TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #61
cap

Was it hard to get the cable guy to let you install the cable cards?
TCD649080 Series 2 (Monthly 7/2006)
DVR-810H Series 2 (Lifetime 1/2004)
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #62
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap
Was it hard to get the cable guy to let you install the cable cards?
Quite the opposite, he took one look at the TiVo and said "Um, why don't you put them in." Or close to it. He was a nice guy, make no mistake, he was just a bit unsure about the TiVo thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #63
MichaelK

and who is your cable company if you dont mind...
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #64
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

I've been through at least 5 or 6 HR10-250s due to failing hard drives. What's the warranty situation with these? Is there a protection plan? I have to pay DTV $7/month just so I can keep swapping these out. What will TiVo be charging for a drive replacement?
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #65
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

If I buy one of these, am I guaranteed that it will work with my cable provider (Comcast in NW Indiana)? I know that was the intention of cable cards, but I want to make sure.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #66
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy
If I buy one of these, am I guaranteed that it will work with my cable provider (Comcast in NW Indiana)? I know that was the intention of cable cards, but I want to make sure.
From TivoJerry's post in another thread:

"All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products. The TiVo Series3 HD DVR product is on this list."
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #67
sharding

Does the front panel display show the names of programs only if they're being recorded, or does it show what's on each tuner regardless of whether it's recording?
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #68
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Quite the opposite, he took one look at the TiVo and said "Um, why don't you put them in." Or close to it. He was a nice guy, make no mistake, he was just a bit unsure about the TiVo thing.
Mine was a disaster. One non visit, two visits. countless time on the phone. My bill is screwed up, my channel lineup switched several times. Very frustrating. They wouldn't let me "install" them, so they had to futz around for an hour on the first visit. At least they did try to follow the directions TiVo provided which was a smart strategy to provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
Does the front panel display show the names of programs only if they're being recorded, or does it show what's on each tuner regardless of whether it's recording?
Currently mine only shows what's recording. I'd like it to show what is on and then toggle the little red light when it's recording. I assume that's the plan?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #69
eddyj

I checked with my local Comcast office that they said I could pick up a cable card any time, that there is no charge. Is this possible? Sounds highly unlikely they would provide anything for free! Unfortunately, this is for my brother, who is thinking of getting an S3 and not for me (I have DIRECTV).

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #70
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj
I checked with my local Comcast office that they said I could pick up a cable card any time, that there is no charge. Is this possible? Sounds highly unlikely they would provide anything for free! Unfortunately, this is for my brother, who is thinking of getting an S3 and not for me (I have DIRECTV).
Both my CableCARDs are free, though Comcast was totally confused and wanted to charge for digital service to two TVs.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #71
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Just when it is recording.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #72
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Just when it's recording (except for Suggestions).

NOTE: I just noticed how I bear a resemblance to megazone's avatar. For the record, that's not me! ;-)

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #73
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Currently mine only shows what's recording. I'd like it to show what is on and then toggle the little red light when it's recording.
Yes, I agree. TiVo folks: this is a feature request!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #74
silentbob

Does my television need to be CableCARD-compatible (i.e., have slots), or is it sufficient that the cards go into the S3 only?
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #75
Amnesia
The Question

TV doesn't need slots.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #76
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob
Does my television need to be CableCARD-compatible (i.e., have slots), or is it sufficient that the cards go into the S3 only?
The Cards go in the TiVo, not the TV - the TV doesn't need slots.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #77
silentbob

I figured as much, but many thanks for the confirmation.

One thing I didn't see in your great review was discussion of a warranty -- I'm somewhat worried about shelling out $1000 (including transfer of my Series 2 lifetime service) for a relatively unproven new product that may not last long enough. I still have occasional nightmares about the GSoD that required hard drive replacement on my unit two years ago.

Also, once transfer to DVD becomes enabled, about how much HD content will be burnable onto a single disk?
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #78
FireflyFan88

Remote Question Series 3 FAQ

Can the Series 3 be operated by the series 2 remote?
FireflyFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #79
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I didn't even think about he warranty - I tend to open things up right away.

DVD Video doesn't support HD. DVD is limited to 480p at best. You can put HD files on a data DVD, but that's it.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #80
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyFan88
Kind of - the S2 remote lacks buttons that are kind of important, like Aspect.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #81
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob
One thing I didn't see in your great review was discussion of a warranty
The S3 manual says there's a limited warranty with 90 days of free labor and one year parts exchange. Within 90 days you may be responsible for shipping, beyond 90 days you may be responsible for shipping and labor. (I've added the word 'may' because I expect TiVo to take care of their high-end customers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyFan88
More important, the S3 remote operates the S2. I like to take the glowing remote with me.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #82
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

MZ,

How does the S3 handle season passes for programs that are on the same channel, but different sources, e.g. if I get CBS-DT both OTA and via digital cable can I control which source is recorded. On the S2DT, with asymmetric connections, i.e. one cable box, one direct cable, it would always prefer the direct cable.

Thanks,

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #83
bidger

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
More important, the S3 remote operates the S2. I like to take the glowing remote with me.
If I were buying a S3, that would be my priority as well.
bidger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #84
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein
MZ,

How does the S3 handle season passes for programs that are on the same channel, but different sources, e.g. if I get CBS-DT both OTA and via digital cable can I control which source is recorded. On the S2DT, with asymmetric connections, i.e. one cable box, one direct cable, it would always prefer the direct cable.

Thanks,

Jeff

Your best bet would be to deselect the channel you never want to record from.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #85
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein
How does the S3 handle season passes for programs that are on the same channel, but different sources, e.g. if I get CBS-DT both OTA and via digital cable can I control which source is recorded.
I can't really test it because my OTA sucks. But when I tried setting it up my OTA channels were listed along with my cable channels with a different number. Since SPs are tied to a channel, I would expect to be able to setup the SP for one or the other.

And you can always remove the cable and/or antenna channel to never use it and force using the other version.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #86
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
And you can always remove the cable and/or antenna channel to never use it and force using the other version.
Yeah, but that's not always the best solution.

Take CBS for example. They have a lot of great HD shows. But they also have a number of shows (like Survivor and 60 Minutes) which are not in HD. If I record these shows from the HD channel won't they take up more room (despite the fact that the show itself is SD) than if I had recorded them from the SD channel?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #87
headless chicken

Is there a feature enabling you to see how much of the HD has been used? In other words, some kind of percentage or a visual display (e.g. bar) that you can access through the menu?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #88
sharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Take CBS for example. They have a lot of great HD shows. But they also have a number of shows (like Survivor and 60 Minutes) which are not in HD. If I record these shows from the HD channel won't they take up more room (despite the fact that the show itself is SD) than if I had recorded them from the SD channel?
That's definitely how it works on my Comcast HD DVR. Recording SD shows from the SD channels takes up significantly less room than recording SD shows on the HD channels. However, even SD shows look MUCH better on the HD versions of the channels (at least they do with my setup).
Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #89
cgould

re the Closed Caption support- is it easily switchable? Menu/setup item, or single button on remote?
Also, does it still work, or break up, at FFwd1 speed?

The Comcast 6412 can't turn off CC w/o poweroff the box, which is extremely annoying. (loses recordings & buffer)
Also, at ffwd speed 1, the stream goes too fast and CC is garbled/lost...

I love My SA Tivo being able to FFwd thru a show at 2x speed, and read (almost) all the dialog on CC... skip boring movie sequences until important dialog comes up
I hope that still works for ffwding HD content.

I too very much hope Tivo2ComeBack (HD video upload from PC) will get enabled soon.
Thanks for the detailed review and FAQ, and confirmation of Nov date for HD Photos support.
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #90
bferrell
Now in HD!

Multiple buffers?

Another question, is there a 30 minute buffer for both tuners? I think the S2DT and Sat variants have this, but wanted to confirm.

Brett
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote