TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #301
dlstrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2
Same here the first time, that they reused to install them, using the local Comcast number. Hung up on them. Then went to the local office. Cards are free, but service to each card is $9.95 a month. I left without scheduling an appointment. Then called 800-COMCAST. Different story. Cards are free, and after the rep looked at my account and saw that I pay for HD on 3 outlets, the cards appear to be free, except for a $9.95 per card one-time install fee. I set up a Monday install. We'll see.
Please post on how yours goes. They are coming for my install next Friday.
Series 3
Wireless G Network
dlstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #302
jrog

Comcast came and went in about 30 minutes. They took the old cable cards I had for my two Sony DHG-HDD500s and just put them in the new tivo, called Comcast, gave them the info, and now I'm up and running.

The guy had never even seen this box, most haven't, I'm sure, but it was easy enough. Now I'm enjoying my Tivo in all it's glory. Thank you Tivo, I ... I love you man.

Of course, working better than the Sony DVR wouldn't be hard, but it's nice finally having a replacement.

-jrog
jrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #303
singletb

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletb
Wow, my experience with upgrading to a Series 3 has been amazing so far. I will share my experience with TiVo / Comcast here.

First off, after the initial announcement of the Series 3, I hemed and hawed about ordering due to price. Finally, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered on this Tuesday (9/19). I ordered with standard shipping, expeciting it to be 2+ weeks before I actually saw the unit. In the meantime, I called Comcast to see what the status of CableCards were. They informed me over the phone that I could pick a couple up at their Chicago north side office or have a tech come to my place and install them. They did not mention anything at all about price.

Anyway, I am sitting at work, and a big box shows up for me. To my surprise, it is my new TiVo. I am still dumbfounded by how it got here so quickly, but I won't complain. Anyway, that prompted me to stop by the Comcast office over lunch time. I showed up and asked for cable cards. Initially the lady said only a tech could install them and I would set-up an appointment. I acted surprised and told her that over the phone they said that I could pick the cards up. I didn't raise my voice or get bent out of shape, and was ready to turn around and leave when she said, "hold on." Well, she dissapeared for a few minutes and told me that a tech was setting up the cards for me. Another 10 minutes go by, and she returns with the two cards for me. No charges, no questions asked. She told me that they have been programmed and should work from the get-go. Anyway, I haven't been home yet to set things up, but this all couldn't have gone any more smoothly so far. It's nice to see that my easy-going personality with the service people has finally paid off!

Now, my only problem is that there is a lot of TV that I want to watch tonight. That makes a big conondrum on wether to install the new unit or watch the shows. I can't really do both.

Well, things ended up going pretty well last night. No, the cards weren't ready to go as soon as I popped them in. I called Comcast customer service, who in-turn put me in contact with their CableCard expert. He was awesome, and seemed to actually know what he was doing. Anyway, it took a few re-boots, but things eventually worked. The guy even gave me their office number, and told me to call if I ever had a problem and leave a message. It is in the Chicagoland area, so if anyone wants the number, just e-mail me at brian.w.singleton@gmail.com.
singletb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #304
amjustice
FINALY HD w/Series3

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletb
Well, things ended up going pretty well last night. No, the cards weren't ready to go as soon as I popped them in. I called Comcast customer service, who in-turn put me in contact with their CableCard expert. He was awesome, and seemed to actually know what he was doing. Anyway, it took a few re-boots, but things eventually worked. The guy even gave me their office number, and told me to call if I ever had a problem and leave a message. It is in the Chicagoland area, so if anyone wants the number, just e-mail me at brian.w.singleton@gmail.com.
Thats awesome, good to hear they have a few people that know what they are talking about. My install apt is today, so we will see how well things go. I saw some Comcast guys walking into my Apartment yesterday and tried to get them to come give me some cable cards, but they wouldnt, I guess i have to wait until between 1-5 today, can't wait to get things going though.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #305
singletb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice
Thats awesome, good to hear they have a few people that know what they are talking about. My install apt is today, so we will see how well things go. I saw some Comcast guys walking into my Apartment yesterday and tried to get them to come give me some cable cards, but they wouldnt, I guess i have to wait until between 1-5 today, can't wait to get things going though.

Yeah, I picked up my cards at the North Avenue office yesterday afternoon. They told me they would work from the get-go, but I was skeptical. Everyone I talked to on the phone last night was phenomenal though. I guess that is sort-of luck of the draw though.
singletb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #306
Bud Green

Comcast corporate headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic
For those of you not getting satisfaction from Comcast, call one of the executive assistants at their corporate headquarters. It's a long distance number, but well worth it. 215-665-1700

When the contractor didn't bring CableCards, I was told it would be Monday before I could get an appointment. One call to their corporate headquarters and someone is coming tomorrow morning at 8 am.
I tried unsuccessfully for a week to schedule the installation of 2 cablecards. I talked to numerous sales reps, two supervisors, and even had a Tivo rep on the phone for one of the calls, but all I ever got was misinformation and unfulfilled promises to call me back. I called the corporate number above and the problem was resolved within a couple of hours. I now have an appointment for Monday morning. Thank you geekmedic!
Bud Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #307
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I wonder how many calls the corporate office will receive since I posted the number?

Nothing like friends in low places!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #308
wackymann

Made my appointment...

So I ordered my S3 2 days ago, and called Comcast yesterday to set up the cable card install. I have an appointment for October 2nd. Here are the fees they quoted me:

Install, card #1: $15.65
Install, card #2: $14.40
Monthly fees: $2.75 each

I told the CSR that I needed 2 cards for the new Tivo, and she just said OK and quoted me the prices above. She also warned me about the lack of program guides and On-Demand content.

Note that I plan on keeping my Comcast DVR (3412) for now. I figure it can't hurt to have 4 tuners while I'm testing out the new setup! And it's always nice to have a backup for my favorite shows.

I'll report back on 10/2 with how things went.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #309
doctord

Success Finally!

I previously posted my failed attempts to get a second working Cable Card (I already had a working one "State = Subscribed" that I transferred from my TV). Here is a recap:

1. Cable guy installs card #2, screens come up on TiVo as expected, he calls home but can't get it to work, doesn't have time to troubleshoot it and tells my wife that his supervisor will have to deal with it. (Only brought one card)

2. Second visit by different guy (same day) with a second cable card. Spends his time asking my wife why we want the TiVo when their box does the same thing. Says they aren't supposed to install cards in anything but TV, but installs second card anyway, calls for authorization, says it went through. Unfortunately, my wife can't remember how to get back to the Cable Card screens to check it so he leaves. (Note major clue that it didn't work is no Error 161-4.)

3. When I get home, the TiVo wants to rerun guided setup. When finished, I now have a dual tuner unit, but second cable card does not decrypt channels. Analog, OTA, and in-the-clear digital work, so I'm getting closer.Card State = CA Disabled

4. Call #1 to Comcast: CSR has to be convinced to even send another hit to the card. He doesn't want to deal with it, he wants to make a appointment for another visit. Card State = CA Disabled

5. Call #2: CSR is interested in helping, but after trying a couple of things on his end result in no change, he suggests I make an appointment for next week. Card State = CA Disabled

6. Call #3: Helpful CSR that wants to get it working. He says they are not busy. Calls in his supervisor and although they successfully pair the card to the unit, it still doesn't decrypt correctly. I spend over 45 minutes on the phone with them until they run out of ideas. Card settings have changed. Card State = Unknown

7. The next morning nothing has changed on the card (State = Unknown). I think that maybe I would have better luck getting the card working in the TV. I transfer Card #2 to my TV and check the conditional access screen. State = CA Disabled
Since I know they had paired this card to the TiVo, I change my mind and put it back in slot #2 of the TiVo and call one last time and figure I'll schedule an appointment if it doesn't work. By putting the card in the TV, I believe it was totally reset. State is back to CA Disabled and pairing is gone (Host validation is back to "Unknown" and Copy Protection Key is back to "Disabled".

8. Call #4: Young sounding female CSR. I tell her no one has been able to successfully authorize the card and ask if there is a local card expect in the house. She asks for the last 4 digits of the card serial number (note this is off of the card, not the TiVo screen. I assume this is so she knows which one to work on.)
She tells me that she has a phone number written down somewhere for cable card troubleshooting and she will try and find it for me. Instead she finds a step by step trouble shooting guide for cable cards and starts reading.
Her: take card out of TV
Me: ok (I'm thinking yeah right, it's not in my TV)
Her: are you still getting analog stations
Me: yeah (I know those work)
Her: put card back in TV
Me: ok (It's already in my TiVo)
Her: talking to herself "send re-hit to card"
Her: Is it working?
Me: Hold on here, I now have error 161-4 (I know this is a good thing). Let me try the test channels. Test channels show "No Channels Available". Error comes on screen "No signal on Cable In". I'm starting to wonder if we went forward or backward. Then, amazingly IT"S WORKING! Card state = Authorized.
Me: It works. You're a genius.
Her: This is the first cable card I've done.

Success!

I'm not sure if the reset of the card by installing it in my TV helped or not, but I thought I would give you a play by play in hopes that it helps someone else.

At this point, neither of my cards are paired to the TiVo. They have called me a couple of times over the past week telling me that I need to call them to get that done before they do a software update next month. I just wanted to wait until I had the TiVo working before I went there.

Bottomline, if it doesn't work the first time you call, I would tell the CSR to pull out the manual and follow the troubleshooting proceedure that they have.

BTW: They just added TNT-HD to the lineup last night in the Chico area. It appears that it is going to rplace iNHD2 though.
doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #310
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebridge
the sheet of paper with my channel list shows an INHD2 channel, but i don't seem to receive it, and online listings don't show it either, did they remove it since they printed that list? because i remember getting it on my comcast HD box...
I'm pretty sure INHD2 shut down around the end of August.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #311
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Not dead yet.

It's still active on my system. (Comcast near Phila)

http://www.inhd.com/networkSchedule/...kSchedules.jsp

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #312
robus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctord
Her: Is it working?
Me: Hold on here, I now have error 161-4 (I know this is a good thing). Let me try the test channels. Test channels show "No Channels Available". Error comes on screen "No signal on Cable In". I'm starting to wonder if we went forward or backward. Then, amazingly IT"S WORKING! Card state = Authorized.
Me: It works. You're a genius.
Her: This is the first cable card I've done.

Success!
Hey doctord - congrats. I'm also having trouble with my second card - I'm reposting my situation from the CableCard issues thread as this one seems more active:

Well I just had a return visit from a Comcast installer to try and get the second CableCard working and the conclusion is, after another failed effort, their system does not support two cablecards on a single outlet.

The CableCard says it's authorized (I've never seen the 161-4 error message people mention) - but when I try to access any of the channels beyond basic cable and the local HD I get a blank screen. I even get a blank screen on channel 17 (basic cable feed of HBO) - which makes me think it's account configuration crap not CableCard issues.

I thnk it's utter ******** and said as much - because the installers and their buddies (that they invariably call to say "Hey - have you ever heard of a TiVo that takes cable cards???" to which the answer is always "No...") seem to barely grasp how CableCard technology works.

Anyway - single tuner S3 for me for the moment - until I get to talk to someone with half a frickin' clue! I've put a call in to talk to a cablecard expert but I doubt I'll get any joy.

Robert.
robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #313
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robus
Hey doctord - congrats. I'm also having trouble with my second card - I'm reposting my situation from the CableCard issues thread as this one seems more active:

Well I just had a return visit from a Comcast installer to try and get the second CableCard working and the conclusion is, after another failed effort, their system does not support two cablecards on a single outlet.

The CableCard says it's authorized (I've never seen the 161-4 error message people mention) - but when I try to access any of the channels beyond basic cable and the local HD I get a blank screen. I even get a blank screen on channel 17 (basic cable feed of HBO) - which makes me think it's account configuration crap not CableCard issues.

I thnk it's utter ******** and said as much - because the installers and their buddies (that they invariably call to say "Hey - have you ever heard of a TiVo that takes cable cards???" to which the answer is always "No...") seem to barely grasp how CableCard technology works.

Anyway - single tuner S3 for me for the moment - until I get to talk to someone with half a frickin' clue! I've put a call in to talk to a cablecard expert but I doubt I'll get any joy.

Robert.
This couldn't be something mundanely stupid like they're using the same hostid for both cards? (they're different).

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #314
ah30k

My install did use the same host ID for both cards. After all, it is the same host. The installation went well with no problems (other than two of the four cards he tried having problems with the pairing, but he already expected that and brought extras).

EDIT: I was wrong, different Host_ID for each card.

Last edited by ah30k : 09-23-2006 at 07:43 AM.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #315
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
My install did use the same host ID for both cards. After all, it is the same host. The installation went well with no problems (other than two of the four cards he tried having problems with the pairing, but he already expected that and brought extras).
Actually, I have two different host ID's on my TiVo. Your TiVo should have two host ID's. It's like your computer has a different MAC address for your ethernet port and your wireless access card.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #316
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Is anyone else having issues where occasionally (maybe 1 out of 20-30 channel changes), the system shows video/sound for 2-5 seconds, then sound goes out for 1/2 second, and then the screen goes blank?

If you change channels again, it corrects it. I'm assuming the TiVo is getting corrupted data on channel change that it can't handle.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #317
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
They need to be different. It uses it and the cards own address to target, across the wire, the messages that unlock the card.

Otherwise they go to the wrong place.

Each CC slot has it's own CC host, in essence. It's an important point - it was the first question the installer who came here asked: "Will it give me two host ids?"

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #318
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robus
Quote:
I thnk it's utter ******** and said as much -
Yeah, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Do they wire things differently for digital cable? I only have analog, and to make a new "outlet," all they do is put in a splitter. How would CableCards on the two cables coming out of the splitter even know they were on different "outlets?"
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #319
BellevuePaul

Easy Install in Seattle

Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster.

Thanks for everyone's great information here, it was truly a huge help. I'm in the Seattle suburbs and got a tracking mail that said my S3 was on the UPS truck yesterday, so I started figuring out how to install it with everyone's help here. I was able to run up to the Northgate Comcast store from work (P.S. -- 94th St. 1/2 block east of Aurora...in Google Maps it's called TCI Cable not Comcast). Waited patiently in line and said, "I need to get two CableCARDs for a TiVo Series 3." The gal barely blinked, and clicked a couple things, checked my ID, gave me the cards, and said "no charges." So, that was easy. Almost TOO easy... :-)

Plugged in one card this morning, called up 800-COMCAST, went through the "I have a problem" menu and got a CSR. I chose to play it straight and risk that they would know what they're doing (hmm...dicey) and simply said, "Hi, I need to pair and activate a CableCARD for a TiVo Series 3." I said one because I chose to take the safe route with one card at a time. She said OK, went on hold for a couple minutes, came back, went away, came back, and asked for the serial number. TiVo's getting started guide is right -- write down the serial number on the card before you plug it in, because it's not the same as the number that gets displayed. Probably it's buried in there somewhere. The smart lady knew I had two cards, but I explained that I wanted to do one at a time because that's what the Community sez. She simply asked for the last digits of the card that wasn't installed, and then sent a hit to the other one (quick thinking there).

After a minute of patience and seeing that everything said "Unknown" more or less, I got a spontaneous 161-4. I happened to mention that I got an error message that I was expecting and she said "oh yeah, 164-4 or something?" Cool, this isn't her first box...

So I went to Live TV, and sure enough it came up. So she was about to say goodbye when I realized I could just keep this Golden CSR on the phone and plug in the second card. So we did that and it seemed that it got the 161-4 about 1 second after she hit the enter key. Literally we both said "geez, that was fast." So that 4 hours quote is obviously total nonsense, though my first card did take about 30 seconds.

The only part of this that I found confusing is that there's three screens in the CableCARD area that each appear to contain information that might be useful, but unless I go read all 11 pages of this thread, I as an innocent user have very little way of knowing which screen contains the status that I should tell the CSR is what the device says (she just wanted to know so she could know for future boxes) and which screens contain stuff I should ignore. I guess the screens are designed for installer techs, but I somehow doubt that most of those know anything more than I do based on the stories here.

So, now that it has re-done guided setup and I waited 20 painful minutes for organizing the program guide, I have digital cable on a DVR that doesn't completely blow! Best $800 bucks I've spent recently, and I haven't even watched anything yet...

Boy, that piano black gloss case looks sweet, too.

Thanks everyone
BellevuePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #320
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevuePaul
The only part of this that I found confusing is that there's three screens in the CableCARD area that each appear to contain information that might be useful, but unless I go read all 11 pages of this thread, I as an innocent user have very little way of knowing which screen contains the status that I should tell the CSR is what the device says (she just wanted to know so she could know for future boxes) and which screens contain stuff I should ignore. I guess the screens are designed for installer techs, but I somehow doubt that most of those know anything more than I do based on the stories here.
Good to hear it turned out well!

Those screens are just dumping data straight out of the card - ie, motorola/comcast "designed" them, so they should know what to expect there.

It was my installers 1st S3 and he knew what to expect on those screens.

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #321
Flop

Smooth Install

My install went smooth... In and out in 20 minutes (10 minutes were spent showing off TiVo features to Comcast installers).

I was nervous when they arrived with only 2 cards after reading all the horror stories on the forums.

They had provisioned the cards this morning before leaving the office to make their runs, so that did save some time.

The cards used were SA brand.

Anyways, they were a little confused by the TiVo since they hadn't seen one yet. One guy got on the phone with the local office to read out numbers. Guy number 2 inserted card 1. After a minute or so the info screen appeared. #1 read out the info to the local office. A couple minutes later the TiVo prompted to test channels. Worked like a charm.

Repeat for 2nd card.

They asked a lot of questions about why I use a TiVo instead of their box. I showed them how easy it is to setup Season Passes and Wishlists. They were blown away by the wishlist feature. #1 couldn't stop being amazed that he could do a wishlist for the Redskins and never miss a televised game... inclusing classic reruns (why you'd watch an old game is beyond me, but he was thrilled...)

Also, while the specs aren't stellar on the S3, the drive is double the capacity of the SA boxes they use here. #2 was wowed by the (future) ability to plug in an external drive to increase capacity even more.

Now if only the S3 could do PiP...
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #322
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
I'll post the screen shot of my CableCARD screens tonight. The pairing screen (for a Moto headend) displays a host_ID and a CableCARD ID which then get hashed together via some algorithm to generate a unique data identifier used to prevent portability (ie taking your CableCARD over to your buddies house for the big game). For my Comcast/Moto system, the host_id is the same for both card slots. You can deny it, but I'll have the screen-shots to show you later today.
Coo. Seems odd, but if that's what it says, then that's what it says.

It does lead to the ponderance that the posters issue where the cable co said they can't cope with two things on one outlet is related. Some boxes use a single host id, and some headend/backend systems can't deal with that (would be lame if so, if it's supposed to be supported).

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #323
Wembley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
For me Comcast replaced it with NFLHD/Special Events and/or TNTHD.
Wembley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #324
Wembley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann
Install, card #1: $15.65
Install, card #2: $14.40
Monthly fees: $2.75 each
Where are you?

I'm in Daly City, CA (just south of SF).

For me, the truck roll was like $17, and that's all. No monthly fees, no install cost per-card.
Wembley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #325
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
I'll post the screen shot of my CableCARD screens tonight. The pairing screen (for a Moto headend) displays a host_ID and a CableCARD ID which then get hashed together via some algorithm to generate a unique data identifier used to prevent portability (ie taking your CableCARD over to your buddies house for the big game). For my Comcast/Moto system, the host_id is the same for both card slots. You can deny it, but I'll have the screen-shots to show you later today.
Then one of us has a unique system because my S3 has two host ID's.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #326
maharg18

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18
My install experience so far...

I pick up 2 cards yesterday at my local Comcast office, no questions asked.

Tonight, I call the number provided, and get connected to a very rude woman who basically tells me that the local Comcast people are idiots for giving me the cards, and that I MUST have a professional install. I asked why I couldn't do it.

She said, "well, they have to hook it up to a computer-thingy".

I said, "I don't think so, you just have to send a signal down to activate it".

She says "Well, that's not going to work, let me transfer you to the cable internet department!". Obviously at this point she was already tired of me.

So, I get connected to a very nice guy in the internet department, and try as he might he was unable to get me fully configured. He sent the initialization signal multiple times, but I still keep coming up with "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY".

He tries totally removing the cards from my account and starting over, same thing. So now I sit here waiting for a "tech" to show up Friday between 8 - 12. Hopefully he will know what he's doing.
Well, the saga continues. 2 techs came to the house today while my wife was there (I couldn't get off from work), they were unable to get my existing cards working. They brought two more cards, same thing with them.

They spent most of their time trying to find the cablecard slot in my TV (there isn't one), and messing around with my Samsung OTA tuner (not sure what their reasoning was there).

Regardless, they left after 1.5 hours having gotten no further than I did on my own. They said they would contact the local cablecard "god" and see what he has to say.

Later on I talked to my wife, and I asked her if she could tell if they called a local person or a national line to get the cards activated, she tells me that they never ONCE called anyone. These guys didn't even realize that you must call to activate the cards.

All I can say is that my patience is running VERY thin here, I'm about ready to just take my Tivo down to the cable office and make them hook it up and send the damn signals to it right there. How hard can it be to activate a freaking card???
Old 09-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #327
canyon

I am in Portland Oregon. Since before the S3 all cablecard devices only had one cablecard Comcast has their billing system setup here that for every cablecard(I am keeping their box as well for howard stern and ppv) there is a $6.95 outlet charge, two cards, two outlet charges.
After getting thru to a local comcast supervisor and explaining why it should be only one outlet charge his response was thats the way is is in our system sorry. So called comcast corp 215 665 1700 (without this forum I would not of had comcast's corp # as the local superviser said he didnt have it) and within 5 min had a rep on the phone who agreed it should only be one outlet charge and gave me a case #. I also suggested that it would take care of alot of headaches to address this problem nationally which she also agreed.

Last edited by canyon : 09-22-2006 at 01:50 PM.
canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #328
williamlroy

Went down to the local comcast office (San Jose) to drop off my moto 3412 DVR. She reduced my bill $9.95 for the dvr and $6.95 for additional outlet.

Looking at my acct I noticed I had 2 more additional outlet charges for the 2 CCs. I said "Aren't the cable cards supposed to be free" (knowing damn well that I have been told numerous times that 1st is free and second is $.6.95) She said "yest they are, those are for the additional outlets" and I said "I dont have any additional outlets" and " So what are those charges for". She could not explain the reason, so she removed them.

So I am in the clear on any charges at all for the CCs. At least until someone wises up and puts back the addt outlet charge...
williamlroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #329
JoBeth66
Temp

Comcast guys here now. (3 of them)

One cat hiding under the bed. One hiding in #1 son's room.

One laying in the entertainment center on the shelf where they pulled the Comcast DVR box out.

CableCARD is being set up for the TV now, after that's in, they're going to do the TiVo box.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #330
BTV Engineer

I'm new!

Hi everybody! Longtime lurker here, although I did have an account I never posted. I've created a new account and this is my first post. With the Series 3 I've decided to come out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I went down to my local Comcast office to take care of a few account things and figured it would also be a good time to get the Cablecard install appointment. My Series 3 will arrive this coming Monday, Sept 25th. The CSR told me their HD-DVR was better and held more hours, that I'd lose On-Demand, and that I couldn't get HD without their STB. I said the Series 3 could get HD but I needed the Cablecards installed. She said they just had a meeting and were told they didn't support the new TiVo. I had her call her supervisor and she only confirmed that their cards didn't support the Series 3.

I went home quite angry. I called the service number on my bill and talked to another CSR. She didn't say the card didn't support the TiVo, only that she didn't know how to handle 2 cards in one box. I was transfered to the service department and after a few explanations regarding Cablelabs and "some friends" that already had them installed, she put me on hold for a few minutes.

When she came back she said that the 1st card was free, the 2nd card was $6.95 and the install was $14.95. I have an appointment for Tuesday, the 26th, the day after the Series 3 arrives. Hopefully there won't be any trouble with the delivery. I also hope my boss won't mind, I'll have to leave at noon as my appointment is 1 to 5 PM.

The extra charge for the card isn't a big deal, I presently have one Comcast STB for digital cable with one TiVo, the other TiVo only gets analog cable. It's worth the extra to get digital and HD on both tuners on the Series 3.
BTV Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote