Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #181
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs
If all outputs are active, do you also have independent control over different outputs for format?
No, there is one universal setting for aspect, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #182
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould
Can the S3 display CallerID info, eg is it possible to connect the phone line (along w/ ethernet), to get a CallerID display? Does this work on S2s as a feature, or is a hack we'd have to add? And does the S3 modem have callerID?
No. Maybe as a hack. And probably, but unknown.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #183
silentbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
The S3 manual says there's a limited warranty with 90 days of free labor and one year parts exchange. Within 90 days you may be responsible for shipping, beyond 90 days you may be responsible for shipping and labor. (I've added the word 'may' because I expect TiVo to take care of their high-end customers.)
Given that the original warranty is only one year and that the lifespans of people's units (for Series 1 and 2) appear to vary, what do y'all think about ordering from CC/BB and getting the 4/5-year extended warranty rather than ordering from TiVo and transferring my Series 2 lifetime sub for a unit that would be "uncovered" after one year?

(I've worked out the math in the "How to figure out costs" thread, but have no clue about how to factor in the warranty issue from a necessity standpoint)
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #184
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob
Given that the original warranty is only one year and that the lifespans of people's units (for Series 1 and 2) appear to vary, what do y'all think about ordering from CC/BB and getting the 4/5-year extended warranty rather than ordering from TiVo and transferring my Series 2 lifetime sub for a unit that would be "uncovered" after one year?

(I've worked out the math in the "How to figure out costs" thread, but have no clue about how to factor in the warranty issue from a necessity standpoint)
If you want an extended warranty, you can buy a Repair Master by Warrantech service plan regardless of where you purchased the S3. For 5 year plan, look for RMV51000 if you pay $1000 or less. RMV5750 if you pay $750 or less. I'm buying from tivo.com and plan on getting the RMV51000.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #185
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
If, however, you only install one single-stream CableCARD, the DVR will only be able to tune to one channel.
Is there any hope that this will be fixed in a future software upgrade?
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #186
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

FAQ updated

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #187
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
I asked if there will be an update to give the S3 asymmetric capabilities list the S2DT, and this is the reply:
Quote:
This is a feature that is being investigated. It is anticipated that most Series3 HD customers will want to benefits of dual tuning.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #188
Larry in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
There's no reason to "fix" it. In a month or two the multi-stream cableCARD will be available and we can trade in our two single-stream cards for one multi-stream card.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #189
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
If you want an extended warranty, you can buy a Repair Master by Warrantech service plan regardless of where you purchased the S3. For 5 year plan, look for RMV51000 if you pay $1000 or less. RMV5750 if you pay $750 or less. I'm buying from tivo.com and plan on getting the RMV51000.
Would an extended warranty cover a box modified with a bigger hard drive?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #190
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Would an extended warranty cover a box modified with a bigger hard drive?
If the manufacturer's original warranty would cover then the extended warranty should also.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #191
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
If the manufacturer's original warranty would cover then the extended warranty should also.
That's a nice way of saying "No" since the original warranty won't cover anyone opening up the box. Then again, they may not be able to ever figure it out.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #192
BarryPCC

Hi! I've had a Series 2 since October 2002 and plan on getting S3 by the New Year's Eve deadline so I can transfer my lifetime service. First, many thanks to Megazone and everyone else here for making this forum so informative on the S3. I had a lot of questions and all but one has been answered here. My one remaining question is this:

I am a Comcast subscriber in Richmond, VA so I already know that getting CableCards from them is going to be, shall we say, an advernture. I currently buy the Major League Baseball Extra Innings package via InDemand Pay Per View. I know that with CableCards I will lose OnDemand since I won't have a set-top box, but will this Extra Innings package be affected as well, or will it still be received thu the CableCard without a problem?

Thanks again!

Last edited by BarryPCC : 09-15-2006 at 02:10 PM.
BarryPCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 AM   #193
Dizzy49

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
If they're not broadcast in HD, then they don't take up as much room as HD content. 'HD' channels may carry digital SD programs. So it is hard to tell - and, of course, with analog you pick the encoding quality so the space can vary - a LOT. See the tables in my review. Quality would probably be higher on the digital channel too, even SD.
Analog recording will be small.
HD recording will take up alot of space.
SD recording (a 4:3 show on a HD channel/digital channel) will be bigger than Analog, but smaller than HD. The quality difference between Analog and Digital SD is *HUGE*

I record HD and Digital SD on my PC from OTA often. My wife refuses to watch any analog station now.

However, the S3 cost is just too much for what you get. I'll be waiting...
Dizzy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #194
Dizzy49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholst
I am new to the Tivo universe, so excuse my ignorance. Since the S3 has dual tuners, does it have any support for PIP or Picture in Picture?

I have been waiting for the S3 ever since I got an HD TV, but I am seriously bummed, as I really wanted the TivoToGo. I spend a lot of time in airplanes, I find that watching TV shows on my laptop that I recorded on my MS Media Center PC is a great way to kill time when sitting for extended periods of time at elevations > 30k'! Of course I can't record encrypted or HD content from cable w/ my Media Center PC.
Ah, no worries, in the next year or so they will ban all devices of any kind on airplanes, so it won't be an issue any more.

No, seriously, they are considering doing it. I believe they already did something similar in the UK. No carry-ons, drinks, no nothing. Gotta make flying with kids a real joy.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #195
Dizzy49

I'm always leery about buying warranties from companies. I bought a warranty on my big screen tv, and so far every problem I've had isn't covered. I was promised a yearly cleaning, and a yearly gun alignment. Yeah right. Ended up having to pay an attorney to contact Best Buy to get my $500 back for the warranty.

I'm supposed to sell warranties for computers at CompUSA. On desktops I think they are almost worthless. On laptops, they are worth it. Sounds like the hard drive fails on the Tivos for the most part. Under the HP warranty for their desktops, that's not covered. That's normal wear and tear as far as they are concerned, not a manufacturer defect. What's Tivo's take on that? Do CC/BB just extend the manfacturer's warranty, or replace it with their own?

Yeah, nothing like throwing down $1000 just to have it crap out a couple months later. Been there, done that.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:04 AM   #196
comicsacrifice

i'm getting mine today from frys. they have it on hold. the ONLY complaint i have at the moment is the limited 250 gig storage. i really hope someone throws together comprehensive guide for hard drive upgrade (with reccomended drives and parts) OR even better, i hope tivo activates that currently worthless esata port. (and makes it openly compatable with any external esata drives available)
comicsacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #197
albrandwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
i'm getting mine today from frys. they have it on hold. the ONLY complaint i have at the moment is the limited 250 gig storage. i really hope someone throws together comprehensive guide for hard drive upgrade (with reccomended drives and parts) OR even better, i hope tivo activates that currently worthless esata port. (and makes it openly compatable with any external esata drives available)
Weaknees is now selling (or at least preordering) prebuilt 500gb and 750gb replacements ... They aren't cheap as the 750gb is $599 (about $200 more than a bare drive from BestBuy :-( ) ...

However, since the S3 is SATA, home upgrades are gonna be a little harder since not only will you need an SATA controller in your computer, it will need to be one that the upgrade CD can work with ... Linux (at least the version of 2.6.15.4 kernel I have) support for SATA controllers is somewhat less guaranteed than PATA ... (Xandros 3.01 with kernel 2.6.15.4 doesn't support the SATA controller in my HP desktop :-( )

@
albrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #198
albrandwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49
I'm always leery about buying warranties from companies.
In general, so am I ... I had one from BB on my first plasma ... after 2 yrs it died ... took BB 8 weeks to agree that they couldn't repair it (due to inability to obtain replacement parts from the manufacturer) ...

was it worth it? The hassle: no ... the "free" upgrade from an EDTV to HDTV Plasma: yes ... I got a shinny new HDTV plasma for $300 (the cost of the warranty) :-D

Quote:
I'm supposed to sell warranties for computers at CompUSA. On desktops I think they are almost worthless. On laptops, they are worth it. Sounds like the hard drive fails on the Tivos for the most part. Under the HP warranty for their desktops, that's not covered. That's normal wear and tear as far as they are concerned, not a manufacturer defect. What's Tivo's take on that? Do CC/BB just extend the manfacturer's warranty, or replace it with their own?
With BB in the past, they replaced it with their own ... however, the HD is the one aspect I _dont_ care if it dies ... I can replace that, and it has no affect on the lifetime subscription ... my concern is that the motherboard dies after 13 months, taking with it the lifetime subscription. In my setup, it will take 29 months to breakeven on the lifetime transfer cost... I'd like to extend the warranty to 4 yrs, since in 4 yrs, if it dies, the S4 will be released, and I can (probably) transfer the subscription then ...

While it is far more likely the mechanical components will fail before electrical, I had to replace a raid controller in an exchange server this week after only 18 months ... and We've a laptop that had it's motherboard replaced twice so far ... Remember, these are (usually) built to a higher quality build than CE equipment, which is designed to be "disposable" rather than "repairable".

@
Old 09-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #199
bkdtv

Quote:
I would also be interested to know who offers an extended warranty for the Series3 that covers a dead hard drive. Has anyone had a chance to read the terms of the extended warranties offered by BB and Circuit City?

The only moving part in the Series3 is the hard drive, so that should be the first part to go. So long as you have a good surge protector, the chance of the mainboard dying in the first five years is probably quite low.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #200
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrandwood
However, since the S3 is SATA, home upgrades are gonna be a little harder since not only will you need an SATA controller in your computer, it will need to be one that the upgrade CD can work with ... Linux (at least the version of 2.6.15.4 kernel I have) support for SATA controllers is somewhat less guaranteed than PATA ... (Xandros 3.01 with kernel 2.6.15.4 doesn't support the SATA controller in my HP desktop :-( )

@
This is a pure guess, since I haven't even ordered the S3s yet. The normal upgrade process and tools may work by attaching a PATA<->SATA converter, so to the PC, it's just a PATA drive.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #201
albrandwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
This is a pure guess, since I haven't even ordered the S3s yet. The normal upgrade process and tools may work by attaching a PATA<->SATA converter, so to the PC, it's just a PATA drive.
Haven't ordered mine yet ... (I'm hoping to pick one up from BestBuy with 0% salestax at the end of the month when I go to a wedding ... well, order it for in-store pickup as I drive by)

I'm hoping that the SATA-PATA and an SATA-WD adapter (if needed) will resolve the issues, but
(a) have to buy an S3 to confirm
(b) have to buy a 750gb drive
(c) have to buy the required adapters etc
(d) I'm sure by the time I do it, someone will have posted full instructions and requirements :-D

@
Old 09-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #202
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
I'm supposed to sell warranties for computers at CompUSA. On desktops I think they are almost worthless. On laptops, they are worth it.
They are never worth it.

The people selling the warranties do it to make money. That means that on average, people will spend more money paying for the warranties than the company will spend fixing problems. The companies have experience to determine the correct price to charge to ensure that they make a profit.

Yes, some individuals might end up receiving more than they pay, but most people will not. It's kind of like a lottery except that there's no way to "win". The only way that a warranty is worth it for a particular individual is if they have massive problems with their equipment and that's hardly "winning"...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #203
bdraw

I specifically ask for an Extended Warranty from Best Buy last night when I picked up my Series3 and they said they didn't offer it.

I have never bought one from BB before, but have great success with Extended warranties from Circuit City and Sound Advice(a tweeter store)
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #204
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

I've had good experience with the Repair Master exteneded warranty and have it now for most of my gear. Had a plasma panel go bad after 14 months (2 months after manuf. warranty expired) and they offered to replace it with a new current model or refund their cost of same. I took the refund, got a check promptly and bought a bigger plasma.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #205
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
They are never worth it.

The people selling the warranties do it to make money. That means that on average, people will spend more money paying for the warranties than the company will spend fixing problems. The companies have experience to determine the correct price to charge to ensure that they make a profit.

Yes, some individuals might end up receiving more than they pay, but most people will not. It's kind of like a lottery except that there's no way to "win". The only way that a warranty is worth it for a particular individual is if they have massive problems with their equipment and that's hardly "winning"...
Well, of course. Same goes for health, homeowners, fire, car, flood, and any other kind of insurance out there. If it didn't make someone a profit, it wouldn't exist.

It's an insurance policy. Plain and simple.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #206
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
I specifically ask for an Extended Warranty from Best Buy last night when I picked up my Series3 and they said they didn't offer it.

I have never bought one from BB before, but have great success with Extended warranties from Circuit City and Sound Advice(a tweeter store)
The S3 is finally in a couple of the BBs here, and the web site encouraged me to put the $29 DVR/TIVO extended warranty in my cart.

I have had extremely bad experiences with BBs service policies and I stopped buying them years ago. They were doing all their own "repairs" and holding on to your equipment for weeks, then returning it none the better.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #207
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw

Yes, they do, I paid $30 for a 4 year plan, at that price it was a steal. The register code is 3762404 for TiVo/Replay.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #208
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
They are never worth it.

I almost never buy extended warrenties. Twice in my life I have- both times it happened to work out. Once for a camcorder (I brok ethe previous one so figured I better get it) and more recently for my LCD RPTV- when I bought it it was like one complete paycheck and it was new technology- so i picked up the extented waretny at CC. THe other day the bulb died- it costs $399 to buy. Warrenty paid for. If the bulb just happens to die again before the end date and I call to get another bulb mailed, then i'll make a pile on it....

Last edited by MichaelK : 09-15-2006 at 09:50 AM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #209
silentbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
I would also be interested to know who offers an extended warranty for the Series3 that covers a dead hard drive. Has anyone had a chance to read the terms of the extended warranties offered by BB and Circuit City?
On a related note, does anyone know if the EW at BB has covered dead hard drives for the Series 1/2 models?
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #210
Canoehead
1 of The Curs'd 200

Don't most HDDs have a 3 year manufacturers warranty? Anyway, the HDD that costs $200 today (500gigs) will cost $100 in 2 years, so it is not the worst thing to have to replace.
Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote