TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #31
Fandango2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceeb
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I know we have a Pioneer, but I don't know the specifics. I'm not the electronics genius in our home. My husband's at work and I have a technical problem. I've tried several different DVDs and each time I put one in it says that it can't be read and might be damaged. (I know it's not.) Does anyone have a suggestion?
What kind of DVDs are you trying to load? Non-recordable movies? Blank recordable DVDs? Recordable DVDs that have been burned and have content?
Fandango2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:00 AM   #32
Lsollee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango2002
I bought a bigger HDD for my DVR-810H (hasn't been delivered yet) and I'll be transferring the OS to the new drive myself. Was on the Weaknees site getting the instructions and noticed that 2 torx tools are needed. However, these instructions seem to be for the Humax and Toshiba DVD units specifically (there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Pioneer set of instructions). My question is: does the 810H require these 2 torx tools as well or is it all phillips heads in there? I don't want to open up my Pioneer unit yet and need to know if I should buy these tools on the way home from work. Thanks!
All you need is a phillips .
Lsollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #33
Fandango2002

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #34
retired_guy

I've got a 57H which I bought a few months after they initially came out. I upgraded it to 500GB with no problems. I've burned hundred of DVDs with maybe one or two failing, if that. But I don't burn RW material since cheap blanks are only around $.19. Its a great box--my favorite of all of my units and the one I'm certain to keep around after buying a Series 3.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #35
AlexA6404

I am new to this forum. I am considering getting a Tivo and I could use some expert advice. The options I am considering is to get a box from Tivo with their service or to get a high end box such as DVR-57H so that I can also replce my DVD player, CD player, and VCR with it. A few questions:
- Can I (wireless) network the 57H to access my photos and WMA files from my computer?
- Do I need plus service to network the unit or can I do that with the basic service the unit comes with?
- Is there a way to play WMA files on the 57H? I think there is software that converts WMA files to MP3 on the fly for the Tivo units, but, does that work with the 57H also?
- I assume that you can pause, rewind, etc. live TV with the basic service. 3 days vs 2 weeks programming may not be a big deal. What else would I need the tivo plus service for?
AlexA6404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #36
GT1Boy
got tivo?

AlexA6404, have you seen a 57H in stock somewhere? I have only seen refurbished units around. Pioneer and Toshiba discontinued their TiVos that featured TiVo Basic some time ago. The Humax TiVo DVD Recorders (DRT400 and refurb DRT800) are still readily available but do not come with TiVo Basic like the Pioneer and Toshiba units.

- Can I (wireless) network the 57H to access my photos and WMA files from my computer?
Yes, it is considered a Series 2 TiVo. You will just need to get a compatible USB Ethernet adapter.

- Do I need plus service to network the unit or can I do that with the basic service the unit comes with?
If you mean using the Home Media Features, yes, you need Plus for this.

- Is there a way to play WMA files on the 57H? I think there is software that converts WMA files to MP3 on the fly for the Tivo units, but, does that work with the 57H also?
Yes, check out this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=124778

- I assume that you can pause, rewind, etc. live TV with the basic service. 3 days vs 2 weeks programming may not be a big deal. What else would I need the tivo plus service for?
Home Media Features, Season Passes, Searches by Actor, Director, etc, & Wish Lists, basically everything that makes a TiVo a TiVo.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #37
AlexA6404

I was actually thinking of picking up a DVR-57H on ebay. Again, thinking that this is the highest end (thus the best audio and video quality) Tivo machine out there.
Which USB wireless adaptor would you recommend with the 57H?
AlexA6404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #38
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Check out the "official" list here. I've personally used the D-Link DWL-122 and the LinkSys WUSB12 adapters with no problems, other than slow MRV transfers. I hear the TiVo wireless adapter is faster with MRV transfers, but haven't used it myself. I mostly use wired connections (LinkSys USB200M).
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #39
bicker
Gruff

Definitely a lot faster with MRV transfers. I'm watching something which is being transfered, wireless to router to wireless, and it is keeping pace pretty well with the live transfer.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #40
GT1Boy
got tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexA6404
I was actually thinking of picking up a DVR-57H on ebay. Again, thinking that this is the highest end (thus the best audio and video quality) Tivo machine out there.
Which USB wireless adaptor would you recommend with the 57H?
You might actually want to look at the Humax DRT800 or the Toshiba RX-TS20 or RS-TX60 if you want a firewire input and DVDR drive with newer firmware and support for + and - media as well as well as all of the features of the Pioneers.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #41
Fandango2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Definitely a lot faster with MRV transfers. I'm watching something which is being transfered, wireless to router to wireless, and it is keeping pace pretty well with the live transfer.
What quality is your show recorded at? With lower quality recordings, there is less data to push. I have one box using the TiVo G adapter and the other is using a Linksys wireless-B. I tried watching a High (SP) Quality show while it was being transferred and it kept pausing. If I get a second TiVo G adapter to replace the B, is there a good chance that I'll be able to watch High (SP) Quality shows while they transfer?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #42
bicker
Gruff

These shows (I'm watching one right now, live through the feed) were recorded on High (SP) quality.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #43
Fandango2002

Quote:
These shows (I'm watching one right now, live through the feed) were recorded on High (SP) quality.
Nice. Do you have WEP encryption enabled on your wireless network? If so, is it 64-bit or 128-bit? I might just have to break down and buy another TiVo adapter!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #44
bicker
Gruff

You do ask all the hard questions, don't you? Lemme see if I can figure out the answer here.... WEP 64-bit.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #45
Fandango2002

Quote:
You do ask all the hard questions, don't you? Lemme see if I can figure out the answer here.... WEP 64-bit.
LOL! Thanks. I think I might have to try to eliminate all "B" devices from my wireless network (I'm reading here that this can affect performance), buy that second TiVo adapter and try it. Going from 128-bit to 64-bit WEP sounds scary to me - hopefully, I won't have to do that. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:04 AM   #46
Pioneering

Question Will my Pioneer work with Dish Network??

First I must say thanks to Robomeister for starting our own Pioneer owners thread I had thought of doing this a while back after seeing the Humax and other "clubs", but I was only a rookie here
I even tried a Panasonic recorder in my first year of ownership since I was frustrated in not being able to edit on the hard drive. But the Pany was so clunky to operate and didn't hold a candle to my 810 in terms of elegance--tivo!
Okay...I own the DVR-810H-S. I currently have Cox cable, non-digital, expanded basic w/o a cable box.
I only have tivo basic, but I'm quite satisfied with that.
But now I'm thinking of dumping cox and going with Dish Network. I met a local vendor and their running a great special right now.
But I remember seeing something somwhere about an incompatability between satelite and either my pioneer or another DVR. I believe it had something to do with the TV guide. But now I can't find that info.
So, does anyone know what this is??
Thanks!!
Pioneering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #47
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Standalone TiVos can control Dish receivers just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #48
Pioneering

Thanks megazone
Now that I've slept on this delema, do you know if my tivo basic machine will have access to the tv guide for the direct tv,
so that I can use my unit just as before?
Thanks again
Old 08-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #49
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I believe TiVo Basic can take the same inputs as TiVo Plus: http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1199.htm?

|
|
|
Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #50
justahobby

I've been looking and have not found

info about Tivo Basic and Tivotogo.
I don't want music or pictures for transfers..just want the ability to send my recordings to my laptop..
in my configuration screen the Media Access Key says Temporaly not available.
i have the Tivo USB network adapter and it works fine.
Download the software from Tivo and installed.,
sotware wants a Key from my unit,
Do I have to have Plus for Tivotogo?
justahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #51
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Yes.

|
|
|
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #52
Pioneering

Arrow My pioneer's burner is dead?!

About a week ago, I tried to view a just burned disk. At first try, I got an error message screen. Second try, the disk's menu displayed. But when I tried to play the first selection (tv show) on the disk, there was a sort of winding up noise that got more intense and sounded like it was straining or getting "tighter" as it sounded like the this winding sound was slowing down. The program never even started to play. I unplugged my 810 and after it booted back up, it refused to read any dvd disk inserted--blank, recorded (dv-r) or a commercial movie. Hellllllllllp!!
I read the post here of someone looking for a replacement burner for their humax, with the bad news.
Does anyone know if I can replace my internal burner. I'm hoping I don't have to return it to pioneer..
Thanks for any help!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #53
bicker
Gruff

My burner is fine, but I was wondering this myself this past weekend. Does anyone know anyone reliable who fixes Pioneer TiVo burners?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #54
Ick_the_TivoDude

Accolades and a Question

I have a Pioneer DVR-810H and I love it. It is extremely easy to record my favorite shows and take them with me when I travel. One thing I've notice though is that I don't seem to be able to create DVD's of programs that I recorded on my other TIVO. Transferring and watching the programs works fine but I'm not able to include them on a DVD that I want to burn. Is that a designed in issue or am i just doing something wrong?

Thanks for any enlightenment I may get from this forum.

Ick_
Ick_the_TivoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #55
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Ick_the_TivoDude,

Regarding transfering shows from another TiVo to burn on the Pioneer. That will not work. It is described in the manual that you can only burn shows that were recorded by the TiVo with the DVD writer. You cannot burn shows that were transfered from another TiVo.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #56
roy2000

I just joined this group. I was searching for info on my pioneer DVR-810H-S and found you. I've had it for quite a while 2-3 years so it is out of warranty.
In the last 4 months it has stopped playing some of the backup copied dvds. When that happens it locks it up and I have to unplug it to get the DVD out. I use name brand dvd-r.
I have use the lazar disc to clean it - is there anything else I can do?
thanx
roy
roy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #57
Ick_the_TivoDude

robomeister,

Thanks for the clarification.

Hmmmm......read the user manual, now that's a novel concept.

Seriously, I appreciate your reply and thanks for not busting my chops for not seeing it in the manual. Some forums can really be harsh about that.

Ick_
Ick_the_TivoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #58
toddc

I am a proud owner of an 810... no problems
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #59
J2w218

Just aquired a never used demo 810-h

I love it even though, recently, it is hanging everyday. I get the green screen but, mixed with whatever it was displaying at the time it hung. Don't know yet if it is 7.3.1 or the HD. I do plan on upgrading the HD but, I don't want to do it yet if it is still going to hang. I hate having to power it off, sometimes it hangs the display while recording. Red LED on and the drive sounds busy but, the unit is hung. I thought maybe it was the component inputs so I tried the SVid, same result.

I love the fact that it has 480p output and an optical audio out as well. Need to save up some $$$ for a bigger disk and scour the forums for any solutions.

Great TiVo though!
J2w218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #60
runkefer
Early Adopter 7/99

Trouble playing movie DVDs in Pioneer 810-H

I have one Pioneer 810-H (activated Feb 2004) and also an original model Phillips Series 1 (activated July 1999).

Recently I have not been able to view rented DVDs in the Pioneer unit. DVDs that I have recorded on the unit seem to work fine. Recording seems to work fine.

Symptoms:
1. Periodic horizontal lines across the screen
3. Darkening of the picture after the horizontal lines

Is there some way to clean it or adjust it to get rid of this problem?

Last edited by runkefer : 10-21-2006 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add notification
runkefer is offline   Reply With Quote