TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
pzook1

Bright House - refusing to provide cable cards

I just called Bright House and they said they will only provide cable cards for TV's, not boxes. This is Manatee County. Anyone been able to get an install scheduled?
pzook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

This is going to be an interesting thread...Keep us informed.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
DTSDude

Look around here in the forums. I'm sure someone at some point has linked the FCC mandate that they provide the cable cards. It's slightly not legal to do that. If they hold their position, get beligerant and tell them with all the money you spend on cable you expect to be provided with a better piece of equipment then their peice of @#$@ DVR and this is your way of keeping the peace.
DTSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

How will they know what you install the card in? Cn't you pick it up in the office and install it yourself.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
pzook1

no, they only provide cards via their install. First question from CSR was what TV do you have. Tried to reason with them about using in box but that went no where. While I could lie and get them out, my fear is that they wouldn't do the install when they arrived and/or would only provide one.

I did get somewhat beligerant but that didn't get me anywhere either.
pzook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
davezatz
Funkadelic

You just have to be persistent. I had a decent amount of frustration getting mine installed and working correctly. Required well over half a dozen calls, two visits, and a non-visit. Keep calling to you get someone who can assist.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Lampei

Just tell them that you have 2 HD TVs that you want to need to install the cable cards in (find a Samsung TV on their site that takes cables cards and tell them you have 2 of those). Then, when the installer gets there, tell them that you misspoke over the phone and that you have the new TiVo. Everything should be fine. The installer won't care what he's installing them in
Lampei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
mearlus

Speak to a supervisor and site the legalize from the FCC about it
mearlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
HiDefGator

Tell them your TV is made by Tivo. The installer won't care when he gets there.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products. The TiVo Series3 HD DVR product is on this list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products. The TiVo Series3 HD DVR product is on this list.
At what price?
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Does Bright House fit the definition?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
tivoknucklehead

I have Bright House and a Saturday appointment for 2 cable cards to go into my Series 3 I just ordered. Seminole County FL
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

If they already provide CableCARD for TVs, they will work for the S3. The OP has already provided me their contact information and I will be passing that along to someone who will follow up.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Gator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead
I have Bright House and a Saturday appointment for 2 cable cards to go into my Series 3 I just ordered. Seminole County FL
When you ordered the cards did you tell them it was for a Tivo unit?
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

I'll add one more thing in here that may be helpful.

If you contact your cable company, and they say they won't give you the cards you want...call us.

When you call, explain that you need help getting cable cards from your cable company, and would like to speak to the HD Team.

They'll get on the line with you while you call your cable company, and they'll help explain everything to the cable representative.

That should, hopefully, help.

Pony
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Wasn't there a special number to call for CC issues? I thought I remembered that...

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1
When you ordered the cards did you tell them it was for a Tivo unit?

yes, i was their first request
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #19
MichaelK

Quote:

TJ-

do you have a link to that list incase it's needed?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #20
bkdtv

Quote:
If you contact your cable company, and they say they won't give you the cards you want...call us.

When you call, explain that you need help getting cable cards from your cable company, and would like to speak to the HD Team.

They'll get on the line with you while you call your cable company, and they'll help explain everything to the cable representative.

That should, hopefully, help.
Wow, I am impressed.

Have you considered a phone number or phone menu option dedicated to this issue -- i.e. dealing with incompetant or misinformed cable company CSRs who refuse to provide a CableCard for the Series3?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #21
MichaelK

anyone have the link to the fcc filing with the cablecard installation guide? I think the 800 number is on that.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #22
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
TJ-

do you have a link to that list incase it's needed?
http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf

Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #23
stevereis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
anyone have the link to the fcc filing with the cablecard installation guide? I think the 800 number is on that.
Use this URL. It's the landing page for the tivo.com/cablecard URL and is the PDF that was scanned & included in the filing (and is included in the S3 box)
http://tivo.com/pdfs/CableCARDInstall.pdf

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #24
MichaelK

Quote:
thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #25
cjw2001

Quote:
What about non-major cable companies -- are there any legal exceptions where small providers can refuse to cooperate?
cjw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #26
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw2001
What about non-major cable companies -- are there any legal exceptions where small providers can refuse to cooperate?
Yes, which is why Tivo says most major cable operators.
jfh3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #27
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony

Pony
Holy smokes. If that's not amazing customer service, I don't know what is!

Way to go Tivo!

Tivo = superior service!
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #28
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Quote:
All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products.
"MSO" stands for "Multiple System Operator". This is "FCC jargon" for all the "big guys" such as Comcast, Time-Warner (etc.) that operate cable systems in more than one locality.

Due to the significant consolidation that occured in the cable industry over the last 15 years (i.e., mergers and acquisitions) nearly every metropolitan community is served by an MSO. However, small independent cable operators do still exist, particularly in rural areas. Also, there are literally thousands of small, private cable systems that serve apartment buildings or condominiums (but those are disappearing, too, as the local MSO or telco comes in and makes the building owners or board of directors an "offer they can't refuse") ...

Many of these small cable systems don't even offer digital cable, much less a Cable Card. In fact, a "rule of thumb" is: "If they have Cable Cards, they are probably an MSO."

wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #29
Zaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmccain
"MSO" stands for "Multiple System Operator". This is "FCC jargon" for all the "big guys" such as Comcast, Time-Warner (etc.) that operate cable systems in more than one locality.

Due to the significant consolidation that occured in the cable industry over the last 15 years (i.e., mergers and acquisitions) nearly every metropolitan community is served by an MSO. However, small independent cable operators do still exist, particularly in rural areas. Also, there are literally thousands of small, private cable systems that serve apartment buildings or condominiums (but those are disappearing, too, as the local MSO or telco comes in and makes the building owners or board of directors an "offer they can't refuse") ...

Many of these small cable systems don't even offer digital cable, much less a Cable Card. In fact, a "rule of thumb" is: "If they have Cable Cards, they are probably an MSO."
How does one know whether their cable provider fits the MSO category or not? Is there anywhere that gives an official list? I specifically have Mediacom in Des Moines, Iowa. I'm pretty sure they don't offer cablecards at all though I've not specifically asked them yet. I'm just wondering if I call them and they say they don't offer them at all, do I have any recourse if they do fit in the MSO category?

I'm seriously considering the S3 but not sure I want to pay that much yet. I do have an S1 with lifetime that qualify for the service transfer, but $1,000 by the time it's all done is a bit steep for me. Still considering, but if I find out my local cable provider doesn't even provide cable cards then I guess there's nothing to consider.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:40 AM   #30
seattlewendell

Do you really need cable cards "installed"? i have a cable card in one of my TV's. The Comcast guy showed up. "installed" the card. Got on his cell and read the numbers that appeared on the screen to someone on the phone. 30 seconds later he was walking out the door and my TV was on. Wasn't that the whole point of cable card, that you don't need the cable company to install it?
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote