TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #151
VoodooNYC

That's amazing. I can only hope mine goes as well this Saturday. Thanks for the report.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #152
SoBayJake

My installer was at my place this morning, mine being the first TiVo S3 he'd done. He tried to explain what I would lose w/ cable cards, but I cut him off.

He was also worried to install in anything other than a TV, but I walked him thru it. We did both at once, well, one, then the other, then he called them in. After he did #1, it worked, stopped working, then came back just fine. Same for #2.

Luckily, he grabbed a couple cable cards on his way out this morning, as the work order made no mention of two cable card installs! Grrrr.

Now, I just can't get my S3 to connect to the TiVo service! :-( Its been flaky. It sets the time, then just hangs on "Getting account status." I'll try more tonight, and might have to call customer support.
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #153
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
Now, I just can't get my S3 to connect to the TiVo service! :-( Its been flaky. It sets the time, then just hangs on "Getting account status." I'll try more tonight, and might have to call customer support.
My S3 has a lot of weird network connectivity issues... it seems to only work with my spare Linksys router. It won't run on the Cisco PIX (the other TiVos in my apt work fine with it). I can't complete guided setup without putting the TiVo on the Linksys.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #154
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
My S3 has a lot of weird network connectivity issues... it seems to only work with my spare Linksys router. It won't run on the Cisco PIX (the other TiVos in my apt work fine with it). I can't complete guided setup without putting the TiVo on the Linksys.
I'll try that too...will also try a direct connection.

I'm using an Airport Extreme Base Station right now...do you have to swap your's out, or do you just out your linksys router in the middle?

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #155
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
I'm using an Airport Extreme Base Station right now...do you have to swap your's out, or do you just out your linksys router in the middle?
I swapped it out while I'm experimenting. I figure I'll try putting it in the middle next. Be sure to turn off your cable modem and start it back up when you replace routers.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #156
TexasGrillChef

capngrouch,

Are you "the Colony" too?

I do not subscibe to showtime so can't answer that. I can't get the HD 700 channels or HBO HD.

Im missing some other channels that my cable card TV's get (I have 3 tv's that use cable cards"

So I dont' know if its the "TIVO" or what. It might be the fact that TIVO hasn't updated the channell Lineup. We will see.

Let me know how things work out of you when TIVO finaly updates their lineup for our area.

TexasGrillChef
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #157
bradolson

My TW experience:

- called yesterday, was told I could come by the service center today and pick up the two cards "they'll be waiting for you"
- went this morning, was told "we can't do that", "we don't have those here" and that the guy I talked to had no idea what they were talking about
- had to schedule an appointment for next week Wednesday

And of course they had no idea how these could possibly be used with a TiVo, said something to the effect of "they probably aren't going to work, but we'll send someone out anyway"

ugh. just when i thought this would be a quick one-day thing. typical TW
bradolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #158
flackman

I almost hate to post this, but I'm so ecstatic I have to share. Some backstory:

I am from Minneapolis, I have two cablecards for a 32" and 40" XBR sony LCDs I own. When I got the 32 (for the bedroom), I tried to get the 40"'s cablecard to work in the 32". No go. They had to send out a truck monkey with a new card. Since both my girl and I work full time, this is quite an inconvenience.

Oh, and I have ADHD. Bad. I hate the medication, so I don't take it.

Back to the story. I receive the s3 tivo today. I know it is there because my girl ICQs me to tell me it arrived when she was home from work. Also, I've been insanely checking ups.something.

The UPS delivery person has a habit of placing every box we receive under our dirty, dirty welcome mat. This is the kind of welcome mat that came with the house. We don't want it, it's just there. We certainly don't expect it to hide any packages.

Perhaps Tivo Series 3 has a history of blowing away. Placing a box that happens to be larger than said welcome mat seems unnecessary, but I am not a UPS agent. I am far from an expert in the delivery service industry.

We quickly get past this, considering we know Tivo Series 3 is just a few quick key-strokes away.

I have a feeling I have never felt before in my life. It is mostly excitement, but overcome by dread. When I ordered it, I knew I needed cablecards. When I first heard about it last year, I knew I needed cablecards. I know I have two cablecards already. Of course, I still feel helpless.

I unpack, extract approximately twenty thousand cables from my old setup (s2+cablebox), attempt to get some sort of use out of it with no cablecards because I know trying to get cablecards for this thing is going to be the worst experience of my week. And I've had a very tough week.

I have 10 channel 0's and about 200 channels that tune to my favorite color and sound: black, and silent.

I have a few glasses of wine. I grab my nintendo DS, my macbook pro and settle in. The journey has begun.

I find the phone, only to realize I have no water. What if, in the middle of the 7th transfer, I need to get water and have none? I make preparations. The average human can live three days without hydration. This worries me.

I start to wonder if I should first grab some bread or cereal. Even though I'm on a cordless phone that I've modified to reach to the creek nearby (approximately 1.5 blocks), I start to worry much worse. Will this support call take more than 21 days?

I gamble. I'm all in. I'm going to get these two cablecards transferred to my tivo if I have to starve to death.

I call support. 612-522-2000. That number has been committed to memory since I had King Videocable (and whatever was before that... northwest cable?). I start to put in my number. My VOIP provider failed me! I forgot to switch the dtmf encoding in my asterisk configuration when I switched... WHO WILL I GET NOW?!

I was interrupted by a man named Vang. "What's your number". I give him my number, name, address, 44th quad of my DNA. I explain, I have a cablecard that does not work! The HOST ID is incorrect. I know this cablecard will work because I've read the cablecard spec which is readily available via google.

I unplug the power from the TV so the cable card resets, and remove it.

Vang gives me the canned response, level 3 will just tell me reseat the card, reboot, blah blah..

I tell Vang, I realize you need to walk me through the reboots and resets.... However please AIM the level 3 tech this is my problem. I need the cablecard de-paired and re-paired. The HOST_ID is incorrect.

Vang tells me, "OK. I will tell him."

I wait. Make some small talk.

Very soon later Vang asks me for the HOST_ID. I insert the card, bring up the relevant address. More small talk. It takes a few minutes for the cablecard to boot, as most of you know.

So, I read the HOST_ID off, he AIMs the level 3 who I assume de-paired and re-paired the card.

I "test channels". PERFECT. I channel all energy I can muster to keep from slightly urinating myself.

I repeat the procedure with my second card, the card that was plugged into the same TV I was viewing TiVo on. Same procedure, unplug power, pull card, seat in TiVo, wait. read off HOST_ID. This time it took longer, perhaps 4 minutes.

But, now I'm working 100% with a setup neither the level 3 or the level 1 had heard of before.

A little patience and amicable conversation can really go a long way!

I've written Vang's manager a very nice letter of how well he helped.

Sorry to interrupt the stream--I figured this thread could use a few more good experience writeups.

FWIW, I am now able to disconnect the two TVs, my old cable box and am thinking of splitting the OTA antenna going to my MCE box to the tivo, gaining a lot of dB in signal on the cable.

While this won't help me(98 signal even though it's split 9 ways), I think it would be interesting to compare picture quality: MCE OTA vs TiVo OTA vs TiVo CC vs Sony QAM Cable.. I'd throw Sony encrypted QAM into the mix but I'm a bit short on cablecards
flackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 AM   #159
freiz

Little update for Austin TWC'ers:

Received my S3 today at 2:32PM from Circuit City via Fedex - Tivo box as has already been noted, no outer box. Managed to *not* unbox it until I was done working around 5:45PM. That was pretty hard. Finally ran downstairs, unboxed it, and smiled while the family ooh'ed and aah'ed. At one point during my rather lengthy setup (I have a pile of electronics connected to my Mits 65") all three of my boys (7, 3.5, and 1.5 yrs. old) were dancing and chanting Tivo. They love the Tivo mascot... and they love to dance.

Anyway, I'm in Austin so I have to wait until tomorrow for CC install when the truck rolls after lunch sometime so I unhooked my S2 and SA HD PVR and hooked up the S3. I used component cables because I have experienced HDMI syncing issues with my TV in the past. Sound is delivered to my audio deck using optical cable and I also pushed sound to my TV direct using RCA cables. My cable connection is split using a two-place, powered splitter which I used in the past to supply cable to the S2 and SA HD PVR. Side note - I had my outside cable line replaced from the headend to my house due to signal problems shouldn't pose a problem.

I quickly plugged all the cables in and noted the OTA antenna connector was up top unlike past units. With my little indoor OTA antenna and cable line connected, I plugged the power into the S3. Dancing... - Mr. Tivo was officially in the house. Oh yes, I used my old Linksys wireless adapter for networking.

Setup was quick and painless - took maybe 20 minutes.

The analog cable picture on the S3 is leaps and bounds above what I get on the S2. Simply another experience... and after I had scanned available OTA channels and removed the OTAs I couldn't receive (I receive all available Austin networks), I discovered the HD picture to be as you would expect. Flawless. I initially had some blocking on one of the networks, but after a little antenna tweaking all is well.

With OTA HD available I setup a few Season passes and recorded a few shows. Playback was perfect. Flipping between tuners - fine. Two shows recording while watching a recording - fine.

No sound dropouts as has been reported by some although I am experiencing a loud popping hiss sound when I go to FOX HD from other channels. More research will be need to determine what that's all about. Also, I don't have a plasma so no remote problems.

The only thing that I would note is that the display time when you switch channels is rather long. I get a gray screen for about a second. This is the Tivo, not my TV switching display modes since I am using 1080i fixed. I don't think it's slower than say my SA HD PVR. I think the difference is that the SA doesn't remove the channel feed immediately and replace it with a gray background and then feed the new channel's video. It's just different. Based on other comments here I don't think CC's will change this... Plus, you become used to it. It's not a long second at all and as noted by others, the channel info panel appears immediately on top of the gray background. The unit feels fast except for the grid guide which I hate because it's so sloooooooow. The problem is the HD indicator is only availabe in the grid guide... bummer.

As I write this I can unhappily report that only PBS pushes HD content past primetime. Now I know why I pay TWC all that money...

All in all, best $900 I have spent this month. Prior to the S3, I haven't been spending much time with Tivo. Unlike many of you, I'm not a big TV guy - I probably only have 4 hours of must-watch TV each week and since much of the TV I watch is HD, I have been using the SA HD PVR because I timeshift much of that 4 hours. While the SA PVR has come a long way from its crappy roots, it still sucks. At least it records what I tell it, when I tell it, but that hasn't always been the case.

But, Tivo is simply the best and it's not just a little bit better than the SA, it's orders of magnitude better. I can honestly say I would keep the Tivo even if I couldn't get CC's.

Tomorrow: my report on my TWC - Austin cable card install and my report on what channels are and are not available. There has been much discussion about SDV and the loss of various channels. My analysis of what is and isn't lost earlier in this thread tells me my only potential loss is the National Geographic channel, but someone chimed in and stated that he receives it. The TWC - Austin site page for Cable Cards mentions nothing about losing channels beyond the PPV and VOD stuff.

I'll let you know tomorrow what I get...
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #160
Houtech

Houston Cablecards

After reading all the horror stories on the various threads, I was ready for a major hassle just getting the two cards I needed. But, in Houston it was a breeze. I walked into the TimeWarner storefront near me on Tidwell in NW Houston this morning at 9am and gave them my SciAtl 8000 hd DVR and they gave me two Cablecards. They didn't ask what they were for, didn't ask why I needed two, just handed them over. No hassle other than the "You know you won't be able to record anymore, you won't have the cable guide anymore, you won't have the music channels, blah, blah, blah" speech.

Hope the authorization process goes as well when I install them today!

I feel sorry for you guys that have to have (and pay for) a service call just to get these cards. For once, Timewarner Houston turned out to be one of the better cable companies in the country, at least this time.
Houtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #161
jeffrypennock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houtech
After reading all the horror stories on the various threads, I was ready for a major hassle just getting the two cards I needed. But, in Houston it was a breeze. I walked into the TimeWarner storefront near me on Tidwell in NW Houston this morning at 9am and gave them my SciAtl 8000 hd DVR and they gave me two Cablecards. They didn't ask what they were for, didn't ask why I needed two, just handed them over. No hassle other than the "You know you won't be able to record anymore, you won't have the cable guide anymore, you won't have the music channels, blah, blah, blah" speech.

Hope the authorization process goes as well when I install them today!

I feel sorry for you guys that have to have (and pay for) a service call just to get these cards. For once, Timewarner Houston turned out to be one of the better cable companies in the country, at least this time.
You don't have it working yet, don't count your chickens. I wish you the best of luck. But as I'm sure you read above, I've had mine for a week and it STILL isn't working yet (due to the crummy instability of the signal that TWC is sending me). Sure, they'll authorize cards for anything I want...doesn't mean it works though. PLEASE let us/me know how this goes for you. I'm curious if this a problem in my apt complex or across TWC's Houston network.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #162
Gene S

My Cable Card installation was this morning. I was prepared for the worst, but everything turned out fine.
It took about 50 minutes for him to be done. The longest part was waiting for someone at TWC the answer to phone to do the CC authorizations.

He had his phone on speaker, so I could hear what was going on. The TWC rep said to be patient, this was the first Tivo they've done. She seemed to be confused because there are 2 different Host-id's for the Tivo. That caused some problems because they had the CC & Host-Id pairings flipflopped at first.

The installer even had the memo that Tivo sent out on how to do the cc install. Although he didn't follow it. I told him to put the cards in, we waited until that grey screen came up with the CC info (took about 5 minutes), and he called in for authorization. Immediately after that, everything was working as it should be.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #163
Houtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrypennock
You don't have it working yet, don't count your chickens. I wish you the best of luck. But as I'm sure you read above, I've had mine for a week and it STILL isn't working yet (due to the crummy instability of the signal that TWC is sending me). Sure, they'll authorize cards for anything I want...doesn't mean it works though. PLEASE let us/me know how this goes for you. I'm curious if this a problem in my apt complex or across TWC's Houston network.
I'll let you know how it goes for me in NW Houston. Unfortunately, I've gotten a sudden call to go out of town for work...all my waiting for the Tivo to get here is wasted! They'll deliver the box to my wife who will let it sit there until I get back, hopefully by tomorrow some time. I'll try to get the box going then and let you know.
Houtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #164
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynyty
Yes.
First, you may not care, but resorting to analog channels with a top of the line HD box is insane.
Um. I'd rather have the analog channel since it's the unprocessed feed from the network instead of the compressed digital feed that the cableco has mangled to squeeze out some more bits. In fact, I'm pretty sure that when an analog channel also appears within a digital lineup, the box (or cablecard) just translates the channel number and shows you the analog channel. Checking the service menu in my cableco set-top box would confirm this, but noticing that digital-only channels always look worse than analog ones is enough to convince me.

HD channels are a different beast altogether. They are almost always carried unmolested by the cableco since they've already been compressed by the network so there's little to gain by the cableco recoding them.

Sorry to hear UniversalHD is switched in your market, but take heart in the fact that all I've ever seen on it is Knight Rider and OLD reruns of Monk and Battlestar Galactica. If you want to see Knight Rider in HD, you've got bigger problems

Too busy to play with an S3 right now but if I get out of jury duty next week maybe I'll have box #4 in Austin.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #165
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

I called TW in Austin to schedule my CC install (Friday afternoon). The rep on the line read something that popped up on his screen that said "We will be supporting Tivo CableCard installs" when I mentioned what I want it for.

He did read through the things that wouldn't work, but not to convince me, just reading what the screen prompted him to say.

When I asked about returning my DVR, he said, "but you won't be able to record anthing anymore...oh, TiVo...sorry, I'm slow."
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #166
freiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Too busy to play with an S3 right now but if I get out of jury duty next week maybe I'll have box #4 in Austin.

You snooze, you lose. I don't know what number we are at in Austin for S3 installs, but I was connected today at 1:30. I am having some issues with authorization and so I'm missing DSCHD, TNTHD, as well as 1501 (FOX HD) which is just odd. I get all other channels - except for 111 Boomerang and 232 National Geo (as noted by TWC - Austin previously.) 111 shows via Tivo as not available when I switch to it. The others prompt for auth using a cable card screen prompt.

I will be working through the channels later to verify what I receive and don't receive once they properly authorize my account.

Overall, pretty painless, but I noted the missing channels during install today and the woman on the other end of the phone with the installer said she would fix it. 5 hours later... still broken. Also, installer had a receipt with $131 COD on it. They didn't make me pay it, but I need to resolve that as well since I was quotes $60.

And I would except that I have been receiving a fast busy for the 1.5 hours from TWC - Austin support. This has happened before... it's like a bomb goes off and they just shutdown the call center.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
Old 09-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #167
clupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley42
TW Austin, fry's Box 3 of 3. :-) I have tested all of my channels and can still tune in to the upper channels of the supposedly SDV channels. Food, etc. I can't get to channel 13, which is weird but I really don't care. Still stuck with only 1 cable card, have an install appt for another tomorrow. I called today and asked them to bring 2 as the one I have won't tune into any Premium channels. I also have another appointment for thursday to troubleshoot the CC issue with an actual TW tech.
Another TW Austin question:

Are you able to get the 1600+ channels? I just got off a chat with a rep, and he said that the TW CCs won't get most of the HD channels (all of the channels from 1600+). Here's the transcript:

Aaron>
With the cable card it is used to replace the Cable box. But the technology on the cable card isn't near the boxes technology. With the cable card, you will not be able to view the On Screen TV guide(one of the main features of digital cable). Plus you will lose access to most of the HD channels you are paying for.
Aaron>
Also, you would no longer be able to order the PayperView or Movies on Demand
Aaron>
So even though you pay a little less ($4.00) you lose alot of the benefits of the Digital Cable
Chuckr>
Why would i loose access to the HD channels?
Aaron>
Because the Cable Card isn't able to pick up those channels. You still get the Local HD channels. But lose out on the ESPN, HD NET, TNT, etc.....
Chuckr>
Hmm, interesting. When will you have a cable card that will pick them up?
Aaron>
I am not sure. The overall technology has to be upgraded, and they are just becoming popular. Not just for Time Warner but everywhere else.
Chuck>
Is it essentially all of the 1600+ channels?
Aaron>
Your correct, almost all the 1600's

Last edited by clupher : 09-20-2006 at 07:37 PM.
clupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #168
freiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clupher
Because the Cable Card isn't able to pick up those channels. You still get the Local HD channels. But lose out on the ESPN, HD NET, TNT, etc.....

Lots of misinformation going around. I can only say this - When I tune my local HDs in the 1500's I get everything except 1501 (FOX). When I tune the free HD channels in the 1600's (Discovery and TNT), I can view the channels for 2-3 seconds and then the cable card throws an authorization error.

At least DiscoveryHD and TNTHD are on the wire. If they don't give them to you (and me), they are simply withholding the signal which is illegal per the FCC. It's a technological issues for sure - authorization. The signal is there. I can watch and hear it for 2-3 seconds, no problem. On the other hand, I can't see National Geo (232) at all which is purported to be a SDV channel.

485-5555 has been fast busy for me since 4:00PM so I haven't been able to rememdy my current problem (my cards are both saying Waiting for CP Auth) and I'm missing 111, 1501, 1617, and TNTHD.
Cable card installed 9.20.2006 @ 1:30PM

2x Tivo S2
Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #169
krille

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
I have TWC in Brooklyn coming this Saturday to install CC and am dreading it. Everytime I deal with these guys it's a nightmare. Originally when I switched from DirectTV back to cable it took them SEVEN visits to get it hooked up. One time they showed up at 5:55pm for a 2 - 6 appointment and said it was getting too dark to work. Unbelievable. I have no reason to believe that this Saturday will be any different. I hate being at the mercy of these guys.
Voodoo, I've got TWC Brooklyn coming to me (allegedly) on Friday. I'll post something to let you know how it all goes, assuming a) the tech actually shows up; and b) my S3 is FINALLY delivered tomorrow as scheduled.
krille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #170
frieze

TWC New York Install

Does anyone foresee any problems with my requesting two cablecard installations and not telling the CSR what they were for at all? I managed to get an appointment for tuesday and am tryign to remain sanguine about my chances for at least getting some work time in on that day.
frieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #171
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieze
Does anyone foresee any problems with my requesting two cablecard installations and not telling the CSR what they were for at all? I managed to get an appointment for tuesday and am tryign to remain sanguine about my chances for at least getting some work time in on that day.
I never had to share what device it was going in when I call. However, it appears policies have changed... many people are being asked what device as soon as they request 2 cards.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #172
BillyT2002
Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Tell them that you need them for two separate high-definition televisions. So what if you're basically lying to them to get what you want? If they get there and still give you a problem when they discover the TIVO series 3, tell them that they can either install them into the S3, or you will personally install the cablecards in the installer's ***. I'm sure they'll see it your way.

“I'm sorry. That was the hungry, dizzy Hulk, he comes on fast."
BillyT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #173
ahaley42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clupher
Another TW Austin question:

Are you able to get the 1600+ channels? I just got off a chat with a rep, and he said that the TW CCs won't get most of the HD channels (all of the channels from 1600+).
I am not. :-( I do not think this is correct. They're not SDV channels so why couldn't you get them? I talked to the TWA Technical Operations Supervisor, he came out to my house for my last house call to check out the Tivo. They hadn't seen one yet and had just gotten theirs from Best Buy. He didn't act like it was an issue to get those. He thought it was a cable card channel authorization. I've decided to get my second card working till I tackle that fight next.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #174
ahaley42

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiz
You snooze, you lose. I don't know what number we are at in Austin for S3 installs, but I was connected today at 1:30.
Well, from what I can tell we're at 4 just on this board. Seems like no one is getting premium content from Time Warner Austin. I should have waited a week but I'm glad I could pave the way. I ended up calling in a favour from the business side and calling the office of the ceo. I was about to go mad. I finally got connected up with the right people to help me but I still don't have my second card working. They seem to be having an issue getting one to bring out to me. I was about to go insane, but I couldn't make myself wait to get it. :-)
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #175
Eskimo Pie

Well, my TW cable card install today did not go well... two techs showed up and they were very friendly and did everything they could, but 2 hours later ended up leaving without getting the cable cards working. They only had 2 cards with them and I think it boiled down to one of the cards being bad but apparently there are NO MORE cable cards available anywhere in the citiy of Buffalo... They said they will call me as soon as a new shipment comes in.

Basically one of the cards just wouldn't receive ANY channels... we swapped the cards between the slots and they repaired everything over the phone and the problem followed the card to the other slot... They left me the good card but I unplugged it since a single cable card apparently cripples the device and leaves you with just one usable tuner... I'd rather have both tuners available to record OTA HD which I receive a fair amount of... Hopefully once they get new cards in they'll come right out instead of scheduling me for the next appt a week and a half out...

One really odd thing, when trying to setup the CC's, there were 3 CC menus, "CP something", "Diagnostics", and "host address" or something... going into the diagnostics screen would often cause the menus to wig out and keep refreshing on the screen or changing screens and stuff... it was acting as if there was a stuck button or something... I'd press 'clear' to back out and even exit the cable card setup alltogether and then all of a sudden the screen would flash and I'd be back in the cablecard diagnostic screen again... I'd have to back out of the menu 4 or 5 times before it would calm down sometimes... Anybody else ever have that issue?
Eskimo Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #176
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

please keep updates coming about tw austin. it's ridiculous you can't get the upper channels. i hate you tw.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #177
jglide

My cc install went well and everything appears to be up and running. I get every channel that I used to get with the STB from TWKC. The tech was here for 3 hours, but in the end everything is working great. Of course when he first saw the S3 he said the cc's wouldn't work. With a little "encouragement" he got started. So far so good...
jglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #178
ldc3000

Anyone got an install in Greensboro, NC ?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #179
zync
Long live TiVo

TWC Austin = Cluster F^&#

And I just found out that my neighborhood is ALSO wired for Cox. I'm trying to figure out if they'll be any better.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #180
infinitespecter

I just got off the phone with Time Warner in Claremont CA. Actually, might still be Comcast since I called that number. In any case, I had a nice long conversation with the guy on the phone about the intricacies of CableCard. He wasn't very informed and actually had a lot of questions for me about multistream and CC 2.0, which I found to be quite amusing.

I have one CC in my Sony DVR already and he wasn't sure if they could just transfer that one to the S3, so they are sending two out to be on the safe side. Of course, I wish I had known they couldn't come out for a week before I paid for overnight from Circuit City.
infinitespecter is offline   Reply With Quote