Series2 DirecTV SD Unit 212 47.96%
Series2 DirecTV HD Unit 90 20.36%
Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #91
danny7481
Tivo Addict

this morning my samsung tivo is working but my philips appears to be 'disconnected'

1. UNIT TYPE samsung s4040r, philips dsr708
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC): suscom/comcast cable modem (motorola)
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP: Static
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET): wireless usb
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO): Yes
Old 08-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #92
kewashi

Like so many others, this worked great for me upon first install and then later I couldn't get it to reconnect. I restared the rc.gotomdvr client as noted in other posts but it didn't solve my problem. Unfortunately I cant get port forwarding to work either on my action tec. If any one has any experience with an action tec dsl gateway I would appreciate hearing more about how you configured it.
Networked with enhancements
A Lame unhacked R10
kewashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #93
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

HDVR2, installed no errors, rebooted, registered correct TiVo ID, still nothing.

BTW, what are the requirements for the port numbers on the register page. My broadband will not allow incoming port 80 requests, so I registered the TiVo as 8081 and opened up incoming TCP 8081 to the TiVo, all outgoing ports for the TiVo are open, both TCP and UDP. How does the client know what port is specified in the registration page?

Anyway, it didn't work.
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #94
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
HDVR2, installed no errors, rebooted, registered correct TiVo ID, still nothing.

BTW, what are the requirements for the port numbers on the register page. My broadband will not allow incoming port 80 requests, so I registered the TiVo as 8081 and opened up incoming TCP 8081 to the TiVo, all outgoing ports for the TiVo are open, both TCP and UDP. How does the client know what port is specified in the registration page?

Anyway, it didn't work.
The port number you register with should be the port number used by TiVoWeb on the particular TiVo you are using. It has nothing to do with your router and it doesn't matter what is going on on your network as far as "incoming" requests are concerned - the connection is actually initiated via your TiVo via a secure tunnel on a private port assigned by the server.... ie - you don't need to mess with your router at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #95
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
FWIW, still running on my DSR6000/CacheCard since the reboot yesterday to get the title to stick in httpd-tt.tcl -- yesterday!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #96
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
FWIW, still running on my DSR6000/CacheCard since the reboot yesterday to get the title to stick in httpd-tt.tcl -- yesterday!
Cool. Hopefully we'll have some more meaningful information and a plan on what needs to be fixed sometime next week; stay tuned and please keep posting your observations and recommendations.

Thx everyone for taking the time to test things out - we have about 40 people registered now and its good to see some activity on the server!

Lou

Old 08-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #97
Tonedeaf

Used instructions from first page to install and access:

1. Hdvr2 and Hr10-250
2. DSL
3. Dynamic
4 USB Network Adapters on both units
5. Yes, disconnects.

Did a little trial and error and the units stay connected as long as I have the bash prompt up in telnet for each one. As soon as I close my telnet screen and access from gotomydvr it shows unit disconnected.

Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #98
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedeaf

Did a little trial and error and the units stay connected as long as I have the bash prompt up in telnet for each one. As soon as I close my telnet screen and access from gotomydvr it shows unit disconnected.
If you are ok to restart the unit, the applications should start up automatically; hopefully that will make a difference, but I won't be surprised if you still get disconnects. It is worth a try, though - we've had some units running with no problems for the last 3 weeks - it seems a bit random right now.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #99
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Update:

DSR6000 #1 (CacheCard), after an intentional reboot around 1:00 (working on another hack), gotomydvr ran from the startup script and is still running fine.

DSR6000 #2 (Turbonet) after completing the basic re-hacks around 2:00 am, loaded the shell script and started it manually, then rebooted to lock it in. It too is still running fine 14 hours later.

Still no luck tracking anything down WRT getting the shell script running on the TCD540.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #100
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

1. UNIT TYPE Hughes HDVR2 (x2)
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC): Comcast broadband
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP: Dynamic
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET): wired usb
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO): no

Installed just fine. I have browsed the Tivos using my laptop and also my Treo 700p. Effing awesome!!

No problems yet.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #101
zippy7272

Tried accessing from my wap phone, but couldn't get it to login. Should it or could it work?

+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+ ffmpeg & mplex -f 10
zippy7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #102
jasch

It can be installed on a TDC54 (it does have "sh"), the problem is that you have to do the instalation manually. For some reason, the wget does a segmentation fault.
jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #103
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Tried doing it manually with no luck. Can you tell me how you did it? I FTPd over b_install.sh, but the only way I could run it was with #!/bin/bash... and then all it did was spew errors.

I tried breaking it down further, by doing it like this:

Code:
bash-2.02# rm -rf /var/tmp/inst
bash-2.02# mkdir -p /var/tmp/inst
bash-2.02# mount -o remount,rw /
bash-2.02# rm -rf /ptvupgrade/bin/dbclient^M
bash-2.02# rm -rf /ptvupgrade/bin/dbclient
bash-2.02# rm -rf /ptvupgrade/bin/gotomydvr
bash-2.02# rm -rf /ptvupgrade/etc/gotomydvr.conf
bash-2.02# rm -rf /ptvupgrade/etc/id_rsa.db
bash-2.02# rm -rf /ptvupgrade/etc/rc.gotomydvr
bash-2.02# rm -rf /gotomydvr
bash-2.02# cd /var/tmp/inst
bash-2.02# /bin/cat /var/tmp/inst/beta-client-1.0.tar.gz | /bin/gzip -d | /bin/c
pio -i -H tar 2> /dev/null
bash-2.02# ./install.sh
But when I entered "/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &" I got this:

Code:
[1] 7304
bash-2.02# Internal error #R
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: .: filename argument required
.: usage: . filename
*** Empty KNOWN_HOST configuration ***

[1]+  Exit 1                  /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr
bash-2.02#

Last edited by Francesco : 08-27-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #104
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasch
It can be installed on a TDC54 (it does have "sh"), the problem is that you have to do the instalation manually. For some reason, the wget does a segmentation fault.
Does both http_get and wget segfault? Do they segfault for everyting, or just this download?

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #105
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

They both do, on anything.

Edit: I stand corrected -- wget works with minimal arguments.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #106
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

I edited b_install.sh to use wget instead, but once again when I started gotomydvr, I got the "Internal error #R /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: .: filename argument required .: usage: . filename
*** Empty KNOWN_HOST configuration ***" error.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #107
jasch

I basically did everything manually, I encountered the same problems as you (KNOWN_HOST). Like I said in my original post, it can be installed... I should have added that it didn't run.
jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #108
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
The port number you register with should be the port number used by TiVoWeb on the particular TiVo you are using. It has nothing to do with your router and it doesn't matter what is going on on your network as far as "incoming" requests are concerned - the connection is actually initiated via your TiVo via a secure tunnel on a private port assigned by the server.... ie - you don't need to mess with your router at all.
Actually, I have to open outgoing ports on my router for the TiVo, because my router blocks all outgoing ports in addition to all incoming ports, unless specifically allowed by rules.

I did open all outgoing ports (TCP/UDP) for the TiVo (192.168.3.132), but still nothing, the service always showed DISCONNECTED on the site. I checked the processes on the TiVo (ps -aux), but no gotomydvr was running, even after a reboot, so I started it manually, still nothing. By the way, I never encountered any error messages, on install or startup of gotomydvr.

I pulled the startup code from the end of my AUTHOR file and removed the gotomydvr directory, and I will re-install it again later.

Thanks.

1. UNIT TYPE HDVR2
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC) CABLE
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP STATIC
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET) USB (FA120)
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO) YES
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #109
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
Actually, I have to open outgoing ports on my router for the TiVo, because my router blocks all outgoing ports in addition to all incoming ports, unless specifically allowed by rules.
What type of router do you have? Is this something that is common? (I've never heard of that, but that doesn't mean much...)

Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #110
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
What type of router do you have? Is this something that is common? (I've never heard of that, but that doesn't mean much...)
And this from the guy asking us to open up our networks/tivos to him?
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #111
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
And this from the guy asking us to open up our networks/tivos to him?
ouch. so perhaps i have missed something. is it common for routers to block OUTGOING connections? i've only known some corporate firewalls to do this and never known a brand of router to do this by default.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #112
Draven X. Byrne
Pope to the TiVos

This is sweet!

Installed it super fast no sweat. TiVoUpgrade - will the script automatically go out for upgrades or will you email us to go and re-run the scripts?

So cool!

DXB
Draven X. Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #113
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

I believe every time it starts up it looks for the newest version. But if you don't need to restart it, obviously it won't.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:02 AM   #114
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Hello from the UK

1. UNIT TYPE: Thomson Series 1
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC): Cable
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP: Dynamic
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET): Turbonet
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO): ? (Not sure what this means)

Seems to work okay. Only had a couple of minutes play so far, though. Does seem a little slower than my usual connection via DynDNS, which I will probably return to, if only for the simplicity of one-click connection to my beloved Tivo.

However, it works

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Last edited by cwaring : 08-30-2006 at 04:49 AM.
cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #115
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
ouch. so perhaps i have missed something. is it common for routers to block OUTGOING connections? i've only known some corporate firewalls to do this and never known a brand of router to do this by default.
No, it's not common for consumer routers to do this. But such devices do exist -- often they are soho firewall/router boxes. (And, of course, my little Pix does it, but it's not my production router/firewall...)
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #116
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven X. Byrne
This is sweet!

Installed it super fast no sweat. TiVoUpgrade - will the script automatically go out for upgrades or will you email us to go and re-run the scripts?

So cool!

DXB
Hi,

Right now, once you've installed the client, it doesn't search for an updated version when it starts up. I've considered doing this, but I don't see the client software changing too much once things have been stabilized. So... when we have a new version, I will post here and ask folks to just repeat the install procedure and try the updated version.

The plan is to have an updated version soon that will do some significant logging which may help get to the root of some of the inconsistent connection problems; we'll also set up a mechanism for submitting the log files - hopefully they can just be posted here.

More updates to this by the end of the week (today's meetings will determine the plan of action)...

thx!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #117
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

BTW, let me ask a similarly asked question in a slightly different way... Who has been using the service for more than a few days that HASN'T gotten a "TiVo Unit Disconnected" that hasn't magically restablished itself after a period of time? (ie who hasn't been able to make the message go away without rebooting?)

Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #118
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
The plan is to have an updated version soon that will do some significant logging which may help get to the root of some of the inconsistent connection problems; we'll also set up a mechanism for submitting the log files - hopefully they can just be posted here.

More updates to this by the end of the week (today's meetings will determine the plan of action)...

thx!
Have you done anything on your side to improve the disconnects issues? I ask because I have seen a great improvement today so far. I have logged in 3 times and have connected to all 3 of my machines all 3 times. Coincidence?
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #119
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Ditto here. On my CacheCard DSR6000, no issues since almost the beginning. On the Turbonet DSR6000, after an evening of constant disconnects on Sunday and into early Monday, it magically reconnects on its own now. No troubles (and this is the one I constantly monitor from outside my LAN; the CacheCard one I only get to from outside once a day to check if it's still up).

Lou, any progress on the NO KNOWN HOSTS issue on Series 2.5s?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #120
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Interesting. Nothing has been done 'explicitly' in that we really don't know what the source of the actual issue could be; this is why we think we need to further instrument the client and gather some data. The problem could either be 1) something related to the client 2) something related to your individual network or connection (possibly something ISP-specific) and/or 3) something related to the server.

Clearly, that is a lot of variables, so we are looking into 1 and 3, which I think are the most likely.

With all of that said, I made one change to the server yesterday in the late afternoon - I changed a "timeout" parameter from 120 to 30 seconds. This variable controls the amount of time the server must wait to hear back from your TiVo before it gives you a "disconnect" message when you are interacting with TiVoWeb. eg. If it takes longer than 30 seconds to display your "now showing" list, you will get a "timeout" error. I think there are only a few functions that should normally take longer than 30 seconds, and I increased the variable to 120 seconds based upon a post from cheer very early in the discussion. I'm not certain as to why this might have affected things or whether it really should - but I'll look into that further, as well.

Thx for the comments...