TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #61
g808

Interesting, I think I'm going to try my hardest to try to get these monthly fees waived.
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #62
jjarmoc

Comcast - Chicago area

I'm with Comcast in the Chicago area (Schaumburg, IL office)

Install fees - $35.98 EACH card
1st card monthly - free
2nd card monthly - $5.99
Install date 10/9/06 (holy cow!)

No gruff about using them in a TiVo.

The interesting part is that when I asked about a self install, I was told this is prohibited by 'federal regulation.' When I asked him to cite the policy, he backed off and said it was 'company policy' He had no answer as to why other Comcast offices are handling it differently.

They wouldn't budge on the technician install, even when I offered to pay install fees and save them the expense of a truck roll.

Despite having the S3 sitting in my entertainment center, it looks like it'll be a while til it's configured optimally. In the meantime I guess I'll hook it up for OTA reception.. DAMN!
jjarmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #63
dnorth12

Update to my previous post.

After reading further posts to my previous post I said to myself p*ss on this and called the 800 comcast again and asked where the local comcast store was.

Got the address and went down there and got 2 cable cards. Customer service clerk was a little puzzled by why I needed two cards. So I told her that I had a dual tuning device that was going to replace the motorola. And she said OK. Did not mention TIVO. And by the way please cancel the install service I scheduled for two weeks from now.

I'm responsible for the installation. No instructions available. There should be some in the manual I was given when I got the digital service in the first place. No number to call to activate. If I am not getting all the channels, call them and they will send a signal to the cards.

I asked if I would be charged monthly for the cards. "No" was the answer.

So now I have all the components, I just need the time to do the install and watch all the stuff on the motorola dvr before I return it to Comcast.

I'll let you know how it goes, but it probably won't be this evening.

I know this is an expensive purchase, but I am tired of waiting around for Comcast and TIVO to get the software written for the motorola. It's been almost two years already!!!! Besides the motorola probably won't be able to perform as well with the TIVO version as the S3 will be. Time will tell.

I ain't jumping up and down for joy yet. I'll wait until I got it working before I do that. And I'm wasting time here - I got an install to do.

Last edited by dnorth12 : 09-14-2006 at 08:30 PM.
dnorth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #64
bwherry

Update to my earlier posts.

In Denver:

An hour ago I ordered my S3 through the VIP page.
I just got off the phone with comcast and got the same pricing a second time in a row. Simply Amazing as my headache is now gone.

I confirmed the pricing:

2 cable cards, no one time fee, no monthly fee.
39.99/month for Digital Silver (Expanded Basic, HD, HDHBO) for the first year.
I must have a copy of my DTV bill for the installation technican.
No install fees. Truck Roll is required.
Scheduled it for a week from now and hopefully I will have my S3 by then. If not I can reschedule.

the CSR wanted to know what kind of TV took two cable cards. I told him a Tivo S3. He said "cool. I'd get the new one too if I wasn't addicted to on-demand." I asked if the tv being a tivo made a difference and he said NO.

Seems mentioning it being a tivo up front just causes confusion... Call it a TV with a very soft oh...
bwherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #65
sTrey

Update to my report re Seattle area:

The cards were free and they didn't even offer to install them, let alone force that on me. However I verified today that they are charging me $5/month for the 2nd card, not what I was told. Supposedly if I return one of my STBs that charge will go away.

(but I can't do that until some time after the S3 is working here. Which means it has to actually arrive, and I haven't been charged nor even received The Email yet )
sTrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #66
keenanSR

Santa Rosa CA(SF bay area)

First card "free", second card $6.95 per month with a $15 install charge. Once I return the 6412 I'm going to lobby for the "single digital device" argument since the $6.95 is actually an "Additional Digital Outlet" charge and see if I'm can get the second card "free".
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #67
amjustice
FINALY HD w/Series3

UPDATE...After reading everyones posts here I called up 1-800-Comcast and got the following
-No they do not have cablecards at the local office (here in Chicago at least), it requires someone to come out
-I explained to her that this was not 2 seperate TVs and rather one device that required 2 cards and asked if they could wave the monthly additional outlet charge, she said yes they could
-They were also going to charge me twice for the install and she was able to wave the higher charge and the install will only end up costing $15.99

So in summary if you have heard anything else call back and choose the option to check on your scheduled apointment and request those changes, there is really no reason you should have to pay an additional outlet charge or anything more then $20 for installation (IMHO that in itself is still rediculious but I can settle on that)
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #68
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Smile S.F. South Bay Area Comcast CC update

At lunch today I took the chance and went to local Comcast office. The lady at the desk was just receiving returned cablecards from a customer going to a new Comcast box. I thought, OH Boy she knows what cablecards are and if I'm lucky I can snag one of the returns!

When my turn came she said that I could not get cards at this office. They're at the warehouse until picked up by the technician. And NO, the cards just returned can't be touched until they're back in 'the system', whatever that means.

OK, I roll over. What CAN we do? My new HD "device" requiring two cablecards arrives Mon or Tues. She can put in an order. OK, let's do THAT. --- She says that second card is $6.95/mo. (I already have one in my XBR1) I told here that it's not two outlets, just two tuners. She says that computer "won't let me change the price". Balls!!! Then she can't get the order input because of some dumb field problem. We agree that I should go back to work and call the 800 number. <sigh>

OK, back at work and I call. Computers down; they'll call me back. No callback. At 6:00pm I go home. At 7:00, in the middle of adult beverage, I call. I get nice operator with name I can spell. NICEEEEEE. --- She gladly takes my order with no questions and schedules me for Thur, the 21st. I ask what charge is and she says $15 and change for the 'truck roll' and nothing for the card.

I just CAN'T believe that Comcast has such poor information dissemination. Oh well, got er done!

Last edited by TBoyd : 09-15-2006 at 12:22 AM.
TBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #69
doctord

I received my S3 today and hooked it up after work. I have a single Comcast cable card in my TV. I took it out and put it in the S3 and viola, it worked like a champ. I was told that I couldn't just move it, but don't believe everything you hear.
The setup went flawless including cable and antenna. Up and running in about 1/2 hour with cable and antenna interweaved in the guide. Sweet!

I stuck with single tuner operation until the second card gets installed next week, but I can live with that.
doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #70
dnorth12

Install update.

Got to the point of installing the 1st card - saw a few channels, then got a message to call my provider to start service on the card. Called. While talking to the rep, she sent some codes and it worked for a bit. Installed 2nd card and nothing. Now 1st card won't work. Swapped cards - nothing. Went back to 1st card in 1st slot and works temporarily and then a cable card error 161-4 that I report to the rep. She looks it up and says it applies to other branded units (obviously the S3 is to new to have any info on it).

So where I am at is:

1st card - works temporarily get an image and after about 60 seconds I get the error.

2nd card - only get the channel banner identifying the channel number and name with a grey screen and no video and then the 161-4 error.

Tried both cards in slot 1 by themselves and both cards in slot 1 and 2 together.

The rep kept asking me if I was sure the cards are seated properly. Can't push them any further in without knocking the whole unit on the floor. Maybe that is what she wanted me to do.

Next step is to go back and get 2 new cable cards and try them. If not wait for the tech to show up Saturday and trouble shoot. If it ain't the cards I probably got a bad S3 unit and will need to go back to Best Buy and swap it out, if there any left after I reported they had them in. (me and my big mouth).

If the new cards work then of course I cancel the tech.

At this point I am continuing the installation as if they will work.

I don't really want to spend the money up front for the subscribtion service from TIVO until I have a working unit.

More later.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 PM   #71
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Cablecard Installation and config is going to be story....

It was such a smart move for TiVo to provide the 12 months sub on the original lifetime box....we may need it until the dust settles....

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:17 AM   #72
gostan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorth12
I don't really want to spend the money up front for the subscribtion service from TIVO until I have a working unit.

More later.
Doesn't Tivo give you 30 days to cancel Tivo service.
gostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:11 AM   #73
corwin_ranger

CT Here too. I was quoted 15.xx for install. I'm actually installing 3 cards. I've used an SD settop box until now. I'm installing 2 in the S3 (Shipping today from Tivo) and one in the TV itself, so in a real pinch (I've got a 2 year old) I can watch a 3rd live source while 2 others are recording. In any case, the quote for the cards themselves are 1st one is free, 2.50 or 2.75 for each additional. I asked 3 times and the rep insisted that there's no additional monthly fee for HD channels. They're scheduled to come out next Wednesday, so I'm not going to kill myself to try and find a local source.
corwin_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #74
fergiej
More hair, less 30lb

North Atlanta here. $15.95 for install and $5.95 for additional card. First one free. Saves me $$ as I'm getting rid of 2 Comcast DVRs. BUT, can't get an install for 3 weeks. Scheduled for Oct 7. Oh, well. I can at least use my Antenna for the time being.

The CSR I got knew immediately what the cards were for. Her spiel was this: "CC installs for DVR's, ect have a long lead time due to demand". No other explanations were necessary. So, that experience went pretty well. And she did check for me that no self installs were possible. She kind of hoped they had changed the policy.
fergiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #75
jschwartz73

Just made my appointment with Comcast in Chicago.

Two Cable Cards, $23.99 install
Truck Roll, $17.99

No monthly fee.
jschwartz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #76
jfh3

Quote:
Install update.

Got to the point of installing the 1st card - saw a few channels, then got a message to call my provider to start service on the card. Called. While talking to the rep, she sent some codes and it worked for a bit. Installed 2nd card and nothing. Now 1st card won't work. Swapped cards - nothing. Went back to 1st card in 1st slot and works temporarily and then a cable card error 161-4 that I report to the rep. She looks it up and says it applies to other branded units (obviously the S3 is to new to have any info on it).

So where I am at is:

1st card - works temporarily get an image and after about 60 seconds I get the error.

2nd card - only get the channel banner identifying the channel number and name with a grey screen and no video and then the 161-4 error.

Tried both cards in slot 1 by themselves and both cards in slot 1 and 2 together.

The rep kept asking me if I was sure the cards are seated properly. Can't push them any further in without knocking the whole unit on the floor. Maybe that is what she wanted me to do.

Next step is to go back and get 2 new cable cards and try them. If not wait for the tech to show up Saturday and trouble shoot. If it ain't the cards I probably got a bad S3 unit and will need to go back to Best Buy and swap it out, if there any left after I reported they had them in. (me and my big mouth).

If the new cards work then of course I cancel the tech.

At this point I am continuing the installation as if they will work.

More later.
The CableCards have code or firmware levels themselves, so it could also be the cards - who manufacturered the cable cards?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #77
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
The CableCards have code or firmware levels themselves, so it could also be the cards - who manufacturered the cable cards?
Motorola and Scientific Atlanta although there may be others.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #78
jfdulles

Pick up cards in SF?

Anyone tried to pick up cable cards in the SF Comcast office on Portrero? Sounds like the Bay Area is all "tech required for install," but wanted to check....
jfdulles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #79
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Motorola and Scientific Atlanta although there may be others.
I know who MANUFACTUERS them ... I wanted to know who made the cards experiencing the 161-4 errors.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #80
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
I know who MANUFACTUERS them ... I wanted to know who made the cards experiencing the 161-4 errors.
Sorry, I missed reading the referenced post.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #81
dnorth12

Motorola cards for both.

After the tivo finished its install process, with both cards in, all i could get was grey screen and channel banner info. Took out the second card, which is the one I suspect is bad and was able to get video on all channels, but of course only one tuner.

I am under the assumption at this point that the card is bad and effects everything else although I don't why it should. Anyway will return it and request a replacement when I go to lunch today and try again this evening.

Once I pulled the card I was required by the TIVO unit to rerun setup so that it could realign the channel information with just one card in place. Will have to do it again when I install the replacement card.

Couple side notes: S3 menu is essentially same as the previous versions. Now playing list sorts recording in folders for HD and SD. Kind of confusing, but I'll get used to it.

Also power cord junction to TIVO unit is kind of loose, meaning easy to pull out. A light tug on cord would pull it out quite easily.

I went for the monthly service at 6.95 because I have no intention of turning off service within the year after spending two house payments, so I don't need the guarantee that comes with the prepaid up to three years offer. Still wish they had the lifetime. I paid for the lifetime on one of their original units, which has long ago kicked the bucket. Still see it on my account info on line and wish I could hack it to reflect my current purchase.

Other than that I am happy. And will be happier when the second card is up and running. No more moto - thank God....
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #82
Wembley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdulles
Anyone tried to pick up cable cards in the SF Comcast office on Portrero? Sounds like the Bay Area is all "tech required for install," but wanted to check....
I'm not in SF anymore, but Daly City/Pacifica doesn't have cards and requires tech to come to your house and, most likely, look puzzled.

I am not looking forward to it. Comcast are the same geniuses who brought me 3 dead STBs when I started service, b/c they don't return the dead STBs to the warehouse, they just put them on the truck for the next poor shmuck getting installed.
Wembley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 PM   #83
Andrew Ruess
TiVo Fanatic

Portland, OR Area

The east-side service depot in Portland, OR is full of idiots.

Over the phone, I've had people quote me: $15/month per CableCARD; $5/month per CableCARD; first CableCARD free and second $5/month; both CableCARDs free; required $75 truck roll; required $15 truck roll; available for pickup (no required truck roll); $5-9 HD fee; no HD fee; additional outlet fee; no additional outlet fee. A majority of conversations included a rehersed marketing message attempting to provide why the Motorola DVR is better than a CableCARD (some of them saying I wouldn't be able to watch any HD channels with the CableCARD, and one moron convinced I wouldn't be able to access any digital channels with the CableCARD...). One gentleman led off with a strong, "I want to make sure you understand what switching to a CableCARD means..." and then listed inaccuracies that attempted to portray CableCARDs as, 'teh evil!!~1

On Tuesday, September 12, 2006, I stopped by the service depot wanting to pickup two CableCARDS. The gentleman at the window politely explained that consumers cannot use them; only certified technicians. He then tried to schedule a $75 truck roll. No managers available (more likely lying to me) so I left.

At the 800 number and the local 503 number I have had people note my account that I am going to pick CableCARDs up at the depot. I have had people confirm and read back to me the note.

On Thursday, September 14, 2006, I stopped by the service depot again (this time with the Motorola DVR). I told them I wanted to exchange it for CableCARDS. A different gentleman told me that was impossible; "digital television service that used to use a Comcast box cannot use a CableCARD as a replacement." That really pissed me off, but I tried not to make too much of an ass out of myself. I politely asked him to lookup my account and find any notations. He was able to find the note at the top of his screen (I could read it from the side as well), but was still convinced someone at the call center was mistaken. I asked if I could speak to a manager. He huffed and puffed but eventually produced a young woman with a sideways scowl on her face. At least Ms. Scowl wasn't mean to me, it was probably just permanently etched into her jawbone from working at Comcast.

She took me to a different window (even though I am the only customer parked in the parking lot, let alone in the building), and looked up my account again; found the note again... then she lied to me.

"We don't offer CableCARDs."

Huh?

After mentioning the FCC more than once, she relented. "Let me go talk with one of the technicians."

After a few minutes of me watching the Today show on the television behind me (powered by that infernal Motorola box), she reappeared.

"I think we can get you setup with a CableCARD."

"Excellent," I replied.

"Would tomorrow between 2 & 4 PM be available for you?"

I looked confused. "Uh, now would be better," I stated. She stared at me.

"I don't have a technician available for you today."

"Is it not possible for me to take one?"

"No, I can't do that. We don't even have them here."

I think a look of incredulous anger swept over my face. "What does that mean?"

"All of our CableCARDs are stored in a warehouse."

For anyone that doesn't live in Portland, the east-side service station is a sprawling complex with three stories to the building (more than 25,000 square feet, I would assume) with a cement rollramp from the raised street-level parking lot that goes underneath the lot and deeper underground. There must be at least 50 Comcast trucks & vans stationed here; you can see a helluvalota vehicles from the I-84.

I think this is when I began gesturing wildly. "So... when someone requests a CableCARD that you claim to not offer or service, even though it is required by FCC mandate, someone goes to a warehouse that only holds CableCARDs to pickup up a CableCARD... all of them one by one?"

She cocked her head and looked at me. Then she looked at her screen and typed some stuff in. Sighed heavily.

"I apologize that the call center gave you wrong information. I want to try and resolve this for you today. I can waive the installation fee and have someone available between 2 & 4 pm to do the install. Would that be acceptable?"

Feeling like nothing else could be done, I accepted defeat by this mismanaged corporate lovefest and said tomorrow would be okay. I also pointed out I would be needed two CableCARDS.

She looked startled. "Oh, T-W-O CableCARDs," enunciating the quantity as if it were a foreign volume. "I'm not sure if we will be able to fit two installs into that time window tomorrow. Let me go check with the technicians." She hobbled away to the den of sin and inequity below deck. After some time obviously consulting with an ancient sagely seer, she returned somewhat perkier.

"It looks like we should be able to maintain the 2 to 4 time window."

My happiness was contained. She continued.

"Now, before I commit this appointment, I want to make sure you understand what switching to a CableCARD means..."

I think I blacked out. But I'm told the appointment was setup. The automagical 800 telephone number confirms it for today.

TO BE CONTINUED: FRIDAY, ~ LATE AFTERNOONISH, SEPTEMBER 15, 2006.

Last edited by Andrew Ruess : 09-15-2006 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Speeling is gud.
Andrew Ruess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #84
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808
I called to setup an appointment today, and I was told installation would be $18.95 + $5 for HD service + $6.95 for the 2nd CableCARD. I can let the install fee slide, and even the 2nd card charge since their FAQ states a possible additional outlet fee for it. However, I'm going to fight the $5 HD service fee. I'm already paying for digital cable service, so it should come with that. Even their FAQ states this.
Do you remember where in their FAQ it says that? This problem seems to be somewhat common and in case I run into it I'd like to be prepared to point them to their own FAQ...
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #85
sharding

I went in and got my two cable cards at the Redmond, WA office today. No problems at all, and no charge. They didn't even ask me what they were going into.

Edited to add:

For any Seattle folks reading, I ended up getting my S3 at the Southcenter BestBuy. It was (according to the guy I talked to, at least), the last one in any Seattle-area BestBuy until they get more. I called Fry's right after they opened (at 8) this morning, and they were out. Then I called the Lynnwood BestBuy right when they opened (at 10), and they said they had two. They wouldn't hold one for me, though. I got up there as quickly as I could (about 15-20 minutes), but both were gone (one guy was in the process of buying the last one). So I trucked down to Southcenter (all the way on the opposite end of the Seattle metro area) as fast as I could. I'm glad I lucked out and got one!

Edited again, this time to add the rest of my experience:

Activating the CableCards was almost as smooth as getting them. I called in, and apparently they already had the necessary information in the system for the cards I have. They didn't ask any information other than to confirm my name. They also asked if I'd already installed the cards in both TVs. I said they're both in one box, but they're installed. She said "they're both in one TV?," and I just said "yeah." Didn't seem worth arguing about. Then she said she sent several signals, which would activate the cards. Several times during this process (each time right before she said one signal had gone through), the TiVo brought up a message that said something like "a technical problem is preventing you from configuring your cable card. Press select to continue." (I'm sorry I didn't write down the exact message). It also gave an error code. But I just pressed select each time, without saying anything to the CSR. It was very closely correlated to the signals she said she was sending. Once all the signals had been sent, I tested both cards and they both worked perfectly. I'm getting all of my channels, including premiums.

So, overall a very smooth experience with Comcast.

Last edited by sharding : 09-15-2006 at 04:53 PM.
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #86
jhurlbut
Make the S3 Work!

Puyallup, WA (35 Miles South of Seattle)

Minor update:
I hooked up the S3 last night Sans cable cards and was able to get basic cable and a high def local or two. Spent 4 hours playing with all the stuff that was not on my DTV HR10-250. I'm pretty good at the games if anyone cares.

After reading the posts here, I swung by my Comcrap Office today in Tacoma and picked up two (Motorola) cable cards. There wasn't much of an issue getting them. No charge for either card, no additional outlet charges. They did have to cancel my appt. for the installer though, which I was hoping to keep in my back pocket should I have any issues similar to DNORTH12. CSR at the local office was very polite. She was very curious what a "Dual Tuner" device was and kept asking questions and finally arrived at "Is it similar to a TiVo?" . . . and I finally told her that yes, it's EXACTLY like a TiVo.

So tonight when I get home, I'll install those puppies and run the GS again and see what happens . . .

Side note . . . THX sound is cooooooooool on startup. I love that sound.
jhurlbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #87
Omnius

I HATE Comcast. My appointment was today from 2:00-5:00. Installer never showed up. I called the local 404 Comcast number for the Atlanta area around 4:30, and was told by the CSR that my call was being escellated and that somebody from dispatch would call me back shortly. I waited 30 minutes and after no call I called them back again, was on hold for a bit while the CSR tried to contact dispatch, and eventually said she would personally call me back "within the hour". I waited a full hour, and called back a third time (by now fairly pissed), and this time the CSR again put me on hold, but evidently forgot to press the hold button. I could hear her talking on a push to talk type phone and I overheard that the person that was supposed to come by "didn't have any cable cards", and then I couldn't hear much else. When they finally came back, I was told that they had somehow scheduled a contractor to come by, and "contractors are not allowed to install cable cards". ?? What the? I guess they have official comcast employees, and then contractors that do some of the work, and only the real deal are allowed to install cable cards.

I raised a big stink about missing work today and all that crap, but was unable to get them to "make it right" today by sending out somebody late, or better yet just allowing me to pick them up and install them myself. I was at least able to get it scheduled for Monday, so its only a 3 day wait, but STILL, I have my fancy new S3 and its almost useless to me because I don't have an antenna and need the digital cable to work.

Anyways, after raising enough hell, I was finally able to get them to credit me a full month of service. So I feel a little better now, I guess thats worth a 3 day wait. I just really hate Comcast, because when they originally installed the service two months ago the tech showed up AFTER the time window (but at least he showed up), but he only brought one DVR when I had requested 2. He also cut one of my cables and disabled the room my brother was staying in without asking or saying anything to me. So they are 0 for 2 with their stupid installers.
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #88
Phantom Gremlin

Beaverton Oregon info

Just a quick note for folks in Portland Oregon west side.

I went to the center on Nimbus Ave yesterday. I was told no cablecards there, need truck roll, install cost about $16.

I have $10/mo cheap cable. I wanted to add HBO + two cablecards. First card would be free, second (after consultation with someone on the phone) would cost $10/mo.

So I'm not buying an S3 until multistream cards happen. So many people thruout Comcast report "first cablecard free" that I think odds are very high that will still be the case in a few months.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #89
dnorth12

I am up and running. At least the last time I looked. Bad cable card.

Installed the replacement - saw a couple channels via the test menu and continued with installation and I am dual receiver. No need to call comcast. I just ignored the message this time and all was working by the time that the rerun of the guided setup was complete (due to the additional card).

Next step finish with the recordings on the moto and return it.

Then got to get my harmony remote on board and I'm golden.

Hang in there guys - it is worth it.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 AM   #90
jhurlbut
Make the S3 Work!

Quote:
Hang in there guys - it is worth it.
I'm tryin' to hang, but am feeling no love. Picked up my 2 CC's at the Tacoma Comcast store today and eagerly installed them tonight when I got home. Could not find any channel information after about 10 minutes of searching. Neither card shows as "Subscribed" in the Conditional Access menu. Called Comcast and they sent a reinitialization request to both cards and apparently it found them cause about 30 seconds after he sent the request, 161-4 showed up for card 1, then about 30 seconds later, 161-4 showed up for card 2.

So as of now, I'm dead in the water. I can of course remove both cards and get 2 - 99 but digitally I'm hosed. I do have a fancy leviton splitter in my network closet that has a -10db to +10db attenuator on it. I had it cranked all the way down to -10db because if it's cranked all the way up, my cable modem and VOIP (also Comcast) crap out. <Sigh> So I've cranked it up a bit, hopefully not enough to kill my internet connection. I'm headed back downstairs to give it another go. I may swing by the Comcast store on the way to work tomorrow with both CC's and try to swap them out and see if that makes a difference.

As of now, I'd say the CC implementation in the S3 is flawed at best. It may be that the CC's are just flakey, but there is not nearly enough information on Tivo.com, or in the manual to deal with 99% of the problems we've been reporting here. This is frustrating to say the least.
jhurlbut is offline   Reply With Quote