TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #121
mikep51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
Here, here mikep51. I wish all cable providers did some training to the new technology floating around. Too bad you are not in the SoCal area. Any plans on relocating? LOL

No relocating for me LOL

However I'm looking forward to the release of the PCI card for CableCard installation in HTPCs.

BTW.
Anyone know if the series 3 is going to be CableCard 2.0 compatible?
mikep51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #122
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep51
However I'm looking forward to the release of the PCI card for CableCard installation in HTPCs.
Not going to happen. CableLabs has given preliminary approval to Windows Vista to support CableCARDs, but ONLY on preconfigured PCs from OEMs which have also be qualified by CableLabs. You'll never be able to just buy a CableCARD PCI adapter at the store and drop it into your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep51
Anyone know if the series 3 is going to be CableCard 2.0 compatible?
Nope. It supports multi-stream cards, but not the bi-directional communication portion. Not that it really matters we wont see deployment for CC2.0 for at least a year, probably two.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #123
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
You'll never be able to just buy a CableCARD PCI adapter at the store and drop it into your PC.
You forgot to add "...and that sucks!" What can one expect from a consortium of cable companies, though, I guess.
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #124
waharris007

Woo Hoo!!!!!

SUCCESS! Man, I have GOT to stop reading so many negative posts before I get first-hand experience with new tech! I was scared to death that this whole thing would fall flat!

However, the installers showed up today (early, no less!). They were two subs, not actual Charter employees. They were both extremely nice, but neither had seen the S3 before, nor did they have ANY knowledge of it at all. I told them that the box took 2 CCs because of the dual tuner, and handed them the instruction sheet Tivo provides. We walked through it together, slowly and surely, and they got both cards in and working perfectly, with absolutely no trouble whatsoever, in about 15 minutes. The younger of the two was excited that it was so easy. I told them (when they had finished) that there were horror stories going on with this install all over the country and congratulated them for being so great at what they do

When they left, one guy said, "Well, it doesn't get any easier than that!"

I'm going back through guided setup now. I just wanted to give you guys the good word. So, if your installers squawk about doing this job, just assure them that Charter cards are working in S3s all over the country now.

So, that's a big flashing GREEN LIGHT for Spring Hill, TN (just south of Nashville).

Woo hoo!!
waharris007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #125
Navarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Not going to happen. CableLabs has given preliminary approval to Windows Vista to support CableCARDs, but ONLY on preconfigured PCs from OEMs which have also be qualified by CableLabs. You'll never be able to just buy a CableCARD PCI adapter at the store and drop it into your PC.

Dan
What about this thing?

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2662&p=2

This is clearly for exactly what's being talked about. THere's even an external laptop type setup. At a bare minimum, the external isn't going to be on pre-built systems only. The PCI, maybe. But i doubt it /hope not

Back on topic..I'm in Madison, WI as well so very interested in results of the installs. I'm (extremely loosely) planning on picking up a series 3 around tax time. I have the moxi now, but its gone thru many many issues. Every time I have to have someone come out, they tell me that there aren't any more moxis in stock. Thankfully, they've always managed to bring the thing back from the brink.

On the splitter thing. I've got a 57 inch hitachi in the living room, and a 32 inch SD in each of the two bedrooms. Currently going thru an amplified splitter. Charter never likes that, but it always works fine. Niether of the rooms have outlets, but I got a letter a LONG time ago from the landlord to let charter go ahead and install an outlet (for $75)

So, I read one post where putting it back on the splitter was ok. Is anyone else doing so?

i've been meaning to call on both the cablecards and the 5mbps internet service they're touting, but never feel like sitting thru that absurd automated idiocy.
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #126
ckoble

SoCal Charter Update

Spoke with Carla again today in the Charter Western Division Office (CA, OR, WA) and relayed to her the conversation with Van (one of the Tech Leads). She said that she was going to find out what the status was and give me a call back soon. I told her that we have at least one Charter customer (in another area) that has been successful and we would be more than happy to provide this information to them to find out if there are any similarities between the systems at all that can be gleaned. So... still waiting! Still lovin the TiVo. Not ready to send it back yet!
ckoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #127
MadScience
I heart TiVo

Burbank - Up And Running!!

Burbank here ... again. The install went pretty smoothly. The process of activating the cards takes a little time (even after the Installer calls the information in) and my channels did trickle in. But after about 10 - 15 minutes all of the channels I'm supposed to get were coming in just fine.

Odd side note: I had configured my S3 to use the HD indoor antenna on the day I got it and even selected the "channels I receive" list. While testing the channels during the CableCARD install nothing below 99 would show up. But I repeated guided setup and selected "Cable & Antenna" this time ... now all channels show up together (local Off-The-Air HD has the channel # and a "-" 1, 2, 3, etc).

This was a different Installer from the guy who came yesterday (see previous post) but both were excited to do their first install on a S3. The entire experience was positive on my end.

<Sigh Of Relief> ... Just in time for the Grey's Anatomy season premiere tonight!
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #128
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Burbank here ... again. The install went pretty smoothly.
I'm glad to hear that--it gives me hope that my Saturday install goes well. UPS was supposed to deliver my S3 today but I guess they didn't feel like coming to my house, so they just reported that I wasn't home. Looks like I get to drive to San Fernando tonight and pick it up.

Since we're using the same Charter office, tell me about your cards. Are they the normal $1.50 a month ones or the magical HD ones that cost $4.50 a month that nobody outside of Charter has ever heard of?
Horrortaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #129
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Burbank here ... again. The install went pretty smoothly.
Music to my ears I have an appt tomorrow morning in the Glendale area...I'll report back how it went.

PS: Please vote here on your experience with Charter:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=317654
Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #130
ThePlungerMan

Wow, the tech just left for the third time and still no good.
When the tech called in and while was talking to his sup. I heard the sup ask, is he a plumber. I know the guy personally. So now I have a direct number, and personal cell. I gave him the names of the cities with successful charter card installs. He told me the head dudes are on it….. But if they were on it before today why weren’t they on it when he showed up. It was the same ol same ol card not working fiasco
This old friend told me how he works from Sun -Thur and will get on it Mon. Great right, no. I’m calling Carla, which he said would get the situation noticed .
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #131
ThePlungerMan

OK called Carla, she said their head tech dude is waiting on Scientific Atlanta head tech dude for some auth thingamajig code, and she is off till Monday, so until then my friends.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #132
octomonkee

Next week it'll be my turn!!! I'm new here. Been a long-time Tivo fanatic, and just received my S3 box from Tivo. Got my Charter appt scheduled for next week, Wednesday (Sept, 27th). Just scheduling the appt was a bit of work because the guy on the phone tried to tell me that Charter doesn't support Tivo. Anyway, he made the appt for me after I told him that the Tivo box is CableLabs certified, etc, and he didn't give me too much grief after that. Crossing my fingers. BTW, I'm in Pasadena, CA, so these So. Cal. issues have me a bit worried.
octomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #133
ThePlungerMan

Expect the worse and hope for the best
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #134
MadScience
I heart TiVo

Burbank -- update

Okay, it wasn't perfect after all (but it's okay now). Many of my channels have been appearing and disappearing. And the odd thing is they weren't the digital channels ... or even the HD channels ... it was the Analog & Extended Basic channels that wouldn't come in.

They're back now but that was annoying. Just guessing but it seems that Restarting the S3 actually caused it to lose the channels for up to an hour. I won't be Restarting it again anytime soon. Fingers crossed the channels stay locked in now.

This is my first time with any kind of cable service (had very minimal channels from DirecTV before). So far I'm kinda nervous.

But just to wrap up on a happy note ... the HD channels look freakin' awesome!!
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #135
waharris007

Mine's been going strong since the cable card install seven hours ago. I've been messing with it almost non-stop. All the channels are working fine, HD quality is awesome, and all the little bells and whistles are problem-free. I put all my season passes in (did some online, some with the remote), and everything looks solid. I already packed up the dreaded Charter Moto Moxi box. If all goes well for the next few days, that doorstop is out of my life forever!

Keep at it, guys! Once it is up, the S3 is what your HDTV has been waiting for.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #136
cotton168

Oooooo....All your success stories makes me excited about tomorrow morning's install. I absolutely cannot wait. Thanks to everyone for giving us the updates on a constant basis. If things don't go well, then I guess I too will be giving Carla a call.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #137
bsather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsather
Well Charter is coming back tomorrow with an actual Charter tech with cable card knowledge...supposedly.....and extra cards. I hope they can get it working, the S3 blows the Moxi away.
Update....a Charter technician called me at home and was very friendly and knowledgeable. Was not aware of the Tivo S3, but promised he would do everything he could to get it right. That is good news indeed.
bsather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #138
Tippy

Birmingham, AL - Charter

The Charter guys just left. They sucessfully inserted two cable cards. It took about an hour and wasn't without some problems (the first card wasn't in their system). But, it appears that everything is working great. Can't wait to get back home tonight to play with it and schedule some HD recordings.
TiVo Series 2 - Upgraded to 250GB
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #139
Largeleon

Success.
Install took 30 minutes.
Installer had not seen a box, but stated that cablecard installs are a pain.

He notated both card serial numbers, we found the tivo screen with the info that he would need to get authenticated and then he called his contact at Charter.

The first person did not do something correctly. He contacted another person, who did something after checking the numbers and then had us reinsert both cards.

After a few minutes, all was fine.

I think the source of everyone's problems would be typos or lack of experience of the person who answers the phone at Charter's end to help the installer.

I am so happy to be taking back my moxi next week. I'm going to hold on to it for a week or so. Georgia has a long waiting lists for Moxi's and I'd hate to send it back without knowing if the tivo will be problematic.
Largeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #140
cotton168

Hey Largeleon, glad that your S3 is now up and running. I have a story of my own as well. My installer came in today at around 9:30 and I immediately handed him the install sheet that Tivo provided. He kind of took a look at it, but set it aside and I was the one basically telling which one to hook up first. We were having problems with the setup on his end and it took over an hour to get it corrected. Still do not have HBO channels so I might have to schedule another set up with 2 more different cards. We'll see how that goes.

The guy never installed a Tivo before but he did tell me that he hated the cable cards. I guess this install just proved his point, but I'll be calling Charter again to have another installer come out with 2 more (hopefully 4 more cards). Wish me luck and good luck to all of you who have yet to have Charter install.

BTW, one question that I really don't want to post on a brand new thread: Now that I have CCs to watch local channels, do I take out the coax cable that is plugged into Cable In or do I leave that plugged in?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #141
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waharris007
SUCCESS! Man, I have GOT to stop reading so many negative posts before I get first-hand experience with new tech! I was scared to death that this whole thing would fall flat!

However, the installers showed up today (early, no less!). They were two subs, not actual Charter employees. They were both extremely nice, but neither had seen the S3 before, nor did they have ANY knowledge of it at all. I told them that the box took 2 CCs because of the dual tuner, and handed them the instruction sheet Tivo provides. We walked through it together, slowly and surely, and they got both cards in and working perfectly, with absolutely no trouble whatsoever, in about 15 minutes. The younger of the two was excited that it was so easy. I told them (when they had finished) that there were horror stories going on with this install all over the country and congratulated them for being so great at what they do

When they left, one guy said, "Well, it doesn't get any easier than that!"

I'm going back through guided setup now. I just wanted to give you guys the good word. So, if your installers squawk about doing this job, just assure them that Charter cards are working in S3s all over the country now.

So, that's a big flashing GREEN LIGHT for Spring Hill, TN (just south of Nashville).

Woo hoo!!
Excuse me sir or sirette, this is a Charter series 3 and problems thread, Not a charter series 3 and success thread. Go away.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #142
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlungerMan
Excuse me sir or sirette, this is a Charter series 3 and problems thread, Not a charter series 3 and success thread. Go away.
Here, I think you dropped this: ""

Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #143
cotton168

LOL, at least he had no problems with the installation!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #144
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
Here, I think you dropped this: ""

Very well done, Your right I did,,,,, was just funnin, was waiting to see if it could have been read by him as funny, without the obvious smiley. Right on though.
A little break form the real action at hand.

Oh please oh please where’s my ‘good’ cable cards? ,,,, oh where oh where could they be?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #145
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

Glendale, CA here.

Installer just left. The only problem we had was that after installing the first (and later the second) card, and select TEST CHANNELS, only 1 or 2 channels were appearing.

The guy said that this is because both cards need to be in there at first, and I patiently explained that both cards are only required to get dual tuner functionality.

Anyways, it turns out that it was no big deal. After completing guided setup, *all* channels work HBO-HD, Discovery-HD et all.

TiVo, I was really miffed with you, but now that it's all up and running I'm happy again, and can forget being part of the 200 who got severly screwed at shipping Come here you big furry TV!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #146
tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike
What course of action do you think I should take if I called charter (Madison, WI) and they told me they don't have cable cards yet? I was shocked to hear this.

-Mike

I also live in Madison, WI. Got my Series3 today and called Charter about the CableCARDs (before I had read this thread). They told me Charter provides CableCARDs only for digital TVs and not for the TiVo. I asked, "do they not work in the TiVo?" Answer: "<pause> We only provide CableCARDs for digital TVs". Thank you very much.

Now I sent a message to the Charter support team on their homepage.

I found an interesting link on TiVo vs. Charter (unfortunately the forum doesn't let me post it). Search with Google for TiVo Charter CableCARD. It's the first hit.
tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #147
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Huh. I simply called Charter and said "I need to schedule an install for two CableCARDs." Once the tech is out here, is he REALLY gonna refuse to install the cards and see if they work? Doubtful... but I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

ETA: here's that link for you http://iww.pvrwire.com/2006/09/20/ti...the-cablecard/
Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #148
waharris007

[quote=ThePlungerMan]Very well done, Your right I did,,,,, was just funnin, was waiting to see if it could have been read by him as funny, without the obvious smiley. Right on though.
A little break form the real action at hand.
/QUOTE]

Yup. I always assume everyone is sarcastic until they prove otherwise. Or until they start weeping.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #149
rmracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW
I just checked with my CT Charter office about all this HD stuff. They informed that starting in CT next month or shortly thereafter they will introduce the Scientific Atlanta 8300 MR. It will allow one HD Server in a home to serve up to THREE other HD TV's from a single Hard Drive. Also, they said the SA software would be updated SUBSTANTIALLY.

I am still sitting here with a TiVo S2 having a Lifetime Subscription. I will now wait to try the SA 8300 MR first before making my decision on the S3 upgrade. They said the cost would only be one or two dollars per month more for a MR lease. I am presently paying $ 11.99 for the SA 8300 HD lease. This setup will be able to access VOD, PPV AND XOD, which is something new and I am not sure what it is.

I presently have one Sony 32" HD TV, have another on order and have one other 32" SD TV which I have not decided to upgrade to HD yet.

However, since this is all NEW, there could be bugs here just like with the S3. I love new technology and its just a question now of whose bugs I will endure.

The link to the new SA 8300 MR is:

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/con...s/8300HDMR.htm

This thread is about the the Tivo Series 3 and Charter. I tried to ignore it the first 20 times, but I have to say something at this point. I don't think anybody gives a rats a$$ about your Scientific Atlanta DVR, but if you insist on contiunually talking about it, go to a forum for that DVR (wherever it might be). It's getting difficult to wade through your pointless posts.
rmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #150
TK421

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
I also live in Madison, WI. Got my Series3 today and called Charter about the CableCARDs (before I had read this thread). They told me Charter provides CableCARDs only for digital TVs and not for the TiVo. I asked, "do they not work in the TiVo?" Answer: "<pause> We only provide CableCARDs for digital TVs". Thank you very much.

Now I sent a message to the Charter support team on their homepage.

I found an interesting link on TiVo vs. Charter (unfortunately the forum doesn't let me post it). Search with Google for TiVo Charter CableCARD. It's the first hit.
Oh man, that isn't what I wanted to hear...oh well, I'm probably not ordering for a couple more weeks- hopefully you'll get the techs all trained up and mine will go smoothly!
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote