TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #31
ROrbin

Thank God that they kept the 30 second skip feature! This is a real make or break functionality as far as I'm concerned.

also, more series 3 info at Gizmodo.com

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/feature/t...tin-199936.php
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #32
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhey
I'm not familiar with how cablecards are hooked up. I know 2 of them are needed to use both tuners. Does the cable coaxial cable hook up to the cable input on the S3 or does it connect via a splitter to both cablecards?
CableCards are essentially hardware "keys" to unlock encrypted content. The cable connects to the coaxial terminal on the TiVo box, and then the content that flows over that cable is unencrypted by the CableCards.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #33
pstryjew

Mega,

What about output "formats". Does it improve SD programming. Taking S2 and displaying to a 50" TV leave a real blocky picture. Does the Hybrid mode help with the display?

Pete

BTW - Anyone in Central Ohio, what to figure out exact what we need from Time Warner? It'll cost $40 for them to being 2 cable cards to your door.
pstryjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #34
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroboth
Awesome FAQ/Review Megazone.
+1

Also:
Anyone seen an official list of supported network cards?

Why does the S3 have two USB ports?
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #35
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
That said, will this box be capable of outputting signal simultaneously to both of these TV's? Or will I need to toggle something before watching content on each?
All of the outputs function simultaneously. No need to do any toggling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #36
jhonaker

I've held off getting Verizon FiOS because I figured it wouldn't work with TiVo. I just tried to find info about cable cards on their site, but no luck. Could someone point me in the right direction? As happy as I am to get rid of the COX DVR, I'd be even happier to ditch COX altogether.

Thanks.
jhonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #37
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
All of the outputs function simultaneously. No need to do any toggling.
Suh-weeet! Thanks, TiVoJerry. I know this was an issue on the HR10-250, and due to how I distribute video in my house, that was sort of a deal-breaker. I can live without MRV for the time being... and am now looking forward to some dual tuner HD TiVo goodness.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #38
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstryjew
What about output "formats". Does it improve SD programming. Taking S2 and displaying to a 50" TV leave a real blocky picture. Does the Hybrid mode help with the display?
SD is improved - I just posted my review at TiVoLovers.com and I'm scrambling to get a bbcode formatted version to post here. But I have a day job and all, so give me a minute. ;-)

As for the other question - ALL outputs are active, nothing to toggle. So you can use the HDMI, component, S-Video, and composite outputs all at the same time if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #39
SpankyInChicago

No MRV?

Oh well. Guess I am sticking with my HR10-250s and DirecTV until MRV is available.

SpankyInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #40
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Why does the S3 have two USB ports?
Universal standard USB widget. They're cheaper than buying a one socket mount, so why not? :-)

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #41
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
As an FYI to those who may be purchasing replacement drives for the S3, please read the following before spending your money.

After perusing MZ's internal pics of the S3, I notice that the connector on the SATA hard drive is the Western Digital proprietary SATA connector. It makes the connections much less prone to coming lose due to vibration etc. ...

Unfortunately, it is proprietary, and one complete assembly. The power and data cables are attached to one molded connector. If you trace the SATA connector back to the motherboard, it appears to be a standard connector, so there should be no problem replacing the SATA cable. On the other hand, the power connector appears to be soldered into the power supply board.

Unless you are comfortable soldering, it would seem that an adapter (connector) to power the HD, or a WD drive will be necessary to replace the stock S3 HD.

Here is a link to the WD cable. It appears as though the cable in the S3 is a modified version of the one you can purchase directly from WD as the TiVo version has the power cable integrated into the connector.

Of course, there is a good chance that a retail WD HD would work without any modification, as long as it can accept power through the SATA power connector on the WD proprietary connection.

Any brave souls out there I know I'm not going to mess with mine when I get it. I'll just go the external route, or possible upgrade with a larger HD.
I have a WD SATA drive installed in my computer with the linked cable. AFAIK, it only uses the SATA power port to hold itself better onto the drive. And the drive is then run by a regular power connector. And I'm not positive, but it looked like it would connect to any SATA drive. I'll try an' post again when I get a chance to see the pics.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #42
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
As for the other question - ALL outputs are active, nothing to toggle. So you can use the HDMI, component, S-Video, and composite outputs all at the same time if you want.
Perfect for us Slingboxers.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #43
Canoehead
1 of The Curs'd 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
As an FYI to those who may be purchasing replacement drives for the S3, please read the following before spending your money.

After perusing MZ's internal pics of the S3, I notice that the connector on the SATA hard drive is the Western Digital proprietary SATA connector. It makes the connections much less prone to coming lose due to vibration etc. ...

Unfortunately, it is proprietary, and one complete assembly. The power and data cables are attached to one molded connector. If you trace the SATA connector back to the motherboard, it appears to be a standard connector, so there should be no problem replacing the SATA cable. On the other hand, the power connector appears to be soldered into the power supply board.

Actually, from what I can tell, the WD proprietary SATA connection is only data, but it covers the normal SATA power connection on the HDD - so you instead get power from an old-style power connector (WD is one of the few to put this on their HDDs) - which is exactly what you see in Megazone's pics.

This is of intense interest to me - since with only 30+/- hours of HD, I NEED MORE STORAGE. I'd prefer to be able to use TTG and store on my PC (should be legal for OTA HD, though when and if we'll ever see it). I'd be OK using the ESATA for now, though that seems unlikely for a while. Thus, it looks like a little dsik upgrade may be in order - you can get a 500gb WD Caviar for under $200, and I can't see any physical reason why it can't be done - don't know about the software. Then keep the orginal disk, buy an enclosure and use it when they enable ESATA.
Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #44
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Does the S3 use the same 9 IR code sets as most other TiVos?
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #45
Troy J B
Lucky 200 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoehead
Actually, from what I can tell, the WD proprietary SATA connection is only data, but it covers the normal SATA power connection on the HDD - so you instead get power from an old-style power connector (WD is one of the few to put this on their HDDs) - which is exactly what you see in Megazone's pics.
yep, from the WD link "you must use the legacy power adapter because the SecureConnect cable utilizes the SATA power port to provide additional stability"

Troy
Troy J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #46
Agent86
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen
I have a WD SATA drive installed in my computer with the linked cable. AFAIK, it only uses the SATA power port to hold itself better onto the drive. And the drive is then run by a regular power connector. And I'm not positive, but it looked like it would connect to any SATA drive. I'll try an' post again when I get a chance to see the pics.
This is the best pic Megazone has of it. (Thanks MZ!)

Link to Pic

The SATA port looks normal on the motherboard. The side of the power cable that connects to the power supply is soldered in. Both SATA cable and power cable run into this adapter seperately which hooks into the drive.

Now, the SATA being normal means we can just swap that cable. But looking at the power portion its your standard 4 power wires, they are just run into the back of this connector.

Dollars to donuts you can just use a standard SATA cable for data, clip the power wires from the connector, and stick a standard drive power connector on the ends of the 4 wires.

The main question is has TiVo changed anything about MFS? Its one thing to be able to physically swap the drive, its another to bless it for use in a TiVo. The other question would be does the SATA port on the motherboard provide power like a normal SATA port? If so, then we could use any SATA drive.

Anyone with an S3 want to plug a standard SATA drive into the motherboard with a standard SATA cable and see if it spins up? .

Last edited by Agent86 : 09-12-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #47
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Does the S3 use the same 9 IR code sets as most other TiVos?
Yes.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #48
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Yes.
Thanks and thanks for posting the FAQ.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #49
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
This is the best pic Megazone has of it. (Thanks MZ!)

Link to Pic
I can't see nyud mirrors.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #50
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen
I can't see nyud mirrors.
You can unravel the URL and go directly to my server. I don't want to post the direct URLs because when I did that at CES it crushed my server.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #51
Agent86
Registered Lurker

OK - working on the fly here. Even if the SATA port on the TiVo motherboard is devoid of power, we should still be in business with any SATA drive we want. It would go as follows.

Step 1: Remove SATA cable end from motherboard
Step 2: Clip 4 power wires from connector.
Step 3: Remove hard drive
Step 4: Take 4 power wires and put them in a standard power connector. (chop up a Y-Splitter)
Step 5: Convert standard power connector to SATA power connector (link)
Step 6: Attach standard SATA cable to TiVo motherboard
Step 7: Insert drive

Of course, if the Still leaves the questions about MFS though.

Last edited by Agent86 : 09-12-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #52
ljg

Is their a way to list all the upcoming HD programming only for the next 14 days to choose which HD only programming to record?
ljg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #53
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg
Is their a way to list all the upcoming HD programming only for the next 14 days to choose which HD only programming to record?
None that I found, but that's an interesting idea.

Maybe a Keyword wishlist for HDTV would narrow it down.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #54
Gator1

Hybrid and Fixed - the same results?

What does Native mean? Hybrid? Fixed?
" Hybrid modes convert all HD content to the resolution specified, and all SD content to 480p. Fixed modes convert all video to the resolution specified.
"

It looks like Hybrid and Fixed give the same results. In Hybrid mode if I indicate convert all HD content to 1080i and in Fixed mode I indicated to convert all video to 1080i, do I get the same results?? I am not sure I see the differences between the two.
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #55
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
You can unravel the URL and go directly to my server. I don't want to post the direct URLs because when I did that at CES it crushed my server.
Yeah, I forgot about that. I looked at the picture, an' from what I can tell, it should work fine for any SATA drive.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #56
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

In fixed ALL content is converted to one resolution.

In hybrid HD content is converted to the selected resolution, and SD content is converted to 480p.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #57
reh523

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg
Titantv.com
reh523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #58
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Are multi-stream cards available from Comcast? Most of Comcast's CSRs I've talked to don't even know what a CableCARD is.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #59
cap

Megazone how was the transition to cable card after the unit was already running on normal cable?

Was there a quick upgrade or did you have to rerun guided setup with the cable cards in?
TCD649080 Series 2 (Monthly 7/2006)
DVR-810H Series 2 (Lifetime 1/2004)
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #60
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

You do have to repeat Guided Setup, but it doesn't take that long since it is a partial repeat. 15-20 minutes I guess. Most of that is the data download and unpacking.

It prompts you if you insert or remove a CC to re-run GS, and you can choose to do it now or later.

|
|
|