TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #121
lgoree

[B]TWC Manhattan transposed digits in model number[/B]

TWC New York has sent an internal memo to customer service reps requiring them to get the model number of the Series 3 unit before they will make an installation appointment for the cable cards. The internal memo lists two serial numbers that they will accept:

TDC64825 0A
TDC64825 0B

However, the correct model number is "TCD" and not "TDC." If you tell them that you have the correct model number, TCD648250B they will not set up the appointment.

The Customer Service guy (clueless) said that he would have to check with IT and will get back to me in one or two days before he could set up the appointment. Seems that they can't admit that they might have transposed some digits.
lgoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #122
Lisa898

I had the same issue with TWC Brooklyn.

Just call again and tell them what they want to hear. I got asked that model number thing last Friday. I called back an hour later and the next person didn't even ask me for a model number.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #123
ahaley42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley42
They suggested today, after once again swearing everything on that side was fine, that I email comments@twcable.com and that address bounced. nice.
I got my supervisor callback. I told him it bounced and asked if it was comments@twcable.com and he said yes. I said it bounced, he then looked it up and realized they'd been giving out the wrong address. It was comments@austin.rr.com. So I'm assuming these exist at all TW locations. Perhaps? Supposedly checked by the TW Technical Management team. I'm sure it's just some $5 an hour employee. He also seemed not at all interested in my issue and said it could only be solved by an onsite visit, my third. I told him I had a great signal and had a truck out here a month ago who replaced a lot of cable and cleaned up my signal. He still said that was the problem. Meanwhile I'm sitting on a Tivo channel strength of 97. Arrrgghh.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #124
comicsacrifice

I think we are all doing a good job of making our voices heard with TW. I called and spoke with a CSR and ended up being the one to explain how the new TIVO works, and why SDV sucks. Talked for a half hour.
comicsacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #125
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
I think we are all doing a good job of making our voices heard with TW. I called and spoke with a CSR and ended up being the one to explain how the new TIVO works, and why SDV sucks. Talked for a half hour.
When TWC stops giving us crap over trying to get CC's, allows us to pick them up at the counter and avoid $60 truck rolls, and stops deploying technology that breaks the CC standard then I'll feel that our voices are being heard....
Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #126
lgoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
I had the same issue with TWC Brooklyn.

Just call again and tell them what they want to hear. I got asked that model number thing last Friday. I called back an hour later and the next person didn't even ask me for a model number.
I was taught that it is OK to lie when asked: a) Do you like my hat? b) How do I look in these pants?

I will add to that list of questions, "What is your TIVO model number?"

I told them the model number with the inverted letters and sailed through that step. Although they had put a note on my file that I had provided the wrong model number previously, I told them that I had "checked with TIVO" and that now I had the right number.

However, then the Customer Service rep said that he could not generate any appointments due to a computer problem and asked if he could call me back when he gets an appointment time. I'm not confident that this will actually happen.

So, TWNYC really is the new NYNEX.
lgoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #127
comicsacrifice

Time Warner sucks. They are like a rabid dog with no leash. If the FCC spent one tenth of the time keeping these cable providers in line as they do censoring free speech none of this would be going on right now.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #128
TexasGrillChef

Well TWC screwed us over in "The colony" Texas. (North Side of Dallas, TX)

Last night (9-18) TWC changed our entire cable lineup. Deleted about 10 channels added about 25 new channels, Chaned out the order of channels, Duplicated some channels.

IE - For instance History Channel Now offered in "Analog" (Below 100) and "Digital" (Above 100)

So now my entire Channel Lineup with my TIVO is really screwed up. Tivo of course says it will take 5 days to correct on their side & get updated.

just glad I haven't turned in my TWC DVR just yet! Otherwise I would miss my "LOST". I won't stand for that! No way!

They upgraded our entire system even for cable modems. Not publicised but on my last internet test. i am getting 1.5mbs upload and 12mbs download in my area.

Oh well.

BTW) as far as Digital Switched Video Goes... If your in TEXAS Write Senator Kay Baily Hutchinson. She needs our support to propose a bill that will make it illegal for Cable Companies to use "Digital Switched Video"

Thanks

TexasGrillChef
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #129
Lisa898

Time Warner really does suck. I have never, in the 10 years or so that I've been a TW customer, had a smooth appointment. Except for once, all my appointments have been to restore service that had just gone dark for no reason. Generally at least two teams of service guys, multiple trucks and multiple appointments ensued. The last time, which was the shortest and smoothest appointment I've ever had, he was there over three hours, had to leave to go get the proper box he was supposed to be there to install and told me it was "not possible" to hook up the Tivo with an HD box. I just hooked it up properly after he left.

I pray daily for Verizon's FIOS service to someday get installed where I live.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #130
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
Time Warner really does suck. I have never, in the 10 years or so that I've been a TW customer, had a smooth appointment. Except for once, all my appointments have been to restore service that had just gone dark for no reason. Generally at least two teams of service guys, multiple trucks and multiple appointments ensued. The last time, which was the shortest and smoothest appointment I've ever had, he was there over three hours, had to leave to go get the proper box he was supposed to be there to install and told me it was "not possible" to hook up the Tivo with an HD box. I just hooked it up properly after he left.

I pray daily for Verizon's FIOS service to someday get installed where I live.
Perhaps Im an 'exception' but my dealings with TWC have been largely painless. We will see how my cablecard install goes on Friday......
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 PM   #131
freiz

I must agree with the last post - my dealings with the guy on the truck have been very good in the past, even with the subs TWC-Austin rolls now. Well, almost always very good. The idi0t they sent to install my cable phone did put this cheap .98 phone outlet in place of the 10 dollar, high-quality outlet I had installed. The gummy tape failed in the first 10 minutes and there it hangs today. They even called to ask how my install went and promised to send someone. Never did. This could be indicative of the loss of good service with their big move into the use of sub-contracters. I don't know yet. Luckily, the outlet sits behind of "wall" of boxes in my office so no exposed wiring.

We'll see how they do this Wednesday.
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #132
l_emmerdeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemoose
I think someone else said they went down to 23rd Street and were unable to get the cablecards. My appointment with TWCNYC is scheduled for Thursday and they are picking up 2 DVRs, bringing 3 cable cards (2 for Tivo and 1 for the TV so that I can get PIP) and a regular cable box for my series 2. (I had previoulsy had my Tivo hooked up to a HD DVR so that I could record HD when needed). Originally, TW wanted to charge me ~$70 for the visit , but I think I was able to get them down to the $30 fee for the truck roll. We'll see what really happens when the bill comes...
Well, i have the CSR's name, and if she ends up wasting my time with bad information, I'll be taking up the matter with her higher-ups there, and causing a HUGE scene in the store. I had her double-check to make sure I could pick them up. And I can't schedule a bloody appointment, because Tivo hasn't sent me a delivery notice/tracking number yet (and yes, I ordered last Tuesday, and this means I am one of the 200 lucky ones who got the special rear-ending, but I'm not complaining, just venting ).
l_emmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #133
freiz

Big Grin I've always been crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynyty
First, you may not care, but resorting to analog channels with a top of the line HD box is insane.
I do care, but what's a few channels among friends. Beats the alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynyty
Second, in my area, UniversalHD is a switched channel. Other areas may also having missing channels.
I think the solution for *all* of us is to file complaints with the FCC against our respective cable companies for non-compliance regarding cable cards. Everyone simply needs to dedicate 30 minutes this year to completing this task if you are missing even one channel.
freiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #134
jeffrypennock

My problem isn't signal strength, it's variability. I jumps from 97% to 0 back to 97% in the blink of an eye. I'm afraid that a signal booster isn't the solution (because 32x amplification of 0 is still 0). And because I live in an apt complex, the leads and wiring aren't very negotiable or modifiable, as far as TWC sees it. Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to save my S3?
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #135
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmX
LA area: Called tonight at 10pm, and they're coming out on tuesday. $25 install fee, $1.75 a month for the card. They said they had no way in the computer to tell the installer to bring 2 cards out at the same time, so I'm supposed to bug the installer guy when he arrives and see if he has an extra on him.
Odd.

I'm also LA area (Redondo Beach) and there is no install fee here. Also they didn't give me any trouble about asking for 2 cards...
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #136
comicsacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrypennock
My problem isn't signal strength, it's variability. I jumps from 97% to 0 back to 97% in the blink of an eye. I'm afraid that a signal booster isn't the solution (because 32x amplification of 0 is still 0). And because I live in an apt complex, the leads and wiring aren't very negotiable or modifiable, as far as TWC sees it. Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to save my S3?

you need new cable cards
Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #137
jeffrypennock

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
you need new cable cards
New cable cards will resolve intermittent/unstable signal issues? I've been through 3.5 already (I've picked up 4 but one of them was a dud and couldn't be authorized). I'll keep on going through them if that'll fix it.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #138
comicsacrifice

you need a new tivo box i meant.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #139
Bill@LakeGeorge

I just got off the phone with TWC schedule appt. for fri. afternoon no model # required and no issue with 2 cards I even got them to send the service guy I know. S3 to be delivered thurs. Get er done
Bill@LakeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #140
jglide

Just my .02. I picked up my S3 at Best Buy on Sunday...last one that they had in stock. I e-mailed TW Kansas City and told them I had purchased the S3...gave them the model number and the Cable Labs website. I asked what the cost was. TW Kansas City e-mailed me back yesterday and advised that the instal was $15.35 and the cost of the CC's was $1.75 each/month. Called a CSR to make an appointment for the CC install. I told them I needed 2 of them. She asked what model number the "TV" was...I gave her the S3 model number. The CSR then asked if both cards were going in the same "TV"...I replied yes. It was pretty painless...my appointment is set for tomorrow between 2 and 5. I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow evening. Keep your fingers crossed.
jglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #141
LostInAustin

Just an update for the Austin guys. I was able to tune in CNN, HGTV, National Geographic just fine, so I'm not sure where the SDV info is coming from. I'm guessing these channels are not SDV today, but that doesn't mean they won't be tomorrow.

ahaley42, I initially could not receive any of the channels in the HD package on one of my tuners. When I called TWC, the CSR said the system hadn't been updated to show that I had paid for the HD package service yet, so she said she "marked it as paid" and the channels instantly showed up on my end. I wish I had a better technical explanation of what she did. Not sure if that helps you with your premium channels, but in my case, it was more of an administrative problem than a technical problem with the cable card.
LostInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #142
Bill@LakeGeorge

My CC's $1.75 each/month no install fee CSR said they had to install for free.
Bill@LakeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #143
capngrouch

TexasGrillChef, are you having problems with premium channels? I am not able to get HBO, Showtime and ESPNHD at all, I get a black screen. All the local channels are working properly.

I called TW about the issue and verify they have the cards activated on my account, on there end all is ok. Maybe waiting the 5 days until TIVO catches up with the lineup change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef
Well TWC screwed us over in "The colony" Texas. (North Side of Dallas, TX)

Last night (9-18) TWC changed our entire cable lineup. Deleted about 10 channels added about 25 new channels, Chaned out the order of channels, Duplicated some channels.

IE - For instance History Channel Now offered in "Analog" (Below 100) and "Digital" (Above 100)

So now my entire Channel Lineup with my TIVO is really screwed up. Tivo of course says it will take 5 days to correct on their side & get updated.

just glad I haven't turned in my TWC DVR just yet! Otherwise I would miss my "LOST". I won't stand for that! No way!

They upgraded our entire system even for cable modems. Not publicised but on my last internet test. i am getting 1.5mbs upload and 12mbs download in my area.

Oh well.

BTW) as far as Digital Switched Video Goes... If your in TEXAS Write Senator Kay Baily Hutchinson. She needs our support to propose a bill that will make it illegal for Cable Companies to use "Digital Switched Video"

Thanks

TexasGrillChef

capngrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #144
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My (Minneapolis) cable guys were just here, and while it took a while (they had never done a TiVo before, and were unsure of themselves), in the end everything seems to be working perfectly.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #145
damonnoah

TWC Cable Card Install

Time Warner - Houston, Texas

Went by Time Warner yesterday morning and asked for two cards. No questions, no explanations. They gave me two cards, scanned them and charged me $1.75 per card per month.

They included a piece of paper on "how to" install the cards and gave me a local number to call during the hours of 8 and 5 pm. I installed the cards at 10:30 pm, called time warner and was transfered to Tier 3 support. Great support and great assistance. I'm still in disbelief about how helpful they were. We had problems installing the cards and getting them to work and the tech actually went onto some tivo forums and looked up some specific information to get them working.

I did have a problem with a blue screen "please wait acquring channel information" which lasted forever and we though teh cards were bad. With a little playing around and some luck they started working.
damonnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #146
l_emmerdeur

Follow-up on NYC:

I called again today to confirm that I could pick up the 2 Cablecards myself. of course, the very helpful gentleman actually DID check with others, identified the S3 as eligible for Cablecards (and double-checked the model numbers accepted with me) and confirmed that I did in fact need an installer to come to my house with the Cablecards. This only means that the previous CSR I spoke to was too busy doing her nails to bother to check on this matter for me, and she will be reported.

Earliest available date was October 4th, 7th for a Saturday.
l_emmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #147
VoodooNYC

I have TWC in Brooklyn coming this Saturday to install CC and am dreading it. Everytime I deal with these guys it's a nightmare. Originally when I switched from DirectTV back to cable it took them SEVEN visits to get it hooked up. One time they showed up at 5:55pm for a 2 - 6 appointment and said it was getting too dark to work. Unbelievable. I have no reason to believe that this Saturday will be any different. I hate being at the mercy of these guys.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #148
alee

TWCNYC is due here (Tribeca) sometime between 2-6pm. Spoke with the doorman a little bit ago and made sure that there was no question I'm home.

Let's see how the install goes.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #149
VoodooNYC

Please do post back with your experience so the rest of us can be prepared. Good luck!!
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #150
alee

TWCNYC stopped by and completed my cable card install!

Franklin (#262), the technician, walked in, noticed the S3 box and remarked that he's already done one and this should be a piece of cake. First thing he did was check the signal in all my rooms and at the cable modem, and replaced ALL my splitters (including the one in the wall that divided the signal between living room and bedroom). Then he replaced all my coax cable with thicker cables. He remarked on how a bad signal will cause all sorts of weird cable card issues and that things were not optimal in my apt the way it was.

He did his readings once again, seemed satisfied and pulled out 2 SA cards.

He then proceeded to do cable card 1 (took about 2 min for the host id info to show up), and then cable card 2 (another 2 minutes of waiting). Called into home base on his Nextel, which confirmed that he had inserted 2 cards and read back the last 2 letters of the card IDs for each card. He read off the Host IDs and that was it.

Both cards were activated in about 5 min, after which we checked all channels all the way up to the HD range (700 range on TWCNYC).

Signal strength was about 97 or 98 on the HD range.

I thanked him for his time, and for the pleasant installation experience. This guy was a real pro... knew exactly what to look for.

Last edited by alee : 09-19-2006 at 04:34 PM.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote