Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2006, 01:19 AM   #361
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpav
thanks for the info, so how you finally fix your problem? do you pay again for their buggy software?

if i am not using their software are there any easy way to do my own?

As i am confuse there are so many different version, like Hinsdale, weaknees.... and from different post, some said some of the iso not support large drive. Some need to dl another disc to set up swap file.

I just hope there is a clean easy way to set up my box.
You can ignore that fellow; he couldn't be more wrong and has completely misrepresented the situation. Our software is not buggy, and the thread referenced just a few posts ago discusses the migration of the DirecTV software from 3.1.0 to 3.5.0 and how to use free tools here to deal with that issue, even if you've used InstantCake for your upgrade. If you've purchased an earlier version of InstantCake there is no need to purchase anything further and no knowledge of MFStools is required regardless of the path chosen (unless you want to do your upgrade over again completely from scratch). Just follow the recommendations made in the Series1 DirecTiVo Software Update (3.5.0) Migration Thread and you'd be good to go.

In your particular case, you may not want to go the DIY route; consider a kit, or consider a DIY software product, or consider a completely DIY route that involves purchasing nothing and using all of the free resources at your disposal. BUT, whichever method you choose to use, please do your research and understand the implications of using that particular method before you implement it.

As for this thread, its about our free LBA48 CD; please see the first post as it will give you a good overview of what this CD is used for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #362
ItzNeil

I have a 140060. The version on my InstantCake CD is 4.xx, but my TiVo is updating itself to > 7.2, which I think should support >137GB. I installed a pair of 200GB drives, but did not use the LBA48 CD, and as expected, IC showed about 360 hours, and my TiVO shows the same, even after it installed the 7.2 software.
My question is does 7.2 support >137 on ALL TiVo boxes?
Seems I have 3 options. Any suggestions which would be best are welcome.
- Start over w/ 2X120 and call it good, since not all 7.2 loads support large drives.
- Start over w/ 2X200 and the LBA48 CD, and hope this will work (can't really tell from the instructions, as the 140060 model is ONLY mentioned with the 4.xx software)
- Start with a single 120 drive, and *after* the 7.2 update, bless a 200 to install, hoping 7.2 DOES mean large drive support on my box.
ItzNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #363
azitnay

All 7.x (and for that matter, 5.x and up) software supports LBA48.

You should be able to boot with an LBA48-compatible CD and simply mfsadd -x to expand to fill both drives.

In lieu of that, you can certainly start over with an LBA48 CD and a 7.2 image.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #364
ItzNeil

Thanks Drew.

Just to rephrase this in a way that I clearly understand...

You said> LBA48-compatible CD and simply mfsadd -x to expand to fill both drives.
I think you mean> Now that I have updated to 7.2, I should be able to expand to the full 200GB size.
This would be ideal, since it would save all teh settings and shows I've recorded again, and not irritate TiVo by rerunnig the update, correct?

You said> start over with an LBA48 CD and a 7.2 image.
I think you mean> You'll have to find 7.2 image somewhere, since the IC CD only contains 4.xx.
Is there some way to make my current image the backup on the CD?
Will teh LBA48 Cd (From PTVUpgrade) NOT work with the 4.xx image to do what I'm trying to do? That would suggest using teh 120GB drive and adding a second drive after would be best...

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #365
ItzNeil

OK, so I typed this command

mfsadd -x dev/hdc dev/hdd

after booting from the lba48 CD from PTVUpgrade. The response back was Current estimated size is :312 Hours
Nothing to add!

Not sure what to make of that... Am I really back to whacking these drives and starting over?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #366
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzNeil
OK, so I typed this command

mfsadd -x dev/hdc dev/hdd

after booting from the lba48 CD from PTVUpgrade. The response back was Current estimated size is :312 Hours
Nothing to add!

Not sure what to make of that... Am I really back to whacking these drives and starting over?
You need to manually update your partition tables to reflect the actual disk sizes. After that, you'll be able to expand with mfsadd. See this.

The A drive probably has a full partition table now and can't be expanded again, so only the B drive will expand. If you want the full space of both drives. you probably want to start over with a fresh image.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #367
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

There is a much easier way to do this and it is discussed more in the Official InstantCake Support thread over the DVR playground and specific steps are documented in part 1 of this thread.

Basically, you want to boot with the LBA48 CD and use the PTVbake-special script, in combination with your 4.01 InstantCake CD. What that will do is create the partitions in LBA48-mode, and although the resulting 4.01 installation will not be LBA48 aware, just ensure your unit updates itself to 7.2 prior to it actually filling up with more than 137GB of information on the drive. Once 7.2 is installed, your TiVo operating system will see the full capacity of the drive.

Granted, this does mean you need to whack your drive and lose what is currently on there, but the process is simple and straightforward.

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 06-27-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #368
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Basically, you want to boot with the LBA48 CD and use the PTVbake-special script, in combination with your 4.01 InstantCake CD. What that will do is create the partitions in LBA48-mode, and although the resulting 4.01 installation will not be LBA48 aware, just ensure your unit updates itself to 7.2 prior to it actually filling up with more than 137GB of information on the drive. Once 7.2 is installed, your TiVo operating system will see the full capacity of the drive.
Ack! That sounds really dangerous. It's quite possible to see lba28 wrap around even if mfs isn't full of shows yet. The upgrade to 7.2/3 itself may end up writing to blocks above the lba28 mark (137GB).

The safe way to do this is to first lay the 4.x image down without expansion (so the space above the lba28 mark is still unpartitioned), then update to 7.x, then expand. This ensures that a non-lba48 kernel never uses space above the lba28 mark.

Even better, start with a 7.x image.

Last edited by JamieP : 06-27-2006 at 11:38 AM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #369
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
Ack! That sounds really dangerous. It's quite possible to see lba28 wrap around even if mfs isn't full of shows yet. The upgrade to 7.2/3 itself may end up writing to blocks above the lba28 mark (137GB).

The safe way to do this is to first lay the 4.x image down without expansion (so the space above the lba28 mark is still unpartitioned), then update to 7.x, then expand. This ensures that a non-lba48 kernel never uses space above the lba28 mark.

Even better, start with a 7.x image.
I know... but we've tested it internally and it works fine. We actually shipped "large drive kits" with 4.01 on them about 3 months prior to 7.1 being released and had zero transition issues, when tivo updated to 7.1...

I agree, though - best way is to start with a 7.X image, or do as you say by not expanding, then expanding...

Old 07-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #370
BubbaDude

I downloaded and applied the PTVupgrade for large disks day before yesterday and had exactly the same problems as john_o:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_o
While I'm willing to accept that 3.1.0+ is stable for some, has anyone with 3.1.0+ seen the following?

1) instant reboot when entering the "To Do List"
2) video image in background of "Now Playing List" (rather than standard TiVo background) after accepting "Delete this recording" of a show just watched
3) reboots while watching certain shows recorded prior to the 3.5 update
I copied the entire contents of a single-disk Philips DSR6000 DirecTivo Series 1 to a new 300 GB Maxtor drive, using:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdd | mfsrestore -s 300 -r 4 -zxpi - /dev/hdc
copykern (3.10+ and /dev/hdc)

There were no errors on the backup/restore or copykern (both commands were successful). Mfsrestore reported 300 hrs more or less.

I didn't take a backup of the kernel since I already had one on the original disk, which I'm no longer using, and the system I ran these commands on doesn't have any FAT partitions, only NTFS and Ext3's.

As this box is already dual boot Linux/Win XP, I also tried running the mfstools from my Linux setup (FC5) and they didn't work, mfsinfo said the volumes were corrupt, but that's an aside.

I booted from CD to run the upgrade.

After doing the LBA48 upgrade, everything appeared to work at first - TiVo reported 284 hrs of record time, and I could play all my saved shows no problem. But as soon as I'd recored some new shows, the problems started:

1. Existing recordings were lost.
2. Now Playing background was lost
3. Going to To Do list caused a reset.
4. MPEG errors playing new shows (black bars, intermittent.)

So it appears that the disk partitioning/upgrade worked and the patch failed, as the "patched" kernel behaves like it's not LBA48-aware.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the "experimental" patch not right?
BubbaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #371
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDude

Am I doing something wrong, or is the "experimental" patch not right?
We've not had any problems with the updated kernel (3.1.0+); chances are that it either was not installed correctly or you have a hardware problem (bad drive, bad cable, etc); We've done plenty of testing, and there are enough kits / InstantCake-created drives out there now running the recompiled kernel - no problems...

Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #372
BubbaDude

We can rule out any hardware problems, as the hardware works fine as long as the patch isn't installed, and two people have the identical set of problems.

And if the patch is perfect, that leaves us with only one explanation: some sort of user error in the upgrade process. So let's explore that.

1. Are my parameters bad?

2. Specially, is -s 300 too large?

3. Is it necessary to backup the kernel before patching it?

4. Is it necessary to run killinitrd? I didn't do that.

I'm just trying to figure out how to make this upgrade work, whatever it takes.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #373
BubbaDude

Man, it sure got quiet here all of a sudden.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #374
Beantownbeanie

Hi, SOrry if this is the wrong place. I was not sure where to post.
I got the ethernet adapter and I can see my tivo from my computer when I open a browser and type in the IP Address.

However, I can't record or do anything until it makes its first call. I thought once I connected the adapter and got it online I was all set. Should I plug the phone line in and let it call? Please advise.

Also does this replace my calls?
Thanks.
Ken wooo hoooooooooooo my 100th post!

Last edited by Beantownbeanie : 07-11-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Beantownbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #375
enigma_K

I just got a copy of Instant Cake. During the restore process I keep getting:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000001
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0

and a whole buch of other stuff.

This has happened with two drives and I am very sure at least one of them is in good shape. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
enigma_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #376
TerryK

I have a Sony SVR 2000 that a couple months ago developed a skip where the picture would freeze and sound would go out for about 5 seconds. Frequency varied but averaged at least once a 1/2 hour program. I contacted PTV and they said it was probably the HD (sounds reasonable). I got the replacement, installed it, and the TiVo continues to do exactly the same thing. I emailed PTV several days ago and no reply. I'm not looking to get a refund or anything, I just want to get to the bottom of what's wrong with my poor TiVo. I have a lifetime subscription and I don't want to give it up.

Thanks!
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #377
Jgriffi104

mfsrestore

I just upgraded my HR-10-250 with two Maxtor 250 gig drives and the Weakknees bracket and Interactive Tivo instructions and the free lb48 cd iso download. It took me two weeks playing with the MFSbackup, MFSADD and Mfsrestore trying to get the tivo to recognize the two drive even though the the computer said the 2 drives add 301 hours for a total of 501. The tivo would only show 30 hd and 200 sd. Then last Tuesday I got additional information on the 500 mb swap file and tpip version 1.2. I used the my orginal mfsbackup and redid the restore with the following commamd line

mfsrestore -r 4 -s 500 -zxpi /mnt/hdtivo.bak1 /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

This took 6 and a half hours in the cleaning up restore mode. I unmounted the drives then rebooted the computer and used the command tpip -1 -s /dev/hdc

unmounted the drives and put them into the tivo. Now system ifrormation showed
63 hd and 426 sd hours.

Everything went well but all the saved recordings went to delete now when you clicked on them. Then said the recorder could not record because there was no video and I may have tried to record a channel I wasn't authorized to receive.

I still have the original 250 gig drive. Is there any way to restore it again and get the recordings this time and be able to watch them? According to the instruction the recording should have been transfered and been usable.

John Griffin
Jgriffi104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #378
kpauley

I'm upgrading my T60 right now from it's original 40GB drive to a 200GB Maxtor. Using the Instant Cake Software. It is actually transferring right now. I was reading a little closer though and I'm concerned about one thing.

I checked my Tivo before I took it apart, showed I'm on version 3.5.01.1.011. I'm I now going to have a problem? I see some comments about the 3.5 version and the copykern command.

Do I need to run the copykern command with this version? Or will this 3.5 version not work for me with the large disk?

Ken
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #379
kpauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
updated 5/12/06

Note: 4/26/06 DirecTV, is releasing version 3.5 of the TiVo software; this kernel is NOT lba48-aware. CopyKern will NOT install a compatible version of the kernel for 3.5.

Note: 5/12/06 New Release of the LBA48 CD (ver 4.04) includes a revised copykern and a recompiled kernel (labeled 3.10+) in the s1_kernels directory. We have done preliminary testing with this kernel in conjunction with version 3.5 of the Series1 DirecTV TiVo release and early tests are encouraging. If you have built LBA48 drives which are spuriously rebooting, or contain content that is not accessible through the "Now Playing" list, we encourage you to use copykern to transplant this newly updated kernel. Also note that you will need to use killinitrd to zap the new initrd (or use nic_config in the silicondust network driver release to achieve the same result).

I re-read the beginning of the thread, saw the update (above) from 5/12. I just downloaded the tool so I'm thinking I'm using this version (will verify when the copy is done). So I'll use the copykern command to get this latest recompiled kernel and hope it works with my 3.5 version....
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:34 AM   #380
Sbmocp

Exclamation A sneaking suspicion...

I have the growing feeling that there really IS some problem with this "patched" version of the earlier kernel. I've been holding off performing an upgrade/redo of my S1 DTiVo box just because I keep reading horror stories from people who have problems with this patched upgrade. PTV says they've tested many boxes and haven't had problems, yet why are people posting with wierd quirks when they're trying to upgrade their boxen?

I think PTV should bite the bullet, do the work, and incorporate the latest kernel. That would, most likely, solve these odd problems and make everybody happy.
Sbmocp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #381
Tim N.

Upgrade failed

I licensed the software for Sony SVR2000 and tried to build a 200GB Maxtor drive. This would be the second upgrade/replacement disk. I only have a single drive.

When I ran the upgrade software it reported everything worked fine. When I replaced the new drive into the TIVO I olny get the black "TIVO is starting up" image and it never goes any further.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #382
Tim N.

Lazy Member

Forget the above post. I went to the right support place and probably found my answers.

Next time, I'll look first and post second...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #383
Tim N.

Actually, I need help

I cannot get much of anything to behave the way the instructions tell me to expect...

I try three different schemes to get PTV IC and PTVlba48 to work and nothing gets past the TIVO startup screen. PTV fails to answer any emails for support.

I go back to 2.0 tools and start over. I'll live with 137GB of space out of 200GB on the drive.

I perform mfsbackup to a FAT32 partitiion and it says "okay"
I put the new disk in and msfrestore -s 127 -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb results in "/mnt/dos/tivo.bak: No such file or directory"

Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #384
azitnay

Is /mnt/dos/tivo.bak definitely the correct location of the backup image you created in the mfsbackup step?

What happens when you type:

ls -la /mnt/dos

?

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #385
Tim N.

I'm linux illiterate. I don't know what commands to use for simple information gathering.

I figured out that the restore didn't work because I didn't execute the two commands earlier for mkdir amd mount. When I did these, the restore worked and the disk booted up in the Sony TIVO.

Then I tried to restore all of my old movie files and the restore operation failed on error 3.

I'm going back to resore with expand and will live with no old recordings.

Thank you for trying to help me.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #386
NardVa

Does the free PTVupgrade LBA48 4.04 cd include a virgin 3.1.5 keneral?

I know the PTVupgrade cd with enhancements includs the killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel, but I was reading where you can do the killhdinitrd process yourself on a virgin 3.1.5 kernel.
NardVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #387
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardVa
Does the free PTVupgrade LBA48 4.04 cd include a virgin 3.1.5 keneral?

I know the PTVupgrade cd with enhancements includs the killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel, but I was reading where you can do the killhdinitrd process yourself on a virgin 3.1.5 kernel.
Only Series1 kernels on the free CD...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #388
dsnook

wanted: detailed instructions to upgrade kernel

Hi Folks,

Like most everyone else on this forum still owning a series 1 DirecTiVo unit , I've been reviewing all these threads and gleaning them for the necessary info to remedy my ailing TiVo unit. In spite of my efforts, I still cannot find a set of detailed instructions to upgrade the kernel.

I have deduced that I need to use 'copykern' and 'killinitrd' (or is it killhdinitrd?), but I have found little in the way of how to use them. Could some kind soul on this thread please offer this data without telling me to look at some other obscure thread? I don't have the time to pick this out one post at a time; that's why I'm requesting it from you experts here on this forum.

Here is my situation:

I own a Sony SAT-T60 series 1 unit that had the HD upgraded recently (last Jan) using InstantCake app. I replaced the original 40 GB HD with a 160 GB HD following their instructions and was working fine until a few months ago when my Tivo unit froze on me. All I did was press the Tivo button on the remote and the Tivo menu overlaid my live TV display and would not go away regardless what buttons were pressed on either the remote or the unit . I was only able to reset the unit by cycling the power.

I have over 40 hrs of recorded content that I dearly wish to recover. Will upgrading the kernel with 3.1.0+ allow me to retrieve this content afterwards or will it disappear?

When I invoke the 'copykern' command to upgrade the kernel, do I have to use 'killhdinitrd' too? Is this only necessary for units that have additional networking functions? This unit has only had the HD upgraded and no other networking features were added. Do I still have to use 'killhdinitrd' anyways? Could someone please clarify this?

Thanks for the help.

-Darren
dsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #389
kpfleming

Arrow Only successful using Weaknees CD...

In November of last year I bought two Maxtor 300G drives and InstantCake to use to upgrade my HR10-250 (which was brand new at the time). I tried multiple computers, multiple IDE cables, etc., but was never successful.

A few weeks ago, I tried again, using yet another computer I had built since then. Wonder of wonders, this time InstantCake actually produced a usable Tivo drive, but the Tivo did not see the additional space on the second drive (even though the 'mfsadd' output during the InstantCake run did show it being added).

I then started trying to manually use mfsadd to add the space myself, using the LBA48 boot CD I downloaded at the same time as InstantCake (as well as the recently updated 4.04 LBA48 boot CD). Each attempt failed, and trying to do is resulted in a series of 'drive busy' and 'drive write error' messages in the kernel message log. However, the drives are fine; they have been thoroughly tested by the Maxtor tools, and it doesn't matter which drive I make the A drive... the errors are always reported on the same sectors.

Since I still had my original drive from the HR10-250, I decided to try the Weakness upgrade process instead (I was originally trying to avoid touching that drive, even just to read from it). I downloaded their CD yesterday, plugged all three drives into my computer, booted off the CD an ran the mfsbackup/mfsrestore piped process. Less than an hour later, I had a fully functional HR10-250 with 600GB of working space (77 hours HD, 515 hours SD). There were no kernel messages when the mfsrestore process ran; everything was clean.

So, as best I can tell, the Linux kernel on the Weaknees CD is significantly better than the one on the PTVUpgrade LBA48 CD (and apparently on their other CDs as well, since my InstantCake CD had the same problem).

Just thought I'd report this in case others are interested... I'm happy now that my Tivo is upgraded and working, and I'll write off the $20 InstantCake purchase as a learning experience
kpfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #390
jelboston

Hi- newbie question here. I am trying to upgrade my TiVo 540040 with a Seagate 300GB drive. I downloaded the newest version of PTVupgrade LBA48 Boot Disk (version 4.04) and loaded it onto my computer. It is an old AMD K6 with 256MB ram running Windows 95- I borrowed it from the trash heap at our office.

I have gone over the instructions on the PTVUpdate site and Weaknees numerous time. I have been planning on doing this for 2 months- today I took the plunge.

I took apart my TiVo and put the drives in place. I have my c: drive recognized in the hda position, the Seagate is recognized in the hdb position and the CD Rom is recognized in the hdd position. In lieu of it saying hdc it says

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

in another place it says

spurious 8259A interrupy: IRQ7.

I have moved the jumpers around a couple times to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

A newbie.
jelboston is offline   Reply With Quote