Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #151
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmrick
All 4 hacked tivo's are working again. Planned reboot last night so probally why they work. Are we any closer to why they work after reboot . But over time they stop working? (untill the next reboot). How long they stay working I don't know.

Thanks
Rick
When you get a "disconnect" message, it means the connection between the client running on your TiVo and our server has been lost. Rebooting the unit restarts the client (among other things) and the connection is restablished.

I'm not seeing a lot of other posts right now with any reports of disconnect messages, so its unclear as to why only you would be getting them at this point. Hopefully, some others will post - but right now, there is a question of whether there may be other environmental factors at play here.

Can you post more details about your networking configuration, including the hardware and router you are using. Who is your ISP? Do you have outages? More details are better.

Anyone else who is seeing this, should be posting as well -- there are almost 100 testers now, so please post your experiences and feedback while you still have beta access!

Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #152
SeanC
ECT

I was waiting for a new installable to be available as I thought the problem was with the executable on installed on the Tivo.

I just started it up again and so far it's been working for a couple of hours, which it hadn't done before. Whenever I posted last to this thread was the last time I tried it.

S1SA
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #153
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
I was waiting for a new installable to be available as I thought the problem was with the executable on installed on the Tivo.

I just started it up again and so far it's been working for a couple of hours, which it hadn't done before. Whenever I posted last to this thread was the last time I tried it.

S1SA
cool - keep please keep us posted... take a look at a few of the posts from last wednesday; some changes were made on the server side that appear to have fixed things, however its not clear yet -- obviously mgmrick is still having a problem; lets see who else has it...

Old 09-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #154
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

No disconnects for about a week now. I try to log in and check at least 3-4 times a day for all 5 of my boxes.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #155
SeanC
ECT

Well I upgraded TWP and HackMan last night, just for shiggles.

Everything went well but I did have several reboots in the middle and the startup script for your software got lost in the shuffle so of course there were disconnects last night.

When I checked from work this morning, disconnected. So I killed the process on the tivo, it automatically restarted, and it's working at this time.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #156
Lost Pup

Complete fresh install on Hughes DirecTV Series 2 Box Note - Unsubscribed Box used as test box

Fresh install of virgin 6.2 image

Latest Zippper Script with Tweak Enhancements installed and Hackman enabled

Registered and installed in a few minutes. Accessed TWP with no problems.

Now my Tivo anywhere in the world......
Lost Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #157
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

some updates...

Hi -

The thread has been quiet lately. But, we have over 100 people now registered with the site and about 140 TiVo systems being managed through the service. Except for mgmrick, who had some puzzling disconnects, it seems that most complaints of disconnects have gone away.

I think testing should continue for some time and I'd like to ask that folks continue to beat on the system and post their experiences, however inocuous they may be; I really appreciate this.

Now, moving forward... at some point, we are going to close the beta registration process - it will still be awhile, and I will give some notice on this, but it will not be open forever.

I know a few of you are wondering what the future of the service is and I can honestly say that I am not certain. It is likely however, that we will charge a small monthly amount for access to it, and I hope that for those of you that are using the service, you will find value in it.

With that in mind, all testers will be given several months of free service in exchange of the help of testing things and providing feedback. Obviously, all those registered for the service will qualify for that, so I'd encourage you to help sign people up - we really do need the testers.

So with that, I ask you for all the feedback you can give and whether you are using the service, how often, etc etc. while there is time to influence its direction.

Please don't hold back - I am all ears...

Lou

Old 09-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #158
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
I know it has likely been a very busy week. I look forward to hearing what your devs say about the code in the S2.5...

Thanks again and again
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #159
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

I can report no disconnects since 9-01 now.

I try it at least daily so all seems right.....

Thanks
Rick
HMO,MRV,2.0 USB,CALLERID,Serial Cable,160Gig Hardrive
gunny's unguide,rbautch scripts
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #160
starbiker99
1 Tivo 2 Tivo 3 Tivo

I have this installed once again on 2 of my 4 Tivos. It has connected every time I have tried in the past week. I had to reinstall after I updated the enhancement scipt so I can access the 1.3.0 TWP on one unit. WORKS GOOD!

1 Philips DSR708 (278hrs)320GB
1 Samsung S4080R (Stock)80GB
1 Samsung S4080R (260hrs)300GB
1 Philips DSR704 (103hrs)120GB
All 'UNLEASHED'
starbiker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #161
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I know a few of you are wondering what the future of the service is and I can honestly say that I am not certain. It is likely however, that we will charge a small monthly amount for access to it, and I hope that for those of you that are using the service, you will find value in it.

With that in mind, all testers will be given several months of free service in exchange of the help of testing things and providing feedback. Obviously, all those registered for the service will qualify for that, so I'd encourage you to help sign people up - we really do need the testers.

So with that, I ask you for all the feedback you can give and whether you are using the service, how often, etc etc. while there is time to influence its direction.

Please don't hold back - I am all ears...
So far my only "use" of the service has been testing the beta. I have yet to come across an opportunity to actually log in needing to set up a last minute recording. I suppose when that happens... I'll be happy it's working well (and securely.)

In the meantime though, my first reaction is that I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it... unless that monthly fee was really, really low. I'd probably pony up $15/year, max...

One other note. The frame seems to be consistent now, so choosing between two TiVo's and logging out is working better for me. I use a Treo on the road, though, it would be nice if that top banner frame could be made smaller/slimmer/thinner. It fills up much of the Treo screen.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #162
Throg
Experimental Member

I'm still unable to use the service. See this post.
Throg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #163
Draven X. Byrne
Pope to the TiVos

I upgraded my RACK storage TiVo to the latest script from RBautch. This upgraded TWP to the latest version. I then reinstalled your script and now it doesn't seem to connect anymore.

Thought I'd let you know. My other 2 TiVo's which haven't been upgraded to the latest TWP still connect no prob.

Thanks

DXB
Draven X. Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #164
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throg
I'm still unable to use the service. See this post.
Throg - nothing will change there in the foreseeable future. The client doesn't run on Series2 SA 2.5 boxes; we don't have a prom modded box to give to the developers, and its not clear to me that there are many of those boxes "out there" right now. Perhaps in the future...

Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #165
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
So you're saying I can un-forward my ports now?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #166
Throg
Experimental Member

Quote:
The client doesn't run on Series2 SA 2.5 boxes.
I have a straight up S2SA (TCD24004A). I got a seg fault using http_get so my download was done using wget. That's the only thing I did outside the box.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #167
asatyss

I just got my Hughes HDVR2 set up and it seems to work great. This is an awesome solution for accessing my Tivo away from home. Thanks for your hard work!!
asatyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #168
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I have a straight up S2SA (TCD24004A). I got a seg fault using http_get so my download was done using wget. That's the only thing I did outside the box.
were you able to get the client running?

Old 09-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #169
Draven X. Byrne
Pope to the TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven X. Byrne
I upgraded my RACK storage TiVo to the latest script from RBautch. This upgraded TWP to the latest version. I then reinstalled your script and now it doesn't seem to connect anymore.

Thought I'd let you know. My other 2 TiVo's which haven't been upgraded to the latest TWP still connect no prob.

Thanks

DXB
After a couple of reboots I can connect to the latest version of TWP via the website and client.

I guess it just wanted more then 1 reboot!
Draven X. Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #170
Throg
Experimental Member

Quote:
were you able to get the client running?
No. I've never gotten that far.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #171
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
No. I've never gotten that far.
OK, well, that doesn't surprise me.

For now, my recommendation is that those with networked Series2 SA units not spend too much time trying to get the client to work. In development, we only provided Series1 SA/DT and Series2 DT (SD and HD) systems.

We'll come back to revisit the Series SA systems (I think its an OS issue, not a hardware issue) when we feel it is a more viable platform - I know that there are many of you who do have networked Series2 SA systems, however with the frequent software updates, and the fact that many of these units require a hardware 'hack' to gain expanded functionality, its been made a lower priority than the aforementioned platforms (sorry folks, gotta prioritize).

With that said, things like "the slicer" should help to increase the viability of the Series2 SA platform for hacking; again, gotomydvr for Series2 SA is not dead, just ^Z'ed for now...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #172
svfowler

Unit disconnected!

When I go to Channel Prefs and click "Receive" it returns about 80 % of the channels and then gives me the message: "Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now." I can click on "Main Menu" or any other menu options and they work, so the Tivo is still on the network. It seems to be timing out.

I have 3 Tivo's registered and it happens on all of them.

(3) Hughes SD-DVR40 6.2
InstantCake/PTVnet
320 gig HD
RoadRunner Cable/Linksys router

svfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #173
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfowler
When I go to Channel Prefs and click "Receive" it returns about 80 % of the channels and then gives me the message: "Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now." I can click on "Main Menu" or any other menu options and they work, so the Tivo is still on the network. It seems to be timing out.

(3) Hughes SD-DVR40 6.2
InstantCake/PTVnet
320 gig HD
I've changed one of the timeout parameters; see if that makes a difference. More importantly, please let me know if it breaks anything else.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #174
CrashNBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfowler

(3) Hughes SD-DVR40 6.2
InstantCake/PTVnet
320 gig HD
I'm see a similar issue in "HiGuide". It gets about 60 seconds in to the load and fails with the "Unit disconnected! Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later."

All other operations succeed after that failure and a "PS -aux" shows the processess running as normal.

Probably just a timeout issue, but thought you should know.

- CrashNBurns
CrashNBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #175
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Right - this is the same issue as discussed much earlier in the thread. There is a timeout parameter which can be adjusted on the server side; any TiVoWebPlus operations which take longer to complete will be affected by this because if the server component does not get a repsonse back from your TiVo within that time frame, it will be interpreted as a tivo-disconnect message.

This morning, the parameter was set to 30 seconds. I changed it to 40 seconds prior to my last post. I just changed it to 60 seconds.

Please let me know if the "higuide" times out now - if it doesn't, please let me know. Please let me know if this adversely affects performance of any other modules.

Thx

Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #176
CrashNBurns

Quote:
Right - this is the same issue as discussed much earlier in the thread. There is a timeout parameter which can be adjusted on the server side; any TiVoWebPlus operations which take longer to complete will be affected by this because if the server component does not get a repsonse back from your TiVo within that time frame, it will be interpreted as a tivo-disconnect message.

This morning, the parameter was set to 30 seconds. I changed it to 40 seconds prior to my last post. I just changed it to 60 seconds.

Please let me know if the "higuide" times out now - if it doesn't, please let me know. Please let me know if this adversely affects performance of any other modules.

Thx
Still timing out for me. (I'll note that I'm not sure that I'd even use HiGuide remotely, rather I was just trying to be a dumb monkey and press all the buttons to see what happens! ;->).

It happens on both of my units (HR10-250 & HDVR2) and seems to get to about the same number of guide channels before timing out. It gets to approx. 40 channels before failing with the timeout issue.

I didn't notice any other issues with the increased timeout.

Any other diag you want me to do?

- CrashNBurns
CrashNBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #177
SteveT
Just a member

dbclient taking lots of cpu

I have 3 tivo's registered, one HR10-250, on subbed DSR7000 and one unsubbed DRS7000, and they all worked great for a while. I have an ISDN connection which is normally off, but I could call my wife to start the internet connection, and a few minutes later I could connect to all 3 tivos from work. Great.

However, I started noticing that the unsubbed tivo was very sluggish. I ran top, and found that dbclient was taking 80% or so of the CPU, and it would eventually stop responding. I rebooted several times, same result.

I renamed the gotomydvr folder and rebooted, and the problem went away.

The other two are still working great.

Anything I can do to help you diagnose this issue?

This is a great service.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #178
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
I have 3 tivo's registered, one HR10-250, on subbed DSR7000 and one unsubbed DRS7000, and they all worked great for a while. I have an ISDN connection which is normally off, but I could call my wife to start the internet connection, and a few minutes later I could connect to all 3 tivos from work. Great.

However, I started noticing that the unsubbed tivo was very sluggish. I ran top, and found that dbclient was taking 80% or so of the CPU, and it would eventually stop responding. I rebooted several times, same result.

I renamed the gotomydvr folder and rebooted, and the problem went away.

The other two are still working great.

Anything I can do to help you diagnose this issue?

This is a great service.
I've never seen a situation where the dbclient took any measurable amount of CPU time. Am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the unit you are talking about is unsubbed. Is this repeateable? ie - what happens when you reinstall the client?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #179
SteveT
Just a member

Quote:
...what happens when you reinstall the client?
I will reinstall it and advise results. Thanks.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #180
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNBurns
Still timing out for me. (I'll note that I'm not sure that I'd even use HiGuide remotely, rather I was just trying to be a dumb monkey and press all the buttons to see what happens! ;->).

It happens on both of my units (HR10-250 & HDVR2) and seems to get to about the same number of guide channels before timing out. It gets to approx. 40 channels before failing with the timeout issue.

I didn't notice any other issues with the increased timeout.

Any other diag you want me to do?

- CrashNBurns
cool - that is exactly what i'm hoping other people are doing, as well; just banging on it. i've looked into higuide and i think its actually a neat module - but its also hard to find, and my guess is that its not in widespread use. unfortunately, tivowebplus does seem to have some features that are pretty slow and that does cause problems in some of these situations.

there does seem to be an opportunity here for a 'lightweight' distro of tivowebplus perhaps designed for mobile access; perhaps stripping things down to an instance that could run quicker and that uses less resources?