TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #31
ThePlungerMan

Charter in Long Beach Ca. just left, (EDIT: A LONG TIMER AGO) with the 2 card install. The installer was really cool, remembered me from 9 years ago. Donít get excited this doesnít end well. He kinda laughed when I told him where I wanted the two cards installed. He was like, OH MAN. Started to get on the phone, I was afraid he was going to ask his supervisor so I butt in and asked, whatís up?, then gave him the yada yada it will work talk weíve heard. I tell him if he called the card maker, the Tivo unit would be on the list as a compatible device. He says lets try and call it an experiment? The first card call in to Charter goes OK, but I get this Please Wait Acquiring Channel Information screen with the spinning wheel. I call Tivo support, tech say itís updating shouldnít take long, maybe a few minutes, maybe more. How long till I give up, he--- Unfortunately I donít know. Me---- When do you think I should give up thirty sixty minutes. HE----Call us back in a half hour.
I ask him, can I put in card two, he--- most definitely he says. We do and the call in screen comes up. We call in and it (card two) didnít go thru CharterĎs end. I said maybe since card one is talking to charter, charter cant talk to card 2. No he, the installer says. itís a number thing and tells me there are three sets of numbers. 2 pertaining to the card and one they have at charter that is supposed to match those two numbers. Which completes the cycle. So the installer says, it is either a bad card or it didnít get scanned right at the warehouse. (which is closed) so he said he would be back in the morning with two new cards. When I went back to the screen to see if card one is done acquiring info screen I get, this long error message, In a nut shell is says Unable to acquire channel info please check your cable connection and call your cable provider for further assistance. OR try again, I did try again, and same thing. Gonna call Tivo.

While clicking around Tivo troubles shooting I read, try to repeat set up without splitters. I have it split to the internet and to the Moxi. So I did. (REPEATED SET UP) Everything appeared OK, BUT when I went to live TV I got, the acquiring channel info message, again.

Called Tivo and he acted like he had no idea what to do. He said he was reading what to do. Never got anywhere. I told him about card one supposedly OK but card 2 had a problem. He suggested I repeat set up again with card one . To appease him, and you the reader, I said OK. He said he will work on the case file in the interim. I am now going to repeat, the repeat set up. Stay tuned. (over 3 hours elapsed time).

OK setup would not continue this time, the please wait thingamajig after the first call, (step 3ish) ((which was successful,)) never went away, it got stuck.
Took out card and repeated the repeat setup, AGAIN.
No problems with set up without the card but just 1-99 channels. No digital content, or HD etc.

Took out cable card and put in my cable card TV, called Charter and then the card worked, albeit barely, they said it would take 30 minutes for it to work right, got some HD an then lost it. They said that last time 6 months ago, but had problems.

Iím on hold at Tivo (1.5 HOURS )

Got a supervisor, got no where with the card install. Said he would get with the engineers and call me tomorrow.
Has anyone had or know of someone who has had a successful card install?
Over 6 hours.
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #32
ckoble

You just don't get it MitchW, do you? This is not new technology. The FCC has given Charter a compliance deadline. If you were to invent a converter box and it was cablelabs certified, the cable operators WOULD need to support it. You should read this whole thread and you'd realize that you are wrong on a number of issues.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole wait for Charter to solve the problem on their own. They need to hear that this is important to their customers. BTW, do you work for Charter? Cause you sound like a Charter CSR.

Any SA box or even MOXI box will never compare to the features that TiVo offers... if they did, well this conversation would be pointless... I would have one of those boxes in my living room, but the fact is that they don't.
ckoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #33
cotton168

OMG The Plunger Man! I cannot believe the hell you are going through. Please keep us posted as I am very interested in this because Charter is coming Friday!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #34
MitchW

Comparison of Scientific Atlanta and TiVo Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoble
You just don't get it MitchW, do you? This is not new technology. The FCC has given Charter a compliance deadline. If you were to invent a converter box and it was cablelabs certified, the cable operators WOULD need to support it. You should read this whole thread and you'd realize that you are wrong on a number of issues.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole wait for Charter to solve the problem on their own. They need to hear that this is important to their customers. BTW, do you work for Charter? Cause you sound like a Charter CSR.

Any SA box or even MOXI box will never compare to the features that TiVo offers... if they did, well this conversation would be pointless... I would have one of those boxes in my living room, but the fact is that they don't.
I am not a Charter employee. I do own a lifetime subscription on a TiVo S2 and also lease a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD. The software on the TiVo S3 is superior to the SA. However, the price difference is ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. That is a lot to pay for SOFTWARE. This is especially true since my primary interest in HD TV is to WATCH the programs - NOT play with the software. I have a computer where I play with software.

The disk capacity of the SA 8300 HD and the TiVo S3 are almost the same. However, the SA gets On Demand and Pay Per View programming while the TiVo does NOT. If the SA software was ever upgraded to be close to TiVo, then the SA advantage would be UNBEATABLE. So far as I know, SA is not prohibited from making software updates.

Finally, the SA is supported by Charter. The TiVo is not supported at this moment in time. Thus, I will retire my TiVo S2 and wait to upgrade to the S3 at some future date when the S3 disadvantages are corrected. If you want to argue with Charter and apply pressure to them, that is your privelege. I wish you luck.
MitchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #35
waharris007

The SA box may be a good solution for you, but there are many of us out here with a horrible Motorola Moxi box with buggy software and a tiny hard drive. I have this Charter DVR in addition to my ReplayTV unit, and I have to set everything to record on both platforms because the Charter box forgets to record shows and/or crashes so often.

Even more annoying is the fact that the Moxi will only store about nine hours of HD content. That's it--a dual tuner HD DVR that records a whopping nine hours. Seriously, if I have HD recordings going on both tuners, that means my hard drive will completely fill up in about four hours. There's just no excuse for that, in my opinion.

If Charter wants me to use their own box that badly, then they should at least provide a decent box, right?
waharris007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #36
cotton168

I totally agree waharris007. Charter should provide a better box, but then that would cost them more $$$ and they might not like that.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
MitchW

Sa 8300 Hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by waharris007
The SA box may be a good solution for you, but there are many of us out here with a horrible Motorola Moxi box with buggy software and a tiny hard drive. I have this Charter DVR in addition to my ReplayTV unit, and I have to set everything to record on both platforms because the Charter box forgets to record shows and/or crashes so often.

Even more annoying is the fact that the Moxi will only store about nine hours of HD content. That's it--a dual tuner HD DVR that records a whopping nine hours. Seriously, if I have HD recordings going on both tuners, that means my hard drive will completely fill up in about four hours. There's just no excuse for that, in my opinion.

If Charter wants me to use their own box that badly, then they should at least provide a decent box, right?
Request from Charter a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD. Some of its features are:

1. 160GB hard drive Allows recording and storage of up to 90 hours of SD programming or 20 hours of HD programming.

2. Allows recording of two live programs while watching a third prerecorded show.

3. External Serial ATA connector provides high-bandwidth connection to an External SATA hard disk drive for expanded storage space for recorded programs.

That hardware is almost as good as the TiVo S3 with a lease cost of just $ 11.99 per month.

Last edited by MitchW : 09-18-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Change lease price
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you sure about that price? My Moxi costs $16.95 per month thorugh Charter. Two CableCARDs and the TiVo service actually cost less then that.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #39
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW
That hardware is almost as good as the TiVo S3 with a lease cost of just $ 7.00 per month.
Hardware, yes. My MOTO 6412 from Comcast/TWC can do all that as well. But the software/interface simply sucks. I have to "think" too much to use it. And it constantly records re-runs even tho I specified not to...even the guide shows it as "repeat" (not in a text field, but in another place).

About the only thing I *do* like from it...it shows how full the drive is on the screen of scheduled recordings...it will say something like "67% full"...granted, I have no idea how accurate that is!
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #40
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW
Request from Charter a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD. Some of its features are:

1. 160GB hard drive Allows recording and storage of up to 90 hours of SD programming or 20 hours of HD programming.

2. Allows recording of two live programs while watching a third prerecorded show.

3. External Serial ATA connector provides high-bandwidth connection to an External SATA hard disk drive for expanded storage space for recorded programs.

That hardware is almost as good as the TiVo S3 with a lease cost of just $ 7.00 per month.
Yeah, I have one of those SA 8300 boxes. You forgot these features:

4. There are no tick marks, and therefore no way to skip quickly to a point way earlier or later in the show.

5. It doesn't remember where you were when you come back to watch the rest of a show later. You start from the beginning and have to find your place by memory.

6. When you're watching a show that's still recording, but watching it delayed ... when the live show ends, you're kicked out to live tv. When you find the now completed recording in the list and hit play, it starts from the beginning. (see #4 and #5 why that sucks even more). Particularly annoying is if it's a show that ran a little late or it's a sports show, now the ending (e.g. person kicked off Survivor) or score of the game is revealed to you.

7. When you go to start watching a show already in progress, it doesn't start from the beginning. It joins you at the point its at live. You have to rewind back to the beginning, averting your eyes so nothing is spoiled for you. See #4 for why this sucks even more. Don't forget, "feature" #6 will be happening shortly -- get ready for it to suck again soon.

8. No Season Pass manager, therefore no way to prioritize shows. Expect your kids frequenty-repeating-shows to sometimes take precedence over your on-only-once shows.

9. If there's a conflict, it will choose for you which one not to record. You have no control over this. Furthermore, sometimes it will decide to only record one or zero of the shows. It gets confused easily, it seems.

10. Shows sometimes just disappear from the recorded list. If you reboot, they reappear. But if you try to play them, nothing happens. Reboot again doesn't fix it. Once you realize the show has been lost, you'll probably delete it. But pay attention. When you delete it, another show on your list may also get deleted too.

I'll stick with Tivo, thanks.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 PM   #41
redrouteone
This Space for Lease

My 8300HD costs my 14.95 a month.

Charter is a freaking joke, you can never get the same information twice. Even the prices on the web site don't agree with what thing actually cost. They can't even give me the correct address for their branch office. I won't even get into the other problems I have with them.

I am to the point with them that I am considering moving and going back to DirecTV.
redrouteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #42
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's so weird because I've never had a problem with our Charter service. However I've gone through a few companies over the years (TCI to AT&T to Charter) so perhaps the local office has some more lax policies that have carried over from the previous companies.

Dan
Old 09-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #43
MitchW

My SA 8300 HD box is BETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bolling

4. There are no tick marks, and therefore no way to skip quickly to a point way earlier or later in the show.

5. It doesn't remember where you were when you come back to watch the rest of a show later. You start from the beginning and have to find your place by memory.

6. When you're watching a show that's still recording, but watching it delayed ... when the live show ends, you're kicked out to live tv. When you find the now completed recording in the list and hit play, it starts from the beginning. (see #4 and #5 why that sucks even more). Particularly annoying is if it's a show that ran a little late or it's a sports show, now the ending (e.g. person kicked off Survivor) or score of the game is revealed to you.

7. When you go to start watching a show already in progress, it doesn't start from the beginning. It joins you at the point its at live. You have to rewind back to the beginning, averting your eyes so nothing is spoiled for you. See #4 for why this sucks even more. Don't forget, "feature" #6 will be happening shortly -- get ready for it to suck again soon.

8. No Season Pass manager, therefore no way to prioritize shows. Expect your kids frequenty-repeating-shows to sometimes take precedence over your on-only-once shows.

9. If there's a conflict, it will choose for you which one not to record. You have no control over this. Furthermore, sometimes it will decide to only record one or zero of the shows. It gets confused easily, it seems.

10. Shows sometimes just disappear from the recorded list. If you reboot, they reappear. But if you try to play them, nothing happens. Reboot again doesn't fix it. Once you realize the show has been lost, you'll probably delete it. But pay attention. When you delete it, another show on your list may also get deleted too.

I corrected the lease price. It should be $ 11.99 per month.

With my SA 8300 HD the following have been implemented (not all boxes may have this software version from what I understand):

I can choose to only record NEW programs. If I hit STOP, the exact time of the program so far is displayed. I write it down and can start again from that point at a future date. Also, from the STOP screen, I can start from the point I left, the beginning or the end and use Fast Forward or Fast Backward to reach my point. If I am watching a recorded program and TWO new programs start recording at once, I am bounced to one of the new programs. However, I can return to the old recorded program at exactly the SAME point I left. The bookmark is not removed unless I turn off the SA. If I schedule three programs to record on the same date and time, I am given a choice of which of the three to not record. I can choose to have the oldest programs erased if I exceed the disk space. I can measure EXACTLY the amount of disk space used. A Season Pass (All Shows) is available for every selection. Shows NEVER disappear from the Recorded List unless you use the 14 day or other limit and the date passes.

This is still not as good as TiVo software AT THE MOMENT. However, I only pay $ 11.99 per month lease and the TiVo box would cost me $ 1,000 (including the lifetime subscription upgrade). I understand that Scientific Atlanta is allowed to upgrade their software as well as TiVo is allowed to upgrade their software.

Plus, I can get On Demand and Pay Per View which are both very important to me. The first has hundreds of FREE, new movies and programs. The latter has new movies which have recently appeared in theaters. All these programs have PERMANENT bookmarks which are preserved for 24 hours. They can also be Fast Forward or Fast Backward.

Finally, Charter is adding new features to the SA all the time. As I understand it, Cable Cards will NEVER receive these new features.

However, I will still upgrade to the S3 at a future date when the TiVo problems and price have been corrected to fit my objectives.

Last edited by MitchW : 09-18-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #44
ckoble

Update:
I spoke with the Senior Vice-President's assistant this morning... she was very nice and wanted to help. She told me that she would get back to me by this afternoon. As promised, she called back at about 1:30 and told me that she spoke with a senior technician and they are opening up a call with Scientific Atlanta to figure out why the cards are not working with the S3. They sent another tech (Alfredo) who said he would keep me personally informed of their progress. He said that he visited another Charter customer yesterday who had the same exact problem. So there are at least 2 of us in Long Beach. I am satisfied with the action that Charter has taken thus far. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #45
cotton168

Very nice ckoble! Thanks for the update and I hope everything works out well for you. How did you contact the Senior VP's assistant? I might need to go that route if Charter cannot fix this problem and starts giving me a hard time.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #46
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Glad to hear they are moving forward, even if it took a lot of work on your end. Hopefully your effort will help solve the problem for everyone. I have Charter too (although maybe it will be different in different parts of the country), so I'm watching this thread.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #47
joewmaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
That's so weird because I've never had a problem with our Charter service. However
What you need to understand is that Charter is actually a lot of independent cable providers blanketed under one name. It's not like a franchise where every shop is standardized. The company I work for did sales work for a number of Charters in the North East. Every shop had different reporting requirements. Made my job a PIA . Our local Charter used to be a Bresnan Communications. Luckily I've always had good luck with the local cable company. I even got a refund when I pointed out they had been overcharging me for 2 years
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #48
Tippy

I hope you all will keep us updated about any progress with Charter. I also have a SA 8300HD that I would really like to dump. My S3 should be delivered tomorrow and I have scheduled a Friday visit to install the two CCs. Wish me luck!

I actually had one CC installed last week in a new HD TV. That went pretty well but I'm missing two of the HD channels. They are coming out Thursday (they couldn't schedule both visits in one day - go figure) to diagnose that problem.

Tippy
TiVo Series 2 - Upgraded to 250GB
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #49
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Update:
I spoke with the Senior Vice-President's assistant this morning... she was very nice and wanted to help. She told me that she would get back to me by this afternoon. As promised, she called back at about 1:30 and told me that she spoke with a senior technician and they are opening up a call with Scientific Atlanta to figure out why the cards are not working with the S3. They sent another tech (Alfredo) who said he would keep me personally informed of their progress. He said that he visited another Charter customer yesterday who had the same exact problem. So there are at least 2 of us in Long Beach. I am satisfied with the action that Charter has taken thus far. I'll keep everyone updated.
I was that guy.

See post #31 for the beginning, a long sad story indeed, but wait thereís more. Charterís Alfredo came back , (the nice guy) senior tech with two new cards this morning. I AGAIN repeated set up, I was on the step for the cards when he got there. (In my previous post I wrote about all the different methods I used and calls to tech support 4 both Charter and Tivo.) The first card was paired, (headquarters lingo at Charter) but the second one didnít. But the third one did, (paired up again) And like B4 the acquiring info screen came up with a big spinning wheel in the middle. Alfredo said sometimes it can take 8 hours for the cards to work right.
So I left the house and came back 3.5 hours latter. Still spinning wheel message. Called Tivo. The Sup. Tech said HMMMMMM, it shouldnít take that long. I say, what now, let it spin for 8 hours and see what happens? he says yes, I come home 5 + more hours latter and turn on the TV and YESSIRREEBOB, The screen for test channels up and down was staring at me, I test 10 channels starting with 2. Getting them so I continue set up. It goes thru to the end. Says I can watch TV> So I press live TV and get a black screen with a blue screen down at the bottom stating Ď No channel availableí I check other channels. no go.
The tech per an earlier conversation this morn said he was calling me up tonight at 7ish. Gonna call Charter for a re-fresh on the card and wait for his call. Will update.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #50
ThePlungerMan

30 minutes after last post did get some channels. But no digital and only Universal HD. Tivo tech called me back, we tried rebooting, I did try the re hit the card before and after this reboot. After last reboot Tivo tech said get another refresh, (which Charter told me to reboot, and did), still only some channels.
At my suggestion, he agreed to wait till morn to see. But Tivo tech said it shouldnít take as long as it did to see the channels, as in there should be no trickle in of channels as per his Tivo info, but admitted it could, maybe wrong.
Will update

P.S. I need a hug.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #51
waharris007

Ack. Okay, I bit the bullet and just ordered an S3 with the 10% off coupon from Circuit City. It should be here Wednesday. If I find that the Charter cable cards aren't going to cut it, I'll just return it and move over to the DirecTV way of life. This Charter DVR has GOT to go, one way or the other!

Fingers crossed! Calling Charter now for the cable card order...
Old 09-19-2006, 12:43 AM   #52
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlungerMan

P.S. I need a hug.
Hey Plunger Man! Here's your hug! Please keep us updated.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #53
waharris007

Update: My S3 is set to be here from Circuit City on Wednesday. I just called Charter for the cable cards. I had been told previously from a tech that I'd have to install the cards myself if I wanted to use them in a Tivo. However, when I called to place the order, I just said I needed two cable cards installed and she said okay. She never even asked what I was going to use these cards in. She offered a Wednesday install, but I chose Thursday instead to make sure I have time to do the S3 setup beforehand. I guess I'll find out on Thursday what the deal is. I'll report back then.

Plungerman--you're awesome. I'd give you a hug if I weren't such a darn manly man.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #54
TiVoPhish

Quote:
You must have an old version of the SARA software. Newer releases fix/ed a lot of these issues.

Quote:
There are no tick marks, and therefore no way to skip quickly to a point way earlier or later in the show.
Agree it's a bit annoying, but hitting the FF/RW 4 times propels you into super-duper fast mode. You can get to where you want VERY quickly.

Quote:
It doesn't remember where you were when you come back to watch the rest of a show later. You start from the beginning and have to find your place by memory.
Partially true. If you are watching a recorded program and switch to live TV (by changing the channel) you can return to the DVR channel and be right where you left off (and it automatically pauses when you change channels). If you switch to another recorded program though, it will lose your spot (wish they'd find a way to fix that).

Quote:
When you're watching a show that's still recording, but watching it delayed ... when the live show ends, you're kicked out to live tv. When you find the now completed recording in the list and hit play, it starts from the beginning. (see #4 and #5 why that sucks even more). Particularly annoying is if it's a show that ran a little late or it's a sports show, now the ending (e.g. person kicked off Survivor) or score of the game is revealed to you.
No longer true. You are NOT kicked out because the show you're watching (that is still recording but delayed) ends. This was fixed a few versions ago I believe. I've had the SA8300 for quite a while now and NEVER had this issue.

Quote:
When you go to start watching a show already in progress, it doesn't start from the beginning. It joins you at the point its at live. You have to rewind back to the beginning, averting your eyes so nothing is spoiled for you. See #4 for why this sucks even more. Don't forget, "feature" #6 will be happening shortly -- get ready for it to suck again soon.
No longer true. There is a "start from beginning" option now when you go to watch a show currently being recorded (or any show). There's also a "skip to end" option for shows already recorded.

Quote:
No Season Pass manager, therefore no way to prioritize shows. Expect your kids frequenty-repeating-shows to sometimes take precedence over your on-only-once shows.
Agree with you on this one, and it's one of the things I've missed about TiVo. For me it hasn't been a huge problem, but a problem none-the-less. You also can't cancel just one episode of a season pass. I end up with a lot of repeats being recorded just to play it safe, and yes, it can be annoying with shows in syndication.

Quote:
If there's a conflict, it will choose for you which one not to record. You have no control over this. Furthermore, sometimes it will decide to only record one or zero of the shows. It gets confused easily, it seems.
Only partially true. If it detects a conflict at the time you are setting up the recording it gives you the options on which show NOT to record. If a conflict comes up later because of a schedule change it doesn't prompt you, it decides for you. You can't set priorities.

Quote:
Shows sometimes just disappear from the recorded list. If you reboot, they reappear. But if you try to play them, nothing happens. Reboot again doesn't fix it. Once you realize the show has been lost, you'll probably delete it. But pay attention. When you delete it, another show on your list may also get deleted too.
Now that's one I haven't run into at all. My 8300hd has yet to miss a scheduled recording or delete anything on it's own. The bug I do see is scheduled recordings from months ago still appear in the scheduled recordings list (even though the shows were recorded, or NOT recorded because they didn't air as scheduled).

Quote:
I honestly would have, but I didn't want to keep waiting for them to get into the HD game when I've had an HDTV since 2001... and since the 8300 worked well enough when we got it we finally jumped into a 56" HDTV, so we now have 2 HDTVs. I was tired of waiting.

Admittedly, the Box and DVR service (yes, cablevision charges for it) cost me about $16.00 per month. That's 50 months (or a little over 4 years) worth of service/equipment before I hit the price of the new S3 TiVo... NOT including TiVo's monthly service. Let say I buy their new special -- $299 for 3 years of service. That means I'd have to have my 8300hd for a little over 68 months (or almost 6 years) before I hit the TiVo + service price.

Is it worth the price difference? I'd LOVE to go back to TiVo, but husband and I agree not for that much more money right now. I also think that in the next 3-5 years there are going to be big changes to the cablevision market (I'm watching for FIOS in my area) and with how other brand DVRs improve.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #55
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds like the SARA software is about on par with the old TiVo 1.2 software. It didn't have a SP manager or skip to tick, and in order for it to remember where you were in a program you had to manually pause the program before you exited. If you accidentally just hit TiVo or Live TV to exit when you can back it was at the beginning again.

Dan
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #56
TiVoPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Sounds like the SARA software is about on par with the old TiVo 1.2 software. It didn't have a SP manager or skip to tick, and in order for it to remember where you were in a program you had to manually pause the program before you exited. If you accidentally just hit TiVo or Live TV to exit when you can back it was at the beginning again.

Dan
Like I said above, if you are watching a recorded program and switch to live TV it automatically pauses the recorded program, and when you switch back to it, it's right where you left off. Where it gets annoying is if you switch from one recorded show to another. If you go back to the first recorded show it only gives you the option to start from the beginning (or skip to the end)... not to start where you left off.

I've had TiVo since way back when (S1 and S2), and the SARA software isn't like that at all. No doubt TiVo has a better interface, better search, and better conflict resolution, but I can honestly, for me, it's not worth the price right now... especially with all that's going on in the industry at the moment.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #57
ThePlungerMan

I emailed Charter support this last night
I bought a Tivo DVR that needs your cable cards. I have had an enormously bad time trying to get these to work over the past two days. Alfredo, (very nice tech) had two cards that wouldn't pair up, two that couldn't acquire channel info, and two more that get only some channels. I have spent over 10 HOURS trying to get this DVR to work. I have been on the phone with Tivo and you guys. It appears through countless discussions with your guys and engineers comments at Tivo, it's the cards. I have read may many posts in a forum about this and come to the same conclusion. I have a TV that takes cards and the cards never worked in them as well. It appears that the cards aren't initialized correctly on your end. When I call you for help, the CSR I get tell me many different stories on what they do what they don't, etc. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on your cable service over the 15 years in Long Beach and deserve some real help to get to the bottom of this problem, once and for all.
Thank You
and got this response.

Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. My name is Chriss and I am glad to assist you.

I certainly understand that you bought a Tivo DVR and you need a cable card.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Please be informed that the Charter Cable card is to be programmed before installation. Further, we will need to schedule a technician to come to your home to replace the cable card. Please get back to us with the available dates and time to fix an appointment. You may also contact our Customer Care team via live chat option located at our website: www.charter.com or via phone at 1-866-499-8080.

For further assistance, I would suggest you to contact our Customer Care team either via live chat option located at our website: www.charter.com.

If you have any additional questions, please do write back to us. We are glad to assist you.

Sincerely,

Chriss
Charter Communications.

Iím emailing this back
Iíve already gone thru two tech in home apts. And still no good. The tech called me just now. Says he's going to the top of the food chain and try to figure this out. Will call me latter today or tomorrow.

Side note: since Tivo in their defense is actually trying to figure this out if itís the card or the box, since I got past the spinning wheel and did get some channels it appears to be the cards. (I suggested to him, the tech, a theory)
Itís like Charter doesnít want this to work so like in a conspiracy they act like their trying to fix it but are purposely not doing what they know would work, (or purposely not training the techs, and the office), on how to initialize the cards correctly. I also told Tivo this and he said yeah thatís possible.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #58
ckoble

PlungerMan,

The contact that I have made at Charter is Carla -- her number is (310) 971-4249. You may want to "register" your problem so that Charter knows how its customers feel about this issue. For everyone else this is the number to the western regional office -- so it won't do you any good if you are outside of California, Oregon or Washington.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #59
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

hmpf...this does not bode well... I have an appointment on Thursday at 8:00am PST with Charter in the Los Angeles area (Glendale, CA), I'll keep you all posted as to what happens...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #60
MitchW

Why I WAIT

Quote:
PlungerMan,

The contact that I have made at Charter is Carla -- her number is (310) 971-4249. You may want to "register" your problem so that Charter knows how its customers feel about this issue. For everyone else this is the number to the western regional office -- so it won't do you any good if you are outside of California, Oregon or Washington.
Ckoble,

This is the reason I still wait. I don't want to go through these problems. I use Charter and am perfectly satisfied with the SA 8300 HD. I have to be convinced that the $ 1000 total price for the S3 is really worth the money. So far it is NOT.

While everyone here is waiting for the Charter / TiVo fix, I just ordered a second Sony HD 32" TV. Its going to get the SA 8300 HD as my first HD TV has now. I always have until 12/31/06 to still get the lifetime upgrade. If things are not in shape by that time. I will forget TiVo until the S4 comes out.