TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #31
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT816
Cox OKC told me that it would be a flat $1.99 per card/mo and I could pick them up at any location when it was convenient for a self install.
ROFL! What else is new? When I was trying to decide whether to get a CableCARD or another 8300HD box for my new TV in my kitchen-breakfast room, I got at least three answers as to how much more a second HD box would cost me.

In the interest of science, I called Cox again just now. THIS rep repeated that the cards "must be professionally installed," but contrary to the guy I talked to earlier today, said that the installation charge is $30 for each card, no matter how many they install. Frankly, I think that the professional installation requirement is correct but whether there really is a discount available on the installation charge for additional cards is anybody's guess.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #32
adunnigan
Tivoholic

Cox--Phoenix--scheduled install in 10 days:
$2.00 per card/month plus $2.00 per card/month for digital gateway service
$49 (total) installation charge
Guy actually seemed fairly confident on these prices
Now I just have to let the Mrs know we're buying a series 3...
adunnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #33
LonV

Cox, Phoenix:

I mentioned that I needed 2 CableCards, and they asked me if I was replacing both of my CableBoxes, I said no, just the HD one. Then they asked if I knew I would lose my DVR service, I said yep. While they never quoted me a price on the cablecards (I'm just hoping they're free so I didn't bring it up) he said the install was only $35 total. Hopefully it's no more than $2 per and they're actually bringing two instead of one.
LonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #34
TheRatPatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDravenStone
Just called Cox in Phoenix...
2.00 per card (multi streams not available yet he says).
Must roll truck for install 49.95 for one card, 64.95 for two cards, one device.

(Don't have 1000 bucks to drop on an S3 though.)
Thats crazy. No reason why they don't allow you to pick the cards up from their office and install them yourself. Anything to make money I guess.
TheRatPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #35
Goofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonV
Cox, Phoenix:

I mentioned that I needed 2 CableCards, and they asked me if I was replacing both of my CableBoxes, I said no, just the HD one. Then they asked if I knew I would lose my DVR service, I said yep. While they never quoted me a price on the cablecards (I'm just hoping they're free so I didn't bring it up) he said the install was only $35 total. Hopefully it's no more than $2 per and they're actually bringing two instead of one.
I picked up my S3 at Fry's in north Phoenix here tonight (they have them in stock, everywhere else I looked in town was no-go). Got home and messed around with it on my regular analog cable, ATSC OTA and cable unencrypted QAM locals. Looks *GREAT* on the digital signals. SD and HD downconvert to 480i was wonderful even over the SVID connection I was using to test (I didn't want to start pulling out all the wiring until I am ready to use it permanantly, plus I need to pick up a HDMI to DVI adapter for my TV). I can't wait to see this thing over an actual HD connection.

Planning on spending a bit of time on Saturday copying all the SP and wishlist settings off my old unit and doing a proper install with nice neat wiring and a full removal of all my old DTiVo cabling. We'll see how it really looks then...

Called Cox Phoenix for a CC install tonight a bit earlier and was told it would be 35$ flat fee install for both cards, and 2$ a month per card as a rental fee. We'll see how it goes next Thursday when they install the cards (earliest install date where I had open schedule).

I'm also planning on calling and asking for a discount on the truck roll since I would have done a self install if the bloody bastards would have given me the option. How frigging hard is it to plug in a card, call a number and read them info off the screen? I can also see where they are coming from since I work in IT and see how ignorant/stupid some people can be... Eh, such is life. What is another 35$ after I already dropped 870$ ($799 +tax, ouch, I should learn to be more patient and order online).
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #36
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball
I picked up my S3 at Fry's in north Phoenix here tonight (they have them in stock
Did you check out the Fry's on Baseline? I'm gonna swing by there this morning...and now I can't believe it but maybe go to the one you went to. Well, apparently my Friday work productivity is shot!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #37
aztivo

Quote:
Did you check out the Fry's on Baseline? I'm gonna swing by there this morning...and now I can't believe it but maybe go to the one you went to. Well, apparently my Friday work productivity is shot!
Lon let me know I called the Baseline one last night and they had no idea what I was talking about.. and it was 830 so I couldnt get there much before 9.. SO let me know when you can
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #38
boomvader

Quote:
Fry's in N. PHX had 2 in stock last night.

-boom
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #39
Goofball

Quote:
I didn't check the Fry's on Baseline. My assumption that they had stock is based on the fact that they are the distribution hub for both Fry's stores in Phoenix, therefore all product should go there first and then get split between the two stores.
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #40
YazooWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball
Called Cox Phoenix for a CC install tonight a bit earlier and was told it would be 35$ flat fee install for both cards, and 2$ a month per card as a rental fee. We'll see how it goes next Thursday when they install the cards (earliest install date where I had open schedule).

I'm also planning on calling and asking for a discount on the truck roll since I would have done a self install if the bloody bastards would have given me the option. How frigging hard is it to plug in a card, call a number and read them info off the screen? I can also see where they are coming from since I work in IT and see how ignorant/stupid some people can be... Eh, such is life. What is another 35$ after I already dropped 870$ ($799 +tax, ouch, I should learn to be more patient and order online).
When I called Cox/Phoenix I was told it was $49.95 for install. Wonder why you were told $35.
YazooWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #41
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazooWho
When I called Cox/Phoenix I was told it was $49.95 for install. Wonder why you were told $35.
Isn't it obvious by now that no cable CSR knows anything?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #42
Dark Helmet

I am curious about what other Cox customers are seeing in terms of total fees for two CableCARDs.

What Cox/Fairfax is telling me is that it's $29.99 per card for the install (even though I did two at once). Also, while the card rental is $1.99 per card, I have to pay for two digital outlets (At $5.99 a pop). I already have one digital cable box, so that's why the first one isn't $6.99 I guess. Are other Cox customers in other locations not paying this extra digital outlet charge?

I can live with the double install cost, but the extra digital outlet fee really sticks in my craw, because you don't pay for two outlets for their dual-tuner DVR. I know, $5.99 isn't going to bankrupt me ... but still, it's the principal of the thing.

I feel like I want to complain to someone ... the thing is, I'm not sure who. The CSR I spoke with basically said "Well, it's two cablecards, so it's two outlets" and didn't buy my argument about it being one device. She was clueless about the S3 TiVo, though. Some research leads me to believe that the FCC won't care about it ... and it seems like in Virginia my local Government (Fairfax County) is the one that regulates Cox, but their web site really didn't have a complaint form. I suppose I could always write a letter.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #43
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo
Lon let me know I called the Baseline one last night and they had no idea what I was talking about.. and it was 830 so I couldnt get there much before 9.. SO let me know when you can
aztivo, I checked Baseline didn't see anything (but didn't ask around). I drove over to the Thunderbird location and didn't see anything, asked around, asked more people, and finallly found one that they were going to use as a floor model (not yet opened)...I bought it.

The guy did mention that he thought they only got 2 in and based on the other posts, I would say I was #2.

Did you cancel your order with Tivo? If for some reason, my tivo.com order actually does shows up today, you're more than welcome to drive to Chandler to buy it from me.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #44
aztivo

Quote:
aztivo, I checked Baseline didn't see anything (but didn't ask around). I drove over to the Thunderbird location and didn't see anything, asked around, asked more people, and finallly found one that they were going to use as a floor model (not yet opened)...I bought it.

The guy did mention that he thought they only got 2 in and based on the other posts, I would say I was #2.

Did you cancel your order with Tivo? If for some reason, my tivo.com order actually does shows up today, you're more than welcome to drive to Chandler to buy it from me.
I live in Chandler and I have one coming from CC that will be here monday (I already have tracking info from Fed EX) and I did not cancel the one from tivo as I want to see if it realy ships today. Thanks for the offer though
Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #45
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I am curious about what other Cox customers are seeing in terms of total fees for two CableCARDs.
I am now convinced that there is no definitive way to know for sure how much any additional service will cost until you get your bill. As I indicated in an earlier post, three calls to Cox OKC produced three separate answers as to how much the addition of two new CableCARDs would add to the monthly bill. I guess we have to live with the immutable fact that cable company reps are universally clueless and unreliable.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #46
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
I am now convinced that there is no definitive way to know for sure how much any additional service will cost until you get your bill. As I indicated in an earlier post, three calls to Cox OKC produced three separate answers as to how much the addition of two new CableCARDs would add to the monthly bill. I guess we have to live with the immutable fact that cable company reps are universally clueless and unreliable.
And that cable companies so far apparently hardly ever deal with CableCARD customers.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #47
gwsat

Actually, when I inquired about CableCARDs a couple of months ago after I bought a second HDTV, which had a CableCARD slot, the reps knew what it was but couldn’t agree on what it would cost. I had the same problem trying to find out how much a second HD DVR would cost, although Cox OKC has had them for more than two years. You are about as likely to get a right answer from a Cox rep about anything as you are if you ask somebody on the street.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #48
jasonpot

Cox Las Vegas

Ordered 2 cable cards, they said it would be $60 to install them both and $1.99 @ monthly.

Minus the $4.95/month to rent their box but plus $6.00 for the "HD Tier"
jasonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #49
djones18

I'm with Cox, Fairfax County, Virginia and have two Cox HD/DVRs which I'd dearly love to swap for Series 3 units (when I can afford them). To clarify how Cox will deal with Series 3 customers, I sent them the following:

Subject: Cablecards and newly released TIVO HD/DVR.

TIVO Series 3 HD/DVR boxes started selling this week. It replaces your Cox HD/DVR cable box (for those who rent them) or requires digital HD service (for those who don't). Cox customers need to understand your pricing structure and installation procedure/costs to implement this capability. Many people are getting differing pricing depending on which customer representative answers the call. Could you please provide an answer for Fairfax County? Questions include:

1. How much to install the two cablecards into a TIVO Series 3 and activate the cards? Can they be self-installed (like your cable boxes)? If not, why not?

2. Monthly rental cost of the two cablecards? Are you charged a single "Digital Gateway" charge (as for current Cox HD/DVR) or are you charged two "Gateway" charges per month? How much are those charges?

Your answer will be posted to all applicable internet forums. Thank you.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #50
boomvader

Quote:

I got the other one. Box was dusty... There weren't any by the other Tivos. I asked and they pointed me to the sales area next to the plasma/lcds. There were two. I grabbed one. :-)

Was also able to do the VIP lifetime transfer.

COX is on their way... Hope they are not being shipped by Tivo! LOL!

-boom
Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #51
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader
I got the other one. Box was dusty... There weren't any by the other Tivos. I asked and they pointed me to the sales area next to the plasma/lcds. There were two. I grabbed one. :-)

Was also able to do the VIP lifetime transfer.

COX is on their way... Hope they are not being shipped by Tivo! LOL!

-boom
Yeah, cox should be here this afternoon too. I'm as giddy as a school girl...who now owns...2 HD tivo that really only needs one.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #52
aztivo

Boom and LonV let us know how the install goes. (you bastards) and I now have to wait till tuesday to get cox out here Damn it
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #53
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo
Boom and LonV let us know how the install goes. (you bastards) and I now have to wait till tuesday to get cox out here Damn it
Cox, just called and there gonna be here in a few minutes...I'll give you an update after he leaves.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #54
LonV

Okay, Cox guy just left. He was surprised that it was going into one unit, but grasped the 2 tuner concept right away and thought it was pretty cool. The install of the cards is pretty much a no brainer....although he did read TiVo's instructions just to make sure he did it to their specifications.

He called for activation and the girl he talked to said she was "freaked out to set one up" (because she hadn't done it yet). Although she did say that they had sent an email about the the Series 3 to the other folks about setting these up...so at least that wasn't a surprise. After a few key presses later (which actually took about 15 minutes)...bing, it was all setup and working.

I really expected someone along the way to give me some grief about returning their DVR and using a TiVo with CableCards, but from the person I placed the order with, through the install guy and his counterpart back at the office...it was argument free and completely painless.

I hope everyone's experience is the same! I'll post my impressions on the new unit after I spend a few minutes tinkering.

--Lon

P.S. -- As a side note, I used my wireless connection that I had for my XBOX and it worked beautifully.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #55
boomvader

Quote:
Cox, just called and there gonna be here in a few minutes...I'll give you an update after he leaves.
LOL! The COX tech is here.... so far, so good. We are going through Guided Setup. Looks like the Cable cards are tied to the model number and NOT any unique number on the Tivo. Good to know!!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #56
timmetro69
Vegas Baby

Quote:
Okay, Cox guy just left. He was surprised that it was going into one unit, but grasped the 2 tuner concept right away and thought it was pretty cool. The install of the cards is pretty much a no brainer....although he did read TiVo's instructions just to make sure he did it to their specifications.

He called for activation and the girl he talked to said she was "freaked out to set one up" (because she hadn't done it yet). Although she did say that they had sent an email about the the Series 3 to the other folks about setting these up...so at least that wasn't a surprise. After a few key presses later (which actually took about 15 minutes)...bing, it was all setup and working.

I really expected someone along the way to give me some grief about returning their DVR and using a TiVo with CableCards, but from the person I placed the order with, through the install guy and his counterpart back at the office...it was argument free and completely painless.

I hope everyone's experience is the same! I'll post my impressions on the new unit after I spend a few minutes tinkering.

--Lon
Very cool! Congratulations.

I have Cox coming out tomorrow afternoon to do the same thing, so it's great to know that they are able to make it happen without a hitch.
timmetro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #57
LonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader
...Looks like the Cable cards are tied to the model number and NOT any unique number on the Tivo. Good to know!!
There is a Host ID...which I would think is unique to the box...but maybe not.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #58
Blackbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmetro69
Very cool! Congratulations.

I have Cox coming out tomorrow afternoon to do the same thing, so it's great to know that they are able to make it happen without a hitch.
Hey timmetro69,

If you don't mind, could you post how the Las Vegas Cox install goes. I have one scheduled for Tuesday, which my wife will be handling, since I'll be at work. Hopefully the tech knows what he's doing, because my wife is clueless when it comes to anything with electricity running through it.
Blackbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #59
LonV

Hmmm, well after doing a reset on the device the CableCards stopped working. Also, now I'm on the phone with Cox Technical support and they are really confused with the whole CableCard thing. I'm getting responses of "we don't support TiVo", "there may be compatibility issues"....now these are the responses I was expecting to get from Cox!

Luckily, although I forgot it when I called tech support, the installer gave me his cell number to call him if I had problems....will do that next.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #60
LonV

Crisis averted! After a long on hold wait, he let me know he sent out a "pairing hit" and all was well in the world again.

He then also stated, that he hadn't heard yet when I was first on the line, but "yes they do support TiVo now, that just became official yesterday". So go figure.