TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #61
terramar

No guide-related problems, and no troubles scheduling recordings.

I haven't really compared the PQ with the verizon box. I switched to fios tv simultaneously with getting the S3s. I had them put in a box, but quite honestly, except for a few minutes of playing around with the VOD features, I haven't used it. Once my full new home theater setup is done (still working on the component video matrix switching for the other TVs in the house), I'll show the VOD stuff to my wife. If she can live without it (and I'm certain she can - we never do PPV even, since we always have plenty to watch on the Tivos), we'll send the box back.

Tom
terramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #62
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme
He's currently working on the side of the house and I'll post more once he's finished.
Well, I thought all was going well earlier this afternoon. I actually got a phone call from someone at Verizon reading this message thread. He wanted to make sure all was going well with the install and walked the tech through the process.

I thought it was all going ok and let the Verizon tech go before the guided setup finished. It completed earlier and the Tivo said it wasn't able to get the channels from the CableCard.

Once my wife finishes watching ER, I'm going to call Verizon and start the troubleshooting process with them.
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #63
legalaliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulposition
What I love about the TiVo over the Motorola box:

- Menus are faster, like blazingly faster.
- Picture seems clearer (even on SD channels).

What I miss about the Motorola box: Nothing.
Picture seems clearer? I know it is difficult without doing a side by side comparison, but can you really see an improvement in PQ (both HD and SD)?

I really like FiOS TV. The HD is great and the price is right. I have been disappointed in the SD PQ. I had hoped the Motorola STB's were the problem because I've always intended to upgrade to the S3 anyway.

Toshiba 30HF83 HDTV Monitor
Sony KLV-23M1 LCD HDTV Monitor
legalaliens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #64
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Once my wife finishes watching ER, I'm going to call Verizon and start the troubleshooting process with them.
I'm up and running now. Just to be sure I didn't have a bad CableCard, we put one of them in my tv to make sure it worked.

He remarried them to my Tivo and went through the guided setup and it started working. As a side note, the "test channels" part of the CableCard menu never worked for me.

One of the best parts of the call is when the tech asked for the number I was calling from in case we got disconnected.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #65
mlkeller

Yeah, went a little rough here in Northern VA, but it's almost working now. When tech first came, he said they did an install in a S3 yesterday and the cable cards did not work, plus they only had one the warehouse (despite the fact that we put the order in for 2 cards a week and a half ago), so they could only setup one today. Also was not willing to put it into the S3, just was going to activate the card and leave it for us (ended up having to stay for us to plug in since needed number from card to activate). Despite that, still was not working when he left (same error about not able to retrieve channels).

A few more calls to Vz tech support and we finally were put in touch with the person who "is working on creating the procedures for cable cards since we are just starting to get more orders for them" and it turned out they entered something wrong earlier during the activation. He keyed something and presto, it worked.

A bit miffed about only having one card, but we'll fix that when cust support opens Monday... they need to get their act together b/c I'm sure more cablecard orders are coming (the S3 is _SO_ much better than their buggy DVR)
mlkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #66
Ken7

I just installed a Series 3 with FIOS. One thing that I've noticed around the internet is that many people wind up comparing the PQ of the Series 3 via HDMI to their old PVR that used component. I don't believe this is a fair comparison. My old Motorola FIOS box was hooked up via HDMI and that's the way I've got the Series 3 connected.

I don't yet have the cable cards installed, but I did scan for OTA HD channels and compared the picture on those to the FIOS HD Broadcast channels on the Motorola box. The pictures were essentially identical. This shows the improvement in PQ of the new Series 3 vs what I used to get with D*'s HD Tivo. Using D*'s Tivo via OTA HD, I found the PQ was never the match for non-Tivo HD D* receivers. The other thing it shows is just how good the PQ (via HDMI) of the Motorola box combined with FIOS's transmission of network HD channels is.

The only negative thus far is the somewhat longer channel changes vs. the Motorola DVR. Hopefully the cable card install will go smoothly.
Ken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #67
TexasAg

I had the Motorola hooked up via HDMI, and I can say that Fios SD is much better on the S3 than on the Motorola. I really wouldn't expect HD to be any different. And I haven't noticed a slower channel change. If anything it is slightly faster.

Been running with 2 CableCARDs since yesterday. Absolutely no problems, just great picture!
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #68
legalaliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
I had the Motorola hooked up via HDMI, and I can say that Fios SD is much better on the S3 than on the Motorola. I really wouldn't expect HD to be any different.
Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear. SD on the Motorola (at least on my setup) is not very good.

Toshiba 30HF83 HDTV Monitor
Sony KLV-23M1 LCD HDTV Monitor
legalaliens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #69
Ken7

Please remember when comparing SD on any box, the important question is how do you have the signal output from the box? As an example, I always set my HD boxes to ouput 1080i all the time, regardless of the channel's resolution. In a case like that, you won't see much if any difference in picture quality between units.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #70
joegarrett
FiOS Fan

A quick update!

Verizon dropped off a Moto 4.21 CC on Sunday. I got around to installing and activating last night. Spent about 15-20 minutes on phone with tech. He got the CC authorized and now I'm receiving all subscribed channels on my JVC 52G886.
I also have a Moto DVR connected via HDMI. Having been a DTiVo user until Jan 2006, there are a few things I miss about TiVo but I've become use to the Moto DVR and the price of the S3 + monthly fee + programming fee really don't make sense to me at this point. IMHO

The Verizon tech did ask me if I was putting the CC in an S3, but wished that TiVo had sent out tester units so the cable companies could have some training with them before rollout. Sounds like Verizon is becoming familiar with the S3 and CC's.
joegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #71
Ken7

Joe, don't you find it a pain not knowing what channel you're on and not having the program info? I know what you mean about the total cost of the S3 and carrying fees. It doesn't make sense that it actually costs more on a monthly basis even after you buy the thing!

On another note, I'll be carefully watching this S3 audio dropout issue. I'm still only using it for OTA HD until the CCs come. If it continues I may well return the unit and stay with the Motorola. I should be getting my CC on Monday. It's funny how FIOS has been very quick to come to my house on virtually anything, but with the CC appointment it was a week later. I guess they're not too anxious to give these things out.

Interestingly they originally told me I could have only 1 CC since I already have 6 boxes (4 HD and 2 SD). They told me I was maxed out. I then told them to remove 1 Motorola PVR and that cleared up the issue. I was really hoping to keep the Motorola for a month or so to see if the S3 measured up and if not, just plug the Motorola back in. No such luck.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #72
joegarrett
FiOS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7
Joe, don't you find it a pain not knowing what channel you're on and not having the program info?
Do you mean no guide on the TV? Not really, the only time we flip over to the TV is if we have 2 recordings going and want to watch something live. It's there more for the exception than the rule.
joegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #73
Beetlejuice

I just ordered the S3 tivo and set up service with Verizon. Prices were in line with what I've read on this page... to the penny. I was amazed however, that the woman who took the call still had not been informed by her Verizon management that there was a new Tivo in town. I had to explain to her about the dual cable card setup but she was familiar with cable card ready TVs and such. So, at least that didn't phase her.

I was also amazed that she really didn't care what I was plugging them into and when I asked about plugging them in the Tvio and what number should I call to activate them, she said they would already be activated and I would not have to do anything. We'll see!!

But I'm glad all you folks here in this room have been the brave souls to go out on this leap of faith so skeptics like me can learn from from your experiences.

I'll post the results when they happen.
Beetlejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #74
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlejuice
I just ordered the S3 tivo and set up service with Verizon. Prices were in line with what I've read on this page... to the penny. I was amazed however, that the woman who took the call still had not been informed by her Verizon management that there was a new Tivo in town. I had to explain to her about the dual cable card setup but she was familiar with cable card ready TVs and such. So, at least that didn't phase her.

I was also amazed that she really didn't care what I was plugging them into and when I asked about plugging them in the Tvio and what number should I call to activate them, she said they would already be activated and I would not have to do anything. We'll see!!

But I'm glad all you folks here in this room have been the brave souls to go out on this leap of faith so skeptics like me can learn from from your experiences.

I'll post the results when they happen.
She's wrong - Verizon will need to know the pairing (the cablecard serial number and the corresponding number from the Tivo) for each card before you can get service.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #75
Beetlejuice

Big Grin

Quote:
She's wrong - Verizon will need to know the pairing (the cablecard serial number and the corresponding number from the Tivo) for each card before you can get service.
That's what I'm figuring too. It didn't sound right but I learned a long time ago to not argue with a wall. The wall will win every time. ;-)

I'll be here when the tech does the install.

If it sounds too good to be true....
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #76
terramar

Quote:
I don't know - maybe I was just being dense, but the installer who came to my house sat there with his laptop and only entered in info from the cable cards - he didn't take down any of the numbers from my S3 screen to activate the card. I could have missed him doing it, but given that he seemed somewhat afraid of the TiVo, I think I would have noticed him staring at the screen and writing stuff down.
terramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #77
TexasAg

Maybe Verizon is doing something weird, but CableCARDs normally don't work unless the cable system can match each card's serial number with the number provided by the Tivo or other device. I know my installer did write down the numbers and entered them into Verizon's system.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #78
wbradney

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
That's about the same price as I'm getting from Comcast with more channels and faster internet.

Anyone know if Verizon is working on getting TV in NJ? Right now it's only internet.
They're going door-to-door in Morris Plains signing people up for FIOS. I asked when TV was going to be available and the guy said "early November".

I just got through with my Cablevision CableCard install today, and it's working great, but I'd love to switch to FIOS Internet & TV. By my reckoning my monthly bill will drop from about $140 to about $80, for a faster connection that's still S3-compatible. Hell, I might even switch from Lingo to Verizon for my VOIP if I can save a bit more and get billed all at once. And then there's always the feeling of sticking it to the cable company (although I'm sure Verizon's customer support will become just as crappy once they gain some traction in TV).
wbradney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #79
PatMcNJ

"I have been hoping FIOS internet would be ready in my neighborhood (New Jersey) since I signed the papers to build my new house. It's been over a year now and I don't see it as being even in the planning stages. :-(
"

It depends upon where you are in NJ. I am in Monmouth County, we were wired up over the summer by Verizon (my development aleady had all utilites underground). Trucks were here for several weeks...... We have been told we will be among the earliest to be switched on, November perhaps. I sure HOPE so.

Then I want to get my Series 3, and switch to FIOS.
PatMcNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #80
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Have any of you had problems with your standard def channels being garbage? We tried to watch "PGA Sunday" on the USA channel this morning and it was crap. It looked like a bad satellite feed or something. A couple episodes of "A Baby Story" that my wife watches had the same problem.

We never had a problem with any of those shows on Comcast, and she's starting to elude to wanting to switch back to Comcast.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #81
evlg

Just ordered in Plano, TX

Just ordered FIOS TV to go with my new Series 3 that I picked up today at the Fry's in Plano, TX

The order on the phone went very smooth. I told the CSR that I wanted 2 Cablecards and 1 STB for the other room and she was very helpful. She did give the speech about VOD and Guide Data, but didn't try to pressure me or anything.

Scheduled for install next Wednesday, can't wait!

For now I have the TiVo hooked up to an antenna for OTA recording, but the reception here isn't very good for all the locals. Getting all the channels in HD will be really excellent.
evlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #82
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlg
For now I have the TiVo hooked up to an antenna for OTA recording, but the reception here isn't very good for all the locals. Getting all the channels in HD will be really excellent.
What part of town are you in that reception isn't good? I live 45 miles from the broadcast towers (about 10 miles east of Wylie) and I get very good reception on every digital station in town.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #83
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Have any of you had problems with your standard def channels being garbage? We tried to watch "PGA Sunday" on the USA channel this morning and it was crap. It looked like a bad satellite feed or something. A couple episodes of "A Baby Story" that my wife watches had the same problem.
Well, it looks like the problem I described above is a bit worse than I originally thought. I went through all my standard def channels, and there are around 20 of them that are unwatchable regardless of the day or hour.

I checked several of those same channels on my standard-def box and they come through just fine. I also tried switching tuners on the Tivo wondering maybe I had a bad tuner, but that didn't help either. I plan on calling Verizon this weekend once I have some free time to sit on the phone with them.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #84
Ilene

My experience with FiosTV

Verizon is out here today installing my Fios Internet and TV. I switched from TW mainly because Megazone said it works with Verizon Fios in the FAQ. The installer just about stroked out when I asked if he had cablecards, he didn't. Had to call a manager to bring them out. Only brought 2 because he said that is all that they can get at a time. Both of them are insisting that they will not work. I am praying that if I follow the instructions that came with the TiVo box and the ones that were posted in another thread, that it will work.
All the while I am trying to understand why TiVo would design a box to use technology that cable companies are seem so reluctant to support.

I really need the name and number of the Verizon tech that another poster got such good help with.

More to come when they are finished.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #85
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
All the while I am trying to understand why TiVo would design a box to use technology that cable companies are seem so reluctant to support.
TiVo is selling a product/service that threaten revenue streams (VOD etc) for the cable companies. It is no surprise to me that the MSOs are reluctant to support the CableCARD. TiVo still has a right to sell product into that environment.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #86
evlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathanb
What part of town are you in that reception isn't good? I live 45 miles from the broadcast towers (about 10 miles east of Wylie) and I get very good reception on every digital station in town.
I'm in Plano and can't get ABC to come in worth a damn. Tried several antennas and orientations but couldn't get a good signal. Not sure where the interference is coming from.

NBC is pretty good, CBS good, FOX good, PBS OK but not great. The other random channels like 33 and 27 are also OK but not great.

Can't wait to get FIOS installed to avoid these problems altogether.
evlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #87
Ilene

Plano Tx Fios update - It's working!!!

This is a continuation of my previous thread. The entire process of rewiring for telephone, internet and cable took about 7 hours. It took nearly 2 hours to get the cablecards to work. I had printed out an article that another forum member recommended: http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42. While it is very Comcast focused, we were able to glean enough info to help. It would have been nice if the instructions that TiVo says to hand to the installer was actually complete, but it really wasn't.

Hopefully this will help:
1) Ask for the cablecards and write down the Serial Number (SN) and the UnitAddress (UA) that is on each of the cards. Your installer will need to repeat the numbers over and over.
2) Make note of which one you put in the bottom slot, this cablecard 1.
3) When you put the card in the bottom slot, a screen will show up with the card in green. I waited several minutes just staring at this screen and nothing happened. There is an option for Configure Card 1, so I decided to select it.
4) A black screen with white information shows up. This is the MMI screen that TiVo has a picture of in their instructions. According to the info in the techdig article, the HOST and DATA numbers are critical.
5) The tech will need to provide the Host and Data info to the guy on the phone. It will take that person several tries to type the long string of numbers and letters.
6) Because they could not do one and then the other, I had to put CC2 in before we finished with CC1.
7) The screen pops up showing 2 CCs in green and there is a new option for Configure CC2. We waited a few minutes before I selected the Configure CC2. The HOST and DATA information are unique for each CC.
8) It appeared that the person on the phone had a lot of trouble keeping the information straight between the 2 cards. He kept mixing the Host and Data information between the 2 different serial numbers. Since I couldn't see the screen he had to enter this into, I can't comment on why this was so difficult.
9) I can tell you that they had to reenter this information many times. I heard that they were getting an error message, but I could not find out what the message was. The TiVo Config screens time out, so I had to go through the TiVo Central menu many times to get back to the CC screens.
10) When they are successful, TiVo will automatically go to the Test Channel screen. For me this happened to CC1. All of the sudden the TV station it is testing appears in the background. We told them to stop messing with it because whatever they did, it was working.
11) We asked them to do whatever, to the second card. They did and the TiVo screen changed to the Test Channel screen automatically.

I am up and running. So far everything is working the way it is supposed to although I have a ton of rehooking and unhooking to do.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:23 AM   #88
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
I plan on calling Verizon this weekend once I have some free time to sit on the phone with them.
I spoke with a Fios tech support guy tonight. We tried a couple things with the CableCards (including testing them in my tv) and he thinks I have at least one bad CableCard, possibly both of them.

He tried resetting both of them and the USA channel (and others) still came through garbled.

I really hope they get something figured out. My wife is none too pleased that some of her shows aren't watchable due to a handful of garbled channels.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #89
Beetlejuice

Bad reception on Verizon local only SD

Quote:
Well, it looks like the problem I described above is a bit worse than I originally thought. I went through all my standard def channels, and there are around 20 of them that are unwatchable regardless of the day or hour.

I checked several of those same channels on my standard-def box and they come through just fine. I also tried switching tuners on the Tivo wondering maybe I had a bad tuner, but that didn't help either. I plan on calling Verizon this weekend once I have some free time to sit on the phone with them.
I just got Verizon over on Friday in Lewisville, TX to install fios tv. The installation of the cards was fairly painless and the installer didn't need the CC info provided by the Tivo box. Either they already had the numbers from the CC or they used the address of the ONT network terminal outside. The installer just called in and told the office to "turn on the premiere channels" and they did. That being said...

The recepeption on all of the verizon provided local SD channels on cable are crap. When the channel is changed to the local SC cable channel, it looks great for about 5 seconds and then starts pixelating and dropping audio really bad. This is on every local cable channel. The only "locals" that come in clear are channel 6 which is WGN and any cable only provided local access info channels with no OTA transmission. Of course WGN does not have an OTA channel in Texas either. This is very odd because EVERY verizon cable channel above 30 comes in crystal clear with no interference whatsoever. I think the cable cards are working fine. If they were "bad", then I really think I would be having problems on other cable only channels. But this only happens on the S3 with CCs. The Vz STB going into a S1 Tivo does not have this problem.

So, at least here in the Lewisville-Grapevine area, it would seem logical to conclude that the local channels that are getting bad reception on cable are probably getting interference from the OTA channels of the same or even adjacent frequencies. This problem was happening when the installer was here so we tried a lot of different things to try and rule out on-premise interference. We ran a dedicated coax directly to the Tivo to rule out other jacks acting as an antenna, I turned off all my 2.4, 5.8 GHz phones, all electronic equipment in my entertainment center except for the TV of course. Heck I even turned off the microwave and refrigerator. We ensured that the ONT was properly grounded.

AFter talking to the Vz, level 2 support, the tech engineer recommended that the ONT be replaced with a model that is being used for new fios installations. My ONT was installed early last year when we got fios internet.

So... Is the ONT really the problem? Who knows. I believe that Lewisville and Grapevine both use the service out of Keller. At least that was the only Verizon option on the Tivo guided setup. Is the interference being interjected at the ONT or is the interference actually being transmitted by the central office over the fios. It doesn't matter where it enters the systems, the fiber optic can transmit that just as easily as cable. Of course the RF interference cannot be picked up by the fiber optic cable.

I haven't called Tivo to report this problem yet but will do so tomorrow. I suppose the real question is... Is it Verizon's problem for providing an interference signal or is it Tivo's problem for not recognizing that this could be a problem on local channels and not adequately filtering the OTA from the cable input? I think this has the potential of getting a little messy. At the moment I do not have a commitment from Verizon regarding the replacement ONT but will post what happens.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #90
bkdtv

Channel numbers <50 on FiOS are analog and the quality is not particularly good.

You will want to remove all channel numbers <50 from the guide and use the digital versions of the locals in the 800s.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote