TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #151
cr33p

My install on wednesday will be 15.50 and no additional charges for cards or programming, adding HD service to my acct wont add any additonal channels right? Since they are transmitted across the line anyways right?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #152
Omnius

For the second day in a row, Comcast sent out a "contractor" rather than an "in house" tech and brought NO cable cards. I cannot put my disdain for Comcast into words any more.
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #153
amjustice
FINALY HD w/Series3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
My install on wednesday will be 15.50 and no additional charges for cards or programming, adding HD service to my acct wont add any additonal channels right? Since they are transmitted across the line anyways right?
You might still have to pay $5 a month for the HD stuff, I am not sure though since we already had a box with HD and will keep paying for that since the wife likes the On-Demand stuff
Old 09-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #154
cr33p

Well the way I look at it is that my tv tunes hd already and i recieve those channels without paying for any additonal programming so wouldn't that be the same for the Tivo ?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #155
keenanSR

Santa Rosa CA(SF bay area)

Install went very smooth, only had the 161-4 error code on the first card but after that everything else went smoothly.

Presently being charged 2 x $6.95 per month for the cards as I still have the Moto 6412 which will be going back soon. Installation was $15.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #156
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Csr told me they can not and will not install in to a machine they dont support,
TiVO has a number you can call to help with this sort of thing. I think there was an example earlier in this thread. They'll conference in with the cable company and explain why what they're saying is BS. The number is floating around here somewhere.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #157
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould
then he mentioned $6.95 addnl outlet fee-!
which I started complaining about, then realized I still had my HD-DVR STB, so the Tivo *IS* a 2nd outlet. (oops)
Comcast's cable card FAQ says you can have a STB for free if you have cable cards, they want you to be able to order their PPV.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #158
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
TiVO has a number you can call to help with this sort of thing. I think there was an example earlier in this thread. They'll conference in with the cable company and explain why what they're saying is BS. The number is floating around here somewhere.
I'm interested in that number as well because as soon as I return the 6412 I know I'll be having a "discussion" with them about it. Probably have another "discussion" about dropping Digital Classic as well. "Them" being Comcast of course.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #159
btwyx
Substantive Member

Mountain View, CA. The install went smoothly. But, the guy didn't turn up when he was supposed to, and he couldn't get through to the people to authorise the cards (took about 5 min) who then took their time authorising the cards (about another 10 min). The 161-4 error also popped up, but I'd read I could ignore that (and quoted that to the installer).

So the install was the usual cable company BS, but the cable card part of it was pretty smooth.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #160
keenanSR

Quote:
Comcast's cable card FAQ says you can have a STB for free if you have cable cards, they want you to be able to order their PPV.
Do you have a link to that particular FAQ?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #161
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
Just to reiterate, there is absolutely nothing special that Comcast has to do to make this work. They may think there's something special or unusual, but there isn't.
This may be dependant on whether you local area is a Motorola or a Scientific Atlanta site.

For Moto areas, they have to enter pairing information into the Access Controller in the headend. This pairs the CableCARD to the host. They do this to prevent you from taking you CableCARD over to your buddies house for the big game.

We you in an SA area?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #162
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
We you in an SA area?
I don't know what equipment they have in the headend, but our cable boxes are Motorola, and the cable cards I have are Motorola.

Also, even if they do have to enter something at the headend, they'd have to do the same thing for a Cable Card TV, right? That's my point -- not so much that they don't need any information, but that what they need is no different than it would be for a Cable Card TV.
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #163
ah30k

Quote:
I don't know what equipment they have in the headend, but our cable boxes are Motorola, and the cable cards I have are Motorola.

Also, even if they do have to enter something at the headend, they'd have to do the same thing for a Cable Card TV, right? That's my point -- not so much that they don't need any information, but that what they need is no different than it would be for a Cable Card TV.
You're right, they do have to do the same thing for a TV. The pairing is needed.

Maybe your headend has older headend gear that was prior to them requiring pairing.

CableCARD ID = AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-c

Host ID = EEE-FFF-GGG-HHH-c

Data Field
• This is a unique randomly generated value created during the CableCARD/Host pairing process. This value is a private security data authenticator utilized by the Motorola Conditional Access System in performance of the functions specified in the CableCARD Copy Protection System specification.

Unit Address = III-JJJJJ-KKKKK-LLL
• This is a unique 16 digit decimal value representing the unit address of the CableCARD with the LLL representing the checksum.

Last edited by ah30k : 09-18-2006 at 03:51 PM.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #164
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
This may be dependant on whether you local area is a Motorola or a Scientific Atlanta site.

For Moto areas, they have to enter pairing information into the Access Controller in the headend. This pairs the CableCARD to the host. They do this to prevent you from taking you CableCARD over to your buddies house for the big game.

We you in an SA area?
It also depends on the head end system software ... billing system software, etc.

Motorola DAC 2.70 to 2.80.9 didn't require the host pairing information to be entered. Motorola DAC 2.97 and beyond does.

Similarly, there's some differences in the different SciAtl system releases ...

Edit: oops ... smeeked
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #165
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Just for fun ... here's a little factoid.

If you didn't have to provide Comcast with the host pairing information ... if / when they do upgrade their head end system software to something more recent you'll probably have to call up and give it to them (that will be a fun upgrade).
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #166
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
If you didn't have to provide Comcast with the host pairing information ... if / when they do upgrade their head end system software to something more recent you'll probably have to call up and give it to them (that will be a fun upgrade).
Yes. I can't wait
Old 09-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #167
Jazhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by batguano
Now here's the part that really kills me: his reply is, "Well, the Cablecards are free, but there's a $6.95 charge to used them. All those people who think they're getting them for free are going to find another line on their bills for $6.95 a piece per month. It won't be called CableCards, but it'll be another outlet charge or something." That's as near to a direct quote as I can recall.
Sigh. This is why Comcast != good for my health. My local Comcast (NE Florida) seems to be very good about tacking on extra charges after the fact, without disclosing them ahead of time. Even after you argue them into backing down, they tend to "forget" to credit them, and/or make you pay said charges up front "and then they'll be credited on your next bill."

I eagerly await everyone's billing reports within the next month.
Jazhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #168
jetforme

San Carlos, CA: I thought I was going to be able to get my TS3 last weekend, so I called Comcast to pick up a couple of cards. They told me that the local office did not have them, and that a tech was required to install them. I tried to let them know that this was hardly necessary, but they said that's the way it is.

On a more positive note, they did indicate that the installation charge was small (less than $25) for both cards, and that there was no monthly rental fee. That was very nice. It occurred to me that renting a card at $5.95/ea/mo was more expensive than renting the crummy moto PVR, so I was pleased to hear that there was no charge.

Now, here's the thing: the guy is scheduled to come out on Friday to "install" the two cards, but I still can't get a TS3. I have a slot in my TV, so that will accommodate one card, but hopefully he'll just leave the second card there.
jetforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #169
Larry in TN

Quote:
And my Tivo will tell them the different #'s right?
Well, the TiVo doesn't tell the cable system anything. The TiVo is not a two-way device. The required information is displayed on a couple of screens which come up automatically when the cableCARD is inserted or can be accessed from the setup menus. You, or the installer, will read numbers from those screens to the cable company for them to enter into their system.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #170
Larry in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice
did you plug in the ccs right away before even pluging it in, or did you go through guided setup first
My understanding is that it will work either way.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #171
Omnius

I'm now pushed off to Oct 5th. Its unbelievable how inept Comcast is, at least in my area.

Here is some advice from my experience over the past week:

1. Don't try to do too much at once. If you want to turn in your current DVR and get cable cards for the TiVo, skip the part about turning in your current DVR and stick with the cable card part. Once you get the cable cards, ask the installer if he can take the DVR back with him. If not, either call for a separate appointment to pickup the DVR, or drop the DVR off yourself at a payment center.

2. Make them make a note on the work order that it requires an "in house" tech rather than a contractor. At least in my area, contractors are not allowed to install cable cards. They can not directly specify on the work order which type of tech to send out, it is up to the "dispatcher" in your area to send out the right person. Evidently the person in my area is an idiot because I got a contractor with no cable cards two days in a row.

3. Do your best to get an answer right away about anything you need. If they tell you they will call you back, they won't. I had three different people promise to call me back "within the hour" and not a single one ever called me back.

4. If you don't get a good answer, hang up and call back. Different people will give you different answers for just about anything.

5. If they screw up your appointment like they did mine, call them back up and give them hell about it. It involved a lot of stress and time talking to different people, but I was eventually able to get credits totaling $225.34 for two botched installation appointments.

6. Get the name and ID # of each person you talk to. Keep a detailed record of the time and date that you talk to each person, and exactly what they promised you. This could prove helpfull later when they inevitably screw you over and you are on the phone yet again talking to different person. Once you start spitting out names and IDs of everybody you've talked to, and how you want to speak to their manager because you are getting the run-around, they'll know your serious and they don't need to just "get rid of you", because you'll call back and continue to make their life miserable.
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #172
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurlbut
Puyallup, WA (South of Seattle 35 miles)

Called Comcast's 1-800 number yesterday. $16.95 trip charge, no charge for either cable card and no monthly fee. Also returning the POS Motorola box is no hassle, the tech will pick it up when he arrives next Friday.

Now what do I do with this COOL Series 3 that I have in my grubby little hands until next Friday!? I just installed the batteries in the remote.

BTW, Fry's in Renton, WA had 3 S3's in stock yesterday. I called and had them hold one for me until I could get there this morning to pick it up.

COOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL.
Just reading through some of this thread it's amazing what the different answers folks are getting from Comcast.

I also live in the Puyallup Washington area and when I called Comcast it's 1 free cable card, $6.95 per month for the 2nd and $16.95 one time install fee.

Beacuse I was going to transfer a life time subscription I was really hoping to get away from monthly fees....apparently not so.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #173
bkdtv

Quote:
I also live in the Puyallup Washington area and when I called Comcast it's 1 free cable card, $6.95 per month for the 2nd and $16.95 one time install fee.
That $6.95/mo isn't the cost of the CableCard, it's the cost of another TV outlet. Make clear to Comcast that both cards go into the same TV, and that your new TV needs two CableCards to work, and you can avoid that fee.

Multistream cards will be available in late October or early November -- when that happens, you will only need one card for your Series3. Multistream CableCards do the work of two regular CableCards.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #174
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Multistream cards will be available in late October or early November -- when that happens, you will only need one card for your Series3. Multistream CableCards do the work of two regular CableCards.
If we're not charged for the rental of either card, and we're not being charged an outlet fee, will there be any benefit to swapping out for a multistream card? I'd rather not change anything now that it's working, unless there's a good reason (in other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").
Old 09-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #175
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Do you have a link to that particular FAQ?
I think I've posted this in this thread before. To find the FAQ search for "cable card" (complete with quotes). Its located at: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540

The relevant FAQ is near the end:

Q: I thought that by purchasing a digital-cable-ready TV set that I would receive the same services I currently get with my Digital Cable box. If I can’t get the same services with a CableCARD, why am I being charged the same price?

A: Your digital cable-ready TV can receive all of the Digital Cable services you currently enjoy which are included in your monthly subscription fee; however certain features will require a Digital Cable box. Comcast is happy to provide you with a Digital Cable box at no additional charge for your primary cable outlet.*
Old 09-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #176
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it").
That's about what I was going to say. I'll carry on with the 2 cards unless I see an advantage to swapping them.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #177
bkdtv

Quote:
If we're not charged for the rental of either card, and we're not being charged an outlet fee, will there be any benefit to swapping out for a multistream card? I'd rather not change anything now that it's working, unless there's a good reason (in other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").
If you aren't being charged for two standard CableCards, then there is no reason to replace them with a Multistream CableCard.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #178
keenanSR

Quote:
I think I've posted this in this thread before. To find the FAQ search for "cable card" (complete with quotes). Its located at: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540

The relevant FAQ is near the end:

Q: I thought that by purchasing a digital-cable-ready TV set that I would receive the same services I currently get with my Digital Cable box. If I can’t get the same services with a CableCARD, why am I being charged the same price?

A: Your digital cable-ready TV can receive all of the Digital Cable services you currently enjoy which are included in your monthly subscription fee; however certain features will require a Digital Cable box. Comcast is happy to provide you with a Digital Cable box at no additional charge for your primary cable outlet.*
Thanks, I have the sneaky suspicion I'm going to need all the data I can get when it comes to dumping the 6412 and Expanded Basic, and Digital Classic. It should be interesting.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #179
mahk

In the spirit of posting good stories along with the bad -- I have to say I just had a great experience with the Comcast CSR.

After reading this thread for 4 days straight, I called 800-COMCAST and was prepared to do battle. I asked to be connected with the department that deals with CableCards, and the CSR asked if I already had one or if I needed some. I said that I needed two, and she asked if I had ordered "one of those new Tivos" -- I said yes, and she said "no problem."

No spiel about VOD or any of that -- she just put me on hold, got back on the line and said that she was having some trouble finding the codes because it's new to them, put me on hold again, then got back on the line and said everything was all set and we made an appointment for Saturday.

At the end of the call, she reminded me to hang on to the receipt when I turned in the old box to make sure I get the correct credit on my bill. She even closed the call with "congratulations on that new Tivo."

I'm thinking that maybe the CSRs received some training recently?

We'll see what happens Saturday with the install, but I have to say that the phone experience was way better than I planned.

Anyway, just throwing good karma out there -- I know most people tend to post when things go wrong, but wanted to pass along at least one positive story.

Best of luck everyone with your installs!
mahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #180
aressa

I went to the Redmond WA Comcast office and picked up the two cablecards no-questions-asked. I just walked up to the counter, asked for two cable cards, and two minutes later I was out the door.

I did not bug them about how much they were going to cost me, but I'll do that next weekend or so when I go return the 6412, and after I know the S3 will be all set up to record HD, and after we watch all of the HD content still stored on the 6412.
aressa is offline   Reply With Quote