Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #61
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbiker99
What is the best way to remove this? I prefer using my dyndns and port forwarding. Should I just remove the line from my author file.
You can remove, or comment out, the startup commands from rc.sysinit.author, and/or, just remove the /gotomydvr directory (the startup lines won't run anything if the gotomydvr directory does not exist).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #62
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
Re showing the tivos name on TWP. Go into httpd-tt.itcl in the root directory of your TWP installation. The first few lines in the file are concatenated together, and read by default:
variable NAME "TivoWebPlus Project"
variable VERSION "1.0"
This give you "TivoWebPlus Project - v1.0" (or whatever version you are on). You see in the heading for TWP screen.
You can go into the line and modify it to
variable NAME "TivoWebPlus Project - Living Room"
and it will say that in the heading of TivoWebPlus.
It works great, I have it on five boxes and it is indispensible in determining which is which.
I gotta give credit to JohnSorTivo for this in a post he did way back in July of 2004, if anybody feels the need to verify my posting (done at after midnight).
I can't get this to work with 1.2.3... any ideas?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #63
stivovance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
I can't get this to work with 1.2.3... any ideas?
I had to reboot the unit for it to show up, but it does work.
stivovance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:30 AM   #64
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

You can avoid the reboot -- just shut down Tivoweb and restart it. There's a button in hackman that automates the procedure. Otherwise, shut it down from TWP and restart it from bash.

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #65
danny7481
Tivo Addict

my tivos have been disconnected since i first installed.
how do i check to see if the client is running, is it suppose to be running all the time on the tivo?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #66
grazit

Two SD2 tivos, Zippered working like a champ. No issues after 24 hours and 10 or 12 logins.

two days later continuous disconnects

Last edited by grazit : 08-29-2006 at 01:29 PM.
grazit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #67
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny7481
my tivos have been disconnected since i first installed.
how do i check to see if the client is running, is it suppose to be running all the time on the tivo?
The client should be running at all times; do a ps -aux to verify. Take a look at the posts around #30-#35 there are some more details there on what it should look like.
Please provide details on the type of units you have and how they are networked, as well.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #68
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I know that there can be some session confusion when running new browser instances without logging off first. I'd try logging off, and then in again, to see if you can select.
How do I "log off?" Again, there's no frame at the top. When I do connect, I see my TiVoWeb home page as I always have. There's no indication I'm getting there by way of gotomydvr.com. So I'm not sure what you mean by "logging off." Quit and relaunch my browser?

In the end, all I'd really like is a thin navigation bar that'd allow me to switch between DVR 1 and 2. Maybe access account options for your service. And "log off" from gotomydvr.com, I suppose, when I'm done. But right now when I go to gotomydvr.com, it looks like my old TiVoWeb home page, with no additional frames that indicate I'm actually connecting through the new service.

I tried to connect this morning and got the notice that my unit was disconnected at this time. I telneted to my TiVo and ran this command: /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &

and then tried again, and then it worked.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #69
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
You can avoid the reboot -- just shut down Tivoweb and restart it. There's a button in hackman that automates the procedure. Otherwise, shut it down from TWP and restart it from bash.
Tried the regular way, but not quitting then restarting from bash; it did take with a reboot though.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #70
danny7481
Tivo Addict

Quote:
The client should be running at all times; do a ps -aux to verify. Take a look at the posts around #30-#35 there are some more details there on what it should look like.
Please provide details on the type of units you have and how they are networked, as well.

i did the ps -aux and got alot of info, but did not see gotomydvr, so i guess the client is not running, whats the command to start the client? s2 DTivos, both were zippered. both using linksys wireless adapters.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #71
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Seems to be working fine on my DSR6000 with CacheCard and 200 GB drive with lots running.

But I can't get it to work on my mom's DSR6000 with Turbonet and a very clean install (little else running). At first it did connect (from a local machine) through the site, but disconnected quickly on its own, or when I closed telnet. Now I can't connect at all and after a long time the site tells me it's disconnected. Meanwhile I can get into mine at home no trouble.

Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #72
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny7481
i did the ps -aux and got alot of info, but did not see gotomydvr, so i guess the client is not running, whats the command to start the client? s2 DTivos, both were zippered. both using linksys wireless adapters.
From the instructions in post #2 of this thread:

Code:
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &

HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #73
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
How do I "log off?" Again, there's no frame at the top. When I do connect, I see my TiVoWeb home page as I always have. There's no indication I'm getting there by way of gotomydvr.com. So I'm not sure what you mean by "logging off." Quit and relaunch my browser?

In the end, all I'd really like is a thin navigation bar that'd allow me to switch between DVR 1 and 2. Maybe access account options for your service. And "log off" from gotomydvr.com, I suppose, when I'm done. But right now when I go to gotomydvr.com, it looks like my old TiVoWeb home page, with no additional frames that indicate I'm actually connecting through the new service.

I tried to connect this morning and got the notice that my unit was disconnected at this time. I telneted to my TiVo and ran this command: /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &

and then tried again, and then it worked.
k...

try this to logoff:

https://gotomydvr.com/index.php?logout=1

Thx for that feedback; we'll look into that. Right now our programmer is trying to incorprate the TiVo being viewed into the bar at the top of the screen. I'll have her look into this, as well.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #74
danny7481
Tivo Addict

ok, after starting the client back up
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
i can access both tivos again, we will see how long it will last though.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #75
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

It seems to be causing problems on my mom's... first it won't connect, and now the DTiVo is dropping telenetd and TiVoweb intermittently. And no matter how often I start gotomydvr now, it says it's disconnected. I can ping the TiVo just fine.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #76
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, just checked again and got:
Quote:
Unit disconnected!
Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later.
I suspect I can run "/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &" again, but I also suspect it won't last.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #77
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Well, I guess I have to start again. In all my digging and rebooting and whatever, it seems /var got purged.

Telnet still works. Any way to re-load all my hacks to /var (utilities, TWP, ftpd) via telnet? Just httpget them from a local address?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #78
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Well, I guess I have to start again. In all my digging and rebooting and whatever, it seems /var got purged.

Telnet still works. Any way to re-load all my hacks to /var (utilities, TWP, ftpd) via telnet? Just httpget them from a local address?
Hmmm... this seems likely to be more related to a reboot than anything else. I can't answer your question here, but if you are starting over from scratch, I'd recommend you stuff all your hacks in a directory under root. /var/xxx is a dangerous way to go and I'm sorry for any role testing gotomydvr has played in that!

So after reading through today's posts... it does not seem to be everyone that is having the 'disconnect' problems, but there seem to be a select few that have them, and continue to have them. I'd like to try to narrow things down, if that can be done. Is it a particular platform that has been the problem? Is it a particular network connection type that is the problem? Or is it truly random?

If folks who are testing can check in with the following information, it might be useful:

1. UNIT TYPE
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC)
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET)
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO)

and then maybe provide a qualitative description of the testing, so far...

Thanks!

Lou

PS Please know that people are working hard on finding the source of the spurious disconnect - it will be fixed. (I hope...)

Old 08-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #79
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Yeah, just checked again and got:

I suspect I can run "/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &" again, but I also suspect it won't last.
You can; it would probably be wise to see if there are any existing instances of the client running first, and kill -9 them if they are.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #80
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Lou, absolutely no blame to gotomydvr in hosing my hacks! I'm enjoying trying this out and appreciate your (team's) efforts and the help you give here!

Just wasn't expecting it and had to add this to my schedule tonight (I'm re-doing hacks on a S2.5 that got an upgrade when I was not home)...

Old 08-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #81
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
1. UNIT TYPE
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO)
SAS1
Comcrap cable modem
Dynamic
TurboNet
Yes
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #82
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
1. UNIT TYPE
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO)
1. DTivo S2's (3 of them see my sig)
2. RoadRunner Cable
3. Static
4. USB to Ethernet Netgear FA120
5. Yes. Connection will periodically reconnect then disconnect. The start command will get connection back immedeiately but then will lost again soon after. See my posts 6, 13, 17, 23, 30, 37, and 57 for more info.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #83
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Main Tivo:

DSR6000R
Videotron Cable Motorola Surfboard, Linksys WRT54G running Alchemy
Static
CacheCard 512MB to Netgear 10/100 switch
No [Edited 8/27; no disconnects since a reboot on 8/25]

Secondary TiVo (will be re-hacked tonight):

TCD540040 upgraded to 80 GB, hacked
Videotron Cable Motorola Surfboard
Static routing
USR Ethernet dongle, USB 1.1 to Netgear 10/100 switch
n/a

Mom's (re-hacked tonight):

DSR6000R (basic hacks)
Videotron Cable SA Webstar modem
Dynamic
Turbonet to Vonage Motorola VoIP router
No [Update: clean install in new /var and seems like no more problems]

Last edited by Francesco : 08-27-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #84
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

I can't get the client to load onto my TCD540; when I add the first line ("http_get...") via telnet, I get "Segmentation fault."
Old 08-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #85
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

I manually grabbed the b_install.sh file and ftp'd it over, then tried to run 'sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh' from a telnet session and it was full of errors, basically telling me there is no sh on the 540.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 AM   #86
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I manually grabbed the b_install.sh file and ftp'd it over, then tried to run 'sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh' from a telnet session and it was full of errors, basically telling me there is no sh on the 540.
Not sure what the deal is with the software on the S2SA units; I know that there is a problem with wget and segmentation faults. Not sure about the other components and why they would fail.

We don't have a hacked Series2 SA (is yours prom modded) nor am I aware of many out there that have been modified or how they've been modified, so its hard to claim that this tool will work on these units without having used them for development or testing.

Its a bummer that it doesn't work though, and hopefully there is a way to get it to work...

Old 08-26-2006, 01:01 AM   #87
grazit

1. UNIT TYPE 2 hughes II's
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC) DSL
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP Dynamic
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET) USB
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO) NO
grazit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #88
msommer
Card's Fan

1. UNIT TYPE 3 Hughes dvr40 - 1 dvr80
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC) DSL
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP Static
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET) USB
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO) Yes

The app works perfectly until the DTIVO reboots. Then I get the disconnect. Connection is reestablished after entering "/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &"
Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #89
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

The TCD540 is PROM modded. Other hacks loaded via ftp work fine, but none of them were run with 'sh' so I don't know where I' missing stuff.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #90
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
The TCD540 is PROM modded. Other hacks loaded via ftp work fine, but none of them were run with 'sh' so I don't know where I' missing stuff.
One of these days, I will have to get one of those, so I can dink around. There is probably a way to get a version of http_get compiled that does not produce a segmentation fault; or at least to ftp a bundle of binaries that will allow the tools to run.

Where/how did you do your PROM mod? Is there a vendor out there that is doing this in quantity? I've never been sure of what the demand would be for modded S2SA units as software updates are difficult to manage...