Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #211
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu
Hi,

Can you transfer the HD recordings from the new TIVO - 3 onto an external hard drive or Computer in the original 1080i format?

I am currently using the TWC 8300HD DVR and you cannot transfer the recordings onto a D-VHS recorder with copy-protection chip or Computer. You can connect an external eSATA drive to the 8300HD DVR but that process is very unpredictable.

Thanks.

Paul
Not yet.... Tivo is allegedly working on it and needs Cablelabs blessing on the implementation.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #212
paulchiu
Paul Chiu

What connection to a computer does the TIVO-3 HD have currently?

1394 firewire?
RS232?
USB2?
HDMI?
DVI?

How did the old TIVOs transfer analog content to the PC?

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Not yet.... Tivo is allegedly working on it and needs Cablelabs blessing on the implementation.

paulchiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #213
Diacritical

I order my S3 on Sunday (2nd day air) and was very surprised to receive it today. There was no e-mail notice that it had shipped. Now the TimeWarner (TWC, NY, Brooklyn) journey begins.

So far,I am waiting a call back from LaToya. She has been quite professional and helpful, but my request is just bizarre enough to cause their order fulfillment system to choke. I currently have two digital boxes -- one HD and one not. I am replacing the one HD box with two CableCARDs, but their ordering system will only let me get two cable cards if I replace both boxes.

I am just glad I finally got to her. The first customer support rep told me "We cannot provide CableCARDs in your area." My astonished "you have got to be kidding... please get me a supervisor" response was greeted with a "please hold" followed in two minutes by a "Let me transfer you" and then the original automated answering system.

The second person (after answering all the automated questions precisely the same way) was much more savvy. When I told her I needed two cable cards, she immediately said "Is this for your Tivo?" I had to give her the model number (they take the actual TCD number just fine now), but that was all.

She also thought it was ridiculous to send out a truck for two cards that only require a phone call to activate, but that those were the rules they had to go by (this may be a union issue in this area, BTW).

Right now, I wait for the call back... but my unit should be activated and I should be seeing OTA HD by 6:00PM EDT or so this evening (even if it takes a week or so to get the cards).
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #214
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu
What connection to a computer does the TIVO-3 HD have currently?

1394 firewire?
RS232?
USB2?
HDMI?
DVI?

How did the old TIVOs transfer analog content to the PC?

Thanks,

Paul
Ethernet. TTG transferred .tivo files over the ethernet.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #215
pmiranda

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacritical
She also thought it was ridiculous to send out a truck for two cards that only require a phone call to activate, but that those were the rules they had to go by (this may be a union issue in this area, BTW).
Sadly, it's TW's idea of customer service to charge you for yet another thing you don't need.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #216
Raddock

TW Houston

I had no problems getting two cards, just walked into my local TW office and asked for them. I tried my setup this morning with Time Warner Houston. I got the Tivo set up, put in the first card, and gave them a call to activate it.

The guy answers the phone, and I say I want to activate two cards. He asks me if they're for two tv's or the new Tivo. I say the new Tivo. He then asks me to place in both cards at the same time. Now, I've read eveywhere that you have to only do one card, the Tivo instructions, the Tivo website, etc. I place in the second card and immediately get an error 162-1 for the second card. He asks me to try it again, and I get the same error. He then tells me the card is bad and i have get another one.

So, I'm not sure if the card is bad or if we're doing the setup wrong. He insists that both cards have to be activated at the same time with the system they use. And I can only guess he's right since he specifically asked me if it was one of the new dual tuner Tivos.

Anyone experience this?
Raddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #217
LostInAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
ok i am setting up cable cards with TW austin soon.

most people are saying they don't get premium HD channels and 1 person say they do. for those of you with TW austin, can you please post what cable package you have (std or digital), if you subscribe to HD tier package (espn, inhd, etc) and if you subscribe to premium channel package (hbo, sho, cinemax etc). btw, tnt HD, discoveryHD are NOT premium HD channels. i get them on my digital box w/o paying for HD tier. also can you post if you don't get a certain channel in the 1500-1600 range. thanks.
From my latest invoice:
Digital, HD Premium Tier, Movie Pak, HD HBO, Sports Pak

I'm receiving all the HD premium channels I subscribe to. I did notice a problem picking up some of the SD HBO West feeds (couldn't tune channels 708-712, but could tune 713). So maybe some of those channels are SDV? Or maybe it just depends on which node you're connected to?
LostInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #218
scottjima

Wanted to update everyone on the TW CC issue in the Frisco/The Colony/Allen area...

After probably 15+ different tech support calls, transfers to other departments, you name it... I ended up with a tech visit scheduled for this morning. The TW tech shows up (an actual TW, not contractor) and says he knows what the problem is right off the bat. Apparently, there are (2) field techs and one dispatch tech who actually know what a CC is and how to set it up.

Turns out, all (4) CC were on my account, but the programming was only "applied" to my original two cards. He talked to the dispatch tech and within 2 minutes the Tivo was working off of both cards.

So simple, yet so difficult.....

Good luck to everybody else!
scottjima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #219
Tapioca Dextrin

TW Austin

Got my S3 on Tuesday and the cable guy turned up at 2 o'clock on Thursday. Without any CableCards

He came back after a couple of hours and everything went fine. Everything worked until he left around 6:30, channels 1-99 and the 700s disappeared.

Time to call TW.

While I was on the inevitable hold, the two other cable boxes in the house stopped working.

We finally got hold hold of a human being who reset the cable boxes and then out me on hold again to talk to the Tech Department.

Round about 7:30, I managed to talk with a Tech person. (actually, TW Austin have a web chat thingy that I was also talking to and was quicker than a live person)

They reset the CableCards (while I was recording The Office, but nevermind) and after around an hour, my channels gradually reappeared and as of Friday morning, everything is looking stable.
Tapioca Dextrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #220
mlh78750

TW Austin

Had an install yesterday for my S3. The first card had a date from 2006. It worked but I am missing 1501 and ESPNHD DHD etc. I see them for 2 seconds and then I get the "you must call to activate" screen. So I know the card can decode the channels, it appears to be a auth issue. The second card had a manuf date of 2005 and went into the "updating firmware" mode. I got the supervisor for the contractor to come out to my house and take a look. He has a good idea what needs to be done at this point and feels I need a new card. The bad news is that TWC Austin is out of cards. He tried to go to TWC Austin and pick up a few since he has a few Tivo S3 installs pending.

I will update with more info as I go thorugh the steps to get this working.
mlh78750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #221
Spastic

TW Austin

Another Time Warner Austin customer here. I originally had an install set for Wednesday, but due to being part of the "Lucky 200" I didn't get my Tivo in time. I had my appointment rescheduled for today, between 8-12. I sit around the house for those 4 hours, waiting for the guy to show up or a call. Just a few minutes to 12, I finally get a call from the installer telling me that they're out of CableCards. I asked him why I hadn't been told about this earlier, since I just wasted half a workday for nothing. He didn't have any answer, except to say that someone would call me when they get more cards, to schedule another appointment.

Needless to say, I'm really unhappy again. First the shipping delays, now this. This whole experience has really put a damper on the whole new Tivo experience. BTW, can anyone give me a link to the page on TW's website where it says your install is free if they're late? I plan to take them up on that in this case (assuming I didn't imagine that).
Spastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #222
jeffrypennock

My signal has been stable for two days now. Everything looks great and works great!!! Fingers crossed it stays that way.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #223
jeffrypennock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddock
I had no problems getting two cards, just walked into my local TW office and asked for them. I tried my setup this morning with Time Warner Houston. I got the Tivo set up, put in the first card, and gave them a call to activate it.

The guy answers the phone, and I say I want to activate two cards. He asks me if they're for two tv's or the new Tivo. I say the new Tivo. He then asks me to place in both cards at the same time. Now, I've read eveywhere that you have to only do one card, the Tivo instructions, the Tivo website, etc. I place in the second card and immediately get an error 162-1 for the second card. He asks me to try it again, and I get the same error. He then tells me the card is bad and i have get another one.

So, I'm not sure if the card is bad or if we're doing the setup wrong. He insists that both cards have to be activated at the same time with the system they use. And I can only guess he's right since he specifically asked me if it was one of the new dual tuner Tivos.

Anyone experience this?
Cycling through cards to get two that worked, I've done the activation game a few times. I've tried inserting them both and then activating and I've tried activating card 1 then inserting card 2 and activating it. I couldn't tell a difference in outcome or the way things went. I think he's right, the card is bad, not the card insertion sequence.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #224
SCSIRAID

Well, TWC has been here for 2.5 hours... one cablecard is working fine. the other one is hanging up with

PowerKey Status: Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs

fun fun fun......
Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #225
Eskimo Pie

Thats what happened with me... They ended up taking the bad card with them and even though I kept the 'good' card I have it unplugged because having just 1 card apparently limits you to only being able to use one tuner... I get all the locals over OTA so it's not a huge deal waiting...
Eskimo Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #226
skweaz

TimeWarner SW Austin

Installer left about an hour ago, I actually ended up installing the cards myself while he installed a new drop in another room.
First card, dated 2004: took awhile for the MMI screen to come up but it did. He called in that card and it tested ok.
Second card, dated 2006: MMI came up right away and I had him call that one in. No channels came up but he said it can take some time. So I reran guided setup (I was using analog only since I got the unit last Friday) and once that was comepleted both cards worked.
I am missing some premium channels, but I need to double check with TW to make sure they got the upgrade order correct. I am getting all locals and was getting TNTHD and UniversalHD, but I checked before I came back to work and they were gone.
Checking with support now...
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #227
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

TW AUSTIN

i have my install next week. my bill drops 2 dollars.

i wanted to drop to std and add HD tier. they said if i did that, I would no longer get any HD channels (1500 ones) and only get HD tier channels (inhd, universal etc) and that if I wanted local HD and tnt, discovery that I HAD to retain my digital cable. Is that correct?

I would ideally want std +hd tier and retain all the local HDs and TNT and Discovery HD

Last edited by ingenue007 : 09-23-2006 at 05:45 PM.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #228
freiz

TWA - Missing 1501, TNT, DSC, and premiums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skweaz
I am missing some premium channels, but I need to double check with TW to make sure they got the upgrade order correct. I am getting all locals and was getting TNTHD and UniversalHD, but I checked before I came back to work and they were gone.
Just got done with a 3 hour, second TWA visit. I had the exact problem you have with 1501 and other free HD channels missing (and my HBOs). It's an auth problem. When the first guy set me up, he called the person sitting in the control room and gave her my card IDs.

Note I didn't say he gave her my Tivo ID. And, she didn't *ever* ask for the Tivo HOST ID. Without the Tivo Host ID the cards don't marry with the Tivo and 1501, DSC, TNT, and premiums won't be authorized.

I think the channel 1501 auth error is the giveaway and several other people in Austin have had this problem as well. The key is you need to get to someone and explain that your cable cards were never assigned to your Tivo host ID, have them do that, re-hit your cards, and all will be fine. It's apparently not something that is obvious to the field people or CSRs as I have had 2 techs and 3 CSRs attempt to unpair, re-pair, troubleshoot, pray, etc. and no one ever noticed it. It wasn't until the guy out today called his last resort person that she requested both the Tivo host ID *and* the two cable card IDs. Once she had that, she hit my cards and in a few minutes I was watching 1501, HBO, etc.

I now have all my channels and the Tivo is working fine. Props to my TWA tech (Patrick) that came out today. He is tops!

On a related note - here are the channels that I have confirmed to be SDV and missing with cable card use:

111 - Boomerang
28x - shopping channels (bleh)
west coast premiums

I will work on a more concise list later... As to 232 - National Geo, I was receiving it just fine a few hours ago. It is supposed to be SDV... I might check diag page 5 on my SA8300 and see if it is in the SDV range (417 - 447 as I recall)

The tech out today also replaced my living room cable run and cleared some interference on channel 7, Spike, and a few other channels. As I noted, he was excellent. The best TWA experience I have ever had and definitely needed after the last day and a half of this cable card fiasco.

In closing,

MAKE SURE THE PERSON INSTALLING AND AUTHORIZING YOUR CABLE CARDS PROVIDES THE TIVO HOST ID TO THE PERSON AT HQ. THEY WON'T NECESSARILY ASK FOR IT.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #229
eisenb11

Bah... f'ing retarded SOBs!

I set my CC install with TWC on Tues when the S3 was released. Called again on Sat to confirm and all was ok.

Come today and the asshats don't show up. End up wasting 3 hours with CS who tells me to call back every 30 min to figure out wtf is going on.

Turns out they screwed everything up and now I'm recheduled tomorrow for some time between 10am and 7pm.

How is it that no matter where you are in the country, the cable companies seem to always hire the most incompetant dumb-asses to work for them?

I took today off from work for this appointment, then had to resched plans to tomorrow because they were running late but promised that someone would show up today one way or another... now I've got to cancel plans for tomorrow.

TWC I hate you! You can't see me, but guess which finger I'm holding up at you!

To use a Farkasm (fark.com) here: Die in a fire!
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #230
freiz

Big Grin My bill dropped $9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
i have my install next week. my bill drops 2 dollars.
My bill dropped $9, but I couldn't see saving $, so I added HBO for $9.95. Now I'm into them for another buck or so...

See cable cards are a win-win! You get to redeploy that pile of crud known as the SA8300HD, I get a Tivo, and TWA gets another crisp one dollar bill from me each and every month!

Now I just need another TB of space and I will be OK.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #231
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
Turns out they screwed everything up and now I'm recheduled tomorrow for some time between 10am and 7pm.
A NINE hour window??
What state are you in? Some states require them to set up a certain (smaller) window. I think California is a 4 or 5 hour window, which the cable companies try to slide by and give you larger windows, until you call them on it.

Check out info for you state, or even city. Some cities (franchising authorities) have laws regarding this topic.

Also check in to credits, refunds, etc. for missed appoitments!

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #232
Gene S

Quote:

Anyone experience this?
It goes against what the Tivo insert says to do, but I had my installer call them in at both the same time. I told him it seemed stupid to make 2 separate calls.

But we did insert the cards one at a time. He input card 1, then we waited for the MMI screen to pop up. It took about 3 minutes for that to happen. After that he put in the second card and waited for the MMI screen again. Once that screen came up he called in and activated both cards at the same time.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #233
mlh78750

Success with two cards on TWC Austin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh78750
Had an install yesterday for my S3. The first card had a date from 2006. It worked but I am missing 1501 and ESPNHD DHD etc. I see them for 2 seconds and then I get the "you must call to activate" screen. So I know the card can decode the channels, it appears to be a auth issue. The second card had a manuf date of 2005 and went into the "updating firmware" mode. I got the supervisor for the contractor to come out to my house and take a look. He has a good idea what needs to be done at this point and feels I need a new card. The bad news is that TWC Austin is out of cards. He tried to go to TWC Austin and pick up a few since he has a few Tivo S3 installs pending.

I will update with more info as I go thorugh the steps to get this working.
UPDATE! I had a great Tech named Ted come by and fix everything. We installed the cards one at a time and authorize and fully test the one card before moving on to the next. I sat with him through it all. The first CC would not authorize and had the 1501 DISCHD etc problem. Once we got the card to show that it was auth'ed everything comes in just fine including all of the HD Tier. I do not have HBO Showtime etc so I can't say about that. Some of the SV channels are working and some are showing other channels and some just don't work. For instance 101 shows channel 2 on my box. Anyway, we installed both cards and all the channels are working on the test channels dialog. Tivo is doing the service setup thing right now and I think tomorrow I will return the TWC DVR.
mlh78750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #234
SCSIRAID

Thumbs up Time Warner Raleigh Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Well, TWC has been here for 2.5 hours... one cablecard is working fine. the other one is hanging up with

PowerKey Status: Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs

fun fun fun......
All is well now.... Took 4.5 hours and 4 cablecards but all is now up and running. HD Heaven.... Now to enter alllllllll those season passes....

TWC installer worked very hard and was determined to get it working.

Im a happy camper. Good job TWC Raleigh.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 09-23-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #235
Diacritical

Finally got my appointment for one week from today -- but after getting this thing activated and getting my first look at OTA HD, I'm not so sure I need HD from the cable company. I've been watching HD on TWC/NYC for years now and I've never had HD look this good -- and that from a small UHF loop behind the TV.

I have to say -- recording two shows in HD with all the TiVo feature is just like rediscovering HD and TiVo at the same time. This reception makes the cable version look a little sick.

--
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #236
infinitespecter

I got tired of watching OTA and wanted to setup some Season Passes, so I called Comcast/TWC and asked if I could just swap the card in my Sony DVR into the S3. Got a yes, and it worked perfectly. Kind of annoying that it won't run in an asymmetric mode, but this will do until next week when they bring another card.
infinitespecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #237
BillP Studios
Creator of WinPatrol

Thumbs up Time Warner Albany Success

TW cable came today and my Series3 is working like it should.
All channels are up and running with the exemption of the ones they recently removed.
See... Time Warner Battles Against Cable Cards

Both cards with dated 2006 and were immediately recognized.
The cable guys called in the host ids.
When we did the "Test Channels", the 2nd cable card did not display any digital channels. The HD def local channels were ok but none of the other or premiums.

Rebooted TiVo, and made the cable guys wait through guide setup which was the only way to get any channels to come up.

The CableCARD menu -> Test Channels still failed with cable card 2 on digital channels.

However, when I went to live TV and checked everything worked fine! I was able to start recording two HD channels at one time. YAY!
The right side of the Display banner also lets you switch between cards.
Tip: Live TV button also lets you swap which tuner you're on.

So, even if the channel test fails, doesn't necessarily mean its a bad card.

Good Luck to all,
Bill Pytlovany

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BillP Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #238
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
A NINE hour window??
What state are you in? Some states require them to set up a certain (smaller) window. I think California is a 4 or 5 hour window, which the cable companies try to slide by and give you larger windows, until you call them on it.

Check out info for you state, or even city. Some cities (franchising authorities) have laws regarding this topic.

Also check in to credits, refunds, etc. for missed appoitments!
Hehe, I'm a little south of you in Redondo Beach.

I had a 2 hour window today (10-12) but it didn't do me much good since they didn't bother to show up. After that they kept promising they'd send some other dude here until about 3:00 when they said it's a no-go until tomorrow.

Now I'm in the system for 10-7 tomorrow, but they say the guy should be here in the morning... not that their word is worth anything.

I was told to bug them about refunds/free-months after the install.
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #239
Raddock

Quote:

Anyone experience this?
UPDATE: I came home from work during lunch today, plugged in a replacement card so both cards are in the slots now. I phoned the activation people, and gave them all the card info they requested, the first card worked right away, and I had all HD channels, the second card didn't work immediately. I went ahead and told the Tivo to download channel data, and I left to go back to work, when I got home this evening, the Tivo was ready to go, both tuners worked. Sweet! Aside from having to get 1 new card, this was fairly painless for me.
Raddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:14 AM   #240
cit1991

TW Houston Activation Goes Great

I picked up the S3 at Fry's yesterday afternoon. Since I read all the stuff on here, I knew what to expect, what to do, and what not to do.

There was a TW store right up the freeway from the Fry's. I stopped there with the new S3 in the back seat. They were out of CableCards. I told the lady I needed two. She took my number and said she would call me the next day after they processed their shipment (late morning). I was worrried that would be the end.

Today, she called me at about 10:30am. She had two cards for me, and I could come get them. I was there about a half hour later. Two brand new cards in blue plastic cases (Motorola) were waiting for me, along with an instruction sheet for setting them up. They don't have dual stream cards.

I went home and set the unit up. Then after getting it online, and updated, I put both cards in. Then I called the special number TW Houston had set up for activating them. A lady answered immediately. They asked me for all the info on one of the card setup screens...for one card. Then she processed it, or sent it to dispatch, as she said. We then did the second card the same way. She asked me to test some certain channels, and they worked.

She said the others (pay channels, and a few HD's) would be working within 24 hours, and to call that number back if they were not. 4 hours later, all the channels that were supposed to work, were working, including all the pay channels I get and their HD's.

I set up my season passes, and later in the afternoon, it was recording 2 shows at once, one in HD...just perfectly.

I have to say TW Houston really had its act together. No BS about TiVo, no long phone calls, no tech visit, just pickup, plug in, and activate.

If you want to get cards, call them to make sure they are in stock. The lady at the store said they go fast when they get them.
cit1991 is offline   Reply With Quote