Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #241
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Using the original remotes, set one to 1 and the other to 2, or 2-3, 3-4, just don't go higher than 5, the 880 has a problem with addresses higher than 5.
This procedure is in the manual of each TiVo.

Then I forget exactly how to set the 880 to those remote codes.
I know I found it via search on the 880 web page,
search for "multiple TiVo's" or "TiVo Addresses" or something like that,
and you have to point each original at the back of the 880 while connected, and it has you push 3 buttons on the original, then move onto the other.
I have it running 3 TiVo's in the same room right now, and it works perfect.

phox
I'm having a problem with this. I set my DirecTiVo to 1 and my S3 to 2 (or the other way around). When I went to the Harmony site (mine is a 680), it read the DirecTiVo remote just fine, but received no signal from the S3 remote, which remains resolutely 0 (causing some interesting unintended consequences). Is anybody else having this kind of problem?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 PM   #242
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
I'm having a problem with this. I set my DirecTiVo to 1 and my S3 to 2 (or the other way around). When I went to the Harmony site (mine is a 680), it read the DirecTiVo remote just fine, but received no signal from the S3 remote, which remains resolutely 0 (causing some interesting unintended consequences). Is anybody else having this kind of problem?
Not having an S3 in my posession, all I can suggest is try another address.

Memory being the first to go, I seem to remember having a problem initially with 1, 2 and 3,
so I tried 2, 3 and 4 and that worked.
I know I had a problem with my original addresses, 2, 6 and 8,
then found the hint to try addresses lower than 5.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #243
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Not having an S3 in my posession, all I can suggest is try another address.

Memory being the first to go, I seem to remember having a problem initially with 1, 2 and 3,
so I tried 2, 3 and 4 and that worked.
I know I had a problem with my original addresses, 2, 6 and 8,
then found the hint to try addresses lower than 5.

phox
Thanks, I figured it out by playing around and trying a different address for the D* box. I set the remote addy on the D* box to 5, it was at 2. Then I went to Harmony and did the confirm infrared commands script and everything works as it should now. Evidently address #2 didn't want to play nice and address #5 does.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #244
keenanSR

Quote:
Bob, I have the S3 set to addy 1 and the DirecTV HR10-250 to 5. At the Harmony site I had to play around with the angle a little on one of the TiVo remotes to get it to learn the commands, although I don't remember which one it was.

It works perfect now, so far anyway, and yeah, I was having some rather interesting unintended consequences as well before I got it working, it wasn't a lot of fun, that's for sure.

BTW, I deleted the HR10-250 from the Harmony and started from scratch adding it back after I had changed the addy on the box. Not sure if that made the difference or not, pretty sure it was using addy 5.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #245
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
I had this exact problem and fixed it by calling Harmony and had them change my S3 from 0 to 1 and left Directivo on 2. Harmony said they had to make this change, I couldn't do it on my own. I have a Harmony 880. having the harmony on 0 caused havoc
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #246
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Bob, I have the S3 set to addy 1 and the DirecTV HR10-250 to 5. At the Harmony site I had to play around with the angle a little on one of the TiVo remotes to get it to learn the commands, although I don't remember which one it was.
I think that was the issue. I changed the S3 remote to 5, and still had the same problem, but when I lifted the S3 remote so that it was aimed slightly above the Harmony, it read perfectly, and now everything works.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #247
keenanSR

Quote:
I think that was the issue. I changed the S3 remote to 5, and still had the same problem, but when I lifted the S3 remote so that it was aimed slightly above the Harmony, it read perfectly, and now everything works.
That's exactly what I did, had to aim it a little higher to get it to properly read the signal. Good to here you solved it. When I was initially setting up the S3 I hadn't thought about the S3 remote controlling the HR10-250. It seems that I must have put the HR10-250 through so many contortions that when I went to use it later on I kept getting a screen notifying me that it was shutdown due to a possible overheating condition.

Now, I knew that wasn't really the case as the HR10-250 has run flawlessly since I got it but I went through DirecTV tech support and even have another unit being sent out to replace this one. Turns out, once I solved the remote problem the HR10-250 is working perfectly fine now.

Last edited by keenanSR : 09-18-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #248
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
That's exactly what I did, had to aim it a little higher to get it to properly read the signal. Good to here you solved it. When I was initially setting up the S3 I hadn't thought about the S3 remote controlling the HR10-250. It seems that I must have put the HR10-250 through so many contortions that when I went to use it later on I kept getting a screen notifying me that it was shutdown due to a possible overheating condition.
Heh. After I finished the guided set-up for the S3, I noticed that one of my recordings on the DirecTiVo is now set to Save Until I Delete. If that's the worst that happened, I got off easy!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #249
Larry in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
I'm not sure what the fourth light is for. I've only seen it on when I first powered the machine up.
I think it indicates when a phone call is in progress. It doesn't come on during broadband connections, though, just actual phone calls.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #250
dnorth12

Regarding 30 sec skip

Quote:
Does the 30-second skip backdoor still work?
Yes. The SPS30S (Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select) code still toggles 30-second skip support on/off.
Never having used the skip before and now knowing how to turn it on, what button on remote activates the function?

I noticed one function that does not seem to work with the S3 that did work with S2 and S1. When you are in the fast forward mode and clicking the advance button on the S1 and S2 would advance about 5 or 10 minute increments. On the S3 it will only send you to the end of the program. Tried it with an S2 and S3 remote on the both S2 and S3 units. Anyone else notice this? Is this related to my question on the 30 sec skip?
dnorth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #251
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorth12
Is this related to my question on the 30 sec skip?
Yes. Activating 30-second-skip will change the advance button to move ahead in 30-second increments, instead of moving to the end of the program.

Whether or not 30-second-skip is activated, if you are fast-forwarding or rewinding, then pressing the advance button will move you to the next 15-minute marker.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #252
dnorth12

Quote:
Whether or not 30-second-skip is activated, if you are fast-forwarding or rewinding, then pressing the advance button will move you to the next 15-minute marker.
Amnesia - thanks for the response.

Then there might be something wrong with my S3. Pressing the advance button while in fast forward mode goes directly to the end of the program, even if it is 2 hour program and I fast forward and click the advance button at 10 minutes into the program.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #253
keenanSR

There was a PDF document somewhere that shows the S3 as being a CableLabs approved device. Does anyone recall where that might be?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #254
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
There was a PDF document somewhere that shows the S3 as being a CableLabs approved device. Does anyone recall where that might be?
Here:
http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #255
nhey

2 questions

1. Can you schedule recordings on the S3 over the internet, and if not, is that functionality going to be added soon? I wonder why that functionality was not included from the start, if it is not there now.

2. If you program the 30-second skip, you lose the ability to add a dash (since that is done by using the advance button) which allows you to tune to channels like 3-1. Is there a work around to get the 30-sec skip and retain the ability to add a dash?

Last edited by nhey : 09-18-2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add more.
nhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #256
nhey

MX-850 universal remote

I have an MX-850 universal remote control that I use to control a Directv HR10-250 as well as the Series 3.

Is there anyway to differentiate the TIVO code sets so that I don't control both boxes at the same time?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #257
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey
I have an MX-850 universal remote control that I use to control a Directv HR10-250 as well as the Series 3.

Is there anyway to differentiate the TIVO code sets so that I don't control both boxes at the same time?
See this to set the TiVos to IR code 1 and 2 and use "TIVO 1" (090) and "TIVO 2" (117) from the MX-850 preprogrammed database. You will also need to use the MX-850 learn feature to teach some of the codes that are not preprogrammed.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:40 PM   #258
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
1. Can you schedule recordings on the S3 over the internet...?
Yes, with TiVo Online Scheduling.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #259
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorth12
Then there might be something wrong with my S3. Pressing the advance button while in fast forward mode goes directly to the end of the program, even if it is 2 hour program and I fast forward and click the advance button at 10 minutes into the program.
Skip-to-tick only works in recorded programs. Are you saying this happens consistently during playback of a recorded program, or are you trying this in LiveTV?

Per lin 25 of What Do the Buttons on the TiVo Remote Do?
Advance jumps to the end or the beginning of the show if you are watching a recording. If you are watching live TV, you can use it to catch up to the live broadcast. While viewing a recorded playback, this button allows you to Skip to Tick when fast-forwarding or rewinding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #260
dnorth12

Quote:
Skip-to-tick only works in recorded programs. Are you saying this happens consistently during playback of a recorded program, or are you trying this in LiveTV?

Per lin 25 of What Do the Buttons on the TiVo Remote Do?
Advance jumps to the end or the beginning of the show if you are watching a recording. If you are watching live TV, you can use it to catch up to the live broadcast. While viewing a recorded playback, this button allows you to Skip to Tick when fast-forwarding or rewinding.
Thanks. You may be right - I'll double check when I get home tonight. Never thought of that while I was testing it. I know for a fact I was testing a recording on the S2. Don't remember what I was testing on the S3.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #261
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I get great HD over the air reception with just a Silver Sensor antenna thingy. I want to record two over the air HD programs simultaneously. Will the series 3 do that?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #262
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager
I get great HD over the air reception with just a Silver Sensor antenna thingy. I want to record two over the air HD programs simultaneously. Will the series 3 do that?
Yes, per the FAQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #263
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott
My display (Samsung DLP) won't accept 480i over HDMI. Can I still use Native or will SD channels get messed up? On my 8300 HD I pass it 480p, 720p and 1080i with pretty good results. Would love to be able to do the same thing w/ an S3.
720p hybrid displays all HD video at 720p and all SD video at 480p.
1080i hybrid displays all HD video at 108i and all SD video at 480p

When using hybrid mode, you may experience flickering as the TV changes when the format swaps. This can also cause the channel to change slower as the S3 changes output settings.

I personally utilize 1080i fixed to avoid the slowdown and flickering, although it is possible that some video will suffer slight degradation during upconvertion, but it hasn't been much of an issue.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #264
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
... 1080i hybrid displays all HD video at 108i and all SD video at 480p ...
I heard the 108i resolution isn't all that popular these days
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #265
dnorth12

Retested the skip feature properly and it worked properly. Thanks for the reeducation and the kick in the pants to read the manual before asking questions on something that is already covered.

30 sec skip works great as well and it is nice that it codes in the TIVO unit and not the remote. That way I don't have to learn the code to my Harmony. It just works.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #266
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
I heard the 108i resolution isn't all that popular these days
It's pretty popular with the video Ipod crowd.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #267
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
2. If you program the 30-second skip, you lose the ability to add a dash (since that is done by using the advance button) which allows you to tune to channels like 3-1.
No, you don't. The same code is sent by the remote, and in the context of entering channel numbers, the interpretation by the Tivo remains the same. Only the interpretation during playback changes.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #268
nhey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
See this to set the TiVos to IR code 1 and 2 and use "TIVO 1" (090) and "TIVO 2" (117) from the MX-850 preprogrammed database. You will also need to use the MX-850 learn feature to teach some of the codes that are not preprogrammed.

Thanks a lot. It does work perfectly.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #269
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Q: I get great HD over the air reception with just a Silver Sensor antenna thingy. I want to record two over the air HD programs simultaneously. Will the series 3 do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
Yes, per the FAQ.
The FAQ says it has one input for cable and one input for antenna and it can record two programs at a time from any mix of sources. So does this mean it can record over the air HD from the cable input in addition to the antenna input? Do I split my silver sensor to each connection or will I be able to record two over the air HD broadcasts if the antenna is connected to the single antenna input?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #270
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager
Q: I get great HD over the air reception with just a Silver Sensor antenna thingy. I want to record two over the air HD programs simultaneously. Will the series 3 do that?

The FAQ says it has one input for cable and one input for antenna and it can record two programs at a time from any mix of sources. So does this mean it can record over the air HD from the cable input in addition to the antenna input? Do I split my silver sensor to each connection or will I be able to record two over the air HD broadcasts if the antenna is connected to the single antenna input?

there's an internal splitter to 2 ATSC OTA tuners.

connect one antenna to the single jack and it does what it needs to do.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote