TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #91
talmania

According the the FAQ the Tivo menus are in 720p but when it's set to native mode I assume the overlaying menus (where the channel is still displayed in the background) are displayed in the native format too correct? It'd have to as far as I understand it...
talmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #92
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Kind of - the S2 remote lacks buttons that are kind of important, like Aspect.
does the S3 remote work for S2'?

I think i'd like to grab one for the bedroom just for the backlight and I'm goint to go with an s2-dt there for now...

NEVER MIND- i see it does

thanks!

Last edited by MichaelK : 09-12-2006 at 10:40 PM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #93
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Yeah, but that's not always the best solution.

Take CBS for example. They have a lot of great HD shows. But they also have a number of shows (like Survivor and 60 Minutes) which are not in HD. If I record these shows from the HD channel won't they take up more room (despite the fact that the show itself is SD) than if I had recorded them from the SD channel?

not a problem for SD vs HD (at least not if the HD Directivo is an indicator). WCBS as an example is channel 2, WCBS-DT is 2-1. those are differnt in TIvo's head- seasons passes for survivor go on channel 2, season passes for HD shows go on 2-1.

Actually, i'm even wondering why tivo jerry said to nuke the duplicate HD channel. On Directv WCBS-DT from an antenna is 2-1 from the sat its like 88 (it's int eh 80's sorry I forget which). And I season pass for OTA will go to the OTA channel and one for DBS's version will go to the 80's. On my cable system it's similar- the HD locals are in the 100's. I assume the S3 will differentiate the OTA at 2-1 form the cbale version at 102.

Are there cable systems that Map the locals to the boradcast number? So like 102 is tuned by going to 2-1? That might make a mess....
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #94
Ereth

One thing I haven't seen is whether TiVo includes an HDMI-DVI cable? On the HR10-250 they included both HDMI-HDMI and HDMI-DVI. I'm hoping they do the same here, but if not I'd like to know now so I can go order one. My TV does not have HDMI, but instead has DVI and I'll need the correct cable.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #95
Gregor

I believe it's HMDI, Ereth. I needed a long one (25') so I ordered it from Blue Jeans Cable, and had it in a few days.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:24 AM   #96
Ereth

Ok, I was hoping for HDMI-DVI, since they included one with my HDTivo (or should I say my OTHER HDTivo now ). But I'll order one just to be safe. Thanks, Gregor!
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #97
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Both my CableCARDs are free, though Comcast was totally confused and wanted to charge for digital service to two TVs.
A cable company confused? As in not knowing what to do? Like over-charging you? I just can't believe that
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #98
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Quite the opposite, he took one look at the TiVo and said "Um, why don't you put them in." Or close to it. He was a nice guy, make no mistake, he was just a bit unsure about the TiVo thing.
That's the guy I want when I get my cards installed. I don't like people touching "My Stuff".
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #99
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen
I have a WD SATA drive installed in my computer with the linked cable. AFAIK, it only uses the SATA power port to hold itself better onto the drive. And the drive is then run by a regular power connector. And I'm not positive, but it looked like it would connect to any SATA drive. I'll try an' post again when I get a chance to see the pics.
According to the information on the WD site, the connector is proprietary, and can't be used on any other brand of drive. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if the information they give is accurate. It could be that the WD connector has additional clips that mate with a WD drive, or more likely, it's because most SATA drives have only one power connector, and it's the SATA design...

The retail WD SATA drives that use this WD connector require a standard power connector as the SATA portion is used for additional support of the connector. From the pics I have seen (MZ), the S3 doesn't work this way. The power and data are both supplied to the drive through the SATA connections.

In any event, cutting the power cable leads from the S3, and splicing on a SATA power connector would work fine. Its just not my idea of a tidy job, I would prefer a plug in converter.

It's not a major issue, but it did catch my eye, and I figured I would bring it up here before anyone spends money on a drive, and can't get a refund it if doesn't work. I'm betting that Weaknees and PTV Upgrade will have a plug in solution shortly
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #100
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken
Is there a feature enabling you to see how much of the HD has been used? In other words, some kind of percentage or a visual display (e.g. bar) that you can access through the menu?
Aka a Free Space Indicator? No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:04 AM   #101
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Take CBS for example. They have a lot of great HD shows. But they also have a number of shows (like Survivor and 60 Minutes) which are not in HD. If I record these shows from the HD channel won't they take up more room (despite the fact that the show itself is SD) than if I had recorded them from the SD channel?
If they're not broadcast in HD, then they don't take up as much room as HD content. 'HD' channels may carry digital SD programs. So it is hard to tell - and, of course, with analog you pick the encoding quality so the space can vary - a LOT. See the tables in my review. Quality would probably be higher on the digital channel too, even SD.

|
|
|
Old 09-13-2006, 03:09 AM   #102
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth
One thing I haven't seen is whether TiVo includes an HDMI-DVI cable?
No - the list above in the FAQ is all that's included.

|
|
|
Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #103
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmania
According the the FAQ the Tivo menus are in 720p but when it's set to native mode I assume the overlaying menus (where the channel is still displayed in the background) are displayed in the native format too correct? It'd have to as far as I understand it...
Right, that was referring to the menu screens not overlays on video.

|
|
|
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #104
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferrell
Another question, is there a 30 minute buffer for both tuners?
Yes.

|
|
|
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 AM   #105
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould
re the Closed Caption support- is it easily switchable? Menu/setup item, or single button on remote?
In the channel banner on the right is a CC icon. Selecting that jumps right to the CC settings menu. You can set the CC, then 'left' back to the program. Not bad.

Quote:
Also, does it still work, or break up, at FFwd1 speed?
I just tried it, works well at 1x - doesn't work at all at 2x or 3x. I tried both the digital CC and standard CC.

Quote:
and confirmation of Nov date for HD Photos support.
Note I said late 2006 - TiVo asked me to phrase it as late 2006, or later this year. Not specifically November.

|
|
|
Old 09-13-2006, 03:58 AM   #106
keenanSR

Is there a manual available online for download yet?
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #107
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Is there a manual available online for download yet?
It doesn't look like it.

|
|
|
Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #108
keenanSR

I couldn't find one either, thought I'd double check, thanks.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #109
lemketron
Senior Bit Twiddler

Quote:
Aka a Free Space Indicator? No.
I thought that's what TiVo suggestions were for?

If there aren't any TiVo suggestions in your Now Playing list, then your drive is full. If there are, then since we know they're the first things to get deleted, you can use that as a rough indicator of how much "free space" is left. With folder support, you even get a count of how many shows are in the Suggestions/FreeSpace folder.

Of course, if you delete requested shows, it will take a while for the free space to fill with suggestions... which makes me wonder: Isn't there some way that TiVo customer service could transfer my seven years of suggestion training from my vintage S1 to my new S3, or from any box to any replacement box?

I guess it's finally time to start all over again from scratch. Manually reprogramming my massive season pass and keyword lists is not going to be fun either (and in some cases, not possible for season passes of shows that aren't currently running)...
lemketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #110
TiVoToo

Initially I plan to use OTA for HD. After S3 completes its channel scan, will I be able to deselect the DT subchannels from the channel lineup? Will deselecting a subchannel prevent that subchannel from being recorded when a program on the main channel is selected for recording? For example, local channel broadcasts in HD on 6.1, and multicasts weather in SD on 6.2. I would like to deselect 6.2, and have the S3 only record the 6.1 stream. This can save a lot of space. I currently have a HTPC with a MyHD card that I have used for last 3 years as my HD DVR while awaiting the S3. A couple of years ago, the MyHD software was revised to provide option to deselect subchannels from recording. This resulted significant reduction in size of recordings - up to 3GB/hour. As a result, I was able to record an additional 5 1-hour HD shows each week (on a 120GB HDD).
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #111
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
Actually, i'm even wondering why tivo jerry said to nuke the duplicate HD channel.
You mean the duplicate SD channel, right? That was what I had been planning to do. For example, I'll get rid of the HBO channel so that suggestions will record from HBO-HD instead...in fact, I guess suggestions are really the only reason to get rid of the duplicates...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #112
cgould

Quote:
In the channel banner on the right is a CC icon. Selecting that jumps right to the CC settings menu. You can set the CC, then 'left' back to the program. Not bad.

I just tried it, works well at 1x - doesn't work at all at 2x or 3x. I tried both the digital CC and standard CC.

Note I said late 2006 - TiVo asked me to phrase it as late 2006, or later this year. Not specifically November.
Cool, thanks for the quick reply Megazone. Sounds like it works even better than my SA Tivo. Small feature, but surprisingly useful- although no more West Wing w/ fast talkers requiring CC to keep up w/ dialog

Appreciate the correction re late 2006 HD-Photos date also- must have seen Nov somewhere else , will reset expectations.
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #113
TiVoToo

Quote:
You mean the duplicate SD channel, right?
No. I mean the subchannels that most terrestrial broadcasters embed in their digital transport (DT) stream. Nominal bandwidth of a ATSC DT stream is about 8.2GB/hour (19.28Mb/s). However, the broadcaster does not have to dedicate this entire bandwidth to a single channel. The standard permits the broadcaster to divide this bandwidth into subchannels. How the bandwidth is allocated is up to the local broadcaster. A broadcaster might select to have a HD channel, and some number of SD subchannels. Of course to do this, the bandwidth dedicated to the HD channel would be reduced by the bandwidth dedicated to the subchannels, which requires more compression on the HD. Many local broadcasters seem to elect to divide their DT bandwidth into a single HD channel and a single SD subchannel (that usually carries weather, or news, or a multicast of their Web streams). You can tell if a broadcaster is using subchannels, because a digital channel scan will return channel assignments like 24.1, 24.2, 24.3, 24.4 for example. 24 is the DT and .1, .2, .3, .4 are the channels in the stream. PBS affiliates are the worse. My local PBS affiliate has 1 HD channel and 3 SD channels on its assigned DT. There are ugly compression artifacts on their HD broadcasts because of this. Usually for HD recording, you would not be interested in recording the entire DT stream, only the HD channel in the stream. If recorder permits this, it will reduce the size of the recording. See http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html.

Another question is if the S3 deletes null packets from the TS. This would save even more space. [MyHD software does this trick. Now I think about it, this may have accounted for most of the space savings.]

Last edited by TiVoToo : 09-13-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #114
tunnelengineer

ok, here's a potentially noob question for you. Does the HDMI cable transmit both the digital video and digital audio form the S3 to the TV, or will I need to use a optical digital audio cable along with the HDMI cable?

I know HDMI can do both, but am specifically asking what the Tivo S3 does.

Last edited by tunnelengineer : 09-13-2006 at 10:06 AM.
tunnelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #115
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelengineer
ok, here's a potentially noob question for you. Does the HDMI cable transmit both the digital video and digital audio form the S3 to the TV, or will I need to use a optical digital audio cable along with the HDMI cable?

I know HDMI can do both, but am specifically what the Tivo S3 does.
I believe HDMI audio is two channel only, i.e. - stereo. For multi-channel output, e.g. - Dolby Digital or PCM, you would need to use the optical output into a surround sound receiver.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #116
danottey

Question regarding SDTV on S3

I just want to be clear. I don't have digital cable or HDTV, nor do I plan to get it anytime soon (maybe 5 years from now - or whenever my cable company stops offering non-digital cable). My main interest in getting an S3 over an S2 right now is because I currently have an S1 with lifetime subscription and would like a chance to transfer that lifetime subscription. I figure now is the best opportunity. Though I must admit that I am bummed about no TiVoToGo functionality in the S3. I just have a feeling that it will be offered as a software upgrade, but I do agree I shouldn't base my purchase on that possibility.

The S3 has only one coax input. Does it still record two shows at once? Is this true even if I have no Cablecards AT ALL? I saw reference that if only one cablecard is inserted, the entire box changes to single tuner mode. That didn't make sense to me. But I want to be sure that if I have no Cablecards, I will be able to have dual SD tuners from the single coax cable.
danottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #117
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danottey
The S3 has only one coax input. Does it still record two shows at once? Is this true even if I have no Cablecards AT ALL? I saw reference that if only one cablecard is inserted, the entire box changes to single tuner mode. That didn't make sense to me. But I want to be sure that if I have no Cablecards, I will be able to have dual SD tuners from the single coax cable.
The S3 has 2 coax inputs - 1 for an antenna, 1 for cable. These are split internally to both of the S3 dual tuners. If you have no CableCard, and no antenna, you can still record 2 channels simultaneously off of your analog cable input. You are correct that if only a single CableCard is installed the S3 operates 'single tuner'.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #118
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo
I believe HDMI audio is two channel only, i.e. - stereo. For multi-channel output, e.g. - Dolby Digital or PCM, you would need to use the optical output into a surround sound receiver.
Not so. HOWEVER, there is a caveat -- MOST TVs do NOT have dolby digital decoders set up to decode audio in via HDMI, so more often than not one ends up with no audio through the TV itself.

The HDMI does indeed pass PCM and/or DD5.1 audio, and when hooked up to a receiver that allows HDMI input the audio sounds great. An optical connection will achieve the same thing, of course.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #119
MichaelK

Quote:
If they're not broadcast in HD, then they don't take up as much room as HD content. 'HD' channels may carry digital SD programs. So it is hard to tell ....

MZ- FYI that's not generally correct.

Most stations transmit HD all the time on their HD channel even if it's just SD content. They upconvert it on their end to HD and send the HD amount of bits. There might be a small savings since there's less data to start with but there's not a major differnce recording Survivor (which is sd) then an hour long HD show recorded from a CBS-DT channel.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #120
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo
For example, local channel broadcasts in HD on 6.1, and multicasts weather in SD on 6.2. I would like to deselect 6.2, and have the S3 only record the 6.1 stream. This can save a lot of space.
It doesn't work like that. The Tivo records individual programs, not "streams" with subchannels. Each subchannel is already separate. So, if you tell it to record a program that's on 6.1, that's all it will record.

Note: I'm speaking based on the HR10-250, but there's no reason at all this would be different with the S3.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote