Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #241
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorktivo
The lady giving me the cards asked bout why someone would spend $800 for a box when you can rent theirs for $10. Also, she asked what do you do if the box dies, does Tivo replace it for free? In defense of Comcast, I have had two boxes die, and they just replace them. It's hard to argue with the logic that it is more cost-effective to rent the Comcast box. Without Tivo-To-Go and Multi-Room-Viewing, about the only thing I can do with this is stream audio and pictures, but my Xbox can do that already, and the Xbox does it better: it can stream music and pictures at the same time...the pictures are also pseudo-animated.
What did you tell her?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #242
shady
We have chickens!

Has anyone managed to get 2 Cablecards and a settop box for free from Comcast (as it states you can do in the FAQ that btwx forwarded?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #243
jfh3

Quote:
In defense of Comcast, I have had two boxes die, and they just replace them. It's hard to argue with the logic that it is more cost-effective to rent the Comcast box.
There's a reason the return/failure rate of the 6412's is so high - even in a well-ventilated area, the box gets hot enough to fry food on, since there's no fan.

I don't usually get extended warranties, but did with the Series 3 boxes.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #244
dorktivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
What did you tell her?
I just shrugged and said I like the Tivo product more than their box. I guess it is just brand loyalty. I would be hard-pressed to come up with a compelling reason to shell out $1K for a box that one can rent with SIMILAR features for $10/month and get free replacements.
dorktivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #245
Brainiac 5

Quote:
I just shrugged and said I like the Tivo product more than their box. I guess it is just brand loyalty. I would be hard-pressed to come up with a compelling reason to shell out $1K for a box that one can rent with SIMILAR features for $10/month and get free replacements.
If they ask me this I'll try to phrase my answer in a nice way, but basically I'll say that I really do just dislike their box that much.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #246
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady
Has anyone managed to get 2 Cablecards and a settop box for free from Comcast (as it states you can do in the FAQ that btwx forwarded?
I have an appointment for TWO cable card installations on Sept 29. Both are free for me, but there's a $16.99 installation fee I believe.
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #247
dobbie1

After a week of stonewalling, I finally was able to get the local Comcast office to return my calls. I can't pick the cards up myself, but do have an installation date of Sept 29, 8:30 -10:00. Installation fee of $10.00 and a per card charge of $1.75 monthly.
dobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #248
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
- brand loyalty
- same interface regardless of cable provider
- can change cable providers without nuking recordings (they'll love that!)
- THX certification
- customer upgradeable
- active aftermarket add-ons available.
- cool front panel display

.. and bring in the remote and show it to them. (IMHO, only way to top it would be to build a remote with the physics of the S3 peanut and the innards of a Harmony 880).
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #249
stoli412

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerfeld
(IMHO, only way to top it would be to build a remote with the physics of the S3 peanut and the innards of a Harmony 880).
Side by Side my S3 peanut and Harmony 880 are almost identical in shape and size. The peanut is slightly curved, slightly narrower in the center, and heavier. All in all, moving from the peanut to the 880 is pretty painless. Although I still keep the peanut out 'cause it's pretty.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #250
aressa

I just realized something, I don't know the phone number to call to have my CableCards activated when I set the box up. Does that pop up as part of the card information, or is it a regional Comcast phone number, or what?

I'm in the Seattle (Kirkland) area.

I had such an easy time going in and getting the Cards from the office that I did not even think about getting the activation phone number. Does the 800-COMCAST number get me to the right place?
aressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #251
smark

Yes.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #252
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aressa
I just realized something, I don't know the phone number to call to have my CableCards activated when I set the box up. Does that pop up as part of the card information, or is it a regional Comcast phone number, or what?

I had such an easy time going in and getting the Cards from the office that I did not even think about getting the activation phone number. Does the 800-COMCAST number get me to the right place?
It shows up when you open the the CableCard HD screen.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #253
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
The lady giving me the cards asked bout why someone would spend $800 for a box when you can rent theirs for $10.
In my area, you have to pay $34 for expanded basic in order to get the DVR for another $10, so for people who don't care about expanded basic, the cost of the DVR is actually $44 per month. That would pay for the $800 S3 in about 18 months.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #254
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by aressa

I called 1-800-COMCAST and had no trouble. The first person who answered was able to help me out. When you call 1-800-COMCAST, you get a regional call center (in Everett, I think).
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #255
LASchleigh

So, I thought I would share my experience getting Comcast cablecards installed. Utlimately, it was a success despite Comcast's lack of knowledge.

Started last week to order the cards. CSR said that she could only input one card on my account and that there was no way for her to indicate 2 cards on the account. After much frustration, we left it with her just putting in a note on the tech request that I am requesting 2 cards. Install was set for yesterday. Call back the next day to confirm and try a different CSR. Now I can get 2 cards but they will have to reschedule the tech call for another 2.5 weeks out. I said forget it and I will take my chances with having the tech actually read the note that I needed 2.

Tech shows up yesterday at 4:30 in a 1:00 to 5:00 window. Lo and Behold, 2 cable cards 'cause I am replacing 2 boxes, right. Set him straight and showed him the TiVo. "Wow, two cards, eh. Haven't seen that." is the response. "Not sure if it will work. Normally we only support products after they have been on the market for 90 days" he tells me after I told him it came out last week. Apparently this guy must to Internet installs a lot because he followed up saying they don't support windows Vista either but it still works.

I give the tech the instructions that were in the box AND the instructions printed from the web site. The response? "TiVo doesn't know anything about cable. I am sure those won't work." Uh, ok.... so I let him do it his way. He grabs the remote and wham.... he restarts the box. Not sure why. (He has a TiVo at home so he can get around the menus fairly well). After the restart, he runs the guided setup and installs card 1 and gets it working as part of the set up. After the downloads, etc., he restarts it, reruns guided setup, installs card 2, and gets the card working. He the restarts the TiVo again, runs guided setup again, checks for the HD and encrypted HD channels and restarts again.

So 4 restarts, 3 guided setups later it is done and works fine. He complains that it takes so long to do. Granted if he followed the instructions, it probably would have been done in half the time. Not to mention it took a while for hime to get a hold of someone to send the signals to the cards. Of course, he is the same guy that when asked if TNT-HD was indeed starting on the systme yesterday, the reply was "nope, not in this area, not for a long time." Tune to channel 926 and there it was! Made me laugh.

Observation: 1 new motorola card firmware 4.21 gets the encrypted HD channels quickly after restart. 1 older motorola card firmware 4.05 take up to 15 minutes after restart to get all the encrypted HD.

That is it. While not the "TiVo" way to install, it worked and I won't complain (too much).
LASchleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #256
singletb

So far, so good

Wow, my experience with upgrading to a Series 3 has been amazing so far. I will share my experience with TiVo / Comcast here.

First off, after the initial announcement of the Series 3, I hemed and hawed about ordering due to price. Finally, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered on this Tuesday (9/19). I ordered with standard shipping, expeciting it to be 2+ weeks before I actually saw the unit. In the meantime, I called Comcast to see what the status of CableCards were. They informed me over the phone that I could pick a couple up at their Chicago north side office or have a tech come to my place and install them. They did not mention anything at all about price.

Anyway, I am sitting at work, and a big box shows up for me. To my surprise, it is my new TiVo. I am still dumbfounded by how it got here so quickly, but I won't complain. Anyway, that prompted me to stop by the Comcast office over lunch time. I showed up and asked for cable cards. Initially the lady said only a tech could install them and I would set-up an appointment. I acted surprised and told her that over the phone they said that I could pick the cards up. I didn't raise my voice or get bent out of shape, and was ready to turn around and leave when she said, "hold on." Well, she dissapeared for a few minutes and told me that a tech was setting up the cards for me. Another 10 minutes go by, and she returns with the two cards for me. No charges, no questions asked. She told me that they have been programmed and should work from the get-go. Anyway, I haven't been home yet to set things up, but this all couldn't have gone any more smoothly so far. It's nice to see that my easy-going personality with the service people has finally paid off!

Now, my only problem is that there is a lot of TV that I want to watch tonight. That makes a big conondrum on wether to install the new unit or watch the shows. I can't really do both.
singletb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #257
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletb
Now, my only problem is that there is a lot of TV that I want to watch tonight. That makes a big conondrum on wether to install the new unit or watch the shows. I can't really do both.
Buy another TV so you can do both

Glad to hear it's been painless thus far.

Of course, you may yet need to call in to get those cards activated - newer cards/headends/something need to be paired to the cable card slots' hostid, which they can't have known at the comcast place (unless they powered up your tivo...)

Chris.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #258
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Assuming its on TiVo, you can catch up with it later. I still have a lot of things I would normally have already watched, but I've been playing with the new TiVo for most of the week.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #259
Barb

My quote from Comcast...free for the first card, $2.75 per month for the second card. Installation is separate for each card and is about $15 each. Apparently, they need to provision each card and that is something they need to do themselves. I am in just north of Boston.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #260
tube013

Comcast just left me a little while ago. I made the appointment a week ago, and told them I needed 2 cards. He comes in the door, and says one cable card right, and I say no 2. He borught a spare with him incase the first one didn't work, so I was SOL if on didn't work.

So it was the first time he or his dispatcher had seen the box. But I gave him the sheet and both cards seemed to work.

When we tested them I wasn't getting some of my channels, and the dispatcher on the phone said it could take up to 4 hours for all the programming to work.... is this true?

I only get regular expanded basic + HDTV which gets me espn, espn2, tnthd, universal hd, inhd, inhd2, discovery hd, Comcastsports, and my locals.

As of now about an hour after the install and after I re-ran guided setup, I have one inhd channel working, and about 3 of my locals out of about 15 all together. I figure I will give it until 7pm and then call tech support.

Reading the cablecard screens are interesting, like one card has encyption enable, and one doesn't, one card says subscribed, and one doesn't. I have no Idea what is right and wrong.
tube013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #261
richburr

My S3 will be arriving today. I called Comcast's 800 number and spoke to a person there who did not seem to be aware of the new Tivos.

I told her that I wanted two CableCards, and she told me that I would not be able to view VOD content with them. I told her that I was aware of that, and that I would also like an HD box.

She told me that I only needed the HD box. I told her that no, I also needed the CableCards as they are required for the Tivo. At some point she put me on hold, and after she came back she told me that she had spoken with a tech who told her that I only needed the HD box. I told her again that I also needed the CableCards, that the tech was wrong.

She scheduled me for an appointment, I have to wait over a week to get one that is outside of my work schedule. She told me that they would need a second outlet, and that there was a fee of $24 to install that. She said there is a $16 fee to roll the truck, but that they would only charge me the $24.

She also said there would be a monthly fee for the HD box. I since have seen that FAQ and it does appear that should be free, I guess I will hash that out with them after I get my bil...

Rich
richburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #262
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube013
When we tested them I wasn't getting some of my channels, and the dispatcher on the phone said it could take up to 4 hours for all the programming to work.... is this true?
Not in any sane system, but we are talking about Comcast here.

This seems to be a way to deflect the customer and let the installer leave, without the install being completed.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #263
Omnius

Everybody keeps talking about the FAQ and the "free cable box" with cable cards. I believe that is wishfull thinking and I read it completely different. As long as you pay for a digital package, you get a free cable box. The FAQ answer stating that they will be happy to provide you with a free cable box is just another way of saying you don't have to be cheap and get a cable card to save money, because you can get the full box for free.

I believe you can get a free cable box, or a free cable card, if you pay for a digital pacakge, but not both a free cable card and free box.
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #264
singletb

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Assuming its on TiVo, you can catch up with it later. I still have a lot of things I would normally have already watched, but I've been playing with the new TiVo for most of the week.
That's the problem. If I disconect my S2 so that there are no splits in my cable when I install, then it will miss all of the shows I was going to record tonight.
singletb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #265
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
That's the problem. If I disconect my S2 so that there are no splits in my cable when I install, then it will miss all of the shows I was going to record tonight.
Do you forsee a problem putting a splitter in the cable? It made no difference for me. You could always get a buffer amp if you're that worried about the signal level.

What about taking the output from the S2 and making sure its in standby? (S2s do have RF out don't they?)
Old 09-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #266
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richburr
She also said there would be a monthly fee for the HD box. I since have seen that FAQ and it does appear that should be free, I guess I will hash that out with them after I get my bil...
HD box is $5/month here, not free, and that's also considered an additional digital outlet since you already have other outlet(s).
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #267
Ereth

I thought I'd add my own experience, at least so far. My S3 isn't here yet, but the tracking number says it'll be here tomorrow.

I originally called Comcast the day the S3 was announced and was told that I could not pick up the Cablecards myself but had to have it installed, at $29.95 per cablecard. Since I didn't know when the S3 would be in, I didn't schedule the install.

So last night I called to schedule that install and they inform me that I CAN just go get them if I want. But they were closed right then.

So I went down this morning on my way to work and they gave me two Cablecards. I only have the very minimum cable necessary to drive my cablemodem, so she told me the Cablecards would be $9.95 each. I said cablecards should be free and then we realized she was including the cost of the new HD service that I didn't have at that point, so that was fine (though I argued I should only get charged once, not twice, since it's one box, she wasn't having any of that).

I won't get anything but local channels in HD at this level, and the next level is about $45/month more than I'm paying, so I'm going to stick at this level until I see what it can do.

But I have the Cablecards and will install them myself tomorrow night. Both are Motorola, but I can't tell the firmware version, of course.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #268
AdamSKahn

No Problem in Silicon Valley

I live in Palo Alto, CA (halfway between San Francisco and San Jose). I called 1-800-945-2288. I told the technician I needed 2 cable cards installed. He figured out right away that I must have one of the new TiVos because they've been getting a lot of calls. He said that there was a one time $15.99 installation cost and that both cards were free of charge. I don't think this information was a fluke because this is the same information I received when I called Comcast on the 14th, the day I ordered my TiVo (however I did not set an appointment up at the time since I did not know when the unit would arrive). The only downside is that they've been getting so many request that the earliest they can come is October 11th. However the technician left a note for his dispatcher to see if they might be able to schedule an earlier appointment.

Also, he said the reason that a technician had to install the cards is because when they used to let customers install them on their own, the customers would often damage the cards since they are apparently very sensitive.
AdamSKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #269
xtoph

De-lurking to share my relatively positive experience... about 24 hours after deciding to get an S3, I'm all set. Not bad at all.

Decided yesterday I could justify getting an S3. Best Buy and Circuit City were out (or not yet stocking them), but each of the two Ultimate Electronics I called had a couple in stock. (This is in the Lakewood, Colorado area.)

On the way home from UE I stopped at the closest Comcast office and asked for a couple cable cards. Was told only tech can install them, but they set up an appointment for the next morning (today!)

Tech was running late, and this was the first S3 he'd seen, but he was game to make it work. The cable cards looked shiny-new -- Motorola branding only, firmware version 4.21 on each.

He was willing to follow the TiVo instruction sheet, except for the "wait for the grey screen" step -- he poked around in the Cable Card menu and hit "Hunt" over and over until the numbers came up (probably not needed.)

The person he called to activate the first card did so quickly, and the card got its channels within a minute of the call. The tech tested a few channels from every "batch" including premiums, HD, etc. No problems.

Card 2 was slightly more complicated because when he called he spoke with a different person who was skeptical of the whole scenario, and asked to have it explained to him a few times. Then he said the work order had been entered wrong and he had to re-enter it before he could assign me the second card, But after the red tape was cut, the activation went smoothly and the tech again tested almost every channel. Then he handed the remote back to me so I could redo the guided setup, and all is well!

I'm upgrading from two single-tuner S2s, each with a cable box attached to it -- so I'm replacing 4 boxes & remotes with 1. Joy.

Next week I'll return the cable boxes to the local office and ask/argue about what all this is going to cost. I was afraid to have that conversation before the cards were installed and working, lest I turn an ally into an enemy...
xtoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #270
Jharrington

Sarasota FL cablecard hell

Here in Sarasota FL they want to charge me a 49.95 instalation fee and 19.95 per moth for the 1st card and 11.95 a month for the second card. No pick-ups allowed. How is it that people get these for free in some areas and it costs more than 30.00 here?

Is there anything I can do? Anyone else in the area experiencing this? What could I possibly say or do to get them to lower these outragous fees? This is by far the highest price I've seen on these boards.

They told me if I keep my STB they would lower the price of the cards to 11.95 each per month...wow...how kind. I'm in a crappy apartment complex that only has Comcast for available service but if I could...bye bye Comcast. First thing I do when I move is get a new provider.
Jharrington is offline   Reply With Quote