TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

Confessions of a Waffler: I Gave In

Well, I guess I'm a big fat hipocrite, liar, or just plain indecisive.

Despite all the bitching I've done for a couple days about my huge disappointment in the lack of MRV and TTG on the S3 unit, combined with the huge release price, I fell to temptation and ordered my S3 tonight through Circuit City using the 10% coupon linked elsewhere.

I swore I wouldn't do it, that the early adopter price didn't quite line up with my expectations for the S3 box.

Then, through either some combination of low blood sugar, boredom, or an extreme bout of temporary insanity, I decided to pull the trigger. I figure that at the most, there might be a $200 reduction in the price of this unit between now and say, the holidays, or maybe not that soon - maybe next year. Either way, TTG and MRV will be blessed by CableLabs or it won't - and either way, TiVo isn't going to release another box that is going to fix that problem. It will be S3 or bust for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I have a HDTV that I could be viewing my standard def programs on in high def, which since I've owned the TV, I haven't taken full advantage of.

Even if the price goes down $200 in the near future (an arbitrary dollar amount I plucked out of the air), I waste more money than that every month on hookers and booze. Just kidding. I mean pizza.

So, at the end of the day, the box cost $719, overnight shipping $25, and I even popped for the 3 year warranty for $59 - something I almost NEVER do - but in this case, what's another $59 when you are blowing that much anyway. In 3 years, the S3 will likely be dead, or antiquated. Or I will be. Life is short. What the hell.

I drank the Kool Aid. I have become "one of them" - the few, the proud, the people with too much disposable income and time on their hands.

Problem is, now I will have (4) TiVo boxes, and one of them really needs to be retired. Too bad 2 of them are still prepaid for some time to come.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
zync
Long live TiVo

You didn't have to pay sales tax? I thought circuit city was in every state
Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

I did pay sales tax, I forgot that part. I usually try to mentally block out the sales tax part. It lessens the pain of knowing I have no willpower.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
SLCMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
Even if the price goes down $200 in the near future (an arbitrary dollar amount I plucked out of the air), I waste more money than that every month on hookers and booze.
This was more or less my reasoning in the end. Is $800 a lot of money to pay for the S3? There's no doubt about it! In the end however I didn't feel like a price reduction of unknown magnitude over an unknown period of time was worth waiting for. Particularly since I also took advantage of the 10% off Circuit City deal as well. Even with tax and shipping I ended up paying less than $800.

If 6 months from now the S3 is only $200 cheaper, I think that I'd feel silly for having waiting. OTOH, I suppose if it ends up being half of the current price, I'll be feeling the pains of early adoption -- it wouldn't be the first time!

I'm definitely looking forward to my S3 arriving!
SLCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
cotton168

Welcome to becoming one of the few, the proud, the early adopters!!! Enjoy the HD Tivo everyone!!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
bkdtv

Sales tax is the main reason why I haven't ordered one yet. Sales tax adds over $40 to the price. I'm hoping they're available for Amazon.com for $750 or less without sales tax in a few days.

Quote:
Either way, TTG and MRV will be blessed by CableLabs or it won't - and either way, TiVo isn't going to release another box that is going to fix that problem. It will be S3 or bust for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I have a HDTV that I could be viewing my standard def programs on in high def, which since I've owned the TV, I haven't taken full advantage of.
Good point.

The Series3 is the best thing going for the next two years, if not longer. I expect they'll release a minor revision in 12-18 months that uses a more integrated chipset to cut costs and bring the price down, but I wouldn't expect a Series3.5 or Series4 before late 2008 or early 2009. Even then (2008), they'll probably just add VOD (and possibly SDV) support, which most Tivo owners don't care much about anyway.

Last edited by bkdtv : 09-14-2006 at 01:29 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote