TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #31
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

I just got off the phone with Verizon and scheduled an install for 9/22.

Since I already have Fios Internet, they knocked $5 off the cost of the service. Here is how my bill will break down:

FiOS TV Premier $34.95
Sports Package $ 5.95
CableCard $ 2.95
CableCard $ 2.95
SD Cable Box $ 3.95

The lady I spoke with said I was the first person she spoke with about the new Tivos. She didn't blink or stutter at all when I mentioned the CableCards were going in it.
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #32
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme

Since I already have Fios Internet, they knocked $5 off the cost of the service. Here is how my bill will break down:

FiOS TV Premier $34.95
Sports Package $ 5.95
CableCard $ 2.95
CableCard $ 2.95
SD Cable Box $ 3.95

The lady I spoke with said I was the first person she spoke with about the new Tivos. She didn't blink or stutter at all when I mentioned the CableCards were going in it.
Mine was hemming and hawing about how "their system doesn't work with Tivo" and "their system doesn't support Tivo." When I pushed her, she said something about the Tivo not being able to "read the data." I told her I didn't case about VOD or PPV and I'd be getting the guide data from somewhere else. She stopped real quick and set up the install date.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #33
aaronw

I'd just like to reiterate for everyone that if you have FiOS (my parents do), you do not *necessarily* have FiOS TV. They are still in the process of getting TV franchises with the various counties and cities. For example, they *just* got a tentative agreement with Montgomery County, MD to offer TV:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091301956.html
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #34
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw
I'd just like to reiterate for everyone that if you have FiOS (my parents do), you do not *necessarily* have FiOS TV. They are still in the process of getting TV franchises with the various counties and cities. For example, they *just* got a tentative agreement with Montgomery County, MD to offer TV:
This may be true in MD and in other states, but not in Texas.

Texas passed a law earlier in the year for a state wide franchise agreement. Verizon and AT&T (formally SWB) can both offer television service as long as they honor existing franchise agreements with the individual cities.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #35
bproteau

Verizon FIOS TV and HD Tivo

I've been reading the various posts on Tivo compatibility with Verizon FIOS TV. Like others I'm dismayed by the small non-upgradable DVR hard drive Verizon offers. I have a Panasonic TH-58PX600U and would like to get more recording time. I have also been spoiled by Tivo's interface.

I'm still a little confused and need a couple points clarified.

(1) To get full Tivo functionality with FIOS TV it seems I'll need 2 cable cards. I assume one goes in the TIVO and one in the TV?

(2) Is anyone actually doing this and can vouch for full functionality without any channel changing lag or other problems? (I'm aware of the On Demand and PPV limitation)

I don't think I've come across a post where someone is actually doing this and having it work flawlessly. If anyone does get this working please post your experiiences and/or problems.

Regards
bproteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #36
bkdtv

Quote:
(1) To get full Tivo functionality with FIOS TV it seems I'll need 2 cable cards. I assume one goes in the TIVO and one in the TV?
Both go into the Series3 -- one for each of the built-in digital cable tuners. The Series3 has two CableCard slots on the back. You do not need a CableCard or CableCard slot on your TV.

Note when FiOS receives stock of multistream CableCards in November, you'll only need one CableCard instead of two. A multistream CableCard is able to support multiple tuners, whereas a standard CableCard only supports one -- which is why you need two of those in the Series3.

The Series3 works great with FiOS.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #37
bproteau

Quote:
Both go into the Series3 -- one for each of the built-in digital cable tuners. The Series3 has two CableCard slots on the back. You do not need a CableCard or CableCard slot on your TV.
Thanks for clarifying BKDTV.

So, it sounds like you have the exact setup described working for you. HDTV, Series 3 TIVO, 2 cable cards? Is that correct?

Have their been any guide related issues or recording problems you've seen?

Anything else to note?

Last edited by bproteau : 09-15-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #38
Jazhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
They use pretty heavy machinery to bore the earth and push the conduit under streets and along curb lines. Perhaps (just a guess) this process is too rough for the fragile fiber. What is interesting in my 'hood is that they did not run conduit to each house, just the in-ground junction boxes spaced around every two or three houses. They will still need to trench to the homes.
Most implementations run conduit far before they run anything through it, for various reasons. In an ideal situation, you run your conduit and pull/junction boxes down the length of your run. Then you come back later with the spools of fiber and the various equipment for pulling it, and pull a single run of fiber as far as it can go. Then you come back later, and do any splits/splices that you need to do.

The reason being, each splice in a fiber line has a dB loss, so you want to minimize splices as much as possible. Even better is that a single run of fiber tends to be subdivided in the cable itself: a 72-strand fiber cable may be 6 buffer tubes of 12 fibers each. That way, you can have a single buffer that runs, relatively unspliced, all the way to the end of your run, while you're breaking the others out that need to splice closer in.

Thus, it's generally a better idea to wait until all your conduit is in before you run your fiber, unless you really like using ($$$) repeaters.

</too much information about fiber>
Jazhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #39
Peanuthead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
The Series3 works great with FiOS.
Are you actually DOING this, as the poster asked?
I am very interested in this also, as I want to replace my FIOS DVR,
but want to make sure that there are no significant issues before
purchasing the Tivo.

Thanks.
Peanuthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #40
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:

FiOS TV Premier $34.95
Sports Package $ 5.95
CableCard $ 2.95
CableCard $ 2.95
SD Cable Box $ 3.95

Wow. The TV Premier price is significantly cheaper than anything Comcast (my cable provider) offers outside of basic cable (which is just locals and public access). I'd be interested to see your channel lineup.

I have been hoping FIOS internet would be ready in my neighborhood (New Jersey) since I signed the papers to build my new house. It's been over a year now and I don't see it as being even in the planning stages. :-(

With prices like that I would jump in about 12 seconds ago.

No, that last statement didn't make any sense but you get what I meant, so there!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #41
dcpmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw
I'd just like to reiterate for everyone that if you have FiOS (my parents do), you do not *necessarily* have FiOS TV. They are still in the process of getting TV franchises with the various counties and cities.
Yeah. I've had 15/5 Fios internet service for a while here in Redondo Beach, CA, but now that the S3 is here, I am DYING to get FiosTV to replace DTV. I just spoke with a city rep, who said that they won't approve an agreement until Verizon finishes building out the fiber network over the entire city, which probably won't happen until early next year..... . Now I've got to decide whether to purchase an S3 in advance to take advantage of the limited offer S1-to-S3 lifetime service swap, or wait to see what TiVO will offer next year...
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #42
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
I'd be interested to see your channel lineup.
http://www22.verizon.com/content/fio...nel+lineup.htm

Select TX - North Texas Area. You'll be stunned what I'm getting, I know I still am.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #43
bkdtv

Quote:
Are you actually DOING this, as the poster asked?
I am very interested in this also, as I want to replace my FIOS DVR,
but want to make sure that there are no significant issues before
purchasing the Tivo.
I waited an extra two days hoping to get the box cheaper via Amazon, so the answer is no, I don't have this setup yet, because my CableCard installation appointment isn't until Monday.

That said, I've had discussions the head of FiOS' engineering department and was assured 1) they've seen the Series3 working with their system, and 2) it works very well with their system, outside of VOD.

Wait until Monday if you want my personal experience w/ FiOS and the Series3.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #44
bkdtv

More FiOS channel lineups for download here:

http://fioswatch.com/channel-lineups/
Old 09-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #45
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
http://www22.verizon.com/content/fio...nel+lineup.htm

Select TX - North Texas Area. You'll be stunned what I'm getting, I know I still am.
DEAR GOD. all that for $40 a month....... [heart attack=+1]

I have a deal like that with Comcast (Digital Silver for $40 per month) but that was only for six months and runs out on December 5th, when the price goes to nearly $80 per month.

And I don't even need the sports package, so I'd be fine with paying for four cablecards per month.

All the HD channels I get (except INHD1/2) plus: MTVHD, National Geographic HD, and Wealth TV HD (WHAT THE HECK IS WEALTH TV?? My wife would LOVE that channel).

Is that a lifetime price or promotional???

Plus they have THIS. Good heavens, I hope they get TV in NJ.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #46
bkdtv

Quote:
Is that a lifetime price or promotional???
Service is $39.95/mo but you get $5/mo off if you also subscribe to Internet service. If you subscribe to Verizon phone service, you get another $5/mo off.

Here's the typical FiOS TV + Internet bill.

Subtract $16.90/mo off that bill if you aren't renting their DVR and set-top box.

In NY and NJ, that gets you 10Mbps Internet with 2Mbps upstream. If you want even faster Internet, 20Mbps with 5Mbps upstream is $10/mo more.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #47
classicX
Don't scream.

That's about the same price as I'm getting from Comcast with more channels and faster internet.

Anyone know if Verizon is working on getting TV in NJ? Right now it's only internet.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #48
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
That's about the same price as I'm getting from Comcast with more channels and faster internet.

Anyone know if Verizon is working on getting TV in NJ? Right now it's only internet.
Both Gov. Corzine and the Senate have finally approved Verizon's NJ state wide franchise. I think rollout is supposed to start Nov/Dec ish. Could have been if NJ gov hadn't done its usual heel dragging. I have been enjoying my FIOS internet for a while now...looking forward to a series 3 and TV.
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 AM   #49
bigDvette

Set a couple of things straight

I spent 2 hours calling Verizon and talking to techs to confirm a few things.

All Verizon Cablecards are 2.0 versions, but they only work 1 way (downstream) and not upstream and as stated earlier that means no guide and no VOD. No problem for me.

2.0 Cablecards are not the same as multistream. The Verizon cards are not multistream so you will need 2 cards to record 2 shows at once off of the digital cable. You could record one OTA or analog cable and one digital cable channel together, but not 2 digital unless you have 2 cards.

The 2 cards go in the tivo, nothing goes in the TV cablecard wise.

Whether they will send you the cards or make you pay to install them is based on your area evidentially as they are mailing me my cards. I already have 1 card. They gave me the number to call and activate the cards. Push back and you may get them to send them to you.

The fiber goes directly to your house and the ONT breaks it up in to TV, Internet and phone. TV takes longer to get than internet in most places as franchises aren't in place.

Comcast does not offer any speed close to FIOS. When you get TV they upgrade your bandwidth both down/up to 30/5. No your down is limited to what you pay, but the up goes to 5 for everyone. Not only that, but it is reliable as anything I've ever had only having obvious issues when we loose electricity.

And on that topic, I love Comcasts and the DSL companies commericals listing that you loose fios when the power is out. Well I also loose my router, computer, network disks, tivos, tv and refridgerator.

My Tivos will be here on Tuesday and my cards will be here Tuesday as well and I will post my experience.

Last edited by bigDvette : 09-18-2006 at 07:47 PM.
bigDvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #50
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDvette
I spent 2 hours calling Verizon and talking to techs to confirm a few things.

All Verizon Cablecards are 2.0 versions, but they only work 1 way (downstream) and not upstream and as stated earlier that means no guide and no VOD. No problem for me.

2.0 Cablecards are not the same as multistream. The Verizon cards are not multistream so you will need 2 cards to record 2 shows at once off of the digital cable. You could record one OTA or analog cable and one digital cable channel together, but not 2 digital unless you have 2 cards.

The 2 cards go in the tivo, nothing goes in the TV cablecard wise.

Whether they will send you the cards or make you pay to install them is based on your area evidentially as they are mailing me my cards. I already have 1 card. They gave me the number to call and activate the cards. Push back and you may get them to send them to you.

The fiber goes directly to your house and the ONT breaks it up in to TV, Internet and phone. TV takes longer to get than internet in most places as franchises aren't in place.

Comcast does not offer any speed close to FIOS. When you get TV they upgrade your bandwidth both down/up to 30/5. No your down is limited to what you pay, but the up goes to 5 for everyone. Not only that, but it is reliable as anything I've ever had only having obvious issues when we loose electricity.

And on that topic, I love Comcasts and the DSL companies commericals listing that you loose fios when the power is out. Well I also loose my router, computer, network disks, tivos, tv and refridgerator.

My Tivos will be here on Tuesday and my cards will be here Tuesday as well and I will post my experience.
This has been discussed many times here on the forums. There are no 2.0 cablecards out yet. In fact, there are no multistream 1.0 cards out yet. The only cards out are unidirectional 1.0 cards.

You can tell the tech was wrong since he said the 2.0 cards were not bidirectional. That's the whole point of 2.0 - bidirectional communication.

These are simply 1.0 CC.

FYI - Please let us know how it goes. My cablecard install in scheduled for Friday. And please PM me the phone number they gave you. I might need it (if my tech is having problems)! Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #51
bigDvette

What the tech said is that they don't enable the upstream capabilities of the 2.0 card yet. He pulled out a bunch of manuals to read a bunch of specs to me. He may have been stating that they won't enable 2 way communication. I will have 3 cards in my hands tomorrow and I will compare to the card in my Tv which I know is 1.0 and post the model number on the card.

There are definitely no multi-stream 1.0 or 2.0 cards yet.

I'll admit I could be wrong, but in either case verizon does not have multistream cards nor do they allow for 2 way communication. That I think we all agree on.

Tivo's arrived today, but no cards yet from Verizon. I could pull my TV one out, but I'll give it another day.
bigDvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #52
TexasAg

Quote:
What the tech said is that they don't enable the upstream capabilities of the 2.0 card yet. He pulled out a bunch of manuals to read a bunch of specs to me. He may have been stating that they won't enable 2 way communication. I will have 3 cards in my hands tomorrow and I will compare to the card in my Tv which I know is 1.0 and post the model number on the card.

There are definitely no multi-stream 1.0 or 2.0 cards yet.

I'll admit I could be wrong, but in either case verizon does not have multistream cards nor do they allow for 2 way communication. That I think we all agree on.

Tivo's arrived today, but no cards yet from Verizon. I could pull my TV one out, but I'll give it another day.
Good luck - I'm still waiting on my S3 from Tivo and hoping I get it before my CableCARD install on Friday. I've loved Verizon's TV service and really hope the install goes well and everything works with the S3. Please keep us posted!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #53
terramar

Fios TV installed in Manhattan Beach, CA - working great w/ S3

I had 4 cable cards installed in a pair of S3's yesterday. Verizon wouldn't send out the cards, they had to roll somebody out for an install. He'd done only one or two other cable installs, and had never heard of a Tivo that used cablecards. He just handed them over to me and stood back.

Installation went fine. I went through the documented steps and installed the cards. I went ahead and put both cards in at once in each of the two S3s, while he plugged his laptop in and logged in to a verizon site to enable the cards. It took just a few minutes, and we were receiving all channels just fine. No problems, no hiccups.

Picture quality is terrific, and everything is working just as it should. If there are no problems in the next week, then I'm canceling DirecTV. Anybody needs some HDVR2's?
terramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #54
joegarrett
FiOS Fan

Just wanted to provide some info on Verizon FIOS. I don't have a S3 at this time but instead use the FIOS DVR. When we've got 2 shows recording and want to watch something live we can't unless we use OTA and then only locals. So, because my TV (JVC HD-52G886) has a cablecard slot I called Verizon and ordered a cablecard to go into the TV so now we'll be able to record 2 shows and watch a live show.

Ordering the CC from Verizon was easy and cost $2.95 per month, I believe.

Also, I did explain to the tech that people could be calling in for 2 CC for the new S3. He hadn't heard of it but was writing down what I was telling him to pass to supervisor for distribution to other techs.

For what it's worth.
joegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #55
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by terramar
Picture quality is terrific, and everything is working just as it should.
I have my install scheduled for tomorrow and hope to report similar results. I can't wait to get all the additional HD channels for only $6 more than Comcast's basic service.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #56
BobCamp1

Quote:
Comcast does not offer any speed close to FIOS.

I love Comcasts and the DSL companies commericals listing that you loose fios when the power is out. Well I also loose my router, computer, network disks, tivos, tv and refridgerator.
The need for speed is why cable cos. are deploying SDV ASAP. Very stiff competition from Verizon.

You will lose all Internet service when the power goes out. Your POTS phones (i.e. ones not using VoIP) will work for six hours, as there is a UPS inside the ONT on the side of your house. After that, you'll have to (gasp) use your cell phone.

I've been in hurricanes where the power and phone came back on in 24 hours, but the cable was out for weeks. Fortunately, I had DirecTV. BTW, have you seen THOSE commercials?
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #57
legalaliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by terramar
Picture quality is terrific, and everything is working just as it should. If there are no problems in the next week, then I'm canceling DirecTV. Anybody needs some HDVR2's?
Did you compare the PQ with the S3/Cablecards to the PQ with the FiOS HD boxes (the Motorola DVR and the Motorola HD Receiver)?

What I'm getting at is, along time ago, somebody posted something somewhere (sorry I'm not more specific, but my memory really sucks!) that insinuated that the Motorola boxes provided by Verizon are not able to completely render the full resolution of the received signal. In other words, while the FiOS infrastructure delivers channels at full bandwidth, their STB's don't deliver full bandwidth to your TV.

Toshiba 30HF83 HDTV Monitor
Sony KLV-23M1 LCD HDTV Monitor
legalaliens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #58
bproteau

Quote:
I had 4 cable cards installed in a pair of S3's yesterday. Verizon wouldn't send out the cards, they had to roll somebody out for an install. He'd done only one or two other cable installs, and had never heard of a Tivo that used cablecards. He just handed them over to me and stood back.
Sounds great terramar! I've been waiting for this kind of post. Please update your experiences after a weeks use.

I wanted to verify there are no guide related issues (i.e. You see all the channels you'd expect to see and no issues scheduling recordings or season passes.)

Glad everything went smooth.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #59
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Verizon is here now. The installer wasn't told he needed CableCards, so someone is bringing them out to the house while he's here. He doesn't have a problem with me putting them in the Tivo, but he was trying to sell Verizon's dvr pretty hard.

He's currently working on the side of the house and I'll post more once he's finished.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #60
soulposition

TiVo <3 FiOS

VZ CableCard install is finally done after 10 hours. I'm so happy to have ditched that piece of **** Moto box and have my beloved TiVo back. After only playing with it for a few hours I'm ready to replace the other Moto box with an S3 this weekend.

Turns out that when the installer gets his list of jobs in the morning they don't really read what they have todo. So when my installer saw he had a "C" order he just assumed it was a change order (which technically it was) but didn't know he had to bring CableCards, so of course he had to go get those.

When he got back and we installed them, he ended up talking to a trainee that ended up screwing up the whole deal. This involved me having to have several orders created for my cards. Only to find out after 9 hours that the major problem was that the original DVR was not taken off my account. I have no idea why that would be the problem but once that was removed my cards worked beautifully.

What I love about the TiVo over the Motorola box:

- Menus are faster, like blazingly faster.
- Picture seems clearer (even on SD channels).

What I miss about the Motorola box: Nothing.