TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #181
dlcrow

TWC Austin (actually Round Rock)

My initial install was a little painful (mostly time consuming). One of the cards thought it needed a firmware update, but would not complete the update (the other card completed the update just fine). The tech thought it would eventually finish, so he left.

The second tech visit involved a replacement card with a newer date on the back. There were also two other techs that came along to watch (nothing like three TW trucks in front of the house to pique the neighbors' interest) just to see what this Tivo was all about. The new card didn't need a firmware update.

After over 30 minutes of the tech on the phone getting both of the cards authorized for my services, I am good to go. Of course, I later noticed that my SA3250 was no longer authorized for the HD tier, so I had to call back and have that done. Apparently it is really hard for them to get all of your authorizations consistent across all of your devices.

I subscribe to the digital tier, the hd tier, and the sports pak. I can watch every channel on the S3 that I get on my SA3250 except for 408 (the new News 8 Sports loop channel). I haven't worried about that, yet.

Discussion on the cable yahoo group indicates that there exists SDV in the TW Austin service area, but it appears to be implemented inconsistently across different nodes. I don't believe that I have any SDV since I can get all channels just fine.
dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #182
tunnelengineer

bump
tunnelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #183
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelengineer
bump
Seems like TWC is quiet with the exception of a couple cities like Austin.... Perhaps thats a good thing since TWC Raleigh will coming tomorrow with my CC's. All the TWC customers must be off enjoying their S3..... Silence is golden.... I hope.....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #184
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Seems like TWC is quiet with the exception of a couple cities like Austin.... Perhaps thats a good thing since TWC Raleigh will coming tomorrow with my CC's. All the TWC customers must be off enjoying their S3..... Silence is golden.... I hope.....
Probably because Austin is a test market for the evil that is SDV.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #185
LostInAustin

I've been getting HD premium channels from TWC Austin just fine since Sunday 9/17 (HBOHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc.)...
LostInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #186
lateralis
Godless Heathen

so is there anyone here who's attempted an install in the midwest? specifically the cleveland area. I foresee other annoying issues given that TWC JUST took over adelphia here, just got the "meet your new cable company" packet last week.

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on an S3 till I know everything will work. thanks.
lateralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #187
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralis
so is there anyone here who's attempted an install in the midwest? specifically the cleveland area. I foresee other annoying issues given that TWC JUST took over adelphia here, just got the "meet your new cable company" packet last week.

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on an S3 till I know everything will work. thanks.
Chicken!!!!

Where is your spirit of adventure!!! Blazing new trails... Lewis and Clark....

OK.. I will take my medicine now...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #188
lateralis
Godless Heathen

my sense of adventure was taken out back and shot 4 months ago when I moved into our currently time warner, then adelphia area, and had to spend the better part of a week trying to get my "higher speed" cable modem set up properly.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #189
BigFrank

Are there any TWC Subscribers from Rochester, NY here?

I'm really curious to see what people's experiences are in my area...

Frank
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #190
scottjima

Time Warner in Frisco, TX...

They came out to do the install yesterday w/ (3) cable cards. The first one labeled "Comcast" worked, the second "Motorola" reported an error on the TIVO. I swapped it w/ the 3rd card and all were recognized. The installer then called dispatch and gave them the serial numbers from the card. I asked him if they needed the HOST and other info from the TIVO and he said no. I currently receive all HD local channels and the HD TNT channel. ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, and INHD do NOT work. They DO work on my two other cable cards in the actual TVs.

To compound all this, TW switched the channel lineup the other night. The TIVO does NOT have the correct channels listed. I don't think the TIVO lineup is the problem as I am able to directly tune to the specific stations. For Example, the TIVO thinks channel 369 is STARZHD when it is really the local ABCHD channel.

I've called TW 4 times now trying to get the cards working. The resent the signal twice, and actually asked for the HOST info the 3rd time - to turn into dispatch. I called in this morning and the rep told me he didn't know anything about cable cards and could not even look into the system to see if the HOST numbers had been added to the new cards. He left a "note" on the supervisors desk, whom has not called me back.

I am getting very frustrated. I had all kinds of problems getting the cable cards working correctly in my two TVs. Several on-site techs and numerous phone calls. Now, I am going through the same thing again. I don't think it is the TIVO, just a "programming" issue.

Lastly, how long does it normally take TIVO to update channel listings? This thing is very difficult to use as is. Will the TIVO automatically update, or do I have to redo the setup every day until it pulls down the correct channels?

If anybody else has had any experience w/ TW Frisco/Allen/The Colony/Wylie, etc., please post and provide your experience.
scottjima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #191
scottjima

As an update on the TIVO itself, I am very impressed. I do have an antenna which receives all but the local ABC station. I did record Law & Order the other night in HD and watched it yesterday. VERY cool. I have never had a TIVO before... this is great.

The audio and video seem to be of very good quality. I am running the TIVO 3 into a Denon HDMI switching receiver (HDMI & optical cable) and then to a Sony XBR LCD. I am running everything at 1080i and it all works well. I know the HDMI should carry audio also, but I have found it easier to use the multiple connections...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #192
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille
Voodoo, I've got TWC Brooklyn coming to me (allegedly) on Friday. I'll post something to let you know how it all goes, assuming a) the tech actually shows up; and b) my S3 is FINALLY delivered tomorrow as scheduled.
Ha. Allegedly is right. Please do let me know how it goes. Thanks.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #193
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjima
Time Warner in Frisco, TX...

They came out to do the install yesterday w/ (3) cable cards. The first one labeled "Comcast" worked, the second "Motorola" reported an error on the TIVO. I swapped it w/ the 3rd card and all were recognized. The installer then called dispatch and gave them the serial numbers from the card. I asked him if they needed the HOST and other info from the TIVO and he said no. I currently receive all HD local channels and the HD TNT channel. ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, and INHD do NOT work. They DO work on my two other cable cards in the actual TVs.

To compound all this, TW switched the channel lineup the other night. The TIVO does NOT have the correct channels listed. I don't think the TIVO lineup is the problem as I am able to directly tune to the specific stations. For Example, the TIVO thinks channel 369 is STARZHD when it is really the local ABCHD channel.

I've called TW 4 times now trying to get the cards working. The resent the signal twice, and actually asked for the HOST info the 3rd time - to turn into dispatch. I called in this morning and the rep told me he didn't know anything about cable cards and could not even look into the system to see if the HOST numbers had been added to the new cards. He left a "note" on the supervisors desk, whom has not called me back.

I am getting very frustrated. I had all kinds of problems getting the cable cards working correctly in my two TVs. Several on-site techs and numerous phone calls. Now, I am going through the same thing again. I don't think it is the TIVO, just a "programming" issue.

Lastly, how long does it normally take TIVO to update channel listings? This thing is very difficult to use as is. Will the TIVO automatically update, or do I have to redo the setup every day until it pulls down the correct channels?

If anybody else has had any experience w/ TW Frisco/Allen/The Colony/Wylie, etc., please post and provide your experience.
Those channels here are in an 'HD Suite' tier. They didnt work for me at first with a CC in the TV. Called CSR and they added HD Suite to CC's and all was well then.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #194
scottjima

I'll ask them about that on my next phone call... I guess they are "on" my two existing cable cards, but they don't automatically get added to the new ones?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #195
tunnelengineer

Had an install in Ohio today and everything worked like a dream. Plug one card in, guy calls office and channels all show up. Plug in second card and same thing. Everything is working 100% correctly. I am very happy.

To prevent problems be 100% straightforward with the TWC people that this is a new tivo dual cablecard device. Don't just tell them it's for two tv's. Let them do some research first and everything will work great.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #196
mowheeler

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralis

I live in the Eastern Cleveland Suburbs. Like you, I recently recieved my packet telling me that TW is replacing Adelphia in my area. Upon recieving my series three, I called TW/Adelphia today and requested 2 cable cards. At first, she scheduled an install date then said "Two? Why do you need two?" I answered generically that my devices needed 2 cable cards. She asked what device. When I said Tivo Series 3, she said let me check. She came back and said that the Tivo was not supported and she could not authorize install. I answered that CableCard is a federal standard and all CableCard devices should work with all cable cards. She then claimed that she was only authorized to allow installation to a supported device. I then invoked the FCC rule saying TW may not discriminate on devices. She then begrudinlgy scheduled and said I would likely get a call from a manager to discuss with me.

Will keep you apprised.
mowheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #197
lateralis
Godless Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheeler
I live in the Eastern Cleveland Suburbs. Like you, I recently recieved my packet telling me that TW is replacing Adelphia in my area. Upon recieving my series three, I called TW/Adelphia today and requested 2 cable cards. At first, she scheduled an install date then said "Two? Why do you need two?" I answered generically that my devices needed 2 cable cards. She asked what device. When I said Tivo Series 3, she said let me check. She came back and said that the Tivo was not supported and she could not authorize install. I answered that CableCard is a federal standard and all CableCard devices should work with all cable cards. She then claimed that she was only authorized to allow installation to a supported device. I then invoked the FCC rule saying TW may not discriminate on devices. She then begrudinlgy scheduled and said I would likely get a call from a manager to discuss with me.

Will keep you apprised.
thanks. this is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid so maybe I'll hold off another few weeks till all the kinks get worked out.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #198
peekb

I live in Niskayuna, NY. The TW guy showed up today (the same guy who, previously, was able to convince the lead techs that the Road Runner issue I was having was really an issue on their end and forced them to find and fix it). He remembered me from the 3 times he was at my apartment previously and took great care of me as he had before. New coax, new splitters, terminted the unused jack in the bedroom to drive the signal higher in the living room and 2nd bedroom, etc. He popped in the cards, wrote down the numbers, called them in and it worked the first time. He stayed here until I finished the guided setup for the cards, ensured that all channels were working, and left. Perfect install. I wish everyone could get a decent tech out to their place to get taken care of...
peekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #199
tunnelengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowheeler

Will keep you apprised.
you need to send him a copy of the cablecard approved devices (it's linked on these forums somewhere). I would also recomend trying to be nice to the people or you may find your install will be continually rescheduled.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #200
scottjima

I was not "keeping" the TIVO from them, but I did not tell them either. Just told them I needed two cards for a device that used both. They said OK and scheduled the appt. The tech didn't seem to care either.

I am on call 10+ now. They have verified the host number and cc serial number are correct and "resent" the "basic" signal to the cards. The last call ended up them escallating it to the cable card dept. They are going to "talk" directly to the card and try to fix it. I also have another tech visit scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I did call TIVO today also in reference to the channel listings not being correct w/ the TW channel lineup change. I reran the guided setup this afternoon and now receive the correct schedule/channel lineup!

I am waiting for TW to tell me it is the TIVO that is the problem, but I know it is not. The 3 HD channels I can't received display a message stating to call the cable company to activate the device. Hopefully the cable card dept. will be able to "fix" the cable cards by "talking" to them tonight.

They'll probably mess up my scheduled recordings for tonight...

Has anybody gotten a Tivo 3 to work in this service area? Frisco/The Colony/Allen, etc.?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #201
BillP Studios
Creator of WinPatrol

Time Warner Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekb
I live in Niskayuna, NY. ... Perfect install. I wish everyone could get a decent tech out to their place to get taken care of...
Hey Peek!
I'm across the river in Scotia.
You just made me very happy although I had hoped to be the first in the nycap area to own a Series3.

I wasn't able to get TW to come out until tomorrow afternoon but I'm looking forward to the install of my 2 cable cards. Glad to hear everything is compatible.

Only problem I've seen so far, (aside from no TiVo2Go) was the length of time between channel changes. I don't suppose that will go away after the cable cards are installed?

Thanks!
Bill Pytlovany
Bits from Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BillP Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #202
ahaley42

TW Austin Update:
So far my biggest issue has been lower level support attitude towards helping the customer and an even decent attitude towards cable cards. I have equipment from Vendors that I don't LOVE either, but I suck it up and move on. Once I got higher up the food chain, WAY higher the help and support has been great. No problems fixed yet but they're trying. They're keeping me in the loop, which is the best I can ask. It's the same as most places, once you get past the people making min. wage and just putting in their time for a paycheck you get people that really care.

Outstanding issues:
-Cable Cards, Scientific Atlanta: Still behaving strangely. One works totally, the other decodes but Tivo says it's bad. We tried 4 but Tivo doesn't show you the firmware update screen unless you go to Live TV or Channel Test and if you pull them out you hose the card. Burned 2 cards doing this, they then require a refresh in a laptop.
I am assuming they test these boxes before they roll them out, they need to update and test the cards too. They rely on the two way communication to report errors and resolve issues with cable boxes but these cards can't do that. They're going to have to treat them more like other items in the tech industry, make sure they work when they walk out the door so they'll work onsite. And for goodness sake don't remove a card until after you've seen if it's updating. Tivo needs to have future revs tell you immediately that it's updating.

-No Premium Channels, HD or SD. HDNET, ESPNHD, HBO, CMax, etc... -This appears to be a TW Austin wide issue with S3's

-Getting copyprotect issues with flags set to expire content immediately (CopyNever) and after a short time period, within hours. not sure what that is. TWA has told me that's a national broadcaster issue. Not sure that is correct because other people didn't have the issue.

Like I said, I had a lot (1 week) worth of hassle trying to get to the right people. Once I got there it's been better. They had to go out and fight for a Tivo at BestBuy just like the rest of us. The shipping issue at Tivo set them back as well. Tivo dropped the ball on this rollout as well from my perception. Should have had more info in people's hands sooner and even comped them some boxes for the larger markets. 20 Tivos wouldn't have been a big deal considering. Tivo should have also ramped up their support people's knowledge of the product. The "senior most tech" at the call center told me to remove my card during an update. After he asked me if it was a series 2 cable card. hmm. Pony blew me off on the subject but it should have happened. Tivo is still young but they have much to learn from others in the Tech Industry, if you want to play with the big boys...

It's as it always is, it's a grey line, there is no one 100% to blame. it's getting closer and I hope to have a resolution and a working S3 soon.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #203
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

ok i am setting up cable cards with TW austin soon.

most people are saying they don't get premium HD channels and 1 person say they do. for those of you with TW austin, can you please post what cable package you have (std or digital), if you subscribe to HD tier package (espn, inhd, etc) and if you subscribe to premium channel package (hbo, sho, cinemax etc). btw, tnt HD, discoveryHD are NOT premium HD channels. i get them on my digital box w/o paying for HD tier. also can you post if you don't get a certain channel in the 1500-1600 range. thanks.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #204
freiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
ok i am setting up cable cards with TW austin soon.

most people are saying they don't get premium HD channels and 1 person say they do. for those of you with TW austin, can you please post what cable package you have (std or digital), if you subscribe to HD tier package (espn, inhd, etc) and if you subscribe to premium channel package (hbo, sho, cinemax etc). btw, tnt HD, discoveryHD are NOT premium HD channels. i get them on my digital box w/o paying for HD tier. also can you post if you don't get a certain channel in the 1500-1600 range. thanks.
Digital, HBO.

I added HBO after getting the Tivo cable cards installed and HBO is fine on my SA8300. My Tivo doesn't get - 1501 Fox, 1617 DSC, and 1670 TNT as well as HBO. They attempted to unpair/repair, etc over the phone with no luck. I have a tech out tomorrow morning again to see if they can resolve.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #205
box464

TWC Dallas Area

If you live in an area of Dallas which uses the Dual-Line system (A/B Switch, you have two cable lines coming out of the wall and into your cable box), the new Tivo Series 3 will only be able to give you the A Side OR the B Side.

My thought was that I could use infrared to control the set top box and forego the CableCards just as i did previously. There is NO INFRARED on the Series 3. I overlooked this, thinking the Series 3 would just build upon what existed in Series 2 boxes.

You can get Side A, or you can get Side B, but you can't get both. You can even record two shows at once, but they have to be on the same Side. I believe all the HD Channels, local channels, etc are on Side A.

It wouldn't be so bad if they had all the crappy community tv and shopping networks over on B, but there's a mix of good channels on the B side like Comedy Central and FX.

So, fair warning to all you Dallas area Dual Liners out there.

It is my understanding that TWC is in the process of updating the Dual Line system to Single Line, but this could take up to another year to complete.

Last edited by box464 : 09-21-2006 at 11:10 PM.
box464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #206
skanter

Anyone with TWC in NYC area -- please post results with S3 and cablecards.

Are you getting all HD channels, including premium and HD tier?
skanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #207
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanter
Anyone with TWC in NYC area -- please post results with S3 and cablecards.

Are you getting all HD channels, including premium and HD tier?
I get the "It's All There" package from TWCNYC (Southern Manhattan), so I don't get the HDNet items.

Of the high def channels that I'm aware of, the following are confirmed to work:
701 HBOHD
702 WCBSDT
703 SHOWHD
704 WNBCDT
705 WNYWDT
706 DHD
707 WABCDT
709 UHD
710 TNTHD
711 WPIXDT
713 WNETDT
730 WABCDT2
731 WNBCDT2
732 WNBCDT4
741 SNYHD
750 WNJNDT

I just ran through all of them with both tuners, no issues. Some are not broadcasting HD at this hour, but the stations are coming in.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #208
skanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
I get the "It's All There" package from TWCNYC (Southern Manhattan), so I don't get the HDNet items.

Of the high def channels that I'm aware of, the following are confirmed to work:
701 HBOHD
702 WCBSDT
703 SHOWHD
704 WNBCDT
705 WNYWDT
706 DHD
707 WABCDT
709 UHD
710 TNTHD
711 WPIXDT
713 WNETDT
730 WABCDT2
731 WNBCDT2
732 WNBCDT4
741 SNYHD
750 WNJNDT

I just ran through all of them with both tuners, no issues. Some are not broadcasting HD at this hour, but the stations are coming in.

Good news! Hope HD package is not a problem for cablecards.

Since I got a HD plasma last month, I added the HD package, and dropped the "it's all there" package, just keeping the HD premiums, HBO and Showtime. I get much more HD content, including YES HD and many HD movies, and save about $15/mo in the process.
skanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #209
sakaike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrypennock
YES! But it's not JUST premium content. I have it on some but not all of my HD channels (problems w/ ESPNHD and UniversalHD but not w/ HDnet) and with some but not all of my digital SD channels (problems w/ Bravo and Sundance but not my soccer channels). The problem that I'm having is with tiling and pixelation of the video and drop-outs on the audio.

I did the signal strength indicator and, on problem channels, it jumps all over the place, from 96 to no digital signal. TiVo and TWC both agreed that I had signal strength problems since I was RECEIVING all my channels, albeit problematically for some (therefore, it was concluded that this wasn't a CC authorization issue). HOWEVER, I just had a TWC tech out to my place. He installed a 15dB signal strength booster, said I was now getting TONS of signal, and it didn't help one bit on the problematic channels!

Tech said he had no idea if it was a problem with my CC's or with my TiVo box but either way, there was nothing he could about it because what was coming out of the cable wire was fine. So he left.

Anyone else out there having this problem?
What should I do? I paid $$$ for this box and I REALLY want it to work.
I don't have a S3, but intend to buy one soon and am a TW "customer." I can tell you that I have exactly the same problem you are seeing with my Moto 6200 HD STB, and that what you are seeing is not necessarily due to the S3. My tech also reports that my signal strength is exactly right (not too strong or too weak), and I am seeing the same thing as you, on all channels, HD and SD, and at all times of the day and night. My SD box upstairs is fine, so I'm leaning towards thinking that the cause is either signal variability specific to the cable run to this particular outlet, or a bad HD box, since this phenomenon is only seen in one room of the house.

I don't have a cure for your problem, but wanted to let you know that there are others out there seeing the same problem that aren't S3 users, so the problem (and solution) may not have anything to do with your S3. It's probably perfectly good.
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #210
paulchiu
Paul Chiu

Hi,

Can you transfer the HD recordings from the new TIVO - 3 onto an external hard drive or Computer in the original 1080i format?

I am currently using the TWC 8300HD DVR and you cannot transfer the recordings onto a D-VHS recorder with copy-protection chip or Computer. You can connect an external eSATA drive to the 8300HD DVR but that process is very unpredictable.

Thanks.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanter
Good news! Hope HD package is not a problem for cablecards.

Since I got a HD plasma last month, I added the HD package, and dropped the "it's all there" package, just keeping the HD premiums, HBO and Showtime. I get much more HD content, including YES HD and many HD movies, and save about $15/mo in the process.

paulchiu is offline   Reply With Quote