a filter of some kind on the line from when I first put Internet service in? Hmmmm. Got to remember to mention that to the genius they send out next Sat.

So, I'm kind of working. <sigh>

Tim
Same boat here. I should have taken more time with him here to ensure it was 100%. This delay is on me.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #398
DiscoBayJoe

I got my Comcast CableCards installed today. Installer said it was his 2nd one.

Originally i was told it would be a multistream card, but TivoPony said I needed two anyways. I don't see anything indicating they are anything other than single stream cards anyhow so I'm glad I called back and asked for two.

Interestingly enuff, one card is Comcast Branded and one is Motorola Branded. They are actually both Motorolas.

The Comcast Card has Firmware 4.05. The Motorola has 4.21

It was a 15 minute install proccess. Insert cards (1 minute), Wait for cards to initialize (5 Minutes), Talk about my Dog (4 Minutes) and Test channels on both Cards (5 Minutes).

For the first 30 minutes or so I noticed the GRAY background screen hang a little longer than I would like between channel changes. It appears to be changing faster now tho.

The image is Great!
DiscoBayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #399
futcher

We've got Comcast here, that's really Adelphia - or was a couple months ago. Anyway, the local office had no trouble with the concept of CableCards. They said it was a $20 install charge, $1.75 for the first card and $4.20 for the second. I asked for two first cards.

We'll see how the install goes, but they set it up to have me trade in the POS Motorola box with the tech when he comes, so I'm optimistic.
futcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #400
Gregor

Quote:
Yes there is. The phone or the web would do. DirecTV can do that, there's no reason Comcast can't.
More won't than can't.

The big reason they won't is money. They do not have the infrastructure to handle calls and push requests in volume out to the headends.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #401
Gerhard

Finally got the Series 3 to work with Comcast

Ok,

I've been having this issue with one of the CableCARDS giving me the message:

"MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY"

I tried about 6 times to have the central office reauthorize the 2nd CableCARD in the Tivo 3.

A technician came to the house today, and, very respectfully, listened to want I told him. He then tried having the card reauthorized, but nothing happened. I did, however, get one of the errors with I assume was the "good" error.

Still, the second card showed "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY."

The tech decided that we should try switching the CableCARDs around. I informed him that it had to be done ONE AT A TIME. We put the unworking CC #2 into CC slot 1 and he had the central office authorize the card.

Suddenly that card that had not been working for 6 days indicated AUTH: SUBSCRIBED!

At this point he asked me to put the CableCARD that was originally card #1 into slot #2. So I did...

...and after about a minute the original CC#1 that was NOW IN SLOT #2 turned out to have the message AUTH: SUBSCRIBED as well.

The tech was adament that either card would work in either slot. That he frequently troubleshoots TV problems by moving a CableCARD from one TV to another in the same house, and then having the CC reauthorized or "hit."

It appears that he was correct... because everything is now working!

Cooooool.

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #402
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
More won't than can't.

The big reason they won't is money. They do not have the infrastructure to handle calls and push requests in volume out to the headends.
They could even allow you to order it on your free cable box, and then view it on your TiVo. That takes zero extra infrastructure. They just have to send out the right authorisation to let the TiVo see it. I did wonder if I was browsing on demand on channel 1 on the cable box, i'd be able to see the demanded programs on channel 1 on the TiVo. I couldn't.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #403
Gregor

Quote:
They could even allow you to order it on your free cable box, and then view it on your TiVo. That takes zero extra infrastructure. They just have to send out the right authorisation to let the TiVo see it. I did wonder if I was browsing on demand on channel 1 on the cable box, i'd be able to see the demanded programs on channel 1 on the TiVo. I couldn't.

Correct. I've ordered some PPV on one box and been able to see it on all boxes in the house.

I'll have to order something on one of the boxes I'm keeping then try tuning the Tivo to that channel. They may set the recording flag to "never" though.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #404
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Smooth install here in Anne Arundel County, MD. Installer was one time, said it was his second Tivo and had several other jobs for 2 cards today, so it looked like he was going to be doing a lot of these.

Dropped both cards in, got the numbers, he called them in and within 2 minutes got the 161-4 on both cards. He hung around when while I redid guided setup, everything worked perfectly. We talked Tivo just about the whole time, the installer didn't know about all the extra features that the Tivo offered, said he'd have to look into getting one himself.

I can't believe it, but Comcast!!!

Looking at the paperwork he left, it cost me 8 bucks - we'll see how the monthly works itself out.

Edit: FWIW, both were the pastel label Moto-branded cards

Last edited by GoHokies! : 09-23-2006 at 07:32 PM.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #405
uksausage

I am in Northern Virginia and I think I have seen posted earlier there is a MAJOR porblem with Comcast here.

No one is specifying the make of their cablecards whish are working - please can you let us know if any are Scientifc Atlanta cards.

After a contractor technician came out with a SA DVR expecting to pick up 2 cable cards he then called in to get an installed around promto (this was Friday lunch time and one was scheduled for 4pm) with 2 cards.

I got a call from installer prior to going to call before mine - great service I thought and infact the call before was for identical Tivo series3 2 cable card installs.
Then got a call 40 minutes later - the cards they have are incomatible with Tivo they WILL NOT WORK.
There is new software from SA that is meant to fix the porblems but they havent goty the software in NaVA

Is this an issue that can be escalated does anyone know?

Given I live 4 miles from the FCC building it woudl be ironic if NaVA were breaking some rules somehow.

I have no idea when I will get the cards now and am "suffering" from the lack of digital channels and HD but enjoying the better output and dual tuner anyway.
uksausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #406
tube013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
OK, guy came and went and now I realize I'm getting partial success with both cards. Weird, but even on the disabled card, on the test channels screen, I DO get some channels in. I get channel 11 (WMDOCA, it's in Spanish), channel 196 PPV previews, Some of the digital channels (PBS), 208 WBALDT2 (local DT)

On the conditional status screen,

CC2 says:

Connected:yes, EnabledByCP: yes
Auth: SUBSCRIBED

CC1 says:

State: CA Disabled

He's supposed to be coming back again by 6pm. Any suggestions? Should I re-seat both cards?

The Network Setup screen has a "Hunt" option that seems to start when you hit select. What's that do?

Right after first enabling the cards, I had him reconnect some of the cable ends, which necessitated severing the connection from the wall for a while. Could that screw it up?

ThreeSoFar,

I think I have the exact same problem up here in Wilmington, DE. Let us know how you make out with the tech.

My cards give the same messages you note above, also both are moto. 04.05 firmware version. Sometimes when I flip to channels I should get, I get the cablecard pairing screen pop up. No matter what I'm still missing about 2/3rds of my total content, and I missed having ESPN in HD on a college football saturday!!!!! I think I know the real meaning of "Comcastic" and it isn't good.
tube013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #407
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksausage
I am in Northern Virginia and I think I have seen posted earlier there is a MAJOR porblem with Comcast here.

No one is specifying the make of their cablecards whish are working - please can you let us know if any are Scientifc Atlanta cards.

After a contractor technician came out with a SA DVR expecting to pick up 2 cable cards he then called in to get an installed around promto (this was Friday lunch time and one was scheduled for 4pm) with 2 cards.

I got a call from installer prior to going to call before mine - great service I thought and infact the call before was for identical Tivo series3 2 cable card installs.
Then got a call 40 minutes later - the cards they have are incomatible with Tivo they WILL NOT WORK.
There is new software from SA that is meant to fix the porblems but they havent goty the software in NaVA

Is this an issue that can be escalated does anyone know?

Given I live 4 miles from the FCC building it woudl be ironic if NaVA were breaking some rules somehow.

I have no idea when I will get the cards now and am "suffering" from the lack of digital channels and HD but enjoying the better output and dual tuner anyway.
Did you call Tivo and verify that the SA CableLABS certifed CableCARDs are not compatible with Tivo Series 3 units?

...because if those cards ARE real CableCARDs, then there is no reason that they should not work... and it would also mean that SA could loose their certifcation.

So.... I'd consider calling SA and finding out if they really do have compatibility issues or if someone is giving you the run around.

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #408
IraF

2 cable cards plus HD in San Francisco

I admit I only read part of this thread ... but I didn't see anyone mentioning the prices I was just quoted by a Comcast CSR regarding service in San Francisco.

Currently, in addition to my Series One TiVo, I have the Comcast Motorola dual DVR, which, for $9.95, includes dual HD service. There is another $9.95 charge for digital classic which includes the cost of one "converter/remote."

I was told the first cable card would replace the converter/remote in the digital cable package, thus you could say it is free - but it's actually not - the digital classic package includes the price of a converter and a remote, and you wouldn't have either anymore - so if the price stays the same, you are paying the same price for the cable card as you were for your now non-existent converter/remote. If the digital classic package cost less with cable card, THEN cable card could be said to be free.

Ignoring that, he says if I wanted HD on the cable card, I'd have to add $5.

And, a second cable card would cost $6.95 more.

And HD on the second cable card would cost another $5 more!

So my Comcast monthly costs for dual HD would go from $9.95 with dual DVR, to $16.95 with 2 cable cards!

That is completely absurd! Isn't it?

He swore this was true - but maybe he was thinking "two outlets", not "one TiVo."

Of course this is ignoring the costs of the TiVo hardware or subscription (I would convert my lifetime Series One subscription to a Series 3 lifetime, as I think that is possible for $200).

Are these Comcast fees possible? Was this CSR just totally wrong? I didn't spot anyone else mentioning these fees in this thread - on the contrary, far more people were saying cable card was free, and no one was saying adding HD to a cable card would cost $5 or $10 extra.

I'm thinking maybe these fees are possible - they know if they give you cable card, they will get no On Demand revenue from you.
IraF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #409
Gerhard

Comcast in Montgomery County, MD is not charging me for EITHER of the two CableCards.

However, there are other fees that they are no making clear prior to turning on the cable:

There is 6.00 HD fee, the Digital 5 package for $120.00, and then some other fee.

However, these fees were there before I switches to CableCards. As such, I'm still paying about $20.00 less to Comcast than I was... including the $6.95 fee to Tivo for the additional box.

Gerhard

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #410
wdave

I'll try to keep this short, because my experience definitely wasn't:

Called on 12th, earliest appt was for today 1pm-5pm.
Told them, "Make sure it's an in-house tech, and to bring a few CCs"
They say, "No problem"
I'm around all afternoon.
At 5pm I call asking "Where are you?"
They say, "Running late today, will be there by 7pm"
At 7pm they call, "We just looked at your order. We're just contractors. Don't have CCs"
I call Comcast directly.
They say "Sorry, sir, our mistake, I'll escalate this to my supervisor right away."
I say "I still want someone to come out this evening."
They say "Yes, that may be possible, we'll work on it through dispatch".
I call back at 8pm, "Where are you?"
They say, "He (supervisor) is still trying to make it happen. He promises to call you back"
Evening has ended ... no call back.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #411
IraF

another quote - better this time!

After reading more, called Comcast again regarding San Francisco. Last time, was told 6.95 for 2nd card, plus $10 to get HD on each. Now, I was told this:

- both cable cards are free
- HD is no extra charge
- just go to the Comcast store and get 2 cable cards, no truck roll involved.

So from $16.95/month in fees for dual HD cable card, I'm down to $0, saving $9.95 vs. dual DVR service. My TiVo service will cost something like 5.55 per month over 3 years ($200 lifetime conversion cost, spread over 3 years). This is Not Bad At All!

I only hope when I actually go get the cable cards, that the prices haven't shot up again .
IraF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:11 AM   #412
canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Just tell him that he ComCast site says they are free. Period. ...then refer him to their own website:
Has anyone noticed in the past week Comcast have changed this on their website from ---There is no additional charge for cablecards--- to--- There is no additional charge for CableCARD service
big difference
canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:22 AM   #413
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
The tech was adament that either card would work in either slot. That he frequently troubleshoots TV problems by moving a CableCARD from one TV to another in the same house, and then having the CC reauthorized or "hit."

It appears that he was correct... because everything is now working!
He was correct, but not for the reason he thought. Either card will work in either slot, BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE PROPERLY INIT'ed AFTER THE SWAP.

Each card has a host id that is paired with an entry in the head end system. Once paired, if you swap cards, neither will work.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:03 AM   #414
RentMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergeek2
While waiting the cable card expert asked how much the series 3 cost and I told him how much I payed. (He had already told the other tech it was $1200) When I told him that he, to save face, told the other tech that the $1200 one must be the series 4 Tivo. So funny how he couldn't allow the other tech to know that he was wrong. So he asked the capacity and upped them for the one he "saw". Ugh.
Just to be fair to the poor guy, Weaknees charges $1299 for a 600 HR SD / 60 Hour HD Series 3 (500GB) and $1599.00 for a 925 HR SD / 100 HR HD (750GB) Series3.

Maybe he wasn't wrong.
RentMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:24 AM   #415
crazyxgerman

After the successful cable card install today I called Comcast customer service to find out about pricing.

First lady told me $60 for the package, $5 for HD, and $6.95 per month per cable card. I told her that's not going to happen. She transferred me to somebody else.

Talked to a very nice gentleman and explained the 1 TV 1 outlet 1 TiVo w/dual tuner 0 digital converter boxes concept to him. He agreed that the pricing should be different and assured me my charge will be

$60 for package, first cable card included, $6.95 for second cable card, basic HD channels (702-709, 719-725) included, no extra charge.

My total bill goes up by $6.95 which is reasonable. However, I just saw this FAQ - https://www.comcast.com/Customers/FA...s.ashx?Id=2651 - and will call them on that tomorrow and see what they have to say.
crazyxgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #416
dwiller

Frustrated in Natick (Boston area)

This has got to have been one of the more frustrating experiences in recent memory. I've been so excited for the Series 3, since it was announced....when was that January 2005? And all along dreading, just dreading any involvement from the cable company....

So the Series 3 comes out...I run out to Best Buy and get one last Friday. Seemed to be the only one in the area. Call Comcast to try to schedule....my work schedule isn't the most convenient to schedule this kind of stuff, so I have to wait until today (Saturday) which was about 8 days after I bought the new Series 3.

Installer shows up right on time...perhaps a minute early for my 11am-1pm appt. He recognizes the Series 3. Immediatelyi starts writing down the S/N off the cable cards. He puts one in.....the gray screen pops up. He writes the information down. He even waits for me to finish typing the stuff into my computer (the host id and data id). He shows me all the cable cards in his little metal tray. I ask if he's been installing a lot of them, he says yes, and I ask 'in TiVos?' He says yes. I was surprised since they had just come out less than 2 weeks ago. He said many ordered online....I figured it was promising that he'd done TiVos before.

Anyway, He sticks the 2nd card in, same thing. I'm thinking 'this is going pretty well so far....it's only been 10 minutes and both cards are in!' He calls his dispatch (I think he was a contractor) and gives the 2 numbers for the CableCards and tells him I'm returning a DVR.

This is when the problems start....he gets transferred to the Comcast number. He's on hold for at least 20 minutes. Then I can hear through his phone, that it starts ringing....great! Well, it rings, and rings, and rings and rings.....no answer. He was transferred into some abyss. While he was on hold, he tuned in 804, 805, 807 my local channels in HD. I saw HD golf on NBC. I was pleased that everything was working so well. So when nobody picked up, he eventually hung up and said that he'd call the stuff in, and then call me back if there were any problems. Said that it'd take about 30 minutes or so to get all the information downloaded.

So I start playing around when he leaves and see that I'm not getting any HD channels other than the local ones. I'm not getting any of the HBOs. No ESPNHD, no INHD. I eventually call Comcast and ask that they hit the cards, since my installer never got through. He does. I see no error messages, nothing. I had to leave for work.

When I get home, I check my channels, still not working so I power TiVo off. Take the cards out. Restart TiVo, insert 1 card back in. Call Comcast. Ask her to reinitialize the card I gave her the S/N for. Nothing. Both of my cards are Motorola, one is v. 4.21, the other is 4.05. Still not working, so she suggests setting up a service call, since she was out of ideas. I agree, figuring I might as well set up the call, and then can cancel if things start to work. Of course I work 11-7, so pretty much no appointments during the week work for me. I have to take next Friday 9-11am, which is a full 2 weeks since I bought the TiVo.

I then plug TiVo directly into the wall, bypassing all splitters. Nothing changes on the status of the cards. Not sure if this would require them to rehit me or not.

I noticed that each card has a different Conditional Access screen. The card in slot 1 (v. 4.21) says:
EncryptionES
Connected:yes, EnabledByCP: no
Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_KEKEY
CA enable: not possible
Host Validation: Unknown

The card in slot 2 (v. 4.05) says:
State: Subscribed (just as I was typing this)...I got excited, went to test channels, didn't work, and now the message is back to saying
State: CA Disabled
Host Validation: Unknown
This screen does not mention Encryption , Auth, etc. Not sure why the 2 screens look different.

I plug TiVo back into the splitter, and try the online help. That person hits the cards for me. Then tells me I am not subscribed for HD service, and that it was cancelled. i'm happy for a second, because I figure if he turns that back on, I'll be all set. Turns out he tells me I need to call the local office.

So I call Comcast again, and I ask the woman to check my account. She says nothing was removed, and that I should be receiving HD. She says she has sent signals to my cards and sees I have an appt. for Friday. She says a technician will need to come out.

This is so frustrating. I just want to watch TV. I've been looking forward to this for so long. I don't want Comcast here touching my stuff. I wish I could just exchange the CCs myself. Not sure if they are bad, or if it is the TiVo or if someone is screwing up at Comcast. It's 4:33am. I'm exhausted. Can't make any more calls today. At least Comcast has 24 hour support, not that it's done me much good. If I can't get this stuff to work, I'm going to need to return TiVo and go back to that God awful Comcast DVR. Noooooooo!!!!

Dave
dwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #417
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Does anyone know what the benefit is to the firmware upgrade (4.2.1)?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #418
BarryPCC

I'm a S2 Tivo subscriber and want to get S3 by New Year's Eve so I can transfer my lifetime service. I currently subscribe to MLB Extra Innings package (Channels 771-780). When I inquired about CableCards to a Comcast CSR, she said, "Well, if you gave up your set top box and got Cable Cards, you would not be able to order the baseball package."

I know that all of Comcast's CSR's here in Richmond are temporary employees who rarely know what they are providing service for so, I'm asking here on this thread, [b]is what she said true? I really want to get the S3 and have dual tuning capability, but I don't want to lose my baseball package next season.

Thanks so much for any assistance.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #419
hybucket

Does anyone know if Comcast has any...er, "incentive" deals for dropping satellite and going with them? I'm thinking of dumping D* for the TiVO Series 3, but I'm on a 2-year committment with D*, and am curious if Comcast would make it worth my while. I'm sure it depends on which CSR you speak to, but if there's a precedent for this sort of thing....
With D*, if you threaten to leave them, they'll give you just about anything with their "customer retention" department.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #420
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket
Does anyone know if Comcast has any...er, "incentive" deals for dropping satellite and going with them? I'm thinking of dumping D* for the TiVO Series 3, but I'm on a 2-year committment with D*, and am curious if Comcast would make it worth my while. I'm sure it depends on which CSR you speak to, but if there's a precedent for this sort of thing....
With D*, if you threaten to leave them, they'll give you just about anything with their "customer retention" department.

In my area it was $400 over 16 months to go from satellite to Comcast. $25 credit per month for 16 months. It's called the Ditch-the-Dish promotion. Don't know if it's still in place, or available in your area. Supposedly they were going to want to take back one of my receivers, but the tech didn't ask. Oh yea, in my area the picture quality was significantly better with Comcast than D*. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HomieG : 09-24-2006 at 03:33 PM.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote