Series2 DirecTV SD Unit 212 47.96%
Series2 DirecTV HD Unit 90 20.36%
Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #121
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Francesco - I'm not certain on the 2.5 issue because I don't have access to a modded unit. The error suggests that one of the configuration files may be missing, but beyond that, I really can't say.

If someone would be willing to donate a modded 2.5 system for a period of time, or even give me telnet/ftp access to it, I could mess with it a bit; but not until next week at the earliest. I'm in meeting in CA right now and then off for the labor day weekend. (I can't tell you what the meetings are about, but they are all good ones and very much related to this project) :-)

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #122
puffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I'm in meeting in CA right now...
You're in Alviso, CA you say?
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #123
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
If you tell me how next week, I will gladly let you remote in and see what's inside my TCD540 (and what mundane stuff it's used for right now off local cable).
Old 08-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #124
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdaddy
You're in Alviso, CA you say?
no, actually not, sorry to say; i have some friends there, but no time this week for a visit such as that...

... i'm actually in palo alto... see next post for an update...

Old 08-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #125
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
If you tell me how next week, I will gladly let you remote in and see what's inside my TCD540 (and what mundane stuff it's used for right now off local cable).
I'll be in touch... basically - it'll be "old school" access -- map ports 21 and 23 on your router to the ip address of your TiVo, then provide your external ip address - you should be able to test this from a dos prompt and going to your external ip address using telnet and ftp...

Old 08-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #126
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Exclamation this just in...

... I've just spoken with one of the developers who confirmed that he too made a change on the server that may very much have affected things. I won't go into the details, but after discussing, I can see why you may have noticed a difference.

If you all would, please... especially those of you who might be getting disconnects, please BEAT ON THE SYSTEM, and do some crazy things like resetting your routers, unplugging your cable modems, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you get a disconnect message, the tivo should be periodically trying to reestablish a connection - so give it a minute or two and try reloading the page before giving up and rebooting your system (which will almost certainly work, but is not a recommended solution).

Lastly, if you still consistently get a "tivo disconnected" message, please do a PS on your unit and verify that the client is running (or not running). I am still wondering about whether there are multiple issues here, and whether we need to do some things on the client side to ensure the process isn't completely bombing out...

Lou

Old 08-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #127
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Are we onto something here? All 4 of my units where disconnected yesterday....all 4 work today. This is without me rebooting them. There uptime is 2days 10 hours

4 units hacked using zipper and rbautch's scripts

Thanks
Rick
HMO,MRV,2.0 USB,CALLERID,Serial Cable,160Gig Hardrive
gunny's unguide,rbautch scripts
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #128
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmrick
Are we onto something here? All 4 of my units where disconnected yesterday....all 4 work today. This is without me rebooting them. There uptime is 2days 10 hours

4 units hacked using zipper and rbautch's scripts

Thanks
Rick
Very good to know. Will try to contain myself and wait for more feedback, but I'm liking the sound of these initial comments.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #129
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

mgmrick - how did you register four units, with two accounts?

[edit] - I've increased the number of units which can be registered to FIVE, for now.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #130
rbautch
User

Thanks for increasing the number of Tivos! My DSR7000 and HR10-250 have been running fine for about a day now. No disconnects. Another DSR7000 refuses to connect and throws an error that looks like this:
Code:
*** No response from connection server ***
I reinstalled the client, to no avail If nobody else is getting this, the problem is probably on my end.

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #131
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Thanks for increasing the number of Tivos! My DSR7000 and HR10-250 have been running fine for about a day now. No disconnects. Another DSR7000 refuses to connect and throws an error that looks like this:
Code:
*** No response from connection server ***
I reinstalled the client, to no avail If nobody else is getting this, the problem is probably on my end.
That sounds like your TiVo cannot find our server. Did you install the client directly from the server using the standard instructions? If so, then its odd that you would get this message. See if you can ping the ip address and/or try reinstalling the client again and that may do the trick. More importantly, if you get any errors when attempting to re-install the client, take a closer look - check to be sure there is a route through your gateway, etc...

Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #132
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Ptvupgrade,

I created 2 accounts...but I can now go back and add the 4th unit won't need 2 accounts. As you can probally tell us hackers have quite a few hacked tivo's and 3 was not enough

Thanks
Rick
Old 08-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #133
jasch

Hear Hear. I have 6 tivos at home.
jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #134
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

ok - i've increased the limit, temporarily, to SIX.

to those of you who have registered more than one account - can you please do the following:

1) remove each tivo you've registered from your secondary account
2) recreate each tivo into your primary account
3) pm me with the email address of your secondary account so i can remove it

this will be a good test of some of the administrative functionality

Later, I am going to reduce the number of registerable units for a brief period, to see how this affects folks, so please be prepared...

Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #135
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Pm sent removed and added

Back to disconects with out any input on my side.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by mgmrick : 08-30-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:30 AM   #136
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
What type of router do you have? Is this something that is common? (I've never heard of that, but that doesn't mean much...)
3COM 3CR870, which allows me to specify outgoing access. Most business level routers allow you to control access in both directions.

In addition, Surf Control Content Filtering, Block/Allow Lists, IPSEC/L2TP-IPSEC/PPTP and Passthrough VPN support, SPI Firewall tuning, Traffic Shaping, etc.
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #137
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
... I've just spoken with one of the developers who confirmed that he too made a change on the server that may very much have affected things. I won't go into the details, but after discussing, I can see why you may have noticed a difference.

If you all would, please... especially those of you who might be getting disconnects, please BEAT ON THE SYSTEM, and do some crazy things like resetting your routers, unplugging your cable modems, etc....

Lou
So far I have had ZERO disconnects over the past two days (approx 10 logins) on five different machines. Whatever you did fixed things for me, at least so far. Thanks again for this great tool!
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #138
Draven X. Byrne
Pope to the TiVos

As well as I. I also purposely messed with stuff like just unplugging the NIC, leaving it unplugged for an hour, etc.

Once I plugged it back, it would reconnect under 10 -15 minutes.

Looks like it's rockin' now!

DXB

Last edited by Draven X. Byrne : 08-31-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Draven X. Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #139
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Mine are all working (4) tonite. However they did reboot last nite as as scheduled

Rick
Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #140
kewashi

Quote:
Lou
Lou -- I've had no disconnects for the past several days. Although I still can't view my programs from TWP through the gotomydvr service. I think my vserver isn't working quite right. Anyway I thought you'd like to know that I reset my router and also logged in from a hotel and everything worked very smoothly. I even got to my tivo from the airport network before I got on the plane on my flight home. By the way -- I was just in Palo Alto and Sunnyvale earlier this week --- gee... maybe I should have waved at you when I was driving on S Hwy 101...
Networked with enhancements
A Lame unhacked R10
kewashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #141
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewashi
Lou -- I've had no disconnects for the past several days. Although I still can't view my programs from TWP through the gotomydvr service. I think my vserver isn't working quite right. Anyway I thought you'd like to know that I reset my router and also logged in from a hotel and everything worked very smoothly. I even got to my tivo from the airport network before I got on the plane on my flight home. By the way -- I was just in Palo Alto and Sunnyvale earlier this week --- gee... maybe I should have waved at you when I was driving on S Hwy 101...
You are not going to be able to use vserver through gotomydvr - its not the intent to provide that capability; aside from the fact that pumping everyone's video directly through our servers would present bandwidth and resource problems, it would require a completely different type of implementation. Its not that it can't be done, but its just not what the service is currently intended to handle...

... sorry I missed you; just flew back from San Jose today...

Old 09-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #142
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

2of 4 disconnected using zipper & rbautch scripts

Still needs work

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #143
Markman07

Just installed this on one of my zippered series 2 Directivos. So far so good!

I have tried using the TWP search module with Category = Show Types and Sub Category = season premeire. Both times after about a minute it comes back saying "Unit Disconnect. Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later."

It does work when I try it using my dyndns connection.

Inventory to Follow....

1 HR10-250 (Zippered - Thanks Gunny)
2 Directivo Series 2 (Zippered - Hey Gunny...Thanks)
1 HR20 - Like it but locks up too much)
Score Tivo 3 - Other HD DVR 1

Last edited by Markman07 : 09-01-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Markman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #144
kewashi

Quote:
You are not going to be able to use vserver through gotomydvr - its not the intent to provide that capability; aside from the fact that pumping everyone's video directly through our servers would present bandwidth and resource problems, it would require a completely different type of implementation. Its not that it can't be done, but its just not what the service is currently intended to handle...

... sorry I missed you; just flew back from San Jose today...
Ah... doh... I should have figured that one out. Thanks. I do have vserver working fine from my local LAN so this now all makes sense.
A Lame unhacked R10
Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #145
kewashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markman07
Just installed this on one of my zippered series 2 Directivos. So far so good!

I have tried using the TWP search module with Category = Show Types and Sub Category = season premeire. Both times after about a minute it comes back saying "Unit Disconnect. Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later."

It does work when I try it using my dyndns connection.
I tried the same search and got the exact same behavior. The server says it is running when I checked via a telnet session. I assume I can get things going again by just re-running the launch script.
A Lame unhacked R10
Old 09-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #146
Throg
Experimental Member

I can't get past the http_get segfault on a SA S2 box. in other words: Step 1. It makes me feel like a moron. So many other people have done this and I can't. The only http_get I have is in /tvbin so it's not a conflict. Can someone who had the segfault problem tell me how you got over it?
Throg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #147
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
There is a work-around to loading it, but not yet one to run it on a Series 2.5...

As I noted earlier in the thread, instead of using http_get from your TiVo, download b_install.sh directly to your PC then open it with a text editor such as EditPad Lite.

Go down to this line:
Code:
/tvbin/http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp/inst -U http://68.178.174.173:80/beta-client-1.0.tar.gz
and change it to
Code:
wget http://68.178.174.173:80/beta-client-1.0.tar.gz
...then save it.

Then, open FTP and telnet. CD to /var/tmp in both and send the new b_install.sh over. chmod 755 it. Then follow the rest of the instructions to install and (try to) run it.

ETA: The above assumes that /busybox is in your path.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #148
Throg
Experimental Member

Thanks, Franceso. That got me a lot further than I was before. However, now the problem is that it doesn't seem to be starting. I'm not totally surprised but this is on a SA S2 box. There were no errors during the installation.
Code:
TiVo2: / $ /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
[1] 404
TiVo2: / $ Internal error #R
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: .: filename argument required
.: usage: . filename
*** Empty KNOWN_HOST configuration ***

Last edited by Throg : 09-03-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Throg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #149
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

That's the same error I and others have been getting. PTVUpgrade has said he'll be looking into it this week or so.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #150
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

All 4 hacked tivo's are working again. Planned reboot last night so probally why they work. Are we any closer to why they work after reboot . But over time they stop working? (untill the next reboot). How long they stay working I don't know.

Thanks
Rick