Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #151
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
if you have a TiVo, why do you watch Live TV?
News and sports.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #152
Andrew Ruess
TiVo Fanatic

FAQ Addition

Not sure if this is FAQ worthy, but Weaknees has announced they've been able to upgrade the hard drive to 750gb. I assume they didn't have to replace the WD unified SATA power/data connector.

http://www.wkblog.com/2006/09/early_...ies_3_upg.html
Andrew Ruess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #153
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

You do not need to use splitters for this to work. There are two individual inputs; one for cable, one for antenna.

Each input is split internally to allow tuning to two separate channels regardless of source (2 cbl, 2 ant, 1 cbl/1 ant), whether you are recording or just watching LiveTV. And you can still watch something from Now Playing while the tuners are off doing their thing.

If, however, you only install one single-stream CableCARD, the DVR will only be able to tune to one channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #154
sharding

We watch live TV all the time. If one of the main shows we watch is on, and we're home and not doing anything, we're going to watch it. We're not going to arbitrarily avoid watching it, just so we don't have to watch live. Especially for things like sports or reality shows, where the results are going to be all over the news as soon as it's over. Or for the news, as shiffrin suggests.

To me, that feels almost like taking a much longer route to work, just to "take advantage" of a new car's better gas mileage. I love that TiVo doesn't force me to watch things live when it's not convenient. But I'm not going to avoid watching things live just because TiVo allows it...
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #155
Todd
Stig Twins are Here!

Anyone know what speed the CPU is in it?

"Money is fungible, no?" - Turtleboy
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #156
smak
TV MA SLV

Jerry, i'm curious. Follow my reasoning here:

With 2 cable cards, the Tivo knows that I can record two things at once. Dual Tuners
With 1 cable card, the Tivo knows that I can only record one thing at once. Single Tuner

So why not with 0 cable cards, couldn't the Tivo know that I can MRV or TTG?

Forgetting about the HD part of that, where sending HD to a series 2 is a problem, if i am not using a cable card at all, why should the cablelabs people have any say in what I do with my programming?

And since i need to do a guided setup to get cable cards to even work in the first place, why if i say "no cable cards" or whatever the setup is, shouldn't those 2 features be available to me?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #157
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

If I hook up the box before the installer comes, will it start downloading guide data? So I won't have to wait forever after the installation to start programming the SPs and what-not?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #158
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
If I hook up the box before the installer comes, will it start downloading guide data? So I won't have to wait forever after the installation to start programming the SPs and what-not?
Yes and no.

If you set it up immediately for Cable (no cards), it won't know you have the digital channels. You'll have access to your analog channels and can set up SPs for them. Once you get the cards, you'll need to Repeat Guided Setup to recognize the digital channels.

If you decide to set up for Cable (telling the box you have cards, even though you don't), you could certainly set up the SPs but the box wouldn't know it doesn't get the channels, so it would start trying to record from channels it can't tune yet (you've got data but no video). Plus, once you install the cards later, you'd still have to Repeat Guided Setup to get it to work right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #159
sharding

I'm not sure if this has already been answered. I couldn't find it anywhere.

In a cable system with ADS (analog digital simulcast), will the TiVo pick up and use the digital versions of all channels, or will it still use the analog versions for the lower channels?
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #160
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
If you decide to set up for Cable (telling the box you have cards, even though you don't), you could certainly set up the SPs but the box wouldn't know it doesn't get the channels, so it would start trying to record from channels it can't tune yet (you've got data but no video). Plus, once you install the cards later, you'd still have to Repeat Guided Setup to get it to work right.
Well, maybe I'm asking the wrong question. With the old SA TiVos, it would be hours before you had enough Guide Data to get things done. Since we're in the thick of Fall Season, I'd rather not have to wait, and risk missing shows. How long will it take between the time the cable guy slips the CableCards in and I can start adding Season Passes?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #161
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

Things have changed since the days of S1. If you have a network, the call time is much shorter. I think I remember seeing that the new guided setup (I think it was introduced with 7.2?) gets a day or two of information with the second call, making it a very short download. You can start setting up recordings over the next day or so. I'm assuming S3 uses the new guided setup.

Another call goes out shortly thereafter and gets the rest of the guide info (but I'd make that connection manually to speed things up even more if I were you). If what I've read is correct, the S3 should digest that info way faster.

The race is on for someone to set up and tell us how it goes!! Who is going to win??
Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #162
comicsacrifice

curious about some stuff...

does anyone know when they will be activating the ESATA port? will it be before 07? I am so dissapointed with TIVO for releasing this thing with such a puny drive. 30 hours of HD??

I need to replace the drive. thanks tivo.

any guides on how to do this safely? what size is the drive in the series 3, what model is best to buy? everyone keeps talking about WD and some special port connection. has anyone figured out what exact model to buy? how exactly to install?

is anyone else as bummed out as me about this? man... what a HUGE dissapointment.
comicsacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #163
comicsacrifice

what drive should I buy? what all do I need?

is this the drive?

Raptor? The WD360 Alias Raptor With 10,000 Rpm And Serial ATA Interface
comicsacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #164
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
what drive should I buy? what all do I need?

is this the drive?

Raptor? The WD360 Alias Raptor With 10,000 Rpm And Serial ATA Interface
This is one drive you should NOT use for TiVo. No need for 10K RPM drives.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #165
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsacrifice
any guides on how to do this safely? what size is the drive in the series 3, what model is best to buy? everyone keeps talking about WD and some special port connection. has anyone figured out what exact model to buy? how exactly to install?
The only place I've seen doing upgrades is WeaKnees.com. No one else has said anything about upgrades. All the existing tools were doe IDE drives, so no one knows yet what needs to be done for SATA and how the tools work.

The S3 has a 250GB WD drive. Look at the photos for the specifics, there are photos of the label on the drive. The TiVo uses a proprietary WD SATA connector which may not fit other brands.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #166
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo
After S3 completes its channel scan, will I be able to deselect the DT subchannels from the channel lineup?
Yes. Each channel is listed in the channels list, so 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc, are all (de)selectable.

Quote:
Will deselecting a subchannel prevent that subchannel from being recorded when a program on the main channel is selected for recording?
I believe the unit records *channels*, not carriers. So if you record 2-1 it is NOT recording 2-2 or 2-3.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #167
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelengineer
ok, here's a potentially noob question for you. Does the HDMI cable transmit both the digital video and digital audio form the S3 to the TV
Yes.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #168
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo
I believe HDMI audio is two channel only, i.e. - stereo. For multi-channel output, e.g. - Dolby Digital or PCM, you would need to use the optical output into a surround sound receiver.
Not true. HDMI carries Dolby Digital, DTS, and other advanced formats. (HDMI 1.3 adds even more.) I'm using it with Dolby Digital.

Some TVs didn't handle Dolby Digital over HDMI, but that should be rare these days.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 AM   #169
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopoesis
Is there a way to setup the output to be 1080i for HD and 480i for SD? Or are the only hybrid options the ones with 480p for SD?
Sorry, no. Just the modes listed in the FAQ and Review. You could force the TiVo to scale everything to 1080i, including SD. Or Native would leave SD in 480i, but then some HD would be 720p. The only way around this would be to dive into the settings screen and change the settings based on what you're about to watch.

Quote:
Also, hows the speed of the TiVo's guides and channel surfing. Though the various Moto and SA boxes are lacking in the DVR dept, their channel changing and guides are usually an order of magnitude faster then on the Series2.
VERY speedy. No noticable lag in menus, etc, at all. Channel surfing has about a 2 second lag before you see the new channel, but that's about as good as it gets since it has to tune the channel, record it, read it, decode it, then output. DVRs always have some lag. But the new channel banner comes up instantly, it is just the video that takes a moment.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #170
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharp
How is the quality of the up-converting of SD content to 480p?
The scaler in the S3 seems to be pretty good. I'm not a video expert, but to my eyes it was good. I don't normally use it though, my TV has a scaler and I use Native normally.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #171
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholst
I am new to the Tivo universe, so excuse my ignorance. Since the S3 has dual tuners, does it have any support for PIP or Picture in Picture?
No. It only has one decoder and one set of outputs.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #172
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT816
Here’s the excerpt from TiVoLover’s outstanding review (thanks!)

Am I taking this too literally or does installing two cablecards mean that you can still record a digital and OTA program at the same time?
You're welcome. And with two CableCARDs you still have dual-tuner OTA.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #173
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff72
Does anyone know if the digital audio port will output a digital audio signal on an analog cable channel?
Yes. The *only* output cable I'm using is HDMI to my TV. Then there is an optical cable from my TV to my surround receiver.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #174
miller890

Does the Series 3 have a screen saver for paused video playback?
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #175
classicsat
Astute User

[quote=smak]Jerry, i'm curious. Follow my reasoning here:

With 2 cable cards, the Tivo knows that I can record two things at once. Dual Tuners
With 1 cable card, the Tivo knows that I can only record one thing at once. Single Tuner

So why not with 0 cable cards, couldn't the Tivo know that I can MRV or TTG?
[quote]

Read the TiVoPony-Cablelabs-transfer thread. Quite simply, they could not have MRF enabled out the door at this stage cuz CableLabs said no.

Quote:
Forgetting about the HD part of that, where sending HD to a series 2 is a problem, if i am not using a cable card at all, why should the cablelabs people have any say in what I do with my programming?
As I speculated in the other thread, likely because the software was unable to discern between sources, so they played safe disabling MRV altogether.

Quote:
And since i need to do a guided setup to get cable cards to even work in the first place, why if i say "no cable cards" or whatever the setup is, shouldn't those 2 features be available to me?
Not if transfers are disabled altogether, as said, becasue conditional MRV likely didn't work for Cablelabs at the time.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #176
overzeetop

I think this may have been covered in one post, but I'd like confirmation:

Does the unit output both HD and SD (over s-vid/composite) simulataneously? I run my HR10 via HDMI to my main TV, but modulate the composite & analog audio into UHF for whole-house distribution. Unfortunately, when you go HD on the HR10, the SD goes blank.

A reply to those who have problems getting cablecards:

1) can you ask for two cable cards for a new TV instead of a TiVo?

2) If you're dissatisfied with the response, in addition to everyone else, drop a letter to your US congressman concerning your problems. You might also copy Rick Boucher, the representative from my district in Virginia. He happens to be one of the few who (a) understands technology and (b) favors the consumer over corporations in IP battles. His address is:

The Honorable Rick Boucher
2187 Rayburn HOB House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

He is a member of the Energy and Commerce commitee and is on on the subcommittee for Telecommunications and the Internet (which oversees the FCC). Even if he doesn't respond to your complaint directly (your rep should), his office will likely keep a file of the problem to be used should an investigation into problems with interoperability come up in hearings (and I suspect they just might)
overzeetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #177
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
SD is improved - I just posted my review at TiVoLovers.com and I'm scrambling to get a bbcode formatted version to post here. But I have a day job and all, so give me a minute. ;-)

As for the other question - ALL outputs are active, nothing to toggle. So you can use the HDMI, component, S-Video, and composite outputs all at the same time if you want.
If all outputs are active, do you also have independent control over different outputs for format?
For example, I had Voom satellite once upon a time and you could set up the 2 video and composite video separate form the DVI and component, so it could be connected to two different types of displays. I had the DVI connected to my HD set and formatted to 16:9 and the s-video to a standard bedroom TV with 4:3 letterboxing of widescreen content.

I also have a complaint witht he Scientific Atlanta box in that it assumes the s-vid and composite outputs are connected to a 4:3 tv, can you output 16:9 format via the Tivo's s-vid connectors?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #178
cgould

Along w/ the "screensaver" (old hack) feature- I don't have an S2 so don't know if either is standard now-
Can the S3 display CallerID info, eg is it possible to connect the phone line (along w/ ethernet), to get a CallerID display? Does this work on S2s as a feature, or is a hack we'd have to add? And does the S3 modem have callerID?
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #179
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by overzeetop
Does the unit output both HD and SD (over s-vid/composite) simulataneously? I run my HR10 via HDMI to my main TV, but modulate the composite & analog audio into UHF for whole-house distribution. Unfortunately, when you go HD on the HR10, the SD goes blank.

I asked this question and was answered by TiVoJerry that yes, all outputs get signal simultaneously.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #180
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890
Does the Series 3 have a screen saver for paused video playback?
Not that I've noticed.

|
|
|