TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
mchad

Series 3 Verizon FIOS HD compat?

I was just about to order a Series 3 from TIVO, when I decided to ask that they gaurantee me that it will work with Verizon FIOS HD (I currently have cablevision, however FIOS is already installed in my building and I will be switching as soon as it is available). The sales rep transferred me to tech, who after 15 minutes told me that they had no information on whether it will work with FIOS HD.

So, does anyone REALLY know if a Series 3 will work with FIOS directly (No verizon box to video inputs, IR blasters, etc)?
mchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
soulposition

I'm calling VZ in a few to order my CableCards from them. I was told by the installer that I could move to CableCard whenever I wanted but it would be like pulling teeth because VZ doesn't want to support the CableCard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad
I was just about to order a Series 3 from TIVO, when I decided to ask that they gaurantee me that it will work with Verizon FIOS HD (I currently have cablevision, however FIOS is already installed in my building and I will be switching as soon as it is available). The sales rep transferred me to tech, who after 15 minutes told me that they had no information on whether it will work with FIOS HD.

So, does anyone REALLY know if a Series 3 will work with FIOS directly (No verizon box to video inputs, IR blasters, etc)?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulposition
I'm calling VZ in a few to order my CableCards from them. I was told by the installer that I could move to CableCard whenever I wanted but it would be like pulling teeth because VZ doesn't want to support the CableCard.
I think Verizon has a multi-stream cable card so you would only need one of them.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
My official answer: Call up Verizon and ask them.

My unofficial answer: Yes, it will work. There may be a few glitches ... but ... Verizon is working those out. Sometimes diligently ... somtimes not so much. But ... main thing is to call Verizon and ask for CableCard availability / installations.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
TampaDon
Don

Hi.

I just called FIOS.

They have cable cards but the old ones not the new ones. They told me you would have NO interactive GUIDE, NO video on demand, and NO Pay Per View unless you call their automated telephone number to order a pay per view movie.

Cards cost $2.95 per month.

Don
TampaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDon
Hi.

I just called FIOS.

They have cable cards but the old ones not the new ones. They told me you would have NO interactive GUIDE
Who needs the FIOS guide when you will have the TiVo interactive guide?
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
TampaDon
Don

Hi.

I forgot to mention that I was told the Cable Cards DO require a site visit and cannot be picked up and that fee is $24.95.

Don
Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Hi.

I just called FIOS.

They have cable cards but the old ones not the new ones. They told me you would have NO interactive GUIDE, NO video on demand, and NO Pay Per View unless you call their automated telephone number to order a pay per view movie.

Cards cost $2.95 per month.

Don
Yes, it'd be a hassle for PPV and you would lose OnDemand, but you don't want their intereactive guide anyway, Tivo will have its own built in.
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
mchad

Not there yet

Can one of you post a response when you have it up and running? FIOS isn't quite available in my condo yet (they have run all the supporting infrastructure already, but haven't turned up the service or began individual installs) so I can't really call them to discuss ordering cablecards yet...

I could use an S3 with my cable, but until I hear that it is actually working with FIOS in HD, I am hesitant to order one...

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

My FiOS TV install is tommorow ... but ... unfortunately I'll be holding off on the S3 for a while.

I'd be happy to test one for Tivo though (I know ... I'm so kind)
Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
mchad

Ugh

I've waited 2 years for an HD Tivo (no, I can't have Direct TV in my building) and now that it is finally available, I have to wait to see if I can actually use it! Arrgh!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

I plan on ordering my Tivo from the VIP link today and will call Verizon once I have the S3 in-hand. I hope to be up and runing on Fios TV by the end of next week.
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
mchad

I'll be standing by...

Thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Jazhuis

Quote:
There *are* no new cable cards that support those features yet. That's the Cablecard 2.0 standard that people talk about. The closest thing to a "new" Cablecard out there will be the multistream CC 1.0 cards, which just happen to use one card for two streams.

So currently, no Cablecard will give you VOD or PPV through your device. But you're still technically close to the cutting edge of the whole thing -- I love how they call them the "old" cards, so it sounds like you're getting ancient junk.
Jazhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
JohnBrowning

I'm running a CableCARD in my Mitsu TV fed by VZ FIOS with no problems whatsoever. While VZ had some problems initially getting the card init'd, I think those were just familiarity issues. I'll probably order an S3 in a month or so and don't anticipate any issues with moving the CC from the TV to the S3. I expect I'll have to call VZ and have them whack the CC, but, that should be no big deal.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #16
bkdtv

Verizon FiOS fully supports the Series3. (You don't get VOD/PPV, obviously.)

FiOS has ordered multistream cards, which will eliminate the need for a second CableCard, but those won't arrive until November.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #17
TampaDon
Don

Hi.

New to this stuff. What exactly is a multistream card? Where can one be seen?

Don
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #18
mchad

Excellent news

Thanks for the follow up. Now, to sit and wait for verizon install to become available...

FYI, I called Cablevision (Westchester, NY) and ordered two cards, which will be delivered in person on Monday (for the bargain price of $46... Great). When asked what brand of TV I had, I replied I don't know yet, I am buying them this weekend. No further question. Each card is billed at $1.25/month.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #19
wdave

/subscribe -- Fios crew wiring my neighborhood this week -- can't wait to dump Comcast.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #20
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bolling
/subscribe -- Fios crew wiring my neighborhood this week -- can't wait to dump Comcast.
Laying conduit (orange tubing) or actual fiber? They laid the conduit and put in in-ground service boxes in my 'hood months ago but have not run any fiber yet. You may also need to wait for Verizon to get a franchise license for your area as well. They might just start with FiOS internet.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #21
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
Laying conduit (orange tubing) or actual fiber? They laid the conduit and put in in-ground service boxes in my 'hood months ago but have not run any fiber yet. You may also need to wait for Verizon to get a franchise license for your area as well. They might just start with FiOS internet.
Thanks for pointing out the difference. Yes, they have press releases on their website saying they have a franchise license for my county (granted Jan 2006), and also something announcing Fios TV installation underway for my city (dated May 2006). They also hung a "coming soon" flyer on my door last week talking about all three services (voice, tv, internet). So it looks real.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #22
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Hi.

New to this stuff. What exactly is a multistream card?
The original cable card can only decode one stream (basically one channel) at a time.
A multistream can can decode multiple (I think up to 5) streams (channels) at a time.

This is useful if you have a device, like an S3 TiVo, that can tune more than one channel simultaneously.

But the only difference between a multistream and non-multistream cable card is how many channels they can decode at once.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #23
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bolling
Thanks for pointing out the difference. Yes, they have press releases on their website saying they have a franchise license for my county (granted Jan 2006), and also something announcing Fios TV installation underway for my city (dated May 2006). They also hung a "coming soon" flyer on my door last week talking about all three services (voice, tv, internet). So it looks real.
Link?

I'm interested in seeing if / when it will be available in my neighborhood.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #24
mchad

Quote:
Interesting. They have been in my building (12 floor condos) for the past month running conduits up the stairwell then into each floor. THere is also a "coming soon" notice in the mailroom. I wonder how long out it is. This all happening in downtown White Plains, NY, which is pretty metro now (Trump is even building here)

I have seen VZ trucks laying the orange conduit you mention on the streets, but I haven't seen great wheels of fiber yet.... I am surprised to hear that the conduit would be layed without fiber already in it? Sounds like double the work, no? Why not lay the fiber at the same time as the conduit...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #25
ah30k

Quote:
Why not lay the fiber at the same time as the conduit...
They use pretty heavy machinery to bore the earth and push the conduit under streets and along curb lines. Perhaps (just a guess) this process is too rough for the fragile fiber. What is interesting in my 'hood is that they did not run conduit to each house, just the in-ground junction boxes spaced around every two or three houses. They will still need to trench to the homes.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #26
mchad

Quote:
They use pretty heavy machinery to bore the earth and push the conduit under streets and along curb lines. Perhaps (just a guess) this process is too rough for the fragile fiber. What is interesting in my 'hood is that they did not run conduit to each house, just the in-ground junction boxes spaced around every two or three houses. They will still need to trench to the homes.

Interesting. I actually think that individual residences don't get "fiber". I believe that fiber is run to hubs or junction boxes and copper is what actually goes to the residential installs. At least that is what a coworker told me about his father's install in NJ...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #27
TexasAg

Quote:
Interesting. I actually think that individual residences don't get "fiber". I believe that fiber is run to hubs or junction boxes and copper is what actually goes to the residential installs. At least that is what a coworker told me about his father's install in NJ...
They run fiber to the ONT, which is the box on the outside of your house. From there, they split off the voice, data, and video.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #28
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
I actually think that individual residences don't get "fiber". I believe that fiber is run to hubs or junction boxes and copper is what actually goes to the residential installs. At least that is what a coworker told me about his father's install in NJ...
Fiber to the side of the house ... there's an ONT on the side of the house ... out of the ONT there's CAT5 (data, VOD), coax (linear video), twisted pair (phone) and power (for battery back-up) into the house.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #29
mchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
They run fiber to the ONT, which is the box on the outside of your house. From there, they split off the voice, data, and video.
Ok, so I wonder how they will handle apartments. There are 9 units per floor in my building, and they ran a 4" conduit up the stairwell with a 14"x10" box on each floor. From there, a smaller (2") conduit was run in the hallway above each door to the units...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #30
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
Link?
I'm interested in seeing if / when it will be available in my neighborhood.
Community specific information is here:

Verizon in the Community

then click on the link for your specific state. They have breaking news and press releases about their rollout, as well as propaganda for communities where they may be struggling to get franchise licenses.