Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #361
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Yes. They broadcast basic as analog for compatibility. Simulcasting is the first step in going all digital.

You can check if a channel is digital by:

Hit record, if it offers quality settings, its analog.
Check cable signal strength. If it shows up, its digital
Check: Messages & Settings -> Account and System information -> Diagnostics. Look for "modulation" on your tuner, if its QAM its digital, if its unknown, its analog.

I would be really surprised if you didn't get analog basic.
Hi Btwyx,

Interestingly, I looked at my S3 diag menu this a.m. for limited basic and ext basic channels and they are both now digital with the QAM notation. Might they have switched me to ADS overnight? Hmmm?

I still can't see the ext basic channels though. I think I'll have to have Comcast hit the cards with a reset and then maybe do another guided setup. Sound right?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #362
maharg18

Is anyone STILL having trouble getting their cards activated? I'm on day 4 now, and after 2 calls and 1 tech visit, still a no-go.. MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY is all I get. Needless to say I'm about ready to start slashing throats at Comcast. All the lady on the phone today said was that she could set up another tech visit with someone who "knows about cable cards". Give me a freaking break.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #363
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Note Missing_program_rekey

Maharg18,

Yea, I have that on one of my cards and am about to call Comcast and "dance" with them. Any hints? What NOT to say?

Funny thing is, I get lots of channels on that card too, but am still missing limited basic ones and a few HD.

T
Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #364
maharg18

I don't have any hints that I can think of, I'm just trying to be persistant right now, which is hard when I have to sit on the phone for 1 hour before even getting to talk to someone, who ends up being clueless.

Unfortunately I'm not getting ANY channels with these cards, with the exception of analog and in-the-clear digital channels.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #365
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18
Is anyone STILL having trouble getting their cards activated? I'm on day 4 now, and after 2 calls and 1 tech visit, still a no-go.. MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY is all I get. Needless to say I'm about ready to start slashing throats at Comcast. All the lady on the phone today said was that she could set up another tech visit with someone who "knows about cable cards". Give me a freaking break.
Comcast has reinitialized your cards? (i.e., take both cards out, insert card 1, reinitialize, etc.)

Make sure that you didn't accidentally swap the cards. With exception to one person on here, most people seem to report that there are 2 different host ID's for the cards (as to be expected since there are 2 different "hosts" for the card -- each tuner is its own host). I played devil's advocate and switched my cards (toying with death I know). Completely wiped out my digital cable! Luckily when I switched the cards back, everything is working ok.

Comcast requires the serial number of the card and the host ID to match before the cards will work. Only a particular host ID is allowed to view content on a particular CableCard.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #366
ctriplett

I'm in Reston, VA and the 2 Cablecards were installed on 9/14/06 and have been working fine. Even after I replaced the S3 (TiVo called me to say it was defective and sent another one), placed the Cablecards in the new TiVo, it still works.

Now I have no idea what the bill will be as the technician wasn't sure. He thought the first was free and the second one was maybe $9.95.
ctriplett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #367
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

OK, guy came and went and now I realize I'm getting partial success with both cards. Weird, but even on the disabled card, on the test channels screen, I DO get some channels in. I get channel 11 (WMDOCA, it's in Spanish), channel 196 PPV previews, Some of the digital channels (PBS), 208 WBALDT2 (local DT)

On the conditional status screen,

CC2 says:

Connected:yes, EnabledByCP: yes
Auth: SUBSCRIBED

CC1 says:

State: CA Disabled

He's supposed to be coming back again by 6pm. Any suggestions? Should I re-seat both cards?

The Network Setup screen has a "Hunt" option that seems to start when you hit select. What's that do?

Right after first enabling the cards, I had him reconnect some of the cable ends, which necessitated severing the connection from the wall for a while. Could that screw it up?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #368
grapeape
Primate

Montgomery County MD - Series 3 Cable Card

Tech showed up late, but dropped cards in and worked instantly. No fee for service call, no fee for either card. Now saving $14/month on Comcast
(and ignoring the fortune for the Series 3 and VIP lifetime transfer).

Tivo works as expected with the exception of some missing features such as deleted items, Tivo Solutions, MRV, some HMO apps and VOD. The VOD is a
killer, but so I'll probably move my digital box from another room in order
to get Howard Stern OnDemand, PPVs and free OnDemand TV/Movies.
Digital box without DVR is $3.99/month.

Grape

For those of you who are not aware, Tivo is offering a limited edition purple (lavender) soft touch remote. Now if I can just get a purple Series 3 case,
I'm all set.

Watching TV is expensive!

Last edited by grapeape : 09-23-2006 at 01:18 PM.
grapeape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #369
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape
Digital box without DVR is $3.99/month.
You should be able to get the digital box free if it is on your primary TV. See the 2nd to last answer in this FAQ at Comcast here.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #370
Gregor

Quote:
I don't have any hints that I can think of, I'm just trying to be persistant right now, which is hard when I have to sit on the phone for 1 hour before even getting to talk to someone, who ends up being clueless.

Unfortunately I'm not getting ANY channels with these cards, with the exception of analog and in-the-clear digital channels.
Have you tried going to your local office to talk to a tech manager there? I have had good results doing this.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #371
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Baltimore (City) Comcast S3 install

Specifics on Baltimore Comcast S3 Install:

Technician came near end of his window.

No fee for install.

No additional monthly fees for any of my (now 3) CableCARDs. (I have to confirm this...)

ADVICE: I should have had him stay longer and used the CHANNEL TEST option under each card to make sure I received all I thought I should.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #372
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Have you tried going to your local office to talk to a tech manager there? I have had good results doing this.
That is my plan on Monday.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #373
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic
Comcast has reinitialized your cards? (i.e., take both cards out, insert card 1, reinitialize, etc.)

Make sure that you didn't accidentally swap the cards. With exception to one person on here, most people seem to report that there are 2 different host ID's for the cards (as to be expected since there are 2 different "hosts" for the card -- each tuner is its own host). I played devil's advocate and switched my cards (toying with death I know). Completely wiped out my digital cable! Luckily when I switched the cards back, everything is working ok.

Comcast requires the serial number of the card and the host ID to match before the cards will work. Only a particular host ID is allowed to view content on a particular CableCard.
This is what is confusing me, not once have they asked me for the host ID's. They just tell me that they're re-hitting the cards and then they give up. The techs that came out yesterday didn't even phone anything in.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #374
nexus99

Comcast finally rolled to my house. They sent two techs because this site had never seen a S3 before. They popped in card 1... got the screen showing that a card had been inserted. They called home and hit the card. Bam. the 131-4 error(I think that was what it was) Hit select to go back. Inserted card two. It took about 30 seconds and anonther 131-4 screen popped. Checked test channels for both HBO and HD content. Everything looked ok. Ran through the guided set up again and then tested dual channel recording with a playback. Everything looked good.

The Cabel guys choked when they asked how much it cost but one did smile and say that any amount of money is worth it to get rid of the motorola STB :-)

They also mentioned if I had waited a while I chould have gotten a TIVO brand box from Comcast without having to buy it. I guess they are working on a deal to have their own S3 box to replace the Motorola ones.

Oh, both of my cards were firmware revision 4.05. I'd have rather have had the newer firmware but these seem to work just fine. The installers said they had never even considered that the firmware could have been a potential issue.

I am just happy its all in and running. Now I can finally set up all my season passes for HD! Yay!
nexus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #375
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Potential issues with my problems?

1) I was in the middle of guided setup when we put in the cards and sync'd them up.

2) My cards have two different firmware versions: 04.05 and 04.21
Old 09-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #376
beergeek2

Tech visit number 2: Comedy in the morning

A tech visited me and after 15 minutes looking at the box ("I've never seen that before") and I explained it was new, etc. He finally (after 15 minutes) told me that they were out of cable cards and they were back ordered. But he called the person he thinks is the local expert on cable cards. And he had a couple and was going to come over and show him how to install them.

The cable card tech put in a "special" card that cost him $500. I asked him if it was a diagnostic card and he said no. It let him get every channel without needing the card to be authorized. He used that to check that the TiVo actually worked.

Then he insisted that he needed to remove the cable cards and do a channel scan -- possibly a hold over from a requirement for TVs or something.

I waited for that. Then he put in the new cards and told the other tech to call in the initialize. At least he got that part right (according to what I've read here). He told him to have them initialized not "hit".

While waiting the cable card expert asked how much the series 3 cost and I told him how much I payed. (He had already told the other tech it was $1200) When I told him that he, to save face, told the other tech that the $1200 one must be the series 4 Tivo. So funny how he couldn't allow the other tech to know that he was wrong. So he asked the capacity and upped them for the one he "saw". Ugh.

So the cards started working -- partially -- I got channels 1-33 and a few of the HD ones (locals only).

I was also getting the Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY in the Conditional Access menu for both cards.

I when to the online chat for Comcast (BTW, I think this is better than the phone support -- the people are much more willing to help) and started talking to someone there asking that they send an Initialize as suggested in the thread Comcast CC Activation Troubles: What I've learned...

I don't think they did that -- but something else.

I then pointed them to the above thread and it clicked with them. They sent the right command. I then got the "good" error (first time I had seen that with these new cards). And things started working just fine.

Whew!

I am so happy to have this box and have it work. I've been waiting since before I even new it existed. But I'm worried. There is NO WAY that non technical people are going to be able to get this installed. Tivo need to step up and let people that activate a S3 know that if they have any trouble with their install to have Tivo conference in the cable company. I would e-mail every person that activates a S3 with this info right now.

Thanks to the forum for the help!
beergeek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #377
mdreuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic
It's more complicated than that. Each CableCard is usually keyed to a specific market. So a CableCard from the Chicago market won't work in the Atlanta market.

Figures that nothing is easy. The Time Warner web site is a master stroke of not providing any way to contact them other than the standard 800 number.

Does anyone know of a phone number of higher department at Time Warner?

Thanks!
mdreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #378
bap
pab

Just had my CableCards installed here in Winchester, MA (10 miles north of Boston). I originally stopped by the Comcast office in Somerville to see if I could pick them up but they said I needed a tech to come out so they set up the appointment for me. I made sure they specified two CC's on the work order. The tech showed up right in the middle of the apointment window, and when I mentioned the cards were going in a TiVo he got a little excited since it was his first experience with it. He already knew of the S3 from talking with other techs and reading up on it on the web. He mentioned that he knew the cards needed recent firmware - two or three other techs who had S3 installs ran into all sorts of problems due to older firmware on the CC's. The install went very smoothly - the only frustrating part was the length of time he got stuck on hold calling Comcast to activate the cards. Both cards were recognized by the TiVo fairly quickly and I was able to pull up HBO within a minute or so of the cards being initialized by Comcast. I did see that 161-4 error that others reported but just ignored it as suggested.

It wasn't until after the tech left and I started this writeup that I checked the firmware levels of the CC's. They're from Motorola, and apparently have different firmware reversions. (Hopefully that won't be a problem). They're 04.21 and 04.05.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #379
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Someone mentioned online/chat help being easier. I can't find that. Just some stupid automated interview/search engine thing--no person there.

ETA: Found it. Just keep putting "CableCARD" into the automated interview thing and it gives you a link to the live chat.

The live chat though defaults to Internet problems--have to click on cable.

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 09-23-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #380
grapeape
Primate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
You should be able to get the digital box free if it is on your primary TV. See the 2nd to last answer in this FAQ at Comcast here.
Not sure what primary means in the world of a multimedia house, but since I now only have one comcast owned receiver, I guess that would make it my primary. Thanks. I'll save another $3.99. Pretty soon these guys will be paying me to get Comcast. Not sure how they stay in business. :-)
Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #381
btwyx
Substantive Member

I got the follow up call from Comcast this morning. If I hadn't already woken up I could be annoyed by a call on Saturday before 10am.

There install questions were heavily skewed towards whether the insataller showed me how to use their unique features (remote, on demand, etc), as I don't get their unique features with cable cards I just told them it was not applicable.

I gave my feedback:

. I wasn't amused by their installer not turning up on time

. I was annoyed by them always pushing their agenda, not what the customer (ie me)wanted.

. There signal quality is pretty bad, overcompressed.

. They don't allow some of their potentially best customers (ie S3 owners) to order PPV.

. Their tech support is clueless and doesn't know how their system works (re: getting analog channels switched to digital.)

I don't know if it'll do any good.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #382
JakiChan

Quote:
They don't allow some of their potentially best customers (ie S3 owners) to order PPV.
What do you mean by that part? Not being able to do PPV is a known issue with using the TiVo as your only cable box, right?
JakiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #383
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan
What do you mean by that part? Not being able to do PPV is a known issue with using the TiVo as your only cable box, right?
And that's exactly what I'm saying. An S3 owner has demonstrated a high disposible income, and they don't let them order their most profitable product (PPV). There's no technical reason for this, they're just control freeks who want you to use their equipment.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #384
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I don't think you can even order PPV with a phone call on their web site, can you? Satellite providers allow that but maybe the CableCard technology does not?
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #385
keenanSR

Current CableCARD is not a two-way technology, there's no way to send the "order" signal back to Comcast.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #386
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

wow.. that was completely painless.. (tho a tad annoying)
Summary:
Even though Comcast gave me some guff on the phone about 2 cards and griping that it will not need 2 installations, they conceeded that a single device install was more appropriate.

Then I got the "but it takes 4 days to roll a truck with cableCARDS" my install was in 3 days, I took the risk and said "the tech will call if he doesn't have cards? right?" which was answered as "yes"

The tech shows with 2 cards, his workorder is off it says 2 CARDS in 2 TV's but he doesn't see any issues with my Series3 install, however he does mention that this is the first Tivo he's installed CARDs in, I assure him it will go well and assist as needed in the Tivo menus.

He checks in with his supervisor just to be sure the Tivo install is acceptable, supervisor says "piece of cake, don't worry" apparently I'm the 2nd they've done in the area this week.

We have a slight concern as the CARDs take a few minutes to show up in the CableCARD menu, but then they pop up.

He goes through round one of the install with dispatch and everything went well, but then he's asked to wait for the 2nd group he has to call to activate a CARD and it turns out the techs have to wait in the same phone queue as the consumers, and it's a 30 minute wait, so we chat as he's waiting.

Then we get to an agent, they init the cards, get an error message that dispatch says is fine, I think it was a 161-4 or similar.

Both cards are ok, and sure enough, I get all the right channels.

Even though he had some hesitation, the tech did great and I said "you can brag about this on Monday"

simple, painless, and I could have done it myself if they were willing to let me pick up the cards, but that's not in place in MA yet.

And I'm in love with the Series3 already, it does so many things the motorola DVR can't even dream of, like the dual tuner swap with independant buffers.. that ROCKS!

Diane
(one of the 200"
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #387
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
This is what is confusing me, not once have they asked me for the host ID's. They just tell me that they're re-hitting the cards and then they give up. The techs that came out yesterday didn't even phone anything in.
That's what happened to me too. The guy who came out yesterday said he's done it before, and didn't need the host ID. he just called in the cable card ID's. He went staright to the Test Channel screen, then stayed on that screen while they were hitting the card from the other end. When that happened, a screen popped saying something like I'm asccessing a feature which would disable..., then I hit clear, Tivo went back to the test channel screen, and the blue screen with the rotating circle popped up, a few seconds later, I started seeing channel names in the title. But nothing besides the local (SD and HD) are coming in, plus a few PBS channels, and ESPN1/2 HD.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #388
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Current CableCARD is not a two-way technology, there's no way to send the "order" signal back to Comcast.
Yes there is. The phone or the web would do. DirecTV can do that, there's no reason Comcast can't.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #389
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape
Not sure what primary means in the world of a multimedia house, but since I now only have one comcast owned receiver, I guess that would make it my primary. Thanks. I'll save another $3.99. Pretty soon these guys will be paying me to get Comcast. Not sure how they stay in business. :-)
When my CableCard install happens next week, I'm planning to have my cable box and S3 hooked up to my "primary" TV and ask the installer to note this on the work order. Hopefully I can get a copy of the work order and take it down to the Comcast office and fight for free cable box.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #390
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
. They don't allow some of their potentially best customers (ie S3 owners) to order PPV.
Comcast's "best" customers pay them $70-$100 per month.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote