TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
SLCMike

S3 + Plasma = Useless Remote?

When I was setting up my S3, I had it sitting on the table that my 42 inch plasma is sitting on. I noted that my remote didn't work very well during setup -- only registering about 30% of my remote actions. This was true for both my old and new TiVo remote incidentally. I figured the problem had something to do with was the fact the S3 was sitting right in front of the plasma and the light from the plasma was somehow messing with the IR recevier on the S3. So I created a "hood" for my S3 with a blanket (high tech) and the remote immediately started working considerably better. I figured it was just a temporary fix until I moved the S3 next to my S2 under the TV.

Now that I have the S3 under the television (the TV is on a table with a shelf underneath for AV equipment) with no rigged up hood, the IR reception on the S3 sucks worse than ever! I would say that I only register 5% of my remote actions. It's infuriating! It makes using my S3 next to impossible to be honest.

It's very strange as my S3 is literally sitting right next to my S2. When I press the remote, I can instantly see the light on the S2 light up every time I press a key on the remote. On the S3 it lights up once in a blue moon. My first thought was "there's something wrong with the TiVo." However if I turn OFF my plasma, both the S2 and S3 light up at the same time -- every time -- when I press a remote button. This suggests that it is in fact the plasma that's causing problems.

Now the question... Is it still a problem with the new TiVo? Or is this a common problem with some IR receptors? Again, I've used my S2 for many years with no such problems. I am incredibly bummed that I finally got my S3 functioning only to find it nearly useless due to the remote being useless!

Any help would be appreciated.
SLCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
eisenb11

I've played with my S3 a little bit (more on Friday when I get my CCs installed)... I've been getting the impression that the IR sensor is not very sensitive.

I haven't had a chance to try, but I wonder if you need to have a more direct line between the remote and the sensor.

I also noticed that the remote seems to work better if I hold it so the top points towards the ceiling (but not straight up)...

Weirdness...
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
btwyx
Substantive Member

It works for me, I have a Plasma display, but I also use a Pronto. The Pronto's IR is notably strong.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
SLCMike

I've actually gone ahead and ordered another S3 from CircuitCity. (I have a store here locally, so it should be easy to return one of the two.) I will see if the new unit has the same problem or not. I'm guessing that it's some sort of IR related hardware problem on the new S3 given my S2 has / continues to work flawlessly. As ridiculously bad as the IR sensor appears to be, I have to believe something is wrong. There's no doubt there would be a load of complaints registered here if people were experiencing what I am. Will post again when I get the new unit and reactivate my CC's in it (arrrrrgh!)
Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
timmetro69
Vegas Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMike
When I was setting up my S3, I had it sitting on the table that my 42 inch plasma is sitting on. I noted that my remote didn't work very well during setup -- only registering about 30% of my remote actions. This was true for both my old and new TiVo remote incidentally. I figured the problem had something to do with was the fact the S3 was sitting right in front of the plasma and the light from the plasma was somehow messing with the IR recevier on the S3. So I created a "hood" for my S3 with a blanket (high tech) and the remote immediately started working considerably better. I figured it was just a temporary fix until I moved the S3 next to my S2 under the TV.

Now that I have the S3 under the television (the TV is on a table with a shelf underneath for AV equipment) with no rigged up hood, the IR reception on the S3 sucks worse than ever! I would say that I only register 5% of my remote actions. It's infuriating! It makes using my S3 next to impossible to be honest.

It's very strange as my S3 is literally sitting right next to my S2. When I press the remote, I can instantly see the light on the S2 light up every time I press a key on the remote. On the S3 it lights up once in a blue moon. My first thought was "there's something wrong with the TiVo." However if I turn OFF my plasma, both the S2 and S3 light up at the same time -- every time -- when I press a remote button. This suggests that it is in fact the plasma that's causing problems.

Now the question... Is it still a problem with the new TiVo? Or is this a common problem with some IR receptors? Again, I've used my S2 for many years with no such problems. I am incredibly bummed that I finally got my S3 functioning only to find it nearly useless due to the remote being useless!

Same problem here. Very frustrating. I, too, have a 42" plasma and my S3 is about 12 inches to the left of it in an open equipment rack. I'm probably eight feet away from the front of the S3 and the remote response is probably 50% at best.

I think I'll try a few experiments and see if I can shield the front of the S3 from the evil rays of the plasma screen.
timmetro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
SLCMike

I actually just ordered another S3 due to this issue. Hopefully it will arrive either Friday or Saturday. I simply don't believe that this problem is not an IR related hardware problem in the S3. My S3 is basically unusable. =/ I've had no problem at all with my S2 which is sitting directly next to the S3. I guess I will know whether it's a hardware problem when the next S3 arrives! I will post my the results when I've got the new box. (I suppose I don't actually have to reactivate the CC's for that box to test whether it works better thankfully.)
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
eisenb11

Just for fun, try pointing your remote towards the ceiling (but not at 90 degrees) with the back facing the S3.

This seemed to raise my success rate from about 50% to 80%... Let me know what happens when you try it.

If this really has an effect, I'm thinking the problem may be with the design of the remote control....
Old 09-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
abobrow

I know that plasmas emit ir noise. When I had this problem with a different device I was told to make sure the ir receiver sits behind the plane of the plasma screen. i.e., even if it's on a shelf under the tv, scooch it back a few inches. Maybe that will help, FWIW.
abobrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abobrow
I know that plasmas emit ir noise. When I had this problem with a different device I was told to make sure the ir receiver sits behind the plane of the plasma screen. i.e., even if it's on a shelf under the tv, scooch it back a few inches. Maybe that will help, FWIW.
Hmm, that could pose problems if the plasma is against the wall... can't move the tivo beyond that!

Sorta odd though that out of all my devices with IR, the S3 is the only one affected by this...
Old 09-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
fergiej
More hair, less 30lb

Using my URC MX-850 and an MRF-250 with a blaster taped to the IR port, I am getting at least 98% success rate! Still not entirely perfect, though. 'course not everyone wants to spend $500 for a remote...just sayin'...
fergiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
MikePeekskill

It's definitely a plasma thing -- same thing happened to me. You need to move the Tivo around (if possible) so that it's far enough away (and preferably behind) the plasma. As someone else stated, I use an IR repeater and have the Tivo in another room. But plasmas are notorious for screwing with the IR signal especially if the Tivo is near the front of the plasma. Hope this helps.
MikePeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #12
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
I've actually gone ahead and ordered another S3 from CircuitCity. (I have a store here locally, so it should be easy to return one of the two.) I will see if the new unit has the same problem or not. I'm guessing that it's some sort of IR related hardware problem on the new S3 given my S2 has / continues to work flawlessly. As ridiculously bad as the IR sensor appears to be, I have to believe something is wrong. There's no doubt there would be a load of complaints registered here if people were experiencing what I am. Will post again when I get the new unit and reactivate my CC's in it (arrrrrgh!)
A couple of things to consider.

Is the shelf above the TiVo and below the plasma made of glass? That would allow the interference to affect the TiVo.

Have you tried pushing the TiVo back further on the shelf so that it is shielded more from above? Or conversely moving it forward if it was back already?

Does the remote work it you are right next to the TiVo, but not further away?

Is the room very bright with lots of incandescent lighting, or sunlight?
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
SLCMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace
Is the shelf above the TiVo and below the plasma made of glass? That would allow the interference to affect the TiVo.
Nope. 1/4 inch slate tiles. None of the light emitted from the plasma would be coming directly at or down on the TiVo. Again, my S2 is literally side by side with the S3 and has no problems at all -- nor has it ever! That's why I'm of the opinion it's a hardware problem.

Quote:
Have you tried pushing the TiVo back further on the shelf so that it is shielded more from above? Or conversely moving it forward if it was back already?
The plasma is essentially against the wall. Unfortunately moving it really isn't an option in our current house. Nor is moving the TiVo really, not without doing some significant rearranging anyway. For the sake of science and this post I did in fact move our plasma forward of the plane of the S3. The problem became worse actually!

Quote:
Does the remote work it you are right next to the TiVo, but not further away?
Notably, it does *not* work particularly well, even at the 3 - 6 inch range. It still has the same issues so long as the plasma is on.

Quote:
Is the room very bright with lots of incandescent lighting, or sunlight?
Not at all. It's a basement room, small windows. Very little ambient light, effectively zero ambient light at night if the lights are off. (I've tested in all conditions.) As long as the plasma is on, there's an issue with the S3's IR. When it's off there's very little. I would be happy to blame everything on my plasma if the S2 (or any other A/V equipment, all of which sits under the plasma) had similar issues, but there are none.

To answer an earlier question about the remote... I know it's not a problem with the remote in my case, because the S3 exhibits the same behavior when I'm using either the old remote from my S2 or the new remote from the S3. Pointing the remote at the ceiling didn't seem to change my results any either.

I guess I'll know whether or not the plasma is to blame when I get a replacement S3 later this week! Thanks for all of your replies... I guess I can get a repeater or something if it turns out my plasma is to blame. Frustrating!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:

Seems to me you've answered your own question. Try using an IR repeater system with a plasma-proof IR receiver.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
SLCMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
Seems to me you've answered your own question. Try using an IR repeater system with a plasma-proof IR receiver.
Based on the fact my S2, DVD player, STB, TV, etc. have no such issues and are located in the exact same area as my S3, I find it hard to believe it's not simply a problem with the S3 to be honest. I've got another S3 on the way, so I suppose I will know whether it's a hardware problem soon enough.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #16
bferrell
Now in HD!

I've got my S3 mounted directly underneath (less than a foot of) my 42" HD Hitachi Plasma, and don't have any problems.

Brett
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #17
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

The title of this thread definitely caught my eye so I started poking around on Google for "ir plasma interference" and a quick review of the results shows it's certainly possible. I don't have either..S3 or plasma..yet, but this would make me worry about getting either.

Is the interference a result of the TV shining directly on the S3, or is it coming from a reflection off the back wall? What happens if you turn the Tivo box and try to bounce the remote signal off the wall?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
onativo

Had the same problem with my S3/Remote. Called TiVo support and they told me to do the following:

Remove all other remotes from the room (or put them in a closed drawer/cabinet). See if problem is resolved.

It worked for me. Something about certain remotes emitting IR signals (even when they aren't being used) and confusing the S3 box.

Brad
onativo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #19
NJChris
Moogs!

Is the protective plastic removed off the front of the tivo? I don't know if this can interfere, but couldn't hurt to ask.

The edge of it was hard for me to get a grip on.... I wasn't even sure it was there.. but it was.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
SLCMike

Just to follow up... I've just received the secondary S3 I ordered to replace the one that I believed was having IR issues that were hardware related. I ran it downstairs, placed it on top of the first S3 and, in short, it works perfectly. No remote / IR issues at all. It responds to the remote just as well as my S2 and the rest of my AV equipment. The IR "light" lights up at the exact same time the S2's when I press a button on the remote. Now I get to go through the joy of getting Comcast to reactivate my CC's for the new S3! =)

The build date on both my good *and* bad S3 are August 26, 2006 FWIW. If any of you are having IR issues like mine -- issues that none of your other AV equipment have -- I would suggest considering the possibility your S3 has an IR sensor problem. Mine clearly did. The original S3 goes back to CircuitCity tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #21
jetboy_jones

So now I'm worried that I could have an S3 with problem IR reception but because I don't currently have a plasma tv I can't test it. I guess I have to get a plasma now

P.S. TIVO, how about adding a Plasma proximity step to your hardware QA.
jetboy_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
bocktar

I'm using the S3 w/ a Sony KDE42XS955 plasma and have not experienced any IR issues. The room has windows and abundant daylight at times.
bocktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #23
tgbroom

Arrow Elite Plasmas

I have 3 S3's, 1 with 42" elite- having IR problems, 1 with 50" elite- having IR problems, 1 with Qualia Projector- no Problems....

did everything suggested to try and fix, also using IR repeaters with Plasmas, no luck.

So i have to freakin' return them? WTF?
tgbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #24
MichaelK

plasma's AND the backlights from directview LCD's can screw up IR receivers.

There's lots of info on the web about the plasma's.

I can attest personally to the issues with SHARP Aquos LCD's.

sounds like the OP's plasma might be only a tad bit troublesome such that it is enough to screw up a faulty receiver (in the bad tivo) but not mess up a good receiver (in the new tivo or the other devices)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:03 PM   #25
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbroom
I have 3 S3's, 1 with 42" elite- having IR problems, 1 with 50" elite- having IR problems, 1 with Qualia Projector- no Problems....

did everything suggested to try and fix, also using IR repeaters with Plasmas, no luck.

So i have to freakin' return them? WTF?

I found that not all plasma rated repeaters are equal.

I found the speakercraft targets work well. They work well at filtering out the background light from the plasma/lcd's but allowing the remotes to work well.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #26
tgbroom

never had any issues with previous S2's with everything else remaining the same, and in the same position.

kinda frustrating when trying to us remote....
tgbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #27
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbroom
never had any issues with previous S2's with everything else remaining the same, and in the same position.

kinda frustrating when trying to us remote....
readign the OP it seems clear that not all IR receivers are equal.

Might want to try and return it and see if a differnt S3 is better.

But might also be a different brand or style IR receiver in the S3 so it's more susceptible.

Dont know myself.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #28
MacGuruTX

LCD interference also

I'm having the exact same Problem but with an LCD...

Sharp Aquos 37"

Turn off the TV and the Tivo works great. With it on, its at about 1% reception.

I've tried covering the TV ir receiver, moving the S3 back and forth and over in relation to the LCD with no luck.

Turn off the TV and you get instant reception on the S3...
MacGuruTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #29
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
I'm having the exact same Problem but with an LCD...

Sharp Aquos 37"

Turn off the TV and the Tivo works great. With it on, its at about 1% reception.

I've tried covering the TV ir receiver, moving the S3 back and forth and over in relation to the LCD with no luck.

Turn off the TV and you get instant reception on the S3...

I have the exact same tv-- the backlight creates havoc for IR recievers. Apparently Sharp uses a full spectrum bulb or somethign for the backlights and they give off tons of IR that can drown out the infrared sent by the remote control. (how there remote isn't effected I dont know)

There's a couple things to try- adjust the setting for the backlight brightness. Turn it down all the way and see if that helps, then turn it up slowly to see when you get hosed.

If that doesn't work then you can use the speakercraft plasma proof IR repeater. It will set you back some scratch. I tried Channel PLus and one other brand and the speakercraft plasma proof target was the only one I could get to work.

Basically they have a little target, then you need a conroller block and then an emitter- they make little sheilds that cover their emitters if you want to leave the S3 out in view- you can attach the emmiteer and cover it with the sheild and hopefully only the inteded IR gets in to the S3's 'eye'.

When I first got the set it caused intermittent problems with my HDVR2 (SD directivo) and the various IR repaeters I tried to use to place the HDVR2 in an adjacent closet.

I finally figured out that I had the backlight set on the auto adjust setting- if it was pitch dark the backlight would be low enough that i had no issues (not enough stray IR to cause issues) . If it was daylight it wouldn't work with the HDVR2 but would work with the plasma proof repeater -with speaking to speakercraft tech support we finally figured out after much trial and error- and using the nightshot on my sony camcorder to "see" the IR interference- that during the day the backlight would be so bright as to trigger the electronic filter in the plasma proof target. In the middle, it was pretty much hopeless- too much IR interference to get stuff to work directly and too little to trigger the electronic filter in the plasma proof target.

(also helps somewhat to get the IR "eye" behind the LCD- but if you are hanging it on a wall that's basically not an option.)

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #30
ronfl

Cable card install finished today, and having the same irritating 50-80% failure on remote IR commands.

I called TiVo and they apparently have many calls on this, the agent I spoke with said he was forwarding my issue to "engineering". He said it's a known issue but they are not sure what is causing it. He suggested that it was my TV (Samsung 63" plasma), but my S2 sat right under the TV on the same spot where the S3 is with no issues.

He mentioned that they may be able to resolve with a firmware/software update. I'm debating on if I should send it back or wait? If I do want to send it back for an exchange, what should I say so they send a new one and pay the shipping.