TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #331
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
No, actually it's considerably harder, which I can attest to, since it took me 3 evenings of working and asking questions when I got stuck (when I replaced a bad HD in my series 1 TiVo.) When I say harder, I don't really mean it's a lot of work - I just simply didn't find the Hinsdale instructions all that straightforward. Just replacing an HD in a PC is childsplay (imo) in comparison. Also, btw, opening the case of a TiVo is a bit more work than opening a computer case.

BTW, throwing in a second HD into a series 2 always causes power and cooling issues, but somebody else in this thread already suggested replacing, instead of adding to, the HD. That seems simpler, and is what I plan on doing.
I didn't find it very difficult when I did it previously. Hopefully having done it before, it will be easier for you the second time.

As for replacing the HD in your wife's TiVo, you do realize that by doing so, she'll first have to copy all her shows off of it, or just lose them, right? If she's willing to lose them or copy them all off to some other medium, then your problem is solved and you don't need to add a HD.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #332
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
As for replacing the HD in your wife's TiVo, you do realize that by doing so, she'll first have to copy all her shows off of it, or just lose them, right? If she's willing to lose them or copy them all off to some other medium, then your problem is solved and you don't need to add a HD.
Yes, I knew that, and no, she doesn't want to lose her stuff. I planned on copying her shows off the old drive onto the new drive I buy. Admittedly I've never done that before (as the one other time I replaced an HD it was to my TiVo, and I didn't mind losing my shows and settings.)

I'm told it's possible to preserve the old shows by moving them to the new drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 04:15 PM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #333
baw

Haha, my wife is the same way. She has shows dated from November last year. "Don't delete that! I'm going to watch it!"
baw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #334
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw
Haha, my wife is the same way. She has shows dated from November last year. "Don't delete that! I'm going to watch it!"
HA! So I'm not the only one in this boat.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #335
TivoFan

Seriously, are we still posting in a three year old thread?
TivoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #336
maki

Do your wives know you're talking about them??
Old 08-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #337
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan
Seriously, are we still posting in a three year old thread?
Nope. It's your imagination.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #338
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Nope. It's your imagination.

the three old thread was not picked up on so timckelley started a new one.

MFStools 2.0 will allow you to easily copy the shows and settings to the new hard drive with no hassle if it is going back in the same DVR. With a little more research you can also copy shows and settings to a different DVR as long as it is the same model
Old 08-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #339
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
To be honest, I'm all in favor of paying the $100 to upgrade her to over 300 hours. The roadblock is her hesitance to divert me from my other housework to do this. But like I said, if my TiVo stays this low or gets lower, I'm going to press the issue and make it a higher priority to-do item.
Her recording backlog is causing the problem.

She shouldn't get to decide whether you spend your time solving the problem. Either she okays the time, or she deletes her shows from your TiVo. Or she doesn't complain when you go out and buy a third TiVo and hide the remote from her.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #340
Melwani97

VHS your wife's shows too???

Sorry to state the obvious, but that's all I got!
Melwani97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #341
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwani97
VHS your wife's shows too???

Sorry to state the obvious, but that's all I got!
Yes, I could do that to get them off, but

a) There so many shows it'll take some work to do this. There is no 'batch save to VCR command' - such a command would be quite useful. I don't particularly enjoy the work, and also my wife is picky about how to label the tapes, so I prefer to let her take care of it. BTW, we do have a DVD burner, but it's hooked up to her TiVo, not mine. There is a VCR on my TiVo though.

b) There are some shows she really is preferring to watch on my TiVo and not tape off at all. I could be strict and tell her it's going to tape by this week if she doesn't watch it, but she gets touchy sometimes, so I haven't pressed it yet. I have a feeling though that part of her touchiness is being caused because inside she feels guilty for invading my TiVo.

Once I upgrade her though, I still have to deal with all the stuff of hers that currently sits on my NP. At least (I assume) no new stuff will show up. I'm sure she'll eventually get if off my TiVo herself though once she's upgraded. I mean she's doing that now - the problem is that new stuff of hers shows up on my TiVo about as fast as she gets old stuff off. Apparently while I'm at work, she is helping herself to my remote and scheduling new stuff.

Once she's upgraded, I think we need to revisit the house/ground rules. She can possibly justify her invasion because I have a bigger TiVo than she does, even though she likes to record a lot more stuff than I do. But once she's upgraded, she'll have 2 to 3 times more space than I, and so she really won't have a lot of justification for invading my TiVo. I think I need to get her to sign off on the agreement to stay off my TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #342
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Apparently while I'm at work, she is helping herself to my remote and scheduling new stuff.
OK right there all bets are off. It is time for some tough talk. You are posting about how you don't want to upset her by not doing the other house chores before upgrading a TiVo or deleting her shows or putting Kid Zone on your TiVo to keep her from adding or whatever.
Then she totally ignores your feelings and just does as she pleases.
That is not a 50 50 relationship and you either need to make it 50 50 by doing what you know is right or just admit to the 10 90 relationship and just give her both TiVos and doing whatever she tells you to do next.

Otherwise why drag out yet another thread going on about this nonsense.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #343
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm all in favor of paying the $100 to upgrade her to over 300 hours. The roadblock is her hesitance to divert me from my other housework to do this. But like I said, if my TiVo stays this low or gets lower, I'm going to press the issue and make it a higher priority to-do item.
Whu-PSSHT!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

It doesn't take long to do the upgrade - are you THAT swamped with housework? Why do you even watch TV if you can't get away from your housework long enough to enjoy a show?

My point is, that hour or two or seventeen that you spend a week watching recorded shows, can be spent upgrading the Tivo.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #344
timckelley
TCFer

Also, remember, copying her shows to the new drive could be an overnight operation, so I'll have to negotiate a time when her To Do List has a big enough gap in it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #345
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
Also, remember, copying her shows to the new drive could be an overnight operation, so I'll have to negotiate a time when her To Do List has a big enough gap in it.
...or, alternatively, just manually schedule her shows for that evening on her other* TiVo. Insane though your description of her sounds, I can't imagine she'd be unwilling to watch one night of material on her backup machine.

* You know, the larger one that you consider yours here but not at home.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #346
Stanley Rohner

Quote:
Holy cow !! She sure has got you whipped !

What would happen to you if one of her shows didn't get recorded because the TiVo was being upgraded ?
Stanley Rohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #347
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Once I upgrade her though, I still have to deal with all the stuff of hers that currently sits on my NP. At least (I assume) no new stuff will show up. I'm sure she'll eventually get if off my TiVo herself though once she's upgraded. I mean she's doing that now - the problem is that new stuff of hers shows up on my TiVo about as fast as she gets old stuff off. Apparently while I'm at work, she is helping herself to my remote and scheduling new stuff.
You need to take your remote with you when you go to work.

Honestly, is she recording so much stuff that you can't take 4-6 hours to do the upgrade?

Of course, you're still only delaying the inevitable.
Sooner or later, she will fill up her TiVo again and then she'll be recording on yours, "just for a little while".

Have you reminded her of the simple equation of x hours of material recorded = x hours to watch?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #348
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
Have you reminded her of the simple equation of x hours of material recorded = x hours to watch?
You must be watching mostly noncommercial stuff.

for me, X hours of recorded material ~= .75X hours to watch..

(less if I FF with captions on, like a lot of the repeated stuff in the Last Comic Standing Finale... less if I watch on my non-Tivo recorder, where I can watch at I think 1.5x with sound. for things like Big Brother, I watch at 1FF the whole time.. For America's Got Talent, I 1FF through everything BUT the actual performances, which I watch at regular speed.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #349
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
You must be watching mostly noncommercial stuff.

for me, X hours of recorded material ~= .75X hours to watch..
I'm aware of that however, I don't think that the OP should overly complicate the argument.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #350
timckelley
TCFer

I've had these arguments before, but I don't think they've sunk in. She still likes to bite off more than she can chew. She tends to not think as logically as I do. Oh well, hopefully the upgrade will solve things.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #351
TivoZorro

You've got to decide what kind of life you want to live. Do you want to be controled by a total control freak or do you want to live in peace.

My brother lives with a control freak. She controls what tv shows he watches, what he eats and what sports he plays among other things. He has been married ten years and is happy. Personally I never would have married her and I told him that when he asked me for advice.

Your wife has total disregard for you. if I were you I would be getting a divorce. That's just my opinion. You need a break from her. Rent an apartment and take your Tivo with you. And don't give her a key to the place. Maybe after a few days of living without you she'll learn to accept your boundaries but i doubt it. Sometimes you have to lookk at for yourself. Or as others have suggested take your Tivo Remote to work.

You've issued plenty of threats and demands and she doesn't take any of them seriously because she knows you won't go through with any of them. All she has to do is pull her sensitive routine and she's got you right back where she wants you.

I issued plenty of threats to my ex-spouse. I kept telling him that I was going to leave him if he didn't straighten up but he didn't take me seriously until my dad called him into his office and gave him the bad news. My brother stayed with me at my apartment and I moved all of his things out to the garage where he could pick them up. My dad made it clear that I didn't want to see or talk to him ever again. He tried calling me a couple of times on the phone but I made it clear that I didn't want to talk to him and hung up.

I realize that you have a child and that makes things more difficult. I guess it comes down to how much do you love her and how much are you willing to put up with. But you do have options.
Laptop Running Tivo Desktop 2.3 Plus
1 30 GB iPod with Video
Sony SVR 2000 Tivo
TivoZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #352
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
She tends to not think as logically as I do.
and it is working for her and not for you.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #353
Stanley Rohner

Quote:
Cough{wussy}Cough
Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #354
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Rohner
Cough{wussy}Cough
True, I'm stronger than her, and I could put my foot down, but the reality of the situation is that being macho and dominant creates more problems than it solves. She can get emotional and start yelling and crying, and generally make life difficult (including threatening divorce, etc.) This is an atmosphere I really don't want to live with. She already yells enough and has enough anger already, I don't need the stress of more yelling and arguing, and my son certainly doesn't need to witness that. (Not to mention she's being medically treated for depression by her psychologist, and having an autistic son that needs almost constant supervision, and protection from dangers - like being run over by cars, among other things - even now at his current age of almost 7 - doesn't make things easier.)

So this is why I don't always put my foot down. But I haven't been lying down totally like a wussy either. I've had quite a few conversions with her, and she knows my feelings on this. Just today, I asked her if, after the upgrade to over 300 hours, will she then agree to stay off my TiVo. At first she said "no", because her TiVo is hooked to a DVD burner, but mine is hooked to a VHS machine, and she wants the option to archive her shows in either format. This is easily solved with an A/B switch that I just bought at Walmart, so I rephrased the question: "If I give your TiVo the option of saving to DVD or VHS, and if you have over 300 hours of space, do you foresee needing to put stuff on my TiVo?". At this point, she accused me of being selfish with my TiVo. I immediately told her it wasn't selfishness. I told her that we have the means of setting ourselves up with TiVos/accessories beefy enough to satisfy both our needs, and I see no reason why we shouldn't avail ourselves of this ability to set ourselves up. She needs a fair amount of space, and she needs to be hooked up to a DVD burner and a VCR. I want/need a fair amount of space so that I'll have a nice selection of Suggestions to choose from. Also, when she sets stuff up on my TiVo, if I'm not mistaken, it defaults to a one-thumbs up for all her stuff, which could be goofing up my thumbs settings.

So, we each have our needs, and I see a way to meet those needs, and I'd like to set things up like that, and I don't consider that to be selfishness. When I put it like that, she agreed with me and said she'll stay off my TiVo.

Anyway, I intend to order off for the new hard drive by this afternoon, and will install it sometime later after it gets shipped to me.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 08-18-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #355
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Also, when she sets stuff up on my TiVo, if I'm not mistaken, it defaults to a one-thumbs up for all her stuff, which could be goofing up my thumbs settings.
you are correct any season pass will automatically add one thumb up when it is setup. You can go to any show after it is set and one thumb down to make it neutral again.
Quote:
So, we each have our needs, and I see a way to meet those needs, and I'd like to set things up like that, and I don't consider that to be selfishness. When I put it like that, she agreed with me and said she'll stay off my TiVo.

Anyway, I intend to order off for the new hard drive by this afternoon, and will install it sometime later after it gets shipped to me.
Good - I recall the earlier thread and the difficulties you face but just wanted to see you make things work for yourself. No one else in your family will, unfortunately. Hope the upgrade goes smoothly. the second one usually does.

PS - compare price against this page from outpost.com to get a good deal - the larger hard drive you put in now - the easier fro both of you later.
http://shop1.outpost.com/search?quer...&order_by=p04d

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 08-18-2006 at 02:26 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #356
Stanley Rohner

She can get emotional and start yelling and crying, and generally make life difficult (including threatening divorce, etc.)

She already yells enough and has enough anger already, I don't need the stress of more yelling and arguing.

Did you witness any of this behavior before you got married ?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #357
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Rohner
She can get emotional and start yelling and crying, and generally make life difficult (including threatening divorce, etc.)

She already yells enough and has enough anger already, I don't need the stress of more yelling and arguing.

Did you witness any of this behavior before you got married ?
To tell the truth - no. Then again, she didn't develop her clinical depression until after marriage.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #358
billb914

forget the new drive - you need a second box - one for her stuff, one for yours.
billb914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #359
TivoZorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb914
forget the new drive - you need a second box - one for her stuff, one for yours.
I think she already has her own box, which is full and that is why she is taking over his Tivo. I'm afraid that she'll just fill up the 300 hours on her upgraded box and then she will be back to scheduling things on his. It's a vicious cycle that I don't see how it can be broken.

I have a 700 hour Tivo, two 80 hour Tivos and one 30 hour Tivo. And I know that it is my responsibility to take care of my tv shows. If I get behind and my Tivos get full I either have to dump them to my PC or to tape. I have to have shows ready on tape for when I go pet sitting. I can't imagine sharing my Tivos with anybody else. Of course part of the deal of living with my parents is that I do record shows for my mom or dad (like Prison Break or Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives) which I am recording for myself anyway. I just dump them to tape for them. They aren't interested in using the Tivos per say which is a good thing.
Laptop Running Tivo Desktop 2.3 Plus
1 30 GB iPod with Video
Sony SVR 2000 Tivo
TivoZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #360
TivoFan

Your wife is an addict. Cut her off completely. It's for the best.
TivoFan is offline   Reply With Quote