TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #31
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

NICDPOP for Windoz

Any way to change the size of the caller id popup in the Windows version? At high screen resolutions it's a bit small. But it is darn handy!
6stringbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #32
scotty104

Setup on SAT-T60

I am trying to get NCID working on my T60. When I run NCIDD -Dv to test I get "No modem found: /dev/ttyS1". I am new to working with modems in any type of Linux. Do I have a setting wrong or does the T60's internal modem not work properly for caller ID? I have not changed any settings in ncidd.conf yet. TIA for any and all help.
scotty104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #33
dishdudes

Hmmmmm NCID

I made this change in my author file and now I have no Telnet, FTP or Web interface. If I get the serial cable can I use it to gain access to make sure I didn't hose up the file. I can still ping it and the MRV is working. BtW I have a zippered DSR 704. Aside from that what else can I do?
dishdudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:46 AM   #34
tall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdudes
I made this change in my author file and now I have no Telnet, FTP or Web interface. If I get the serial cable can I use it to gain access to make sure I didn't hose up the file. I can still ping it and the MRV is working. BtW I have a zippered DSR 704. Aside from that what else can I do?
Sounds like an author file that was edited with a windoze editor. I did this too and I had to yank my HD and re-zipper. Or you can yank your HD and chmod +x your author file. Don't feel bad, it is part of the learning process. I thought running zipper was popping my Tivo hacking cherry but I think that officially occurs when you hammer your Tivo. Congratulations and good luck.
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 AM   #35
dishdudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1
Sounds like an author file that was edited with a windoze editor. I did this too and I had to yank my HD and re-zipper. Or you can yank your HD and chmod +x your author file. Don't feel bad, it is part of the learning process. I thought running zipper was popping my Tivo hacking cherry but I think that officially occurs when you hammer your Tivo. Congratulations and good luck.
What does the chmod +x do to the file? Anyone tried a Knoppix boot disk with a USB - IDE converter to get into the disk?
dishdudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #36
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdudes
What does the chmod +x do to the file?
Short answer is it makes eXecutable.

All linux files have have poperies that make the Read, Write, eXecutable (for the Owner, Group, World) So if you look at a file like Document.txt, it might have properties of rwxrwxrwx. if you do chmod Document.txt -x it would Change to rw-rw-rw-. Then doing chmod Document.txt +x would make it rwxrwxrwx again.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #37
jlc

NCID version 0.63 has been released.

NCID Release 0.63 adds support for Caller ID systems that will output a name but not a telephone number field when call is PRIVATE or BLOCKED.

Message support has been added. The ncid GUI client, can send a short single line message to all connected clients using the ncidd server.

Any text sent to port 3333 is considered a message. Message support is really intended for applications to send messages. Here is an example of a script for a 10 minute food timer using netcat to send the message:
Code:
sleep 600; echo "Check food ready" | nc localhost 3333
Added a logfile for ncidd. The configuration file has a variable called verbose that controls how much content goes into it. The default is 1, but the range is 1-9.

Last edited by jlc : 06-19-2006 at 05:55 PM.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #38
jlc

NCID version 0.64 has been released. It has fixes for the server termination problem, and it has new features.

There is a new client, called ncidsip. It uses SIP Invite to obtain VOIP Caller ID information, and then sends it to the server as a CID message. The server now supports multiple lines: one standard telephone line (can have distinctive ring lines), and multiple VOIP lines. The server can be configured without a modem and just use one or more CID clients like ncidsip. The alias configuration command has been expanded to alias the line indicator used by distinctive ring and ncidsip. The ncid client will display the line indicator in its history window, but TiVoCID will not yet display it on the TiVo. See the web page and Release Notes for more information.

The included tools; cidalias, cidcall, cidupdate, and ncidsip are Perl programs. If you put Perl in /var/hack/bin they will find it. I only know of this Perl being available for a series 2: http://marc.abramowitz.info/archives...tivo-series-2/ there may be another. In addition ncidsip requires the Net-Pcap Perl module: http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/...12/Pcap.tar.gz and it requires libpcap: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpcap/ Hopefully someone can make binaries.

Its possible to rewrite ncidsip using tcl, but you need a interface to libpcap. I found tclpcap at http://tclpcap.sourceforge.net/ so if anyone is interested in doing this, contact me at sourceforge.

The display program, out2osd, still does not work with 7.2. If anyone has modified libosd to work, or if anyone knows of a program that will take a text line and display under 7.2 let me know. TiVoCID can pipe its output to any display program.

Last edited by jlc : 06-19-2006 at 05:55 PM.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #39
roydarc

As I am new to this and have "zippered" both of my Units, one Samsung and one Hughes, I have been losing the CallerID regularly. I have been uninstalling and re-installing the Tweak.sh to get it back up. I would like to upgrade it to the 0.64, but unfortunately lack the know how. Is there somewhere I can get a step-by-step on this?
roydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #40
jlc

rbautch is intending to upgrade his enhancement script to install NCID 0.64 For now you can look at the install-tivo at http://ncid.sourceforge.net/ncid/INSTALL-TiVo.txt

I just discovered a problem with the ncid-0.64 client (tivocid) and hope to fix it shortly. If you save the ncid version you are using, it will work with the 0.64 NCID server. If the new version of ncid fails, use your older working one until it is fixed. The server has fixes for the going away problem so it is important to use it.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #41
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
I just discovered a problem with the ncid-0.64 client (tivocid) and hope to fix it shortly. If you save the ncid version you are using, it will work with the 0.64 NCID server. If the new version of ncid fails, use your older working one until it is fixed. The server has fixes for the going away problem so it is important to use it.
This should be an obvious thing, but when you change software on tivo, remove it from autostartup until it works fine. Case in point, after upgrading a zippered dtivo to NCID 0.64, I lost bash shell on both serial and telnet after reboot. Looking into it, it appears somehow starting ncid locks it up.

In case any of you run into this, here is a way to resolve this situation without removing hdd - it appears there is a few seconds window between starting bash shells on telnet and serial and starting of ncid. If you time it just right, you can execute a small script in that time to remove ncid from rc.sysinit.author(renaming ncid on hdd may work too, but I did not try this). I used my telnet client's "login scripting" feature to automate the commands, but any method for executing commands on login should work, if you time it right. Serial cable makes timing a lot easier.

HTH

-HH

Last edited by Hichhiker : 06-29-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #42
roydarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
rbautch is intending to upgrade his enhancement script to install NCID 0.64
Thanks for the info.. will definitely read. But... I think for now I will wait on rbautch to do his upgrade before attempting it on my own...Again thanks!
roydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #43
jlc

NCID version 0.65 has been released.

The TiVo display was fixed and updated to display the optional line indicator and messages.

NCIDsip was improved.

NCID was modified to accept NCIDINFO messages. This allows the VOIP CID client to send a CANCEL message when a call is aborted before pickup. The client can test for this and output to a output module when it receives a CANCEL notification. Thus a cell phone can be sent a message only if the phone is not answered.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #44
rpdre1

Do you get Call Waiting Caller ID by using NCIDsip?

My regular phone shows it every time but it's never displayed on my tivo .. NCIDpop has spoiled me :P
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #45
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdre1
Do you get Call Waiting Caller ID by using NCIDsip?

My regular phone shows it every time but it's never displayed on my tivo .. NCIDpop has spoiled me :P
NCIDsip will respond to Call Waiting.

Modems may not have that feature. The NetCallerID standalone device does support it.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #46
rpdre1

i just read through the docs and realized I have to compile those 2 modules to use NCIDsip on my tivo.

since nobody has made a binary yet for those modules, can someone teach me how to make the necessary binaries?
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #47
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdre1
i just read through the docs and realized I have to compile those 2 modules to use NCIDsip on my tivo.

since nobody has made a binary yet for those modules, can someone teach me how to make the necessary binaries?
This is the hard part. NCIDsip is a perl script. It requires Perl, the Net-Pcap Perl module, and
libpcap. I have found a Perl binary for the TiVo, but I did not find binaries for the module or library. Here is where to get the software:

Perl for TiVo Series 2: http://marc.abramowitz.info/archives...tivo-series-2/
Net-Pcap: http://search.cpan.org/~saper/Net-Pcap-0.12/Pcap.pm
libpcap: http://libpcap.sourceforge.net/
Old 07-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #48
floppy_joe

ncidsip, perl, net-pcap, oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
This is the hard part. NCIDsip is a perl script. It requires Perl, the Net-Pcap Perl module, and
libpcap. I have found a Perl binary for the TiVo, but I did not find binaries for the module or library. Here is where to get the software:
I always know I am in trouble when I catch up to the posts that have current dates.

This ncidsip sounds just what I've been dreaming of, problem is the lack of knowledge on my part and documentation on installing perl, net-Pcap and libpcap.

I have a hughes s2 dtivo and and sat-t60, I put the above files in /var/hack and untarred them. What next? Fell free to flame away, im use to it and trust me I have searched and searched. Thanks for your pity.
floppy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #49
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppy_joe
This ncidsip sounds just what I've been dreaming of, problem is the lack of knowledge on my part and documentation on installing perl, net-Pcap and libpcap.

I have a hughes s2 dtivo and and sat-t60, I put the above files in /var/hack and untarred them. What next? Fell free to flame away, im use to it and trust me I have searched and searched. Thanks for your pity.
The Perl link is a binary so you would put it in /var/hack/bin. The links to Net-Pcap and libpcap are to source code that needs to be compiled. I did manage to cross compile libpcap, but it is untested. I was not able to cross compile Net-Pcap, so I expect it needs to be compiled on a Series 2. Maybe if someone has gcc and Perl on a Series 2, he could compile libpcap and Net-Pcap and make the binaries available.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #50
jlc

OUT2OSD version 0.9 has been released. It works with all versions of NCID

OUT2OSD uses libosd to display text on the TiVo. Libosd has been fixed to work with TiVo OS 7.X.
It should work with all hardware except series 2.5 and newer. The display has problems with menus and applications, but works fine otherwise. See the NCID home page.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #51
rbautch
User

Would it run on a prom modded series 2.5 running 7.x?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #52
jlc

OUT2OSD will not run on a prom modded series 2.5 running 7.x. Work is continuing on libosd so I expect the problem will be solved. Also, the next release of NCID will include a output module that uses /tvbin/text2osd to display text. This one should run on all TiVo hardware, including the series 2.5. The curious part is this TiVo text display program has the same menu and application problems that OUT2OSD has.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #53
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
OUT2OSD will not run on a prom modded series 2.5 running 7.x. Work is continuing on libosd so I expect the problem will be solved. Also, the next release of NCID will include a output module that uses /tvbin/text2osd to display text. This one should run on all TiVo hardware, including the series 2.5. The curious part is this TiVo text display program has the same menu and application problems that OUT2OSD has.
When you say "all TiVo hardware" does that mean all TiVo hardware that is hackable or does it truly mean all TiVo hardware. I'd really love to have this available on my unhackable RS-TX20. Purty puhleeeeze???

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #54
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
When you say "all TiVo hardware" does that mean all TiVo hardware that is hackable or does it truly mean all TiVo hardware. I'd really love to have this available on my unhackable RS-TX20. Purty puhleeeeze???
Yes, I meant all TiVo hardware that is currently hackable. The NCID client must reside on the TiVo, the server can reside elsewhere.

I think a client can be made as a application and run on a unmodified TiVo, but I do not know if it can be started and stay running when you switch to watch a show. If anyone is interested in doing such a client and experiment with it, the source for NCID contains documention on the protocols used and guidelines to writing a client. I intend to look into this, but have not had the time so far.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #55
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
Yes, I meant all TiVo hardware that is currently hackable.
DRAT!

Thanks for the answer though.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #56
jlc

NCID version 0.66 has been released.

The server has a new fix so programs that take control of the modem can not cause it to abort if they release the modem improperly. This should fix all instances of ncidd aborting (hopefully).

The client has improvements and a new option to send messages to the output modules.

There is a new output module called ncid-tivo, that should run on all hacked TiVo hardware and the current OS. A new name for the client is tivoncid. It calls the ncid-tivo output module. This module uses the TiVo text2osd program instead of out2osd.

See the Release Notes and http://ncid.sourceforge.net for more information.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #57
Runch Machine

With the Directv upgrade to 6.3a on HD-Tivo HR10-250 I find that the receiver reboots when trying to dial out. If I comment out the lines in the author file that start the NCID program, the problem goes away. A few other people have posted having the same problem. It happens on both of my HD Tivos.

To be clear, if I tell the Tivo to make a test call, it trys for a few minutes and says modem not responding, unplug the receiver to reset the modem. After this message Caller ID doesn't work.

Alternately, if I tell the Tivo to dial out and connect with the service, it sits on prepairing to dial out for a minute or so and then the system reboots.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for fixing this. My Tivos were hacked using RBatchs scripts. I used the Slicer 1.3a to update to activate the 6.3a update.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #58
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine
With the Directv upgrade to 6.3a on HD-Tivo HR10-250 I find that the receiver reboots when trying to dial out. If I comment out the lines in the author file that start the NCID program, the problem goes away. A few other people have posted having the same problem. It happens on both of my HD Tivos.
Have you tried to kill ncidd with the kill command after it starts and see if it can dial out? What version of NCID are you using?

Quote:
To be clear, if I tell the Tivo to make a test call, it trys for a few minutes and says modem not responding, unplug the receiver to reset the modem. After this message Caller ID doesn't work.
Your test call results in a message that that says to reboot the receiver, so I would try to call again after ncidd was killed using the kill command.

Quote:
Alternately, if I tell the Tivo to dial out and connect with the service, it sits on prepairing to dial out for a minute or so and then the system reboots.
This seems like the TiVo rebooted itself to fix the modem.

Quote:
I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for fixing this. My Tivos were hacked using RBatchs scripts. I used the Slicer 1.3a to update to activate the 6.3a update.
There are two things you could try. The first is to be sure you are using version 0.66. This version fixes the server so it should always restart the modem after a dial out. Different fixes for this have been in previous versions, but none always worked until the current fix. The second is to make sure that the lockfile is set properly. For TiVo distributions, the lock file is set in ncidd.conf:

Code:
set lockfile = /var/tmp/modemlock
Its possible that the cause of your problem is that the lockfile name changed with the upgrade to 6.3a . When the TiVo dials out, it creates this lock file which tells ncidd to ignore the modem. When the lock file goes away, this tells ncidd to reinitialize the modem and again monitor for caller id. Make sure the lockfile name and location is still correct, if not, change it. You can look at ncidd.log and see if there is a waiting message which would indicate it saw the lockfile when the TiVo tried to dial out.

I have had a report about ncid (tivocid and tivoncid) not working in version 0.66, but it is unclear if this is due to a corrupted configuration file, so if it does not work, use your current ncid client in place of the one in version 0.66, but if you do this, tivoncid will not work, only tivocid. I have also had a report of a TiVo random reboot that seems to be fixed by a upgrade to version 0.66.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #59
mrbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
Have you tried to kill ncidd with the kill command after it starts and see if it can dial out? What version of NCID are you using?

Your test call results in a message that that says to reboot the receiver, so I would try to call again after ncidd was killed using the kill command.

This seems like the TiVo rebooted itself to fix the modem.

There are two things you could try. The first is to be sure you are using version 0.66. This version fixes the server so it should always restart the modem after a dial out. Different fixes for this have been in previous versions, but none always worked until the current fix. The second is to make sure that the lockfile is set properly. For TiVo distributions, the lock file is set in ncidd.conf:

Code:
set lockfile = /var/tmp/modemlock
Its possible that the cause of your problem is that the lockfile name changed with the upgrade to 6.3a . When the TiVo dials out, it creates this lock file which tells ncidd to ignore the modem. When the lock file goes away, this tells ncidd to reinitialize the modem and again monitor for caller id. Make sure the lockfile name and location is still correct, if not, change it. You can look at ncidd.log and see if there is a waiting message which would indicate it saw the lockfile when the TiVo tried to dial out.

I have had a report about ncid (tivocid and tivoncid) not working in version 0.66, but it is unclear if this is due to a corrupted configuration file, so if it does not work, use your current ncid client in place of the one in version 0.66, but if you do this, tivoncid will not work, only tivocid. I have also had a report of a TiVo random reboot that seems to be fixed by a upgrade to version 0.66.

Wow, excellent information. I am having the same problem as Runch. I upgraded to 0.66 (I was definately on some older version) but the problem remains. I checked and during the call, there is no modemlock file in /var/tmp/ and I don't see any other lock file that is created at that time in /var/tmp. I checked my old T60 with ncid on it and I see the modemlock file in /var/tmp when I call in. So, I think that is the problem. I did some searches for modemlock using ffind during the call but couldn't find it anywhere. How do we track down where the lock file is?

Thanks again for your help.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #60
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbles
Wow, excellent information. I am having the same problem as Runch. I upgraded to 0.66 (I was definately on some older version) but the problem remains. I checked and during the call, there is no modemlock file in /var/tmp/ and I don't see any other lock file that is created at that time in /var/tmp. I checked my old T60 with ncid on it and I see the modemlock file in /var/tmp when I call in. So, I think that is the problem. I did some searches for modemlock using ffind during the call but couldn't find it anywhere. How do we track down where the lock file is?
Normally the lockfile name is based on the TTY port used. Linux will normally create it in /var/lock. If you are using ttyS0, the lock file will be /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0. If you are using ttyS3, the lockfile will be /var/lock/LCK..ttyS3. Tivo did not follow that convention, but ncidd does. Make sure to comment out any lockfile line in ncidd.conf and ncidd will build the lock file as above, based on the TTY port used. Dial out and see if a lock file is generated in /var/lock, with any luck, 6.3 will use the normal lockfile convention. If not, dial out and search for a name using the TTY port. If it only appears during dial out, it is the lock file name to use.

I have more information on the ncid client in version 0.66. If it does not run, remove the ncid.conf file (you can rename it so ncid does not use it). This seems to fix it .