Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #211
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoehead
Don't most HDDs have a 3 year manufacturers warranty? Anyway, the HDD that costs $200 today (500gigs) will cost $100 in 2 years, so it is not the worst thing to have to replace.
Hard drives purchased in a retail box usually have 3 year warranties by the manufacturer. The OEM drives put in my the manufacturers of DVRs usually have only 90 day to 1 year warranties. Also the warranty term is usually printed on the hard drive label.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #212
c3
TiVoholic

Typical consumer drives:
WD and Maxtor retail: 1 year.
WD and Maxtor bare: 3 years.
Seagate: 5 years.

Typical drives in DVR: none from the drive manufacturer.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #213
lemketron
Senior Bit Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
(re: channel changing speed, S3 is) VERY speedy. No noticable lag in menus, etc, at all. Channel surfing has about a 2 second lag before you see the new channel, but that's about as good as it gets since it has to tune the channel, record it, read it, decode it, then output. DVRs always have some lag. But the new channel banner comes up instantly, it is just the video that takes a moment.
I guess most people are moving from S2 boxes and/or are used to cable or satellite STBs.

Our past experience was with a (seemingly slow at other things) analog-only S1, and I have to say that I hate the lag. I don't have the cable cards yet, but on the built-in (QAM) tuner, I can't stand the screen blanking out every time I change channels. Too bad it can't pre-tune the second tuner with a guess at the next channel (if I'm going up or down through the list). I hope that adding the cable cards somehow improves this but I'm not optimistic.

Just thought this was worth pointing out for anyone else moving from a pure (and fast) analog TiVo experience. (Yeah yeah, "welcome to the 21st century", I guess. I was just hoping it would be clear in EVERY regard, especially performance, that this was an improvement from my six-year old S1.)
lemketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #214
cgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Typical consumer drives:
WD and Maxtor retail: 1 year.
WD and Maxtor bare: 3 years.
Seagate: 5 years.

Typical drives in DVR: none from the drive manufacturer.
WD has a good program to extend warranties online, eg 1yr -> 3yr for $15 (for retail/bare)...just input the serial# and check the warranty status.
Maybe someone w/ an S3 (opened) could input their drive S/N at http://support.wdc.com, and check the warranty status, incl if they list option to extend it?

I 've done that for all my replacement/expansion SA1 tivo drives... WD120g worked nicely so far...
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #215
c3
TiVoholic

If you want 3 years with WD, it's probably cheaper to get the bare drive which already has 3-year warranty. Based on my experience (not S3), WD drive in TiVo does not have WD warranty, so you cannot extend it.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #216
tgibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathanb
Well, of course. Same goes for health, homeowners, fire, car, flood, and any other kind of insurance out there. If it didn't make someone a profit, it wouldn't exist.

It's an insurance policy. Plain and simple.
Yes, generally you are better off self-insuring (which means if it breaks, just pay to have it fixed) your stuff unless the cost is likely to be ruinous. On the average, you will save, even if you occasionally get hit with an expensive repair.

Exceptions are:

1) If you think that your own unit will get heavier use than most, to the extent that it is substantially more likely to break than average.

2) If the manufacturer has a monopoly on repairs and really screws you, in which case a service contract may be your best bet.
tgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #217
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
As an FYI to those who may be purchasing replacement drives for the S3, please read the following before spending your money.

After perusing MZ's internal pics of the S3, I notice that the connector on the SATA hard drive is the Western Digital proprietary SATA connector. It makes the connections much less prone to coming lose due to vibration etc. ...

Unfortunately, it is proprietary, and one complete assembly. The power and data cables are attached to one molded connector. If you trace the SATA connector back to the motherboard, it appears to be a standard connector, so there should be no problem replacing the SATA cable. On the other hand, the power connector appears to be soldered into the power supply board.

Unless you are comfortable soldering, it would seem that an adapter (connector) to power the HD, or a WD drive will be necessary to replace the stock S3 HD.

Here is a link to the WD cable. It appears as though the cable in the S3 is a modified version of the one you can purchase directly from WD as the TiVo version has the power cable integrated into the connector.

Of course, there is a good chance that a retail WD HD would work without any modification, as long as it can accept power through the SATA power connector on the WD proprietary connection.

Any brave souls out there I know I'm not going to mess with mine when I get it. I'll just go the external route, or possible upgrade with a larger HD.

I can't remember where I saw them Cyberguys.com or cableguys.com (I think) had SATA conversion cables for that convert back & forth between the WD proprietary(sp?) Sata/power connector. Think it was like $15 or something.

I do know I saw the conversion / adapter cables though somewhere.

TexasGrillChef.... Grilling the World away...

Tivo S3 umod (so far) with Slingbox!
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #218
lonestarjacket

Exclamation Nice Gesture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Some might say it was generous of them to offer the transfer fee at all. Otherwise, the lifetime option has been discontinued. The fact that they're allowing their "loyal customers" the opportunity to get another lifetime fee for $200 for the new hardware seems like a nice gesture to me.
Have you done the math?

If you want to keep the old box and the new Series 3 as well then there is no advantage at all to tranferring service. You only get 12 months on the old box and that's like prepaying a fully monthly fee for a year anyway.

Now, the transfer may be a good deal if you have an old Series 1 that you are likely to trash anyway. Otherwise, not so much.
lonestarjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #219
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
I'm not sure if this has already been answered. I couldn't find it anywhere.

In a cable system with ADS (analog digital simulcast), will the TiVo pick up and use the digital versions of all channels, or will it still use the analog versions for the lower channels?
I don't think I saw an answer to this, and I'm still wondering. I can't quite figure out what it's doing. I can see the simulcast channels in the lineup (in the 7XX range), but it won't let me tune to them. I can't tell if I'm actually getting the digital versions of the channels on the real channel numbers (e.g. 4) or not. It would be nice if it were taking the digital signal and writing it straight to disk, just as it supposedly does with the upper (digital-only) channels.
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #220
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarjacket
Have you done the math?
Actually, no. Because I've had lifetime on my DTV account for a while now. And I have a pre-paid lifetime gift certificate I plan to use, one day, on a Series 3. (But that's just me.)

Now that you put it that way, though, I see why the "transfer fee" is not such a great deal after all. They should allow your old box to continue to work indefinitely. Or make the transfer free.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #221
EricScott

Quote:
Sorry, no. Just the modes listed in the FAQ and Review. You could force the TiVo to scale everything to 1080i, including SD. Or Native would leave SD in 480i, but then some HD would be 720p. The only way around this would be to dive into the settings screen and change the settings based on what you're about to watch.
My display (Samsung DLP) won't accept 480i over HDMI. Can I still use Native or will SD channels get messed up? On my 8300 HD I pass it 480p, 720p and 1080i with pretty good results. Would love to be able to do the same thing w/ an S3.
EricScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #222
comicsacrifice

got mine. have to wait for cablecards. i went to the time warner office today to pick some up and the said they could not allow that. they HAD to send a technician to professionally install the cable cards. tuesday was the soonest they could schedule.

am i wrong or don't you just plug the cards in? is there anything more to it than that? they are going to make me pay an installation fee and have a technician come all the way here to simply plug two cards into a slot? are you kidding me?

i have 30 days to see if its worth the price. got it at frys. can't wait for a clear comprehensive upgrade guide.

the drives that they sell at weaknees need to be plugged into a computer? how come? dont you just install them into the tivo? you mean they dont preload the drives with the hdtivo software?
comicsacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #223
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
am i wrong or don't you just plug the cards in? is there anything more to it than that? they are going to make me pay an installation fee and have a technician come all the way here to simply plug two cards into a slot? are you kidding me?
I just plugged them in, and then called Comcast to activate them. They apparently sent some signals, and then it was done. Extremely simple. However, it sounds like most places are requiring a tech visit, so you're not alone.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #224
keenanSR

A lot of trouble with CableCARDS can be avoided if the office, or the tech who is installing them, makes sure that the cards are "authorized" for the particular headend for the area in which they are to be installed.

It would seem that sharding had cards that were ready to go as all that really needs to happen is plug them in and have the office "hit" the card, it make take a couple of times, but they should come right online.

This is given that there are not issues with the equipment they are being installed in, and the S3 doesn't appear to suffer from any of those issues.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #225
alee

Does the Series 3 TiVo have a screen saver (e.g. screen goes dark or goes to a moving logo after X min of being paused)?
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:59 AM   #226
keenanSR

S3 remote controlling DirecTV HR10-250 as well

I haven't seen this mentioned yet and it's giving me a bad case of heartburn.

How do I prevent the S3 remote from operating the HR10-250 at the same time? I read page 53 in the manual about the DVR switch, I don't fully understand it, I did try it and the remote address is now 1. Yet it still operates the HR10-250. I'm hoping there a simple fix other than covering the IR eye when using each unit.

Plus, if one the TiVo's ends up with a different remote address, how do get the Harmony 880 to distinguish between the two?

I was having all sorts of trouble today with the HR10-250 until I finally figured out what was going, now I need to figure out how to fix.

If there is thread addressing this issue a link would be appreciated.

TIA
Old 09-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #227
eddyj

If either TiVo is set to address 0, it will respond to all remote codes. If the remote is set to 0, it will control all TiVos, regardless of their remote codes. So you need BOTH set to non-zero codes. For the Harmony, there are a couple of threads that talk about setting it up with multiple TiVos with different remote codes. I do this, it is not a problem.

edit: Could not find the old post, but basically, you program the harmony to have two different TiVos, and then tell the remote that it is not controlling the TiVo correctly. It will prompt you to "learn" 2 or 3 buttons from the TiVo remote. Do this (using the appropriately coded TiVo remote, of course) for each, and the Harmony will realize you are using the specific code for each TiVo, and reset all the codes for that device to be the specific codes (not the 0 codes). Then everything works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eddyj : 09-16-2006 at 07:44 AM.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #228
keenanSR

Great! Thanks, I'll be giving it a try later today.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #229
tgibbs

The routine to identify the remote language/code can be found on your Harmony home page under "More options" for each TiVo device. It is called "Confirm infrared commands."
tgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #230
getgray

Great FAQ, thanks.

I use universal remotes (e.g. Pronto). Anyone know the Tivo protocol and device ID so I can create some universal remove files? Of better yet, anyone have the files for a S3 yet? (not learned)

Thanks,
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #231
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Kind of - the S2 remote lacks buttons that are kind of important, like Aspect.
Comparing the S2 and S3 remotes, the only difference I could see is that the "PIP/Window" button is replaced by the "Aspect" button. Has anyone tried the S2 remote with the S3? Perhaps those two are actually the same, just different labeling on the remote.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #232
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgray
Great FAQ, thanks.

I use universal remotes (e.g. Pronto). Anyone know the Tivo protocol and device ID so I can create some universal remove files? Of better yet, anyone have the files for a S3 yet? (not learned)

Thanks,
Scott
I'm not sure if this will help you but I asked question about the IR codes here and they are the same as most other TiVos.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #233
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbs
The routine to identify the remote language/code can be found on your Harmony home page under "More options" for each TiVo device. It is called "Confirm infrared commands."
I must be doing something wrong.

I have the DirecTV HR10-250 with Remote Add-2
The S3 is with Remote Add-1

The S3 seems to work properly in that it turns "on and off" when it's supposed to.

The HR10-250 also turns on when the S3 does and responds the the commands directed at the S3.

Also, when using the HR10-250, and then switch to using the S3, the HR10-250 does not shutdown and continues to respond the commands directed at the S3.

When confirming the commands at the Harmony site I'm a bit confused as to what button is the Power Toggle, and I suspect that it where my problem.

What button do you press to turn the HR10-150 "off" or put it into Standby?

I think I'm close to what I need, but the power toggle thing has me a bit confused.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #234
nexus99

A couple of pages abck people were asking about seeting up befoer they ahve cable cards... I got my S3 a couple of days ago and couldn't wait for my CableCard install. I plugged it all up and and through the guided install. I told it "no cards" and it quickly set up for my 99 basic (non-digital) channels. It pulled a day or so's worth of channel info on the first "call" - I have this on my DSL connection - so I was off to the races immediately. Over night it looks like it pulled a full set of program data.

I am upgrading from a S1 so I am still ooohing and ahhhing over the whole Tivo Desktop and built in internet radio. This is the first time I have quickly bought a new-to-market product... I hope I don't kick myself later.

I will report back on Thursday when my Cable Cards are in (Comcast) and I can fire up the HD.

Is there any concensus yet on which display is better from the Tivo- 720P or 1080i?
nexus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #235
keenanSR

Different question.

On the front panel on the unit there are 4 little LED windows, 2 on each side of the display window. What are those for? Currently mine has the upper left lit up red.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #236
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Different question.

On the front panel on the unit there are 4 little LED windows, 2 on each side of the display window. What are those for? Currently mine has the upper left lit up red.
Red is usually recording. From the pics I have seen there are two red LEDs on the left that seem to indicate that a show is recording.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #237
sharding

Right, the two red lights on the left indicate a program recording (one for each tuner). If it's a scheduled recording, it shows the program name. If it's a suggestion, it doesn't (just the red light comes on). The orange light on the bottom right indicates that it's receiving a signal from the remote. I'm not sure what the fourth light is for. I've only seen it on when I first powered the machine up.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #238
keenanSR

Thanks for the info on the lights.

Anyone got any clues about my post about controlling an HD-TiVo and the S3 with the Harmony 880?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #239
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
Right, the two red lights on the left indicate a program recording (one for each tuner). If it's a scheduled recording, it shows the program name. If it's a suggestion, it doesn't (just the red light comes on). The orange light on the bottom right indicates that it's receiving a signal from the remote. I'm not sure what the fourth light is for. I've only seen it on when I first powered the machine up.
What color is it? The fourth LED that is...

Also, are these actually LEDs, or are they part of the OLED display?

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 09-17-2006 at 10:35 PM.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #240
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Thanks for the info on the lights.

Anyone got any clues about my post about controlling an HD-TiVo and the S3 with the Harmony 880?
Using the original remotes, set one to 1 and the other to 2, or 2-3, 3-4, just don't go higher than 5, the 880 has a problem with addresses higher than 5.
This procedure is in the manual of each TiVo.

Then I forget exactly how to set the 880 to those remote codes.
I know I found it via search on the 880 web page,
search for "multiple TiVo's" or "TiVo Addresses" or something like that,
and you have to point each original at the back of the 880 while connected, and it has you push 3 buttons on the original, then move onto the other.
I have it running 3 TiVo's in the same room right now, and it works perfect.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote