TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #361
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan
Your wife is an addict. Cut her off completely. It's for the best.
When I quoted this to her, she laughed and said you're probably right. Other times, when her mother brings up the subject, she protests by saying it's her hobby, and that everybody has hobbies, and this is hers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #362
timckelley
TCFer

Oh, I have an update and a question for you people. The other day when I said I was going to order my hard drive that afternoon: My wife and I got into discussions about whether it was better to upgrade or get a third TiVo. She started pitching the idea for a 3rd TiVo because she wants to do her archiving stuff upstairs in a room that my son doesn't play in, but when she's downstairs, she wants to be able to watch General Hospital.

At first I thought I could get a cheap lifetime used TiVo off of ebay, because I saw some auctions with low bids and reputable sellers. But then the bid shot way up in the last day, and then when I searched completed auctions, I see it's really hard to get a lifetime for under $300 unless it's a series 1 with very little space.

So after more talking we agreed to the original plan of simply upgrading her current TiVo. I can still accomplish what she wants though because I have some AVcast equipment that I used to have installed, which is currently uninstalled. This equipment lets you watch a TiVo from a different TV than the one it's hooked up to. I used to use this equipment when my TiVo was unsubscribed because I wanted to be able to see my wife's guide data from my TV. Anyway, I can hook this equipment up again, which will allow her to watch her TiVo from downstairs, so this is really the best solution.

So now my next question is which hard drive to buy. Two of you above have posted links for me for suggested hard drives.

One link is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144392

Quote:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
$90.99

In Stock
$5.64 Three Day Shipping (Not available in HI, AK and PR)
Another link is:

http://shop1.outpost.com/search?quer...&order_by=p04d

Quote:
Seagate 300GB ST3300631A-RK Parallel ATA Retail Hard Drive
Item # 4596277 Seagate Same Day $79.99 ships free

Maxtor 300GB L01R300 16MB Buffer Ultra ATA/133 - Retail Hard Drive Kit.
Item # 4187703 Boxed Hard Drives Kits - 300GB & Above - 7200RPM Same Day $79.99
I see the cheapest is the Seaqate 300MB one. Should I be wary of certain brand names? Is there a reason why I should pick a different one that the cheapest above? Seagate is compatible with TiVo, right? BTW, even though the Western Digital says 320 MB, the comments from the consumers say that when formatted, it's just under 300 MB.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 08-28-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #363
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
she wants to be able to watch General Hospital.

+1 for cutting off her TV completely. She needs a new "hobby."
Old 08-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #364
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX

+1 for cutting off her TV completely. She needs a new "hobby."
In her defense, she watches it while she's folding the laundry.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #365
RangersRBack

Holy Mother of God!

I somehow just read this thread for the first time. Three years of the same posts over and over again...what kind of life do you have? And what kind of marriage?

She spends all of her free time recording and hoarding shows, and maybe even spends a little time watching them too. You spend all of your free time doing housework and negotiating time when you can feed her habit.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Do you two have any kind of relationship whatsoever that doesn't involve Tivo? Do you ever do anything together with your child? Ever go to the park? Do you ever do anything together that involves just the two of you? No surprise that you only have one child, she can't get pregnant through the remote.

For the posters who suggested he cut his wife off from the recordings, I totally agree. I also submit that we should cut this guy off from his addiction to coming on here and discussing his horrible personal life, and his questions about technology that never address his ultimate problem.

IMHO he needs to spend less time on here, and instead spend some quality time with his wife. Or some quality time at a lawyer's office getting away from his wife. Or some quality time standing up to his wife, let the tears flow and then take it from there. She may thank you for it later.

To me this barely sounds like a marriage. Ten years later he'll still be here asking about hard drives and the cost of upgrading, instead of addressing the real issues in his marriage.

Jeesh.
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #366
timckelley
TCFer

You exaggerate the situation. The only TiVO watching I ever do is late at night after my son has gone to sleep. I spend most of my other time that I'm not at work, by playing with my son or doing housework. Most evenings I take my son for bike rides or walks, and at least once per weekend I usually go on hikes with him, and my wife and he and I often go swimming in our backyard swimming pool.

The problem with my wife is that she schedules a lot more stuff on her TiVo than she really has time to watch, and so it backs up on her.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #367
RangersRBack

Quote:
The problem with my wife is that she schedules a lot more stuff on her TiVo than she really has time to watch, and so it backs up on her.
The problem with your wife goes far beyond having her Tivo back up on her. Re-read your posts.

Your marriage needs help.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #368
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
The problem with your wife goes far beyond having her Tivo back up on her. Re-read your posts.

Your marriage needs help.
Actually, you're right but not for the reasons you had just posted, which is why I corrected your statment that we have no time for each other or for our son. We are, in fact, getting help. We're participating in marriage counseling currently, and in fact I've just finally arranged respite care for our disabled son once a month, so that we can hopefully finally have time to do things together without necessarily having our son with us all the time.

I've also been asking her for a long time that we should eat lunch together at least once a week while my son is at school, but she's always too busy for that. Yesterday, she said she intends to make time for this.

Having said that, yes she still has a problem with being obsessed with her TiVo, but it's more harmless than more expensive hobbies might be, or doing drugs, etc. She does need a hobby and there are worse ones to have. Meanwhile, I'd like to pursue this cheap upgrade to her TiVo as a means of reclaiming my own TiVo back again.

I recently noticed I had less than one screen of suggestions, and I told my wife, and she made progress and cleared up some stuff, but now I see she's scheduled a bunch of movies on my TiVo, some of which are currently in NP. Also, the new season has started, and my To Do list suddenly has several eps of my shows scheduled.

I took the action last night, and changed my SPs to KUID to combat with her KUID stuff, and I note that not quite all can be changed to KUID without getting warnings of earlier than desired expiration dates being assigned to my shows. I warned my wife this morning, but we barely had time to talk about it.

What I plan to do in the meanwhile before the upgrade is complete is to keep careful watch of my To Do List. If one of my eps is projected not to record due to lack of space, I really feel that I should delete one of my wife's movies, or delete one from the To Do List, in order that I get my show record. But in fairness I think I should let her know my plan, and I hope she sees the reasonableness in my logic that if my show is not recorded vs her show not being recorded, my shows should get priority, since it is my TiVo we're talking about. Meanwhile I should get moving on this upgrade so that less of this problem has to surface.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-27-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #369
JYoung
Series 3

Your wife is not respecting your boundries.
Time to hide your TiVo remote with you when you're not using it.

And of the drives you listed, I like the Seagate the best.

I have a Seagate running in my Series 2 with no issue so far.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #370
RangersRBack

Quote:
Actually, you're right but not for the reasons you had just posted, which is why I corrected your statment that we have no time for each other or for our son. We are, in fact, getting help. We're participating in marriage counseling currently, and in fact I've just finally arranged respite care for our disabled son once a month, so that we can hopefully finally have time to do things together without necessarily having our son with us all the time.

I've also been asking her for a long time that we should eat lunch together at least once a week while my son is at school, but she's always too busy for that. Yesterday, she said she intends to make time for this.

Having said that, yes she still has a problem with being obsessed with her TiVo, but it's more harmless than more expensive hobbies might be, or doing drugs, etc. She does need a hobby and there are worse ones to have. Meanwhile, I'd like to pursue this cheap ugrade to her TiVo as a means of reclaiming my own TiVo back again.

I recently noticed I had less that one screen of suggestions, and I told my wife, and she made progress and cleared up some stuff, but now I see she's scheduled a bunch of movies on my TiVo, some of which are currently in NP. Also, the new season has started, and my To Do list suddenly has several eps of my shows scheduled.

I took the action last night, and changed my SPs to KUID to combat with her KUID stuff, and I note that not quite all can be changed to KUID without getting warnings of earlier than desired expiration dates being assigned to my shows. I warned my wife this morning, but we barely had time to talk about it.

What I plan to do in the meanwhile before the upgrade is complete is to keep careful watch of my To Do List. If one of my eps is projected not to record due to lack of space, I really feel that I should delete one of my wife's movies, or delete one from the To Do List, in order that I get my show record. But in fairness I think I should let her know my plan, and I hope she sees the reasonableness in my logic that if my show is not recorded vs her show not being recorded, my shows should get priority, since it is my TiVo we're talking about. Meanwhile I should get moving on this upgrade so that less of this problem has to surface.
Stop already, just stop.

Stop with the SP's and the KUID's and hoping she sees the reasonableness of your logic. You're past that now, if it hasn't changed in the last three years it won't change now.

You're just going to keep going back and forth, and in ten years you'll still be here posting about your latest idea that hopefully won't make her mad, and you'll be up to 35,000 posts (dude you're averaging like 200 a month).

She needs to walk away from the Tivo, and you need to walk away from this forum. You're both addicted, and your marriage is virtually over because of it.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #371
classicX
Don't scream.

tim, while RangersRBack is being a bit rude and sensationalistic, I tend to agree, but I don't think that your marriage is over. Without getting too deep into your personal life, judging by your posts here, it seems that there are bigger issues than the Tivo.

You and possibly your wife as well are using the Tivo as an excuse.

That said, you may not get to the root cause without some drastic measures. I said it jokingly before, but disconnecting the Tivo's is probably a good start. It will likely cause a big argument, but tell her it's because you want to spend more time with her and your son and don't want any excuses. Tell her you love her.

It will get worse before it gets better, but I think it's worth it, don't you?

For what it's worth, it's just TV. What will happen to her if she misses some shows? It won't kill her. I used to be the same way, recording show after show and always making time to watch TV, when it should be the other way around - if there is something better to do with your time (rather than watching TV), do it.

Tell her if she wants to watch General Hospital while folding the laundry, then fold the laundry while General Hospital is ON.

Be sure to let it be known that you are denying yourself from the Tivo as well. Take the Tivos and put them in a box and store them somewhere, for a good long while. Trust me, it won't be the end of the world. Not even your world.

But underlying issues will only be exacerbated by smaller "surface" issues. The quicker you get to the real issues, the quicker they can be resolved.

Tivo may lose a customer but you will gain a life.

And not just a 1UP mushroom.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #372
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Oh. My. God.

I just now read through all 13 pages of this thread. I had hoped it was just a controversial thread that garnered a lot of responses....so imagine my surprise when I saw it had been going on for THREE years.

I am seriously amazed that you can live with this. I know people have to pick their battles, but this would drive me INSANE! It doesn't matter how many boxes you have or how big you upgrade to, this is always going to be a problem. So why even bother??

Oh, and +1 for your wife going cold turkey. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #373
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
but tell her it's because you want to spend more time with her and your son and don't want any excuses.
I don't understand this statement. I'm currently not sacrificing any time with her or my son by watching TiVo. I've said many times in this thread that I only watch it late at night when my wife and son are asleep. My TiVo usage really is not causing any other part of my life to suffer. You could possibly make the argument that having my TiVo in the house is too great a temptation for my wife, but it's not true that I personally am sacrificing other things I should be doing instead.

Also, I really don't spend a lot of hours a week watching TiVo. I'm far from being controlled by it. But what few hours I spend, I feel it would be nice if I could use technology to make most use of those hours. (e.g. TiVo lets me FF thru commercials.) One of the big selling points of TiVo is that it lets you get higher quality TV viewing done is less time. I really think I use my TiVo the way it's meant to be used, and I'm not addicted to it. My wife may be, but I'm not.

As far as, is my wife spending less time with me and my son? She doesn't spend less time with my son, because she watches it mainly when he's in school. This is why she's so backlogged right now. His summer vacation (which is 1 1/2 months for him) just ended, and during that time, she didn't have a lot of time to watch TiVo. The fact that she's usually too busy to eat lunch with me, though, could be a sign she spends too much time with her TiVo. You could argue that if she spends less time with TiVo, she could have more time to finish her other house work, and have more time to spend with me at lunch, but that's fairly minor in the scheme of things, timewise, since lunch doesn't last very long. (BTW, every Friday all 3 of us already eat lunch together because my son gets off from school at lunchtime on Fridays.)

I think she suffers most from her TiVo because she gets backlogged in her housework. I do think she needs a hobby, but she does seem to get obsessed with TiVo.

But to give up TiVo so I can spend more time with my wife and son? That doesn't make sense. Giving up my TiVO watching would make no difference, since they're asleep anyway.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #374
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhudson
Oh. My. God.

I just now read through all 13 pages of this thread. I had hoped it was just a controversial thread that garnered a lot of responses....so imagine my surprise when I saw it had been going on for THREE years.

I am seriously amazed that you can live with this. I know people have to pick their battles, but this would drive me INSANE! It doesn't matter how many boxes you have or how big you upgrade to, this is always going to be a problem. So why even bother??

Oh, and +1 for your wife going cold turkey. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
It may be hard to tell by reading the thread at one whack, unless you pay close attention to the date stamps on each post, but really since I bought my TiVo 2 1/2 years ago, it's only in the last month I've had a problem with her hogging my space on it. For over two years I've actually lived in TiVo happiness.

True, she's infringed on it slightly over the last two years, but only to a very very small percentage of my free space. Now, in the first year (i.e. 3 1/2 years ago) of TiVo ownership, that's another story. At that time, we only had one TiVo, and there were quite a few months of conflict on that TiVo.

But you might have a false impression that I've spent 3 1/2 years of solid TiVo misery; that's not the case.

Also, if you think upgrading will not solve problems, it might at least extend it another 2 1/2 years like the last upgrade did. But I'd like to think that if my wife does develop 300 hours of backlog, she'll face reality and accept that that's too much and do something about it. From talking to her about this aspect, she agrees. She thinks an 80 hour (at basic quality - it's much much less than that at High or Best Quality) TiVo is not enough space, but 300 hours is. There actually is a certain amount of logic to that statement.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #375
RangersRBack

Quote:
It may be hard to tell by reading the thread at one whack, unless you pay close attention to the date stamps on each post, but really since I bought my TiVo 2 1/2 years ago, it's only in the last month I've had a problem with her hogging my space on it. For over two years I've actually lived in TiVo happiness.

True, she's infringed on it slightly over the last two years, but only to a very very small percentage of my free space. Now, in the first year (i.e. 3 1/2 years ago) of TiVo ownership, that's another story. At that time, we only had one TiVo, and there were quite a few months of conflict on that TiVo.

But you might have a false impression that I've spent 3 1/2 years of solid TiVo misery; that's not the case.

Also, if you think upgrading will not solve problems, it might at least extend it another 2 1/2 years like the last upgrade did. But I'd like to think that if my wife does develop 300 hours of backlog, she'll face reality and accept that that's too much and do something about it. From talking to her about this aspect, she agrees. She thinks an 80 hour (at basic quality - it's much much less than that at High or Best Quality) TiVo is not enough space, but 300 hours is. There actually is a certain amount of logic to that statement.
Dude you've been posting about this for three years...THREE YEARS.

Part of me thinks you're making this all up to show us how dependant we've all become on our tivos. You speak of such an extreme example with thousands of hours of recordings, someone who is so obsessed with Tivo it sounds like she doesn't think of much else, and a marriage that sounds more like two people trying to figure out how to share Tivo, instead of trying to figure out how to share a life.

Now I don't think this is really the case, but for crying out loud already...THREE YEARS and you're still discussing the same basic issues.

Go to the movies for once, or a baseball game or something. Or exercise. I love Tivo but I have other interests too.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #376
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Go to the movies for once, or a baseball game or something. Or exercise. I love Tivo but I have other interests too.
You might notice from my post count that I have posted on many, many other subjects than just TiVo (on the other TCF subforums.) This is a 3 year long thread, but the amount of time I've spent per month posting to this particular thread has been very small. Sometimes months go by without me putting in a single post.

Also, as for other activies (movies, etc), did you not notice how I said I only watch TiVo late at night after my family is asleep? During the day I have various other activities I participate in.

However this forum is the Coffee House forum, and in this forum we are only allowed to post about TiVo. Hopefully that explains why I've confined my discussion here to TiVo, and how a 3 year thread could be devoted to that subject.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 07-09-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #377
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
... but now I see she's scheduled a bunch of movies on my TiVo, some of which are currently in NP.
May I suggest a separate negotiation for the movies?

I personally don't see the value in setting up my TiVo to record movies for me unless there is no other way to see the movie. I'd much rather get the DVD, which can be watched without FFing through commercials, comes with extras (I especially enjoy commentary tracks) etc.

If your budget allows, perhaps she could get some of these movies some other way. If not, perhaps a 'house rule' could be negotiated that summertime when she is likely to be behind in watching her other stuff is not a good time to go out looking for movies to record.

If you have a TiVo, sooner or later you have to learn that you can't record everything you might like to see and you can't watch everything that gets recorded. You have to be able to let some stuff go.

I recently had to go on a trip with an open-ended return date. I too have a backlog of shows I need to dump off to VCR. I gutted my SPM, tossing out a lot of SPs for stuff I really didn 't care about, turning off auto-recording for a bunch of ARWLs, etc. so that I could keep the stuff I needed to put at KUID and have space to record the stuff we absolutely wanted to see that would air while we were gone. CBS News Sunday Morning is great, but would we care about watching a two-week-old recording? No, so off the To Do list it went. The manual five-minute recordings we use to change the channel for the morning news -- out! And so on.

If the movie in question has never been out on DVD and can't be rented or gotten in some other way, that's one thing. But if it is something that's readily availble on another format, why waste valuable TiVo space?

If you like, point out to her how much movies are edited for TV. Sell her on the better movie-viewing experience she could have if she chooses not to fill up your TiVo with movies.

Negotiate, but give her a chance to come around so she'll make the decision and she'll be happy with what she chooses to keep or toss.

P.S. to the rest of you -- give Tim and his wife a break. They have the right, and deserve the chance to work things out to their satisfaction, not ours. If they have a disabled kid, they have stuff to worry about that a lot of the rest of us don't have. So what if they fight a little over the TiVos? It's better than fighting about other stuff.

Jan
Old 08-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #378
RangersRBack

Quote:
You might notice from my post count that have posted on many, many other subjects than just TiVo (on the other TCF subforums.) This is a 3 year long thread, but the amount of time I've spent per month posting to this particular thread has been very small. Sometimes months go by with me putting in a single post.

Also, as for other activies (movies, etc), did you not notice how I said I only watch TiVo late at night after my family is asleep? During the day I have various other activities I participate in.

However this forum is the Coffee House forum, and in this forum we are only allowed to post about TiVo. Hopefully that explains why I've confined my discussion here to TiVo.
Yet three years later you're still posting about the exact same issue...your wife infringing on your tivo space. It's getting old now, literally, and to me 9,000 posts in less than four years is a lot. 200 posts a month on a tivo forum is excessive, regardless of the subject you're posting about...it's still Tivo.

There is a lot of obsession going on in your house, and maybe it's time to do the unthinkable...get rid of Tivo altogether. Both you and your wife may find it liberating that you're not tied to the machine anymore, and maybe you can move on to more important things...like real life.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #379
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Yet three years later you're still posting about the exact same issue...your wife infringing on your tivo space. It's getting old now, literally, and to me 9,000 posts in less than four years is a lot. 200 posts a month on a tivo forum is excessive, regardless of the subject you're posting about...it's still Tivo.

There is a lot of obsession going on in your house, and maybe it's time to do the unthinkable...get rid of Tivo altogether. Both you and your wife may find it liberating that you're not tied to the machine anymore, and maybe you can move on to more important things...like real life.
If you're complaining about 200 posts per month (it's actually less than that btw) you need to complain to quite a few users here besides me. My post count is lower than many. If you're complaining that I let a thread last this long, there is no rule or expiration date set on threads. You have the option of not reading this thread if you're getting bored by it. I have gotten the impression that not everybody is bored from it.

Also, I don't need liberation from my TiVo, because frankly, I don't spend that much time on it. Percentagewise, the vast majority of my life is not spent on TiVo related activities.

Lastly, I haven't been posting about the same thing these 3 years. The fact that she's infringed onto a TiVo that has been exclusivly assigned to me is a fairly recent development.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #380
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Lastly, I haven't been posting about the same thing these 3 years. The fact that she's infringed onto a TiVo that has been exclusivly assigned to me is a fairly recent development.
but even if you put a 300 gig drive in - she will still at some point be back to your TiVo becasue she has filled up her space again.

ask yourself why she needs to make so many VCR tapes she never watches? What void is she filling by collecting shows?
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #381
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
but even if you put a 300 gig drive in - she will still at some point be back to your TiVo becasue she has filled up her space again.

ask yourself why she needs to make so many VCR tapes she never watches? What void is she filling by collecting shows?
I've talked to her about this. She stopped working when our son was born almost 7 years ago, and I think she doesn't feel completely fulfulled as her career has ended. I've told her she's welcome to start working again - we'd have to find childcare. But so far she doesn't want to. As for saving all those tapes? Much earlier in this thread, I might have mentioned that she disposed of a whole bunch of them, so she doesn't own as many tapes as she used to. But she's slowly starting to build them up again. She claims she wants them to watch in her old age, or for our son to have access to when he gets older. She actually regrets disposing of some of those tapes. She felt pressured into it, and regrets doing it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I mentioned my son is autistic and still can't speak and needs a lot of supervision, and this puts a lot of of stress on her.

As for the 300 gig only delaying the problem - I have already addressed this in recent posts

a) She only has 80G now, which is really not very big. In a way, I don't blame her for having space problems. 80G is not much - I think if she's going to have and use a TiVo, it's not unreasonable for her to have more than a measly 80G.

b) I'm hoping that if she still fills up a 300G drive (sHe has never had that massive a backlog in her life yet, so I'm not prepared to predict with certainty she's going to now), then I'd like to think she'd see the awesome size of the backlog and face facts that she's recording too much stuff and start pruning her SPs.

c) Even if the above fails, well, the last time I upgraded I got 2 1/2 years of happiness on my TiVo with no space problems. Maybe we'll get another 2 1/2 years of happiness out of this upgrade. Maybe more, because this is a bigger upgrade than last time. That alone is worth it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #382
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
BTW, even though the Western Digital says 320 MB, the comments from the consumers say that when formatted, it's just under 300 MB.
They all format like that. Drive manufacturers let their ad departments lie. Must drive their engineers mad. I have that WD in my Tivo. Would highly recommend.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #383
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
They all format like that. Drive manufacturers let their ad departments lie. Must drive their engineers mad. I have that WD in my Tivo. Would highly recommend.
Thanks for this feedback.

JYoung likes the Seagate, which is cheaper, but you and one other person have recommended the WD. Hmmmmm.... hard decision.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #384
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Thanks for this feedback.

JYoung likes the Seagate, which is cheaper, but you and one other person have recommended the WD. Hmmmmm.... hard decision.
Well, the Seagates still come with a 5 year warranty while the Western Digital's come with a 1 or 3 year warranty.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the WDs, I have two in my server. Of course the OS drives are Seagates and I have yet to see a Barracuda crap out in less then five years.

I'm personally avoiding Maxtor right now, I've seen a number of them crap out in the past year (and yes I know that Seagate bought them)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #385
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
Well, the Seagates still come with a 5 year warranty while the Western Digital's come with a 1 or 3 year warranty.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the WDs, I have two in my server. Of course the OS drives are Seagates and I have yet to see a Barracuda crap out in less then five years.

I'm personally avoiding Maxtor right now, I've seen a number of them crap out in the past year (and yes I know that Seagate bought them)
Interestingly, the one TiVo hard drive that went bad on me was a Maxtor.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #386
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
The WD linked had a 3-yr. But I would choose WD for its acoustic noise level. I know you can use the Hitachi Feature Tool to quiet down Hitachi, Maxtor and WD drives. Don't believe it works on Seagates. (Maybe they have their own software, or maybe it isn't even necessary.)
Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #387
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
a) She only has 80G now, which is really not very big. In a way, I don't blame her for having space problems. 80G is not much - I think if she's going to have and use a TiVo, it's not unreasonable for her to have more than a measly 80G.
on that I do agree. I have an 80 gig Dual Tuner and it drove me nuts keeping things from falling off it. The new TV season would just not work on it at all.

I put in a 500Gig Maxtor recently and am much happier with the room. I currently have about 200 suggestions on it

The maxtor was well priced at $180 from outpost.com but the drive is fairly noisy when it writes. I would not get it again. Good thing it is in the family room where the noise is not a big deal.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #388
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
The maxtor was well priced at $180 from outpost.com but the drive is fairly noisy when it writes.
Did you try the Hitachi Feature Tool or AMSET (Maxtor's own acustic managment software) on it to try quieting it down? You can still pull it and do it now. It doesn't alter the data on the drive.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #389
RavenFan

Quote:
And exactly how does the existence of this thread negatively impact your life so much that you feel compelled to repeat your same argument with this guy over and over again?

Read the thread. Don't read the thread. Who cares? Just understand that we all have the right to post TiVo related issues to this forum. If you won't like the thread, don't read it.

By the way, this thread contains what? 13 pages? In 3 years? That averages out to about 1/3 of a page per month. Not that much in the big scheme of things.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #390
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenFan
And exactly how does the existence of this thread negatively impact your life so much that you feel compelled to repeat your same argument with this guy over and over again?

Read the thread. Don't read the thread. Who cares? Just understand that we all have the right to post TiVo related issues to this forum. If you won't like the thread, don't read it.

By the way, this thread contains what? 13 pages? In 3 years? That averages out to about 1/3 of a page per month. Not that much in the big scheme of things.
Relax. The point I was trying to make is that he has other issues besides which hard drive to buy. How does the existence of my post negatively impact your life so much that you feel compelled to answer? Read my post, don't read my post, who cares? Just understand that we all have the right to post. If you don't like my post, don't read it.

And if you took the time to read the thread you would see that others agree with me, but I'm the one who came out and said it a little more directly than most.