Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #7261
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
OK, I'll "play" off of this post. Looking at the "demo" on the new tivowebplus that is on the thomson.tivo.googlepages site I note that it does not have the modules Merge, MRV Setup, and Net Config listed on the menu. And yes I did look at the "more" tab. Are these buried somewhere? I had to use MRV Setup to name mine in the past, and had to use Net Config to assign a static IP address. My shallow level of thinking leads me to beleive that I might have problems if I just went ahead and installed the new TWP? Or does it just leave my old settings alone?
Pardon me, but I'm one to just set on the sidelines and watch for awhile before I jump into something new. I like to see what problems others have while installing the new goodies, so that I can anticipate them and either "head them off at the pass", or see that fixes have been done.
Look at the first post of the enhancement script thread. I list the new modules that are included in version 1.3.0, and then I list the features that I added to the customized version of TWP that's included in the archive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #7262
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Thanks Russ and rpdre
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #7263
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

OK, Russ comparing what you have on the first post of the enhancement thread (the TWP demo screen) and the link that you furnished yesterday to the thomson.tivo.googlepages link I note the same differences that I noted above. So looks like I would follow rpdre's advice and "cut and paste" some of the modules that aren't there.
Looks to me like you must have tweaked the thomson version a little before you put it in the new enhancement program. So if that's the case I too would have to tweak it a little.
I would prefer not to just do the whole new enhancement thingie since I have modified other things as well (moved fakecall from 8:20pm my time to the wee hours of the morning, got tired of answering the question "'fakecall successful' - whats that, can't you do something about it?") And in NCID I've added a few aliases for friends cell phones, and changed the line feed on the display. And I think maybe other things as well - my documentation isn't too good on the changes that I have made over the last six months or so.
Maybe the thing for me to do is identify the additonal modules that I want in my TWP and just plug them into it instead of doing it the other way around?
If that's the case I guess I need to go hunt up the individual modules. I installed the resolve conflicts one on my own a month or so ago. But that was fraught with its own problems in that I started out with the original version and had to "debug" it. When I reported here on it Russ, of course, pointed out to me that it was already debugged in the latest version of TWP and I went to all of the work for nothing.
Maybe I need to just settle down an mellow for a while. I spent about a week getting a port opened on my DSL line so that I could access TWP remotely. Had to get a different modem as the one I had before wasn't "cooperating" with my netgear router to accomplish the port opening. Now I finally got it running, maybe I would have been better off going with Lou's "new beta access" one instead. But once again I was sitting back and watching all of the "disconnect" comments and waiting and then decided that I would go with the DIY approach with DYNDNS since it seemed to have been working for a year or so for the folks that went that way.
My wife about freaked this morning when she heard on the news something about Tivo interactive having some free deal with "fantasy football", "Oh, no, there goes another week of your time chasing some new Tivo gimmick!! I told her she was lucky in that I wasn't interested in "fantasy football".
Maybe most of this belongs in the Happy Hour forum?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #7264
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
OK, I'll "play" off of this post. Looking at the "demo" on the new tivowebplus that is on the thomson.tivo.googlepages site I note that it does not have the modules Merge, MRV Setup, and Net Config listed on the menu.
Quote:
OK, Russ comparing what you have on the first post of the enhancement thread (the TWP demo screen) and the link that you furnished yesterday to the thomson.tivo.googlepages link I note the same differences that I noted above. So looks like I would follow rpdre's advice and "cut and paste" some of the modules that aren't there.
For the record, MRV Setup and Net Config are included in the new Enhancement but Merge is not (at least I don't see it).
Edit: I see the Merge.itcl file in the tivowebplus/modules dir but it doesn't show up in TWP. Not sure why. I got a copy of the merge.itcl file from the Zipper tools CD (ver 1.6) and ftp'd it to the box, restarted and voila. I did notice that the file size and date of the two merge.itcl files where different. The one from Zipper 1.6 is 19k and the one from Enhancement 4.0 is 5k.
HR21-700, HR21-100

Last edited by SteelersFan : 09-07-2006 at 09:14 PM.
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #7265
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
For the record, MRV Setup and Net Config are included in the new Enhancement but Merge is not (at least I don't see it).
Edit: I see the Merge.itcl file in the tivowebplus/modules dir but it doesn't show up in TWP. Not sure why. I got a copy of the merge.itcl file from the Zipper tools CD (ver 1.6) and ftp'd it to the box, restarted and voila. I did notice that the file size and date of the two merge.itcl files where different. The one from Zipper 1.6 is 19k and the one from Enhancement 4.0 is 5k.
Somewhere along the line, the merge module must have gotten corrupt. I just uploaded a working version to the archive. Thanks for kicking the tires.

or

Old 09-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #7266
rbautch
User

Quote:
Looks to me like you must have tweaked the thomson version a little before you put it in the new enhancement program.
Yep, see the first post in this thread.
Quote:
And in NCID I've added a few aliases for friends cell phones, and changed the line feed on the display.
A few versions ago when I updated NCID, I modified the uninstall script to preserve NCID aliases. I've never tested it because I don't have a phone line and dont use NCID. If you could test that feature, that would be great. Use the attached version so you know you have the latest uninstall script.
Quote:
Maybe the thing for me to do is identify the additonal modules that I want in my TWP and just plug them into it instead of doing it the other way around?
There was so many updates and fixes with 1.3.0, I would suggest starting with my custom version and going from there. The scripts are set up to preserve any additional tweaks you make to TWP. Just delete the twp_flag in /enhancements so the uninstall script won't delete it. Then answer no to the TWP install on future tweak.sh runs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tweak_uninstall.zip (1.0 KB, 2 views)

or

Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #7267
GeorgeS069

Hi guys...been folowing the thread catching up for a few days now and decided to register and jump in...got my USB wired adapter and a new 300gig 7200rpm drive and I'm all set to hack my D TiVo...one problem....went to the zipper website and wouldn't ya just know I have the only TiVo unit not supported! Arrrggggg!
could anyone point me to a forum/thread like this one for an R10 model?
gotta say...great work and great support....Thumbs up for Gunny and Russ!

Thanks
George
GeorgeS069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:55 PM   #7268
solsurfer

can't recognize drive

I just switched over to HDTV and a HD DirecTV tivo, so I need to expand and zipper it up. However, I can't get the PC to recognize the new drive. I'm booting with the proper boot cd, but no fixed drives (hda, hba, etc) are showing. I thought it may have been my PC, but I've tried in a few others with the same results. I didn't have this trouble when I zippered my last drive (200gb). Is it the size of the drive? Any suggestions?

- I forgot to mention: I'm using the LBA48 CD boot disk I got from PTV for my non-hd directivo. Maybe I need a different boot disk?

Thanks!

Last edited by solsurfer : 09-08-2006 at 12:24 AM.
solsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #7269
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Russ, sorry, but like I said in my "dissertation" earlier, I'm not brave enough to be a tester. Experience has shown me that I do not function well in that arena, when it goes "kaput" I spend inordinate amounts of time trying to "fix" it when I am usually not well equiped enough to do it. I spent a week staying up til 2 in the morning several times trying to get a port opened on my Acitiontec modem hooked up to a Netgear router. Took both back to virgin factory status several times and then built up from there. Bottom line, never could get it to work, I printed out over 300 pages of research, googled the heck out of several support forums. Finally basically found out that the two were incompatible with regard to port forwarding and ended up getting a brand new modem from Qwest, which I managed to get working in about three hours, but not until I had to reset it to factory specs once also.
I find that I am better suited to just sit back read, and digest all the while trying to anticipate problems that I might have and sending in some feedback when I feel that it might help when I eventually to "take the plunge".

See already here my involvement helped bring to your attention along with SteelersFan the corrupt merge.itcl. And you may not remember, but I was the one that brought to your attention way back when that a once a week reboot with cron was going to miss the fact that the "next phone call" was scheduled for six days and 20 or so hours - which prompted you to set up the reboot for twice a week.
So hopefully I am contributing even though I am not doing actual tests.
Once again, sorry for not contributing more, and thanks for all of the work that you have done for us.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:09 AM   #7270
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

George, the R10 is going to need a hardware modification in order to hack it. Search for "prom mod" for the R10 to get more info on this.

Solsurger, if you are having the same problem on several computers sounds like a problem with the drive - have you verified that you have the jumpers set correctly?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #7271
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Somewhere along the line, the merge module must have gotten corrupt. I just uploaded a working version to the archive. Thanks for kicking the tires.
No, THANK YOU for this great script. Like I said before, I'm learning more and more and have mostly you to thank!

BTW, how 'bout them STEELERS!!!
HR21-700, HR21-100
Old 09-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #7272
GeorgeS069

Quote:
George, the R10 is going to need a hardware modification in order to hack it. Search for "prom mod" for the R10 to get more info on this.
Ok...once I have the hacked prom in place will I be able to use the zipper and the other hacks/mods discussed in this thread or I do I have to build it all up one piece at a time like the hardcore nuts on DDB say to do it?

Thanks

George
Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #7273
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS069
Ok...once I have the hacked prom in place will I be able to use the zipper and the other hacks/mods discussed in this thread or I do I have to build it all up one piece at a time like the hardcore nuts on DDB say to do it?

Thanks

George
Look here for more info. Make sure you read that entire thread. Looks like Russ is working on something for people with R10's.
HR21-700, HR21-100
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #7274
GeorgeS069

I'm reading...and reading....and reading....both threads now and over at the "other" forum

thanks SteelersFan

George

p.s. anyone wanna come over and mod my R10??I'll pay you $$$
Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #7275
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS069
I'm reading...and reading....and reading....both threads now and over at the "other" forum

thanks SteelersFan

George

p.s. anyone wanna come over and mod my R10??I'll pay you $$$
send a PM to tcf user Sonicos he does Prom mods.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #7276
GeorgeS069

Thanks Gunnyman
sent a PM to Sonicos and I just ordered my serial cable from tivo
should be here monday!
figured I'd give Tivo the few bucks rather than the rip-offs I see all over the place
I'm gonna do the actual prom mod myself that should be fun Wheeeee!
if this all works I'm gonna put a 750gig drive in there also I think a little over 1 terabyte should be enough room for now

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
anyone have a diagram of where this prom chip is that has to be removed/swapped out?

thanks,

George
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #7277
GeorgeS069

ok...in the spirit of "hacking" I just went to radioshack and grabbed the parts to build my own serial connector
Old 09-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #7278
GeorgeS069

Let me ses if I have this right from what I am reading....
I can't use the serial cable for anything on a R10 unit until the prom is modded
is that correct?

thanks

George
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #7279
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes correct
serial bash isn't turned on.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #7280
GeorgeS069

Crap!
anyone wanna buy a slightly abused serial 9pin - 1/8 stereo jack cable??
It's almost 12ft long
got a null modem too...LOL
oh well...should be handy when I get my new prom

Thanks Gunnyman,

George
Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #7281
rpdre1

Are you sure you can do the mod yourself? Do you have experience with SMD rework?

If not, I suggest you have someone do it for you.... I think buying an S2 with no drive would be cheaper.
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #7282
tnedator

Ok, I am confused about a few things related to the Zipper and hacks script.

I have an HR10-250 with the original drive. I plan to upgrade it this weekend to a 500gb drive. I would like to preserve the programs, so plan on doing an MFSrestore that will copy my programs across. All that I know how to do and is not a problem.

Now, my question is what will happen when I install the zipper and run the tweak.sh. A couple weeks ago when I upgraded my first 10-250, I didn't copy the programs across, but I did record some programs before applying the zipper and tweak.sh. When I ran the tweak.sh, I lost all my programs. They would show up in guide, but when you went to play them, it would just go to the delete/don't delete screen.

So, did I do something wrong, or is it not possible to preserve recordings when applying the zipper and running tweak.sh?

Thanks
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #7283
chris22
Snowboard Dude

What does Zipper (inc1uding enhancement script) do for TivoServer? (not desktop).

I cant seem to make it transfer anything but .ty from this tivo on1y.
-Chris
chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #7284
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris22
What does Zipper (inc1uding enhancement script) do for TivoServer? (not desktop).

I cant seem to make it transfer anything but .ty from this tivo on1y.
-Chris
Zipper does nothing for Tivoserver itself...although I'm pretty sure the superpatch (run by tweak.sh) is required on any Tivo that you want to use to view Tivoserver-based content.

Are you running the latest Tivoserver? What happens when you try to transfer, say, a Divx file?
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #7285
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator
Now, my question is what will happen when I install the zipper and run the tweak.sh. A couple weeks ago when I upgraded my first 10-250, I didn't copy the programs across, but I did record some programs before applying the zipper and tweak.sh. When I ran the tweak.sh, I lost all my programs. They would show up in guide, but when you went to play them, it would just go to the delete/don't delete screen.

So, did I do something wrong, or is it not possible to preserve recordings when applying the zipper and running tweak.sh?
Something was done wrong. Sounds like you might have run 51killer; normally recordings are preserved OK.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #7286
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator
Ok, I am confused about a few things related to the Zipper and hacks script.

I have an HR10-250 with the original drive. I plan to upgrade it this weekend to a 500gb drive. I would like to preserve the programs, so plan on doing an MFSrestore that will copy my programs across. All that I know how to do and is not a problem.

Thanks
The tweak.sh is meant to be run immediately after you run the Zipper. Anything you record inbetween is toast!

or

Old 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #7287
chris22
Snowboard Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer
Zipper does nothing for Tivoserver itself...although I'm pretty sure the superpatch (run by tweak.sh) is required on any Tivo that you want to use to view Tivoserver-based content.

Are you running the latest Tivoserver? What happens when you try to transfer, say, a Divx file?
It acts 1ike it wi11 work. It says Wi11 get 1ater.

Sorry for using 1s, but the dog broke the |_ key on my 1aptop.

I am using 1atest beta. I just upgraded from 1atest stab1e. Neither work.
chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #7288
tnedator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
The tweak.sh is meant to be run immediately after you run the Zipper. Anything you record inbetween is toast!
The recordings that were recorded prior to zipper and copied to a new drive with mfsrestore will be preserved?

1. The steps I plan to take are to image my 250gb drive to a 500gb drive with mfsrestore (including copying across my old recordings).

2. Apply the zipper.

3. Run tweak.sh

Following these steps, 51killer shouldn't be run and my old recordings shouldn't be deleted. Correct?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #7289
rbautch
User

Quote:

Sounds like you have a rogue recording that won't go away, and is not visible in Now Showing. Try rebooting your Tivo. If that doesnt work, go through some of the tivoserver videos you tried to transfer previously and select "cancel recording".

or

Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #7290
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:

I say we take up a collection and buy chris22 a new "l" key!
HR21-700, HR21-100