TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
tunnelengineer

Official Time Warner Cable Thread

Please keep all posts related to Time Warner Cable and their cablecard service in this topic. Please post all stories (good or bad) and pricing examples and locations for others to view.

This is not "official" by any means but I like the idea of the other topic like this for Charter or Cablevision (can't remember which one right now).
tunnelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
jmX

LA area: Called tonight at 10pm, and they're coming out on tuesday. $25 install fee, $1.75 a month for the card. They said they had no way in the computer to tell the installer to bring 2 cards out at the same time, so I'm supposed to bug the installer guy when he arrives and see if he has an extra on him.
jmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmX
LA area: Called tonight at 10pm, and they're coming out on tuesday. $25 install fee, $1.75 a month for the card. They said they had no way in the computer to tell the installer to bring 2 cards out at the same time, so I'm supposed to bug the installer guy when he arrives and see if he has an extra on him.
How many ways can TWC be stupid, bull headed, and make this a pain in the ass for the customer. It's bad enough we have a mandated truck role for a minimum wage "tech" to put a card in a slot and call a phone number, now they can't figure out how to do *two* cards.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
tunnelengineer

I have had about 7 cablecards installed over the last year. Not one has been as easy as insert card and call a phone number. These cards have to be "Married" to the tv's and devices. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for the signal to come through. Once visit took 4 cards until they found one that worked 100%. If you are trying to get 2 cards from the cable company you will be making another trip back once you find 1 of not both of the cards don't work right.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Eskimo Pie

I'm with Time Warner here in Buffalo, NY (Formely Adelphia). I called a couple of days ago to schedule the cable cards and she didn't seem to have any issue with me wanting two of them and I even mentioned they were going in a Tivo... It was $1.75 for the first card and $4.something for the second card. I'm wondering if this is because they think it'll be going in another TV and if I can possibly get that waived because they'll both be in the same box. I suppose I'll just ask the installer when he comes which isn't untill next Wedensday because it was the earliest time slot available. I also tried stopping by the local office yesterday to see if I could just pick a couple up and the lady said she didn't even have them... Only the tech's have access to them. All she gives out are boxes and modems. Oh well... Hopefully the install goes smoothly!
Eskimo Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

I posted info about Time Warner NYC (includes Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island) in this earlier thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4369265

Bottom line - you can't pick up the cards yourself. You have to schedule an installer to come to you. As of yesterday appointments were being given out for within a week (mine is setup for Friday, assuming my TiVo gets here before they do!). I was told the cost was the additional charge for the HD upgrade from SD ($6.95/month I think but I didn't write it down), but no additional charge for the CableCards themselves or the installation.
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
tunnelengineer

Also as of note, some TWC areas do have S3 on order so they will have test units available and should be knowledgeable of the install by late next week.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
peekb

I live in Niskayuna, NY and called TWC yesterday to setup a CableCard install for my TiVo that's arriving tomorrow. I was told the install would be free and the cards would be $2/mo. I asked for two and there was no issue. Given my usual track record with TWC, I hope the "tech" will be able to get the card working in the TiVo. I wish we could just do it ourselves...
peekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
josborne

I haven't ordered a S3 yet, but I did call TW here in Raleigh, NC. They charge 1.75 per card per month, but charge 49.99 installation per card. Anyone else here live in Raleigh get the same answer?
josborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekb
I live in Niskayuna, NY
Heh - I went to Middle & High School in Nisky. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
SoBayJake

Los Angeles here, previously Comcast, not Time Warner. Again, no self-install. :-(

First card is free, second is $6.95 (I think its counted as an additional outlet, which I'll see if I can get removed).

Install is usually $28.99 (didn't say if that was for 1 or both), but they waived it without me even asking as I was on hold for about 15 minutes since the CSRs computer didn't pull my account up from caller ID, and when he put in my number, it decided to lock him out of the system and he needed a supervisor.

Others in Redondo Beach (TWC, formerly Adelphia) have reported $1.75 for each card. When I asked the CSR about that, he said they expect things to stabilize, and he "just got out of a meeting where they were dropping cable rates by $15"...riiiiight! :-)

I can't complain too much tho..I pay $54 for cable (with digital box) and 6 Mbps internet. Its part of the deal Playa Vista got to let Comcast offer local phone service, and not a telco. Its a great price if you don't want a home phone (which I don't) since home phone service is $40 (no way to get it cheaper...at least not yet...we'll see what TWC does).
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Lisa898

I've been out of town for a few days and just got home to see the message on my TIVO re HD, so I'm a little behind the curve. I ordered the box immediately, but I'm trying to figure out what you guys are talking about re cable cards? Do you need this card to get the HD?

I already have an HD cable box for watching TV if I happen to be home and don't need to rely on my Tivo. So I have HD. My question is, can I not hook it up through that box (or can I at least hook it up through that box until I get an appointment?). What does the cable card do?

I have brooklyn time warner and frankly they suck and getting an appointment for a day I can make is difficult. also, they lie and don't show up and then tell you they showed but you didn't answer the phone so they assumed you weren't there. Due to my difficulties with these guys, I'm extremely interested in whatever answers you can give me.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
I already have an HD cable box for watching TV if I happen to be home and don't need to rely on my Tivo. So I have HD. My question is, can I not hook it up through that box (or can I at least hook it up through that box until I get an appointment?). What does the cable card do?
You cannot record HD from that box. Without a CableCard, you can only get HD from OTA.

To re-encode HD that is output from a STB would be far to expensive.

You can ditch the STB, get a couple cable cards (maybe even save $ each month), and just use the TiVo directly.

Or if you can get HD from an antenna, go that route, and save even more.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
ahaley42

I asked for a manager to complain about a required tech having to be sent out to do this. They apologized and said it was stupid but it was the rule. She bumped my installation from next month to this saturday and waived the $30 fee. Got the S3 today and Fry's and will be ready for the tech once I upgrade to my 750GB drive.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley42
I asked for a manager to complain about a required tech having to be sent out to do this. They apologized and said it was stupid but it was the rule.
Was this by phone or did you go to a field office?
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #16
Lisa898

Quote:
You cannot record HD from that box. Without a CableCard, you can only get HD from OTA.

To re-encode HD that is output from a STB would be far to expensive.

You can ditch the STB, get a couple cable cards (maybe even save $ each month), and just use the TiVo directly.
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really not very good with technology. I had thought there was a difference between a TV with an HD decoder (or something) in it or not. I thought the decoder part was in the set top box if you didn't have it in the TV. Does TIVO plus a cable card replace all that?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #17
SoBayJake

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really not very good with technology. I had thought there was a difference between a TV with an HD decoder (or something) in it or not. I thought the decoder part was in the set top box if you didn't have it in the TV. Does TIVO plus a cable card replace all that?
The TiVo will completely replace your set top box. It will pass the HD content to your TV via HDMI/DVI and/or component inputs.

You would lose PPV (Pay Per View) and VOD (Video On Demand) by having just the TiVo..so if that's important to you, you would need to keep a set top box around for those purposes (but probably wouldn't need to be a DVR set top box).

Oops..meant to say "lose PPV" not "love PPV!"
Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #18
micro98

Time warner syracuse

was told that it would be 3.25 each and no install fee for truck coming to my house
micro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #19
Lisa898

Quote:
(but probably wouldn't need to be a DVR set top box).
I don't have a DVR box. I have an HD box and a Series 2 tivo. I switch the display on the tv depending on what I'm watching.

Completely unrelated question-Time Warner won't talk to me until I can read them a model number. I need to get a Saturday appointment because of my job. It always seems to take weeks to get a Saturday appointment, so I called now to schedule it.

Time Warner keeps asking me for the model number. They are claiming that the cable cards only work with 2 models. Since I can't give them a model number they won't talk to me.

Anyone know anything about the Series 3 HD's not working with Time Warner cable cards? Doesn't really make sense to me if the only way to have the Tivo work is with the card.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #20
Ruth
Now with toddler

Lisa, from the sticky Series 3 FAQ thread:

Quote:
What is the model number?
The S3 is the TCD648250B.
They probably want to cross-check that it's an approved CableCARD device. They should have this list: http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf It shows 2 TiVos on it so that is probably where they are getting their info about 2 TiVos being supported. (No idea what device the second model number is for.)

Last edited by Ruth : 09-14-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #21
SoBayJake

Quote:
Completely unrelated question-Time Warner won't talk to me until I can read them a model number. I need to get a Saturday appointment because of my job. It always seems to take weeks to get a Saturday appointment, so I called now to schedule it.

Time Warner keeps asking me for the model number. They are claiming that the cable cards only work with 2 models. Since I can't give them a model number they won't talk to me.

Anyone know anything about the Series 3 HD's not working with Time Warner cable cards? Doesn't really make sense to me if the only way to have the Tivo work is with the card.
Use model # TCD648250B.

The TiVo will work just fine with Time Warner, provided you are not in a small market testing SDV (Switched Digital Video).

-Jake
Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #22
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
Use model # TCD648250B.
The TiVo will work just fine with Time Warner, provided you are not in a small market testing SDV (Switched Digital Video).
My #1 concern. Has anyone in Austin or any of the other test markets gotten their TiVo up and running? Is there a thread on S3 and SDV with official TiVo statements yet?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #23
mgonzales
Member Since 12/2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne
I haven't ordered a S3 yet, but I did call TW here in Raleigh, NC. They charge 1.75 per card per month, but charge 49.99 installation per card. Anyone else here live in Raleigh get the same answer?
I am thinking of getting the S3 as well - called TWC in Raleigh and was told the same thing, she wanted to charge me the $49.99 TWICE (for each card)

that is INSANE!

Does anyone know if Raleigh is using Switched Video crap on any channels?
mgonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #24
zync
Long live TiVo

Well here's TWC Austin CC details:

Aw nevermind... expected wait time on the phone was 59 minutes. I'll try again later.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #25
CALnyc

Husband just ordered the S3, and I'm trying to get the cable cards from TWC, and the rep on the phone said with the cards, we wouldn't be able to receive NHL Center Ice or receive any of the two-way programming using the cards in the TiVo. Is this true? I can't seem to find it on TWC's website. She read me the statement from their 'intranet' site.
CALnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #26
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALnyc
Husband just ordered the S3, and I'm trying to get the cable cards from TWC, and the rep on the phone said with the cards, we wouldn't be able to receive NHL Center Ice or receive any of the two-way programming using the cards in the TiVo. Is this true? I can't seem to find it on TWC's website. She read me the statement from their 'intranet' site.
True. CableCards, as they are now, are only unidirectional.

If keeping those other things is important, you'll need to keep a cable set top box. But if its just for NHL, you probably wouldn't need to keep it all year.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #27
jmfairc
Considering S3

Are the TWC cablecards multi or single stream? Will I definitely need 2?
jmfairc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #28
benmurphy

TW Rochester on their cablecard page--sorry no url, its my first post on the form

As of 2006, all new digital services (including channels) will be transmitted using a two-way signal, which is not supported by current CableCard televisions

Has anyone else encountered this yet?
benmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #29
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfairc
Are the TWC cablecards multi or single stream? Will I definitely need 2?
When I spoke with TWC here in NYC, he said "we only have one kind of CableCard." I assume that means single stream. I'm prepared to have the CableCards be one of the truly frustrating experiences in this whole process (despite all of the shipping problems). No way is it going to go smoothly with the cable company's lack of knowledge of the S3.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #30
MurrayJimW

TWC Winston Salem NC

TWC rep showed up today for the cable card install. The rep was completely clueless as I expected. In fairness, these boxes are new and I would guess the number of installs on them even after they have been out for quite a while will be minimal and the rep they sent was a sub and not a direct employee of TWC.

I was not informed of any charge for the "upgrade" service trip. I did not specifically ask as I did not want to give them any ideas. I already had 1 CC in my HDTV so I ordered one additional and moved the one I had from the TV to the Tivo. I also had them pick up the SA8300 while they were here. The entire appointment took about 30 minutes and the bulk of that time was spent on the phone trying to get both cards authorized. It appears this was accomplished and I am now happily recording two shows at once in HD!!!

All in all installing these cards is a no brainer. The only thing that really needs to be done is to call in the host number and cable card number to the account rep for authorization.

We'll see what happens when my monthly bill comes. I believe they are charging me for digital access on an additional outlet by virtue of the fact that I have two CC's. I only have digital on one outlet so this will be a bone of contention if this is truly the case.

All in all not an unpleasant install................
MurrayJimW is offline   Reply With Quote