TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #61
aztivo

well I am glad it all worked out this is something we will all have to watch out for
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #62
lasergecko

I spoke with a Cox rep on the way to work today. It was actually exactly what I expected and not surprising at all since Cox has *always* charged for "digital service" on a per device basis. We thought about adding a digital box for my daughter's room a couple of years ago. I cancelled it when I found out that the box rental and service for the box were two seperate items. (I thought that we paid one fee for "digital service" for the entire house, but oh, nay, nay! 'Twas not to be.)

I will be returning the Cox HD DVR and my Digital box to the installer. Instead of renting those, I will be renting two CableCards for $1.99 each and paying for digital service for each one.

(CSR said service the second one was $4.95 per month or something to that effect.)

So, deduct the equipment rental fees and DVR service fee, add the $3.98 to rent two CableCards, and maintain the two "digital" service fees that I already have, and I will save about $20 per month. That will easily amortize the Lifetime subscription change fee.

The only thing surprising about the call was that she wanted to be sure that the tech sent out "HiDef CableCards". I didn't expect her to know anything about Series 3, so I wasn't surprised when she didn't understand that it took two CableCards.
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #63
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo
well I am glad it all worked out this is something we will all have to watch out for
I've been running good ever since then (even restarted just to see if it would happen again) and all is good.

It's been a while since I've had a TiVo, I switched to a Scientific Atanta 8300HD from a DirecTiVo. Let's just say I would hump my new Series 3 if I didn't think it would de-value it!

It's so nice to be able to actually do simple things like search for programs, have multiple weeks worth of guide data, oh and having it actually record all of my programs will be nice too.
LonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #64
boomvader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonV
It's so nice to be able to actually do simple things like search for programs, have multiple weeks worth of guide data, oh and having it actually record all of my programs will be nice too.
Amen, brother.
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #65
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader
Amen, brother.
Oh, and my pesonal favorite: Being able to watch the beginning of a program that's currently being recorded and NOT have it jump to the end of the show when it stops recording.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #66
gwsat

I had decided that I would not buy an S3 after all when I learned that it would not support the increased functionality of the Ver. 2.0 CableCARD. But the reminders in the preceding posts of how great the TiVo software is, and, by inference, how primitive the SA software is, has made me start to reconsider.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:06 AM   #67
LonV

Yeah, it's absolutely night and day.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #68
lasergecko

Well, it's a software based product. Upgrades are always possible.

I just bought one from Ultimate Electronics! It was the easiest sale that Dale will make today. Funny thing, though. It took him a little while to find it in the warehouse.

"They didn't tell me the new ones were in BLACK boxes."

Ultimate Electronics on Rainbow in Las Vegas still has one in stock.

Cox can't be out until Wednesday, though. :-(
Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #69
reh523

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroboth
I think I might have to evaluate my home purchase decision on the supportability of the Series 3 by the local cable company. It's that crazy? You betch.
Okay forgo the biggest investment most people make in there entire lives, over a difference of 1.50 for a cable card or 7.50 for a cable card?

Dude its television......... Think about it?
reh523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #70
timmetro69
Vegas Baby

Good CableCard Install Experience

I'm happy to report that I had a very good experience with my Cox Las Vegas CableCard install this afternoon.

The installer actually showed up about 45 minutes early, which was fine with me. He didn't really flinch when I showed him the S3, all I had to do was show him the CableCard slots and he was off.

He was on site about 25 minutes and everything checked out perfectly when he left. I re-ran Guided Setup afterwards and I've been running about nine hours now and everything is just like I'd hoped.

I've been happily recording two HD shows at a time ever since. Hope everyone else has the same experience.
timmetro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #71
lasergecko

What was the cost?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #72
timmetro69
Vegas Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergecko
What was the cost?
My cost was $30 each for the card install and $1.99 each per month. I returned my 8300HD so my net monthly bill goes down about six bucks, but it will take me ten months to break even after the install fees.
timmetro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #73
sparkomatic

Has anyone in the LA/Orange County area gone through a cable card install yet? I have my appt for Wed but am trying to get an earlier appt.
sparkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #74
jodell
TiVo geek

My Cox OC install is Tuesday. I will post my experiences. Hopefully they are as good as some of the others recently posted.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:22 AM   #75
proudpapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmetro69
I called and scheduled a cable card install through Cox Las Vegas on Tuesday right after I ordered my S3. The rep was a little confused at first when I requested two, and she actually started to say that she'd only put one on the order but the tech "should" have two with him. I said I'd be much more comfortable if the order specifically stated two cards, which she eventually did without much issue.

The cost per card is $1.99/month, and the install/truck roll charge is $30/card. In the end, I actually save about six dollars a month after you take away the $10/month for my current 8300HD DVR (which sucks).

My install is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Hopefully my S3 arrives on Friday as expected.
Now I'm really confused - I live in Henderson, NV - just outside Las Vegas and I was quoted $13.98 for 2 cards per month + $60 to roll truck !
Old 09-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #76
DanGordon

is there such a thing as a hi def vs a non hi def cable card ?

i am thinking of getting a tivo series 3 and i need to know when i call cox

i am sorry if this is a dumb question

thanks,
dan
DanGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #77
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGordon
is there such a thing as a hi def vs a non hi def cable card ?
No ... there is no such thing as an "HD CableCard" vs. an "SD CableCard".

A CableCard is a CableCard and when it comes to HD vs. SD.

Just for kicks ... you could ask for a Multistream CableCard. The CSR probably won't know what the heck you're talking about ... but hey ... you can ask.

Note: In theory, a single multistream cablecard could be used instead of two single stream cablecards ... but AFAIK no cable companies are deploying multistream cablecards yet so for now ... that's just a theory.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #78
DanGordon

so i assume, when they say hi def , they are asking about the service, not the hardware ???

also if one could get a multi stream card....

and since it has 2 slots, could you do 4 recordings at once ???

also can you currently record pause and watch live tivo on 2 hi def channels at the same time ?
DanGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #79
JeffDan

Cox Fairfaix install for Wednesday

I finally got my Tivo in this morning, not exactly next day air but then Tivo apologized already and refunded the charge for shipping so I am happy with everything so far.

I called Cox Fairfax and have it scheduled for the cable cards on Wednesday 9/20 between 3&5. Normally they show on time, hopefully he won't be too early. It's kind of hard to explain to the boss why I want to leave early that day.

Talking to the sales rep wasn't too fun. I think I went over that I wanted to turn in one cable box for two cable cards about 5 times before she gave up and just wrote up the ticket like I told her to. My experience with thier techs have been good so far The last one spent quite a long time to finally determine that my cable line was bad because the cable had degraded itself, and then proceeded to run my very own line to the main box instead of sharing with my condo neighbors.

I hope my install goes as well as the others, I leave the next day for a week trip and need the dual tuner! Too many interesting new shows and all at the same time!

-Jeff
JeffDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #80
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
so i assume, when they say hi def , they are asking about the service, not the hardware ???
Yes, probably.
Quote:
also if one could get a multi stream card....

and since it has 2 slots, could you do 4 recordings at once ???
No. CableCards are only one part of the equation. The multi-stream cards aren't even limited to two streams ... a single multistream can support four or five streams. But, you also need hardware / functionality in the host (S3). The S3 is set up to allow recording 2 shows at once ... so ... that's what you're going to get (with two single stream cards or one multistream cards).
Quote:
also can you currently record pause and watch live tivo on 2 hi def channels at the same time ?
Yes, you can record two high definition shows at the same time. The exception would be if you only have one single stream card installed. Right now, if you have one single stream card installed, the S3 will revert to a "single tuner" mode where you can only record one thing at a time (SD or HD, doesn't matter).
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #81
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDan
I called Cox Fairfax and have it scheduled for the cable cards on Wednesday 9/20 between 3&5. Normally they show on time, hopefully he won't be too early. It's kind of hard to explain to the boss why I want to leave early that day.
Heh, I've got my CableCard install scheduled for 5-7 from Cox Fairfax on Wednesday as well. What are the odds we've got the same technician?

BTW, are you having to pay a double digital outlet fee? The CSR rep indicated to me that I would have to pay two digital outlet fees, but who knows what it's going to be when they show up?
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #82
MichaelMI

Called Cox San Diego this morning and have an appointment for Monday. The CSR put me on hold twice after I told her it was for a Tivo Series 3, but no issues with them.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #83
JeffDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Heh, I've got my CableCard install scheduled for 5-7 from Cox Fairfax on Wednesday as well. What are the odds we've got the same technician?

BTW, are you having to pay a double digital outlet fee? The CSR rep indicated to me that I would have to pay two digital outlet fees, but who knows what it's going to be when they show up?
They said some gibberish about paying two install fees and that the monthly charge was like $2-$3. I would have questioned her more but I was at work making the call and didn't have much time and also it didn't sound like she really had any idea what she was talking about. So I will start with the tech when he comes and sees it is just the one box they are going in. I am hoping he will have a better understanding of how it will work. I am sure Cox will try to nickel and dime me to death on this, but I can't have sattelite, I have a huge building blocking any antenna reception, and I just can't go back to standard tv!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #84
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Thanks guys for posting this info. I too am using Cox Fairfax, and will have to deal with them once my TiVo arrives (I am in the lucky 200, grrr). So I am very interested in how smoothly your installs go.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #85
jodell
TiVo geek

Overall I was a little frustrated with the ordering process (two digital outlet fees and two install charges, of which one was credited back to me) but I am quite happy with the install process.

I posted my Cox Orange County install experience here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...59#post4393159

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #86
IdecideTV

Succussfully installed 2 cable cards from New England Cox ( I live in Connecticut). I did have problem explaining anything new like cable card supported device to the cox CSR in the past, ex. I did have a series 2 Tivo and "34" Sony WEGA HDTV with a HD tuner and cable card support" and a set top box from Cox as well. When I called them about 6 months back to order a cable card, I had hard time explaining them to have a cable card in addition to cable box, they were trying to convince me that either I can have a Set-top box or a cable card, I was not successful at all in explaining about the TV feature, like 7 Video inputs are equalent to 7 TVs/ Tv Input sources.

So this time when called to order and schedule an appointment for the cable cards, I didn't mention anything about Tivo, I just told them that I need two cable cards and the CSR asked that whether it is for two new HDTVs ? I said Yes, the rep showed up today, he was the one installed my prevous cable card for the TV, So he sort of know me. ( I also explained him during his last visit, that I would be getting a Tivo Series 3 in the future and he should help me with the cable cards). I just gave him the instruction sheet, we just followed the instruction. Cable card 1 did go through without any problem. Cable card 2 did not receive digital content, but appeared to be a problem in their end, he was on the phone with their office about 10 mins while they were setting up the card 2 again) thats it in 15-20 minutes I got it working. The only problem I am having is that series 2 tivo remote interfere with the new box as well, I want to keep the series 2 too. To use as third tuner for analog channel recording when my two tuner is busy with HD content.
IdecideTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #87
JeffDan

Cox Install

The tech just left. This was his first HD Tivo and didn't realize they had come out with it. It took about 15 minutes to get it all set up and now he is off to probably do some more installs and get the Tivo for himself.

I am doing the guided setup right now, so fingers crossed I was still be running in a half hour.

Forgot to ask about the prices! D'oh! Just too happy to have it all running I just plain forgot to ask.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #88
sparkomatic

My install in Irvine went well too. Took about an hour in total. One thing that threw him (and myself) was that when the CC was first inserted, he went to get the information off the card through one of the screen menus and it wasn't coming up. He thought it was a bad card and we tried swapping cards, rebooting, etc. When he went to call in, the information popped up on the screen. Turns out you have to wait a few minutes for the Tivo to pull the info (MAC, device ID, etc).

The second card I think was bad cause the premium channels wouldn't come through. He swapped it out and all was good.

He said they had a meeting this morning and were talking about the S3 and to be prepared for these types of installs going forward.

The tech was very thorough and made sure all my channels were working on both cable cards before he left. He seemed to like the Tivo alot... wonder if he went to go buy one after he left...ha ha
Old 09-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #89
moyekj

sparkomatic, I'm in Orange County area as well. I've been trying to find out exactly what the cable charges are. The logical plan is:
- Turn in the Cox DVR to save $9.95/month for box rental + $4.95/month DVR service fee
- Cablecards rent for $1.99 each but the 2nd one carries a 'additional outlet' fee of $1.49
- Continue paying the digital cable service

Does that sound right? I've heard different stories from different Cox markets so trying to figure out exactly what the costs involved are.
Thanks
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #90
sparkomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
sparkomatic, I'm in Orange County area as well. I've been trying to find out exactly what the cable charges are. The logical plan is:
- Turn in the Cox DVR to save $9.95/month for box rental + $4.95/month DVR service fee
- Cablecards rent for $1.99 each but the 2nd one carries a 'additional outlet' fee of $1.49
- Continue paying the digital cable service

Does that sound right? I've heard different stories from different Cox markets so trying to figure out exactly what the costs involved are.
Thanks
Sounds right to me. I'm about to turn in my 2nd Cox cable DVR box for just a regular HD box so I'll probably ask them about the cable cards when I do.