TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #61
comicsacrifice

I just sent this to every TIVO e-mail address I could find:

" Dear Tivo,
you guys better deal with the cable companies.. (mainly time warner) they are hurting you. the switched digital video is rendering the cablecards useless as they can not receive many of the cable channels. does this not break the FCC mandate on cable card support? should my cable viewing experience be crippled just because I chose not to use the cable companies horrible set top box and instead opted for YOUR new series 3 tivo along with the aid of cablecards?

seems to me like you guys are the ones that should be heading this battle. "

So if this "switched video" does indeed break the FCC mandate for cable card support, couldn't this open the door for a class action lawsuit? We ALL need to fight this now so it doesn't grow. Right now its austin and a few others.. soon it will be you. We need to fight this.
comicsacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #62
Gene S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync
*sigh*
Zync> I heard TW Austin is a test market for a technology called Switched Video which could, depending on how its used by the cable company, prevent access to certain channels unless the cable set top box requests the channel (2-way comm). Are you familiar with the use of switched video in the Austin area?
Jenn> Yes, We are in the area that requires a "switched video"
Zync> Do you know which channles are subjected to switching?
Zync> I had heard it was things like the west coast premium channels - nothing commonly used.
Zync> But I'd like to know for sure, since this breaks the use of cable cards with your cable system.
Jenn> There are new ones that were added like National Geo, HGTV, Food, the weather channels,. 13, 14, 20, 23, disney, and CNN
Zync> Wow - these are commonly accessed channels. Are you saying that I will not be able to get these channels if I use my cable card?
Jenn> One moment... let me verify.
Jenn> No, you are not able to get those channels that are considered that "switched" channels.
I wonder if she got SDV and Digital Simulcast confused. (I think that is the right term)
Often they send a digital channel as well as the analog channel. If you have a STB from the cable company and tune to channel 13 for example, and 13 is sent in analog and digital, the box will display the digital channel. If you don't have a box and tune to channel 13 you get the analog version.
If you use a S3 without a cable card you will get the analog version.
If you use a S3 with a cable card you will get the digital version.
The Food channel, weather channel, and CNN are popular channels. It wouldn't make sense to make these SDV channels, there would be no bandwidth savings.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #63
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S
I wonder if she got SDV and Digital Simulcast confused. (I think that is the right term)
Often they send a digital channel as well as the analog channel. If you have a STB from the cable company and tune to channel 13 for example, and 13 is sent in analog and digital, the box will display the digital channel. If you don't have a box and tune to channel 13 you get the analog version.
If you use a S3 without a cable card you will get the analog version.
If you use a S3 with a cable card you will get the digital version.
The Food channel, weather channel, and CNN are popular channels. It wouldn't make sense to make these SDV channels, there would be no bandwidth savings.

"If you use a S3 with a cable card you will get the digital version"

Not true with TWC Raleigh. Cablecard gets the analog version.

When I had the card in a TV, I could see that analog artifacts. Spoke with TWC and they confirmed that CC receives NTSC analog for channels under 100. Digital Simulcast is only with their STB.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #64
comicsacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID

When I had the card in a TV, I could see that analog artifacts. Spoke with TWC and they confirmed that CC receives NTSC analog for channels under 100. Digital Simulcast is only with their STB.
You're STUCK with analog on all channels 100 and below? that is insane.. what's the point of even having an 800 dollar HD tivo then? and whats going to happen to the people who purchased an hd tivo when they go to switched digital all over? this could end up very badly.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #65
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
You're STUCK with analog on all channels 100 and below? that is insane.. what's the point of even having an 800 dollar HD tivo then? and whats going to happen to the people who purchased an hd tivo when they go to switched digital all over? this could end up very badly.
The only hope is that Tivo will provide the capability to remap the analog channel number to the digital simulcast QAM channel.

It doesnt appear to be SDV... Just fixed digital QAM. TWC could do the mapping for us in the CC.... but that would require them to actually care about us.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #66
jacksonian

MurrayJimW,
Please keep us posted on any SDV issues. I've exchanged emails with Jack Stanley, President of Triad TWC regarding the SA8300 and SDV and TiVo S3. If you start losing HD channels or anything else, please post here or PM me.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #67
comicsacrifice

i don't get the feeling that time warner really cares about me, at least not the los angeles branch. not in the least. the woman spit in my face when i went into the oxnard street office. not kidding. she said "we don't need you, you need us. sorry." then she spit in my face.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #68
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc3000
Here is a link to my local TWC and it gives an idea of what will be lost by using a CC. I use none of those extras so it doesn't effect me really. http://www.timewarnercable.com/piedm...cablecard.html
That list doesn't address any SDV channels, and the Triad technical guy has told me that they're putting "all their channels" on SDV.

Cool that their are several of us from the Piedmont Triad NC.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #69
Trynyty

Here is an email I received from a contact within TW in SC. Already obsolete technology!? Also, why are hispanic customers being prejudiced against? They cannot use cable cards for hispanic content apparently.

Enjoy:

-------------------------

Hello,

I'm sorry you didn't realize SDV was an issue with one-way cable cards. I thought I might have covered that in detail on the forum. Let we say that you receive all the channels you pay for because we are not selling partial 'tiers' of digital service. Two exceptions probably instantly leap to your mind: Premium channels and The HD Tier -

Premium - customers only ever pay for the linear channel of service, so HBO East coast proper. All other multiplex of the screen are free. So if you were living in Lane, SC you would pay $9.95 for HBO one channel in Analog, just like in Columbia where you pay $9.95 for the one channel and get the other 13 as a bonus because you are a digital premium subscriber.

HD Tier - we launched as a 5 channel service at $6.95 and when we added Universal HD, we didn't increase the rate, so CableCARD subs are getting and paying for what was always available to them.

2 Way CableCARDs will be available next year - BUT they will not convert your existing one-way television into two-way - the input on your TV will remain one way even with a two-way card. 2 way TVs are sometime next year as well, but that would be another expenditure for you.

I have attached a list of channels available with the CableCARD - it doesn't include HBO HD East or Sho HD East - this is my typo, but you get them. What you cannot get is:
Digital Sports Tier
Hispanic Tier
Sports Packages
PPV
All West Coast Premium channels
Selected East Coast Premium multiplex channels

Tivo 3 is One-Way, so same SDV issues will apply

You will not get ANY additional HD channels beyond your current line up with one-way cable card.

Again I apologize for not doing a good enough job to wave you off this already obsolete technology.
Trynyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #70
pkscout

Quote:

Well, that bites, and is yet another example of the monopoly keeping competition out through marginally legal means. Basically what I have come to expect from TWC. I guess I won't get the cablecards then, as that's the only reason I had to have them (I get all my HD OTA in Durham). Actually, I think I'll just keep DirecTV and not even bother with TWC (never thought I'd say that, but the 6.3 upgrade extended the life of my HDTiVo significantly).
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #71
Gene S

Quote:

I'm not doubting you, this just is contradictory to what I've read in the past couple months. (I'm trying to find the posts where I read it, I don't remember if it was here or AVS, so its taking some time.) And one of the uses of cablecards is to map QAM digtial channels.
For years, the general rule of thumb were channels 1-99 are analog, and 100+ are digital, but that is no longer accurate, for most major cable companies.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #72
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S
I'm not doubting you, this just is contradictory to what I've read in the past couple months. (I'm trying to find the posts where I read it, I don't remember if it was here or AVS, so its taking some time.) And one of the uses of cablecards is to map QAM digtial channels.
Mapping the HD channels to specific QAM frequencies and re-mapping the analog channel to its digital simulcast are two different things.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #73
2farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne
I haven't ordered a S3 yet, but I did call TW here in Raleigh, NC. They charge 1.75 per card per month, but charge 49.99 installation per card. Anyone else here live in Raleigh get the same answer?
Yes, I got the same quote and also got told I would no longer be able to stay in DIGIPiC and my Internet bill would also go up too since I would be a-la-carte.
That sucks and is just plain bad service.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
2farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #74
BillyT2002
Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Time Warner took over Adelphia here in Waterville, ME. The first 100 channels are in analog and there is no digital simulast available here even with their best DVR STB. They plan on making no changes to this area until 1999 (so that probably means no SDV either). They have 3 major networks in HD and three or four national HD channels beyond that, but they don't have very much HD. So, as much as I'd like to buy an S3 and support TIVO, I'm going with DirecTV's HR20-700 solution to complement the HR10-250 and HDVR2 receivers that I already have, which ultimately means another two year commitment starting on Monday 9/18/2006.

So, Time Warner Cable has lost out on this sale.

I really hope that Verizon is serious about bringing FIOS here as they state on the FIOS web page and the sooner the better.

“I'm sorry. That was the hungry, dizzy Hulk, he comes on fast."
BillyT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #75
comicsacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyT2002
They plan on making no changes to this area until 1999 (so that probably means no SDV either).
1999?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM   #76
comicsacrifice

damn it. i really didn't want to have to return this thing, but i think i have to. unless tivo can guarantee some kind of swap out deal when they release the next tivo with cablecard 2.0 compatibility and a bigger hard drive. what a hassle.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #77
MurrayJimW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
MurrayJimW,
Please keep us posted on any SDV issues. I've exchanged emails with Jack Stanley, President of Triad TWC regarding the SA8300 and SDV and TiVo S3. If you start losing HD channels or anything else, please post here or PM me.

You can count on it.

I honestly believe this will end up in a class action suit or with the FCC coming down on TWC if they push this issue. As far as I am concerned, they are already at odds with the FCC's mandate. We know the cable companies threw everything they had at this ruling before it was passed to stop it. Since they lost that political battle, they have decided to "test the waters" to see what will happen if they ignore it. Hopefully they will get what is coming to them......

The same goes for you. If you hear anything from Stanley or anyone else about an acceleration of SDV rollout or any more changes please let me know so I can at least start writing letters or making phone calls.

Jim
MurrayJimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #78
BillyT2002
Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
1999?
Sorry, I meant 2009.

“I'm sorry. That was the hungry, dizzy Hulk, he comes on fast."
BillyT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #79
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferrell
Yea, what I did was tuned in ESPN HD, ok that worked, changed the channel on that tuner and had it record something else (to make sure it wasn't being used), and the hit "live TV" to switch tuners, tuned to ESPN HD, nada. I was able to clear this up with a simple telephone call, though they seemed clueless. However, now I notice that neither tuner pulls in SPEEDChannel, though they both think they are. Cripes.

Brett
TW Cinci
ok, so what did they tell you do to clear it up???

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #80
ldc3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
That list doesn't address any SDV channels, and the Triad technical guy has told me that they're putting "all their channels" on SDV.

Cool that their are several of us from the Piedmont Triad NC.

Under where it says Note: Digital Cable Ready TV required for this service.
It says:

*Effective April 1, 2006, additional time zone channels available with some of our Premium Services will move to a two-way, switched digital technology and will not be available via CableCARD™. Additional time zone programming is not available with all Premium Services.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #81
CYX

Angry Can't watch Fox amd MSNBC

I’ve installed TIVO Series 2 in a house with Time Warner Cable. No cable box. This is in Marina Del Rey, California. I am getting all channels I am suppose to except FOX News and MSNBC. CNN, for example, is fine. I don’t have any premium packages.

When I set recording to Fox News (channel 32), TIVO tries to tune but reports lost signal. If I manually tune via the grid guide or directly, I get black screen.
Any ideas?
CYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #82
TechDreamer

What does this have to do with the Series 3?
TechDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #83
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farrell
Yes, I got the same quote and also got told I would no longer be able to stay in DIGIPiC and my Internet bill would also go up too since I would be a-la-carte.
That sucks and is just plain bad service.
Wow. That's a pretty creative way to screw the customer I hadn't even thought of. TWC innovation at it's finest.

If DSL is an option for you, you might consider switching, or at least telling TWC that forcing you to unbundle like that just to get a cablecard is pretty crappy and that you'll just drop all the services you previously had been bundling.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #84
jeffrypennock

Nervous in Houston

So I thought that between FCC mandates and the fact that Comcast takes over the Houston market in a few months, we were safe from SDV.

But now, I'm nervous. From what I understand, TWC Houston called all its customers (I missed the call) with a message saying their may be outages in the next couple weeks as they switch all of our channels to digital. That's all I can extract from what I'm reading online, but they're all paraphrasing and I'm not sure what TWC means. I don't know if they means they're going to be carrying digital streams for all of our old analog channels or if that means they're switching us to SDV for some/all of our channels (whereas only VOD is SDV here, currently). Did anybody on here in the Houston area get that message? What's happening?
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #85
zync
Long live TiVo

Whew, what a mess...

There are several larger points with regards to SDV:

1) Any channel that is switched may not be available to CC customers
2) TiVo S3, being a CC device, may not be able to access switched channels
3) SDV is coming to certain TWC areas now, possibly all TWC areas in the future
4) It appears that as time goes on, more channels will be subject to switching, thus increasing the probability that TiVo S3 units will not function properly on TWC cable systems.

In addition, the quality of information we are getting is poor:

5) There is some confusion at the CSR level between simulcast and SDV. The extent of the confusion is unknown, but it does muddy the situation.
6) TWC is unable, or unwilling, to provide details on plans for implementing SDV and thus the impact on CC users
7) TWC in different areas operates as separate groups so each area is different, thus adding to the confusion.

And finally

8) Several requests to various TiVo representatives for more information on how TiVo customers can approach SDV issues now and in the future have gone unanswered so far.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #86
jeffrypennock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync
Whew, what a mess...

5) There is some confusion at the CSR level between simulcast and SDV. The extent of the confusion is unknown, but it does muddy the situation.
Well said. A good review to get us back on track in our use of technical language.

My post was regarding the final stages of something being implemented in Houston. Because I missed TWC's call (and calling them back to ask would be pointless for the above quoted reason), I want to know WHAT it is that's being implemented this weekend. I was told by a CSR that they were 75% done w/ implementation of digital simulcast hardware upgrades, etc., here a month ago. I don't know if that was correct info then. I don't know if that's what's in the final stages of execution now OR if this implementation is a separate one - SDV. This is what I was asking about.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #87
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
Mapping the HD channels to specific QAM frequencies and re-mapping the analog channel to its digital simulcast are two different things.
I fail to see the distinction. If I select channel 10 (WBNS), the STB can either map that to the analog signal on channel 5 or to the simulcast on whatever QAM sub-channel it is using.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #88
TexasGrillChef

Farmers Branch Cable office
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #89
box464

I am a TWC Customer in Dallas, TX.

I got the runaround from the CS Rep I spoke to, saying "We will not install in a Tivo"...he was nice tho and then said "If you have 2 TV's with CableCards we can send someone out."...basically telling me to fib to him. So I did. I just hope the technician doesn't freak out when he gets here. Also, I'm sure sending a truck out means a charge on my bill.

This is contrary to TexasChef's experience with the same Cable Company, in the same City.

Also, in my area of Dallas, we have a dual line system, which is nuts. Every house has TWO cable lines coming into it, one for Side A channels, one for Side B. They are slowly switching everyone over to single line this year, but it's been like this for ages. Anyway, I don't think CableCards will work in this type of system? I am not sure. My thought is that I am going to have to keep the set top box, which will allow me to record in HD, but I will not be able to record 2 shows at once.

If anyone else is in a Dual Line area and has setup a Series 3 please let me know your experiences. Thanks!
box464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #90
JKay

TWC SDV looks like its going to ruin my S3 plans!

I just phoned my local TWC customer service in Southern California and was advised they are not implementing SDV at the moment and they will advise customers when they do go to SDV. I could not pry any additional information from them. However, I got the distinct impression that they were, not only well aware of SDV, but that it was coming.

I asked about getting 2 cablecards for a TiVo and was told they would not do that. After some discussion they advised me they would provide them, but they would not work in a TiVo.

I tried to enlighten the young lady I was talking to, but her mind was totally closed to my efforts to explain the circumstances of a Series 3 TiVo.

I guess I am going back to D*.
Series 3, 131 hrs.HD (WD Green 1TB)
SVR2000, 160 hrs.
JKay is offline   Reply With Quote