TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #331
NaVSP

After reading about some problems people had with comcast coming with only one cable card I decided to call and verify that the service appointment I had did note that I needed 2 cards.

A comcast CSR picked up and verified that I was scheduled to have 2 cards, and asked why I needed 2.

I explained that I purchased the new TiVO series 3 and it utilizes 2 cards. She surprised me by saying "Do you have a few minutes? I'd like to learn more"

Being at work I naturally said sure. We spent about 5 minutes on the phone talking about what features the new tivo had, why it was better than the comcast hd dvr, what features I would give up and what I would gain. I mentioned that some of the trouble people have had setting up the s3 and she was very receptive and took notes (even read them back to me!). She said she'd share the info with her coworkers, and mentioned something about a tivo + comcast deal and speculated that they might a series 3.

So not all comcast csrs are all bad!
NaVSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #332
ah30k

I posted earlier that my host_id was the same on both cableCARD slots. I must have been on halucenigens, because now the I verify it they are different. I could have sworn that when the tech was here installing them he and the headend tech said the host_id for the second card was the same as the first.

I stand respectfully corrected.
xxx-xxx-xxx-xx6-3
xxx-xxx-xxx-xx7-1
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #333
JoBeth66
Temp

Ok, the CableCARD in the TV is still not showing all the channels, but I'm getting locals. Nothing over 99.

Looks like I might have a bad card for the one they put in the TV, that's the only one that doesn't seem to be working.

Re-running guided setup now.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #334
JoBeth66
Temp

TiVo is up & running on both tuners without a hitch. it's BEAUTEOUS!

Card for the TV is bad. These poor guys, I feel sorry for them. They came all prepared for the Tivo to be an issue and it went through with no problems whatsoever, but the TV is bad.

They're trying to find me another card for the TV.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #335
chadfr1

Comcast / San Francisco

To all,

Thank you all for posting your experience on this page. I found it very helpful, and when I began the process of obtaining another cable card for my S3 I was prepared.

Called the 800 number and was told the additional cable card was going to be $6.95 per month and another $5 for HD programming, plus $15.95 for installation. I told them I already subscribed to the HD content (and was paying for it) and both cards were going into the same device, the CSR was not budging.

I then went to the Comcast chat page and proceeded to get the following quote of $15.95 for installation and no additional fees for the 2nd card. She intitially quoted me an installation fee and a $6.95 usage fee, but then revised it. Having read the posts on this website, I was ready for them and I saved a copy of the transcript for all of you to review and hopefully use to your advantage. Please note I never said what type of device the 2nd card was going into, and I tried to keep things as general as possible. Good luck to all of you!

Transcript below:

Olivia > Thank you for contacting Comcast. My name is Olivia and I will be happy to assist you with your cable tv question today.
Chad > Hello, I would like to request an installation of a second cable card in my PVR. Can you help me setup an appointment and also let me know what the additional billing, if any, will be?
Olivia > Sure, just a moment, let me access your account Chad.
Olivia > There is a $15.99 installation charge and the cable card itself is free, however there is a $6.95 monthly service access charge applied for the 2nd cable card.
Chad > Can I setup an appointment to have that installed with you?
Olivia > Yes. Let me get the service order set up for you. One moment please.
Olivia > For your protection, I will need to verify one (1) of the following: The last 4 digits of the primary account holder’s SSN, the full 16-digit account number, or the exact amount of the most recent payment made to the account.
Chad > Sure. *************
Olivia > Thank you, one moment please.
Olivia > Thank you for waiting. I am sorry, I quoted you wrong above. There is no $6.95 charge applied for the 2nd cable card. I do apologize. The installation is still the same though.
Chad > Thank you for the clarification.
Olivia > The first date that I have open for the installation is 9/24 between 2-6pm. Will this date and time work?
Chad > As long as you keep deducting fees, we are going to get along just fine!
Chad > That is this Saturday? That will be fine.
Olivia > It is a Sunday.
Chad > That will be fine
Olivia > What is a good contact number for the tech to reach you at just in case?
Chad > My cell phone number is *************
Olivia > OK, you are set for the installation on 9/24 between 2-6pm. Please make sure that someone 18+ and English speaking is present. If possible make sure that there is at least 3-5ft behind the tv to give the tech enough room to move.
Chad > Thank you very much. Is there a confirmation number I can reference just in case?
Olivia > Job #*************
Chad > Thank you very much for your help.
Olivia > You're welcome.
Olivia > Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Chad > That will be all. Have a good weekend.

What have we learned? be persistant, document everything, and don't them get away with it!

Good luck!
chadfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #336
JoBeth66
Temp

Just got a call from the original Comcast supervisor - the one who told me last week that I couldn't have the cards - he wanted to tell me that they've stopped installing them in TiVos in the South Jersey market, because of the 30 installs, none has gone right.

Except MINE went right, and so did at least 2 others in South Jersey that I personally know of. So I'm not sure if I should believe him or not.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #337
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66
Just got a call from the original Comcast supervisor - the one who told me last week that I couldn't have the cards - he wanted to tell me that they've stopped installing them in TiVos in the South Jersey market, because of the 30 installs, none has gone right.

Except MINE went right, and so did at least 2 others in South Jersey that I personally know of. So I'm not sure if I should believe him or not.
Yeah, mine went fine, and the installer spoke of a colleague who had done one the day before. The worst that happened was it needed a 2nd initialisation. He said most TV's need that too, anyway.

Idiots.

Still, glad to hear you got yours done in the end!

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #338
jward256

Had my cablecards installed today. I spent the last couple days studying this forum so I'd be ready. Good thing!

The installer (contractor, not a Comcast employee) arrives with the two cards, Motorola branded. So far so good. Plugs them in, Tivo shows firmware 4.21. Good again.

Nothing more happening. After about 15 minutes I suggest that he call in to activate the cards. Calls his dispatcher to send a hit. Now at least the channel test shows locals, although no premiums. After re-inserting cards and another phone call we aren't making any progress. From reading this forum I know the cards are working fine but haven't been initialized. All he can do is keep calling his dispatcher to send another hit. After an hour of this I suggest that he go on to his next install and that I'm sure I can get this working via Comcast. He can't call Comcast, only his dispatcher.

After he leaves I called Comcast. CSR tells me that someone will call back in a couple hours and see if I need a truck roll. Thanked her and called back. Asked to speak to someone who knew cablecard and was transferred to a tech. I expain that I have a device that uses two cards and I would like to try to init one at a time. No problem. It took a few minutes for her to send the first signal, but I shortly have a 161-4 error, followed by success! I installed the second card, she sent the next init, and success again! I asked if the installer hitting both cards at once was the problem and she said that no, he just wasn't sending the same information that she was.

10 minutes later I get a call back from my first Comcast call. I told him that everything was good and he asked if both TV's were working. I told him that it was a two card device and he asked if I had a Tivo. This was his 5th Tivo call. Sounds like he was collecting info and trying to get everyone on the same page. The good news is that folks at Comcast seem to be working on making this better.

It appears that contractors may not have access to everything needed to make this work correctly. I did get the feeling that Comcast is working on it. Note that everyone I dealt with was doing their best to help. Be polite, and be patient. They are people doing their jobs. I doubt that they get training on every single cablecard device that comes out. Each likely has it's quirks. Talking to the installer it doesn't sound like things go any better with TV's. He has had very few cablecard installs, and some of the installers avoid them.

One question my wife asked is what would happen if the typical consumer tried to get this installed? That $800 price tag may be a good thing for limiting the S3 to people who want to do some research before plunking down that much cash. At least until the install bugs are worked out.
jward256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #339
DocSavag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward256
One question my wife asked is what would happen if the typical consumer tried to get this installed? That $800 price tag may be a good thing for limiting the S3 to people who want to do some research before plunking down that much cash. At least until the install bugs are worked out.
I think that the whole process has to get a lot easier for the average Tivo buyer to be able to get the S3 working properly. Part of that will undoubtedly come with time as the Cable techs and service reps get more experience installing the cards. Most of the people we've talked to at the cable company were friendly and trying to be helpful they just don't have any training on how to trouble shoot these device setups.
DocSavag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #340
Ereth

Now THAT was easy.

I got home tonight and my Series 3 was here. I called the VIP line to transfer my lifetime and was told that I had got Tech Support and they'd transfer me, and then a recording told me that hold time was a minimum 35 minutes. So I hung up.

I hooked it up and ran Guided Setup. It worked fine so I called TiVo again, figuring I'd sit on hold while I fiddled with the channel lineups and stuff and got right through rep who was terrific and transferred my Lifetime right away.

Then I called Comcast and got a wonderful woman who said my Cablecards "should've been activated when I picked them up". Nonetheless she sent them a hit, without asking me any questions (the details on the screen were not necessary) and after about 2 minutes, I had CableTV.

In fact, I had channels I wasn't expecting to get!

Everybody was pleasant, and it worked first try.

So then I watched all of Shanans videos and was most amused to see "Bob Pony's music on the "Pictures and More" screenshot. We want to listen to your music, Pony!

All in all, it went perfect, with the exception that I forgot to pick up a splitter for my OTA antenna so I don't actually receive those channels until I make a quick trip to Lowes tomorrow!
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #341
Kurthi
Member "Lucky 200"

My Install was today in Pottstown, PA (NW of Philadelphia)

2 Techs arrive at 4:00pm. I believe one was an apprentice, the other seemed very knowledgeable about cable cards. I showed them the TiVo and they said that they have not seen one yet.

They began by looking at the wire from the street pole into the house. The installer said that they needed to run a new cable from the pole to the house because the existing wire was old and CC are very sensitive to signal loss. They also attached a gray box to the outside of the house (signal booster?).

By 5:00pm they are ready to begin the CC install. He puts in the first card and I immediately notice it's firmware version 4.05. I am a bit concerned due to some posts here about 4.05.

Because the dispatch que says it will be at least 10 minutes before an answer, we decide to install the second card and try to activate both in one call.

Once his dispatcher gets on the line, he reads the numbers to him and the first card gets activated. after about 3 minutes I am getting all the channels.

We activate the second card and we get nothing. The dispatcher then tells us that since I had only one STB, The first card replaced it and he would have to duplicate my account for the second card. Ten more minutes later both cards working perfectly.

To insure my internet is working, I run music on Galleon to see if pictures show up and they do. The installer is totally impressed with the applications in music, photos, and more. His apprentice can't believe how sharp the picture on my TV is compared to what he sees on their Moto boxes. They even offer to take away my old Moto box. At 6:00pm out the door they go.

He was right about the wire to the house as well. Signal strength went from 90/92 to 96/98.

Overall experience

Last edited by Kurthi : 09-22-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Kurthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #342
Wes Mantooth
One of the "200"

Thought I share my cablecard story.

Went down to my local Comcast office on Monday to try and pick up the cards. Asked the lady at the desk for two cablecards, she hadn't heard of the new Tivo but found the cards and entered the serial numbers into my account. The whole thing took about 5 minutes and I walked out with two cablecards. Unfortunately my S3 didn't get here until Friday. So after work I went home and set it all up. I had both of the cablecards in the Tivo. I called 1800Comcast, and selected the menu for cable tv support. The CSR got on the line and I told him I had two cablecards I needed to initialize. He said, "Two? Is this for the new Tivo?" So I guess word is finally getting around. I offered to tell him the serial numbers, but they were already on my account (from Monday). He sent the signal, I got a 161-4 error. I went to test channels and nothing happened. He sent another signal to card #2, 161-4 error, tested channels and nothing. Back to card 1 a minute later and I had my channels. Went to HBO 'cause I figured if that came in, then all my subscription channels would. Switched back to card #2 and now it worked to. All in all it was probably, 5-6 minutes for the whole process. It was really easy, and I'm glad I didn't have to have a tech come over to do it. I had braced myself for all sorts of errors, 161-1, etc..., but I was pleasantly surprised at how painless it was. I hope it goes this well for everyone else. Good luck!
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #343
jdcountry

Exclamation Comcast CableCard delayed installation

I am in Sacramento. I called to obtain the Cable Card for my new Series 3 TiVo. I was told no problem. They would have to send an installer to insert the cards. No charge. The big downer was that the first appoint they had was 1 month out!! Changes in service were back logged!!!!!

I'm waiting now until Oct 21 to be able to use my new TiVo

Last edited by jdcountry : 09-23-2006 at 12:11 AM.
jdcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:20 AM   #344
gthassell

Thought I would post a follow-up. At an appointment this morning to replace the card that was never functioning from a week ago, the contractor for Comcast "refused" to touch my box - told me I had to do all the work - inserting card, etc. - and it didn't work right.

Eventually I got channels up to 99, and when he called the head end, they said that "everything was working fine on their end" and that I was "only supposed to get analog channels with the second cable card."

After a call to the National corporate office, the Chicago area corporate office was rather nice, calling me several times, and arranged for a tech to support / troubleshoot over the phone, conferenced in with their MIS department.

What I was able to discover is that the 4th menu down on the Cable Card Menu / Conditional Access, the "analog" card had settings / displays that did not match the working card (#1).

After explaining that the bad card did not say Authorized (I think it said "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY") in the Auth field, the MIS group did a "hard reset" and after 5 minutes, I had full dual tuner access. Net time from Tivo purchase to Dual Tuners, 6 days, 23 hours.

Now to just try and deal with the billing issues....

Anyway, I can't believe how great the quality is.

Go TiVo!
lifetimed S1s, S2, and S3 OLED, Premier 4 tuner (2TB)
gthassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #345
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Arrow Missing Expanded Basic channels

I ordered one new CC and already had one CC in my Sony TV. The Comcast guy came yesterday before my S3 arrived and I suggested that he install the NEW CC in my TV to check if it worked. He resisted as he thought it might only pair (my word) with the first device it saw so he just left it for me to install.

When the S3 got here I installed the first card (old TV one) and got the MMI menu within a minute or so. I never did get the 161-4 error message. I called Comcast and they "hit" it and after a bit I got channels. I tested several and all seemed fine.

I repeated the process with the new card and again didn't get the 161-4 error. Again channels were present a minute or less after they sent the hit.

I was a happy guy. Had many SD channels and all the right HD channels, including the HBO/Starz premiums that I'd ordered.

I completed guided setup and proceeded to watch some HD. I also dialed into the Tivo server a few more times to get all the guide data and eventually got the 1a software upgrade.

Today after work I tried to look at a few more channels and discovered that I get almost everything I had last night but that virtually all the Extended Basic channels were black or very snowy.

I called Comcast and asked them to hit both cards and the rep did. No aparent change. She went away and came back and suggested I power down and remove the cards and then power back up. I did that.

Putting first card back in I was NOT able to get the MMI menu again. Same with card two. Hitting both cards again did not produce a change. I suggested that she de-authorize Extended Basic and turn it back on again. She said that wouldn't help and she refused to 'hit' the cards again as she thought too many hits might screw them up. She wants to roll a truck. Seems to me the other option is to call back hoping to get more knowledgeable rep.

I'm now actually most worried about a big blue and orange "Hunt" display on the CC Network Setup screen for both cards. I also had to re-do guided setup after re-inserting the cards. --- (new edit) The second card now says "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY"

I searched for 'missing' in this forum and see that some folks are missing channels too. Any ideas what gives?

Thanks

Last edited by TBoyd : 09-23-2006 at 12:36 AM.
TBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 AM   #346
fsponge

Arrow Comcast Says "Get Cablecards from Best Buy"

I'm in Arlington Heights, IL (Chicago suburb) and just called 1-800-COMCAST to ask about getting CableCards for my S3. I carefully explained to the rep that I would like to give back my current Motorola box and get 2 CableCards from Comcast to install into the S3.

She told me "Sir, we don't have CableCards for TiVo, you'll have to go to Best Buy or Circuit City to get those". I felt sorry for her, I got the impression that a lot of people call there asking to buy TiVo. I tried to give her a break and told her "I'm sure I'm not explaining this very well. I want to give back my cable box and start using my new TiVo Series 3 as a cable box. Comcast has two little cards that slide into my TiVo that turn it into a cable box."

There was enough silence on the other end of the line that I actually thought she hung up on me. I finally asked her if she was still there, and she explained that she was "looking it up".

After a few more minutes, she agreed that Comcast would provide me with the CableCards, but that she couldn't give me any more information because a supervisor would need to "close out the open ticket" on my phone service first. Surprising, since I have no problems with my Comcast phone service. Anyway, a supervisor is supposed to call me back sometime in the middle of the night. It's 12:25am now.

Not too good so far!
fsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:36 AM   #347
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
Today after work I tried to look at a few more channels and discovered that I get almost everything I had last night but that virtually all the Extended Basic channels were black or very snowy.
It sounds like you're getting analog basic channels. Comcast may be simulcasting digital on your cable, which community are you in? You might do better if you could get the digital channels instead. Tech support can't help you in this, they're totally clueless, if you do want digital, you can go to your local office and ask for a DCT700 box. That's a digtial only box and putting that on your account causes them to switch the basic channels to digital. You don't even need to take the box away, they just have to note it on your account.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 AM   #348
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
It sounds like you're getting analog basic channels. Comcast may be simulcasting digital on your cable, which community are you in? You might do better if you could get the digital channels instead. Tech support can't help you in this, they're totally clueless, if you do want digital, you can go to your local office and ask for a DCT700 box. That's a digtial only box and putting that on your account causes them to switch the basic channels to digital. You don't even need to take the box away, they just have to note it on your account.
Hmm, interesting. But I AM getting HD Digitals fine and even non-HD Digitals. Would your diagnosis still apply?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:54 AM   #349
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. But I AM getting HD Digitals fine and even non-HD Digitals. Would your diagnosis still apply?
Yes. They broadcast basic as analog for compatibility. Simulcasting is the first step in going all digital.

You can check if a channel is digital by:

Hit record, if it offers quality settings, its analog.
Check cable signal strength. If it shows up, its digital
Check: Messages & Settings -> Account and System information -> Diagnostics. Look for "modulation" on your tuner, if its QAM its digital, if its unknown, its analog.

I would be really surprised if you didn't get analog basic.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #350
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Note

Yea, it appears that basic and limited basic are analog. Although even my digital channels, both SD and HD, show 'unknown' for modulation.

So you're just saying that simulcasting, both analog and digital, would make my reception of just one block of analog stuff be less reliable? Aren't lots of places in the Bay Area like mine?

Thanks for the replies, by the way.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:29 AM   #351
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
(new edit) The second card now says "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY"

I searched for 'missing' in this forum and see that some folks are missing channels too. Any ideas what gives?

Thanks
I just got 2 cards installed today. The installer was in a hurry, and the girl he talked to at the other end had no clue. The installer said that no device pairing is required, does that sound normal? I'm in San Jose willow glen / almaden valley area. Anyone else here got it installed yet? After the girl on the other end said she activated the cards, the two cards do seem to at least got the channel lineup. However, I'm not getting anything besides local, PBS, HD local, and ESPN HD ESPN2 HD. It looks like I have nothing besides basic cable. Funny I guess ESPN HD is broadcasted in the clear. Mine also says

Connected:yes, EnabledByCP:no
Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY
CA enable: not possible

These 3 lines in my Conditional Access menu don't look very good to me. They are doing atruck roll tomorrow, so will se what happens.

BTW, everything was going so well. I ordered on Tue this week, with 4-6 day deliver, figure people are waiting for cable card install anyway. But lo-and-behold, there's a box sitting on my porch Thur morning. It could've even been delivered Wed for all I know. Don't know how Tivo got a box to me in 1 day (sorry for you guys with ordering problem, hope you all getting your S3 soon). I'm not thrilled that the delivery left it, but just happy it showed up none-the-less. I called Comcast on Thur, and got an appointment Fri am. I didn't think I could get this lucky. So I guess lady luck was just teasing me.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #352
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
my digital channels, both SD and HD, show 'unknown' for modulation.
Are you sure you're looking at the right tuner? Digtial channels should be QAM.
Quote:
So you're just saying that simulcasting, both analog and digital, would make my reception of just one block of analog stuff be less reliable? Aren't lots of places in the Bay Area like mine?
The simulcasting shoudln't make a difference to the analog. However, my experience is they're clueless at fixing analog problems, and I prefer to have digital channels. You might still have a channel block on the line somewhere, so getting them to look at it might be profitable. I just couldn't be bothered and (eventually) got them to switch me to analog.

How are the signal strengths on the digital channels? You may have a problem on all channels, but it only shows up on analog. My signal strengths are in the 96-100 range.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #353
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Digital signal strength is mostly solid 97-99 for the channels I've checked, with a couple down to 92-94.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:05 AM   #354
KidGloves

2xCableCards installed today, no problems

Comcast tech (not contractor) came onsite today to install. Never seen the Tivo, told me when he walked in that he 'guarenteed he'd be back' due to Cablecard problems he had experienced (none with the Tivo). In 10 minutes, we were up and running, absolutely no problems. I'm in Southeast Michigan area (Detroit suburb). 16.95 for the service call to haul way the OMFG terrible Moto PVR's and install the Cable cards. I had to haggle on the phone to convince them that I should only have to pay one 'digital outlet fee' of 6.95, since both cablecards are going in the same device, and said device only connects to 'one outlet'.

I also got rid of the Digital Silver package I had (70.99 / month!) and went down to limited basic ($9.99) + digital outlet ($6.95) so my total bill should be $16.90 + tax every month. I only watch my local HD channels anyway, so I might has well recoup my 1k investment in this Tivo.
KidGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #355
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwherry
Or Confused

I spoke with Comcast in Denver today (Rob in Technical Support/Sales Support) and was told that the cards are free. I can pick them for a "digital self install" at no charge. The full HD package with HBO/Starz was 85/month (plus all the other HD and std channgels)...

so I then said: its just 85/month total? their answer was no. There is a service fee of 9.95 for each card per month. so add 19.90/month.

So my question now is whether the charges for cable cards were negotiated by Comcast with each Metropolitan entity as a part of their overall agreeement for the service they provided to each area....

anyone have any ideas?
Just tell him that he ComCast site says they are free. Period. ...then refer him to their own website:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2651

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #356
Gerhard

Well, I'm still sorting through all the other posts, but I figured that I'd she my ex-roommates story:

"Mike" call ComCast to get a set of CableCARDs for his Tivo S3.

When he told the woman on the phone that it was a Tivo 3, she said "We don't give out CalbeCARDs for Tivos."

Mike then asked what she meant, and the woman was adament that if it wasn't a TV, then ComCast was not giving him CableCARDs.

Mike then dropped the "FCC" bomb and said:

"You are required by the FCC to provide CableCards to for ANY device that is CableLABs certified, which the Tivo Series 3 is."

The lady immediately changed her story and told him he could go and pick up the cards at the local ComCast service center.

At this point, I'm begining to think that ComCast is PURPOSEFULLY attempting to deny CableCARDs to customers. I'm also starting to think that maybe we should be contacting the FCC about this...

Gerhard

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 09-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #357
Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412
Side by Side my S3 peanut and Harmony 880 are almost identical in shape and size. The peanut is slightly curved, slightly narrower in the center, and heavier. All in all, moving from the peanut to the 880 is pretty painless. Although I still keep the peanut out 'cause it's pretty.
To follow that up, even though it's off topic:

The Harmony remote can control ALL of you equipment.

I have a Denon 3600 head unit, but it's old enough to only support the older video modes (SVideo and normal video [yellow RCA]).

So this means that all of the switching capabiliies of the unit are useless with HD (HDMI, Component, and such)...

The Harmony supports macros and advanced programing... so no only does it eliminate the need for more than one remote, it also switches all of the inputs and outputs on my various componets. (i.e. between the HDTV and the AMP...)

As such, I really don't need to go out and pick up a new Denon 3800 series A/V Tuner...

Dell had a instand rebate on them and I got mine for $90.00 new. Great remote, very much like the Tivo remote (which is why it's great)...

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Old 09-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #358
mdreuben

Bad Bad BadComcast-Time Warner Service - Need Help Please!

Scheduled a Comcast - Time Warner (Bay Village, Ohio) Cablecard Install appointment for my Series 3 five days ago for 8 - 12 this morning

Last night I pulled my entire system apart, including the old HD Motorola Box, Tivo, Digital Motorola box in order to be ready for the appointment. Configured the remaining components so everything would go without a hitch.

Installed the Series 3 (everything went fine) but of course could not access any digital service.

Took off work this morning

Received a message at 7:50 this morning that they were out of cable cards and would call back in a week and half to reschedule.

Spent 90 minutes working my way up (not very far) through the system so to see if they could at least find some cable cards in the country and send them to me via FedEx or some service.

"Sorry sir we can't do that". The best we can do is keep your ticket open an give you $20 for the missed appointment.

I asked the supervisor for the number of a general Time Warner / Comcast customer service department so I could pursue this further. She claimed not to have one.

Can anyone offer a suggestion of a number I can call to obtain two simple cable cards?

Thanks!
mdreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #359
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

It's more complicated than that. Each CableCard is usually keyed to a specific market. So a CableCard from the Chicago market won't work in the Atlanta market.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #360
sonicboom

Boston Area: Comcast installation went fine

Comcast rolled the truck out to my house yesterday for my S3 CableCARD installation.

The cable guy brought with him two motorola DVRs and two motorola CableCARDs. I think there was some confusion in the office as to what was actually needed.

I told him all I needed was the cablecards, and that he could return the DVRs and my original HD STB.

I showed him the S3. He wasn't surprised to see it. He said they have been installing cablecards in about one S3 a day. A good sign.

He let me pop the cards in. He didn't have an interest in touching my unit . He then made the call to the mothership to have them activated. This took a while (45 minutes) but they eventually had it all working.

I now have dual tuners with HD and digital programming in my Tivo
sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote