TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #301
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons
Thanks for that link. I still haven't had time to work on my TiVo, but the first thing I plan to do is to open it up and run some sort of fitness utility (if I can find one) to the drive(s) to see which are good and which are bad. After that's done, I'll revisit your link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #302
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
up when it went bad anyway.

I'm not sure about that course of action. By having two physically separate TiVos, it enforces separation of space between my wife an me. In effect, I "own" my space, and she owns her space. With one dual tuner TiVo, she could conceivably take over the whole TiVO.
* grin * I actually meant a dual tuner for your own use so conflicts are no longer an issue for you. It sounds like your wife should stick with a single tuner TiVo

and we are not yet 100% sure that CC dual tuner will give you two tuners off of analog. - that is my hope as well adn hopefully CES anouncements will tell us more on those kind of details
Old 01-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #303
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
* grin * I actually meant a dual tuner for your own use so conflicts are no longer an issue for you. It sounds like your wife should stick with a single tuner TiVo

and we are not yet 100% sure that CC dual tuner will give you two tuners off of analog. - that is my hope as well adn hopefully CES anouncements will tell us more on those kind of details
Yes, in the latter half of my post, I started to realize (as I was typing), that I personally could use a dual tuner.

It's not common for me to have conflicts, so the dual tuner would be sort of a luxary.

However, two of my season passes conflict on Wednesdays: SouthPark and Law and Order. However, SouthPark repeats their first run eps several times, so this can be handled.

Today is exceptional though. This evening is the Rose Bowl (my home team Longhorns have a shot at winning the national title for the first time since 1970), Law and Order (first run), and SouthPark (first run). I've scheduled SouthPark to catch the repeat later in the week, so that's fine. But I had to choose between Law and Order or the Rose Bowl, neither of which will be repeated anytime soon. I chose the Rose Bowl, because that's just too important to miss.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #304
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
I thought there were were people in the upgrade forum willing to give an HDR212 image for free. (That's my model.) I'm not sure of this, but I think I should check into it before paying the $20.
Yes indeed, I'm downloading my free image as we speak. I've already opened up the TiVo and see 2 80G Maxtor drives, and I've verified one is good and one is bad, so I'll keep the good one. (I ran Maxtor fitness utilities on them.) I'm thinking of adding my puny 20G drive that I have laying around as a second drive for a total of 100G (which admittedly will mean a reduction from the 160G I've been enjoying.) Yes, I know 20G is puny, but I'm not using it anyway, so I may as well put it to use, and save money by not buying another drive. I personally think 100G is enough for me.

I hope I can understand the Hinsdale instructions (they look formidable to me), but we'll see. After I get this TiVo working, I intend to subscribe it. For a long time now, I've been living with an unsubscribed TiVo, but this last month, borrowing my wife's TiVo, I'm remembering how nice it was to have the features of subscription, so I'm going to take advantage of the multi-user dicount and pay $6.99 to subsribe my series 1. Later if I want to upgrade my series 1, I won't have to worry about being locked into lifetime. (Of course this means I need to commit to a one-year contract, and so I'll be using my series 1 for at least a year. I feel like I can live with that.)

For the last week or two, my wife's TiVo has had about 6-10 shows in Suggestions, but now it only has one, and my wife yesterday warned me that she's pumped a recent surge of stuff into the To Do list, so I think I should watch my shows promptly after their appearances into Now Playing, to avoid deletion. Of course if she fills it all with KUID, I'm up a creek, so I have an incentive to get my series 1 fixed. (Yes, she still has most of her stuff as KUID, which I really don't agree with.)

I originally proclaimed myself liberated when I first bought the second TiVo, but at the moment I'm not. I look forward to my fixed TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-27-2006, 01:51 AM   #305
timckelley
TCFer

After about 3 days of trying to figure out the Hinsdale guide and getting many questions anwered by the helpful people over on the Upgrade Forum, it appears I've successfully fixed my series 1 TiVo. It's now a 115 hour TiVo, as I pulled out the bad hard drive, and replaced it with a smaller hard drive I had hanging around. (It was 80G + 80G, but now it's only 80G + 20G). True, it's a step down, but it was free because that hard drive was just sitting left over from my last computer whose motherboard had gone bad, and I really don't need more than 115 hours.

I also just bit the bullet and subscribed it at $6.95 per month. I'll give my wife the option of which TiVo she wants: series 1 @ 115 hours, or series 2 @ 80 hours. It's quite possible my wife will prefer the series 2, even with it's smaller space, because it has folders, and I think she really likes the folders feature. Of course, now that I've finally become educated in the ways of Hinsdale, I suppose I could even attempt to upgrade her TiVo, if she wants.

Question: if for some reason after using this TiVo for awhile the old problems resurface (but I doubt that will happen), I can cancel my new subscription in the first 30 days. If I then decide to buy a new TiVo (say, if I can't fix this one), could I restart a new monthly on that unit? If so, it seems like kind of a loophole. Somebody could repeatedly start a sub, and then cancel within 30 days, alternating like that, and effectively get perpetual free service.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #306
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If so, it seems like kind of a loophole. Somebody could repeatedly start a sub, and then cancel within 30 days, alternating like that, and effectively get perpetual free service.
I'm pretty sure that the TiVo mothership can recognize individual TiVos by serial #, so you'd pretty much need to keep buying a new TiVo every 30 days, which would cost *far* more than the $7/mo. of the subscription. Besides which, the perpetual subscribing and calling to cancel would be a tremendous amount of work----would anybody *really* want to spend 2-3 hours of their time every month to save $7?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #307
timckelley
TCFer

Uh oh... new update that caught me off guard. It didn't appear to me that this whole having my TiVo unsubscribed made it so unattractive to my wife, and maybe that's whay she's always stayed off of it for the two years I've had it. Now that it's subscribed, she asked me if she could move her General Hospital (soap opera) SP onto it temporarily. Her TiVo is mostly filled up, and she wants a chance to widdle it down, and apparently, to offload some stuff to tape. With the moving of TiVos around the house lately, the VCR hasn't been hooked up to her TiVo, so stuff has built up. It's hooked up now, though.

She wanted to put her SP on my TiVo as KUID. I asked her if she could refrain from sticking anything on my TiVo as KUID, because I really dislike to the use of this. She compromised and agreed to 'keep until 5 days'.

(the good news, also, is that of her SPs, General Hospital is one she does a pretty good job keeping up with. Her mother and her watch it on most weekdays.)

Now admittedly, I have more space than her (115 hours at basic, vs her 80 hours at basic), and she even considered trading TiVos with me once I subscribed mine, but since mine is series 1, we can't do HMO, which means she can't export her shows to my TiVo, so she decided to keep her TiVo. I told her I'd still consider upgrading the size of her TiVo, especially now that I've had hands on experience with the Hinsdale instructions. Well, it hasn't gotten to that point yet, because my TiVo still has scads of room on it.

BTW, I'm liking the suggestions feature of my TiVo, because right now a lot of my SPs aren't generating new eps due to the off season, and the suggestions feature is doing not too bad a job on my TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-27-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #308
timckelley
TCFer

Oh no! My wife has asked me to stop deleting my Scrubs eps after watching, because the next several eps have a guest star that she's interested in watching. I suggested that we then record on both TiVos, and that way each person can delete their copy when they're finished.

But her TiVo is about tapped out of space, and she pointed out that I have *lots* of space on my TiVo, and that I'd be pretty selfish not to cooperate with this request. I could tell she was about to get emotional, so I stopped arguing.

Well, to keep peace I'll do this, but I'll be monitoring my TiVo to make sure she doesn't creep too much onto it. In fact, in my mind, it's not enough to make sure I have several hours of free space. I like having lots of free space because lots of free space = lots of Suggestions = good chance some of the Suggestions are shows I like.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #309
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

setup to record anything - record CNN in 1 hour blocks

fill up your TiVo while you can and she will then think there is no space
Old 02-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #310
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
setup to record anything - record CNN in 1 hour blocks

fill up your TiVo while you can and she will then think there is no space
This is war! I must defend my TiVo against foreign invaders.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 02-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #311
JYoung
Series 3

You realize that you are on your way to buying a third TiVo.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #312
dnthewind

Thumbs up I never thought

I never thought that a thread on a message board could make me appreciate my wife so much... I just read the 1st 2 and last 2 pages of this thread and the transformation is inspiring/hysterical.

Tim, you're a good man.
dnthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #313
timckelley
TCFer

Oops. I mistakenly thought this thread got archived, and so I continued the story onto a new thread. The new thread is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=309930

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #314
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Tim, it's a real pity that the DVD-recorder units don't work better. Just think, you could buy her the 300-hour upgraded model from Weaknees and then she would have plenty of room, AND she wouldn't have to have the VCR hooked up in order to dump off her shows.

However, given what I'm hearing from my friend who bought one of the Humax recorders, I suggest you not buy one without reading the various threads here outlining the problems that some of these units have.

Jan
Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 AM   #315
JYoung
Series 3

Told you to stand firm

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 08-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #316
timckelley
TCFer

Oh NO! I am now down to LESS THAN ONE SCREEN worth of suggestions. I told my wife yesterday about this problem again.... she is now feeling free to simply walk in and schedule stuff on my TiVo. THis is because her TiVo is full.

I think because I subscribed my TiVo half a year ago (I used to do everything via manual recordings, unsubbed), she is now finding my TiVo sufficiently user-friendly to invade. I guess I could hide the remote but I think that would provoke her.

I might not have mentioned this, but I just recently bought a standalone DVD-burner for less than $100, and have so far burned two of her movies on it. I like it much better than the old VCR-archiving method. It's right now hooked to the cable feed but not to either TiVo. She just told me she's thinking this weekend she wants me to hook the DVD-burner to her TiVo. Hopefully that means she's about to offload stuff and make room so she can get off my TiVo.

I also told her yesterday that because I'm now down to less than a screen of suggestions, that maybe she should give me the go-ahead to upgrade her TiVo. I told her that for just under $100, I can increase her from 80 hours, to more than 300 hours. She likes the idea of upgrading, but she hesitates for me to do it now, because she doesn't like me spending a lot of time working on upgrading her TiVo when I could be working on other more important house projects.

But I'm going to closely monitor things for the next few days, including DVD burner activity, etc, and if I don't see progress soon, I'm definitely going to advocate going forward with upgrading her TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #317
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

I can't believe this thread has been alive since 2003, and you still have a problem.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #318
timckelley
TCFer

Surely I'm not the only one. Isn't there anybody else out there in TCF land that has husband/wife TiVo problems?

BTW, her latest space hog is dozens of eps of General Hospital. (She has no intention of archiving those - she simply wants to watch/catch up on them.)

Also, the latest thing that set her back, TiVo wise, is that a couple of weeks ago she went to the beach for a week with her family and my son, while I stayed home and did house projects. I know that sounds bad that I couldn't even go along on a beach vacation, but I had fallen horribly behind in paperwork, and I don't know when else I could have caught up. Unlike most people I know, who can have their child play alone for an hour or two, we can't do that because of his autism. My wife watches him all week, and then when I'm off for the weekend, I try to give her a break, and then I watch him, which leaves me almost no time to get housework done.

During that week, she got more backlogged.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 08-11-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #319
Adam1115
20,000!!!

What your too cheap to upgrade the hard drive? You know you can put 1.5 terrabytes of space on a tivo...

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #320
JYoung
Series 3

If she's literally dozens of episodes behind on a daily (5 times a week) soap opera, she will likely never catch up.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 08-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #321
maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung

If she's literally dozens of episodes behind on a daily (5 times a week) soap opera, she will likely never catch up.
I don't know what kind of seasons soap operas go on but if it's anything like my daily talk shows there's always a time like the summer for some serious catching up.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #322
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
What your too cheap to upgrade the hard drive? You know you can put 1.5 terrabytes of space on a tivo...
To be honest, I'm all in favor of paying the $100 to upgrade her to over 300 hours. The roadblock is her hesitance to divert me from my other housework to do this. But like I said, if my TiVo stays this low or gets lower, I'm going to press the issue and make it a higher priority to-do item.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #323
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
To be honest, I'm all in favor of paying the $100 to upgrade her to over 300 hours. The roadblock is her hesitance to divert me from my other housework to do this. But like I said, if my TiVo stays this low or gets lower, I'm going to press the issue and make it a higher priority to-do item.
Dude. Sack up!! It's not like upgrading the TiVo is akin to building a new wing on the house. It should only take you a couple of hours. You waste that much time here on TC every day. I guarantee that whether she "approves" it or not, you will both be much happier in the long run if you just go ahead and upgrade her TiVo.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #324
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung
I'm dozens of episodes of Letterman's show behind (a few months' worth), but I'm going to watch them.. Though admittedly I didn't catch up during his 2 weeks off (busy with a developer conference). I am recording them from my Tivo to my other recorder where I can watch them at 1.5x speed with sound though..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #325
alansplace
------ Alan ------

Big Grin love that feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack

I am recording them from my Tivo to my other recorder where I can watch them at 1.5x speed with sound though..
i love that feature about my Toshiba RD-XS32S.
--
Alan
Toshiba RD-XS32S (DVR/DVD burner)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #326
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
Dude. Sack up!! It's not like upgrading the TiVo is akin to building a new wing on the house. It should only take you a couple of hours. You waste that much time here on TC every day. I guarantee that whether she "approves" it or not, you will both be much happier in the long run if you just go ahead and upgrade her TiVo.
Well, only once before did I replace a TiVo hard drive, and it took way more than a couple of hours to replace. It took 3 evenings of research, working, and asking questions when I got stuck. I really didn't find the Hinsdale instructions all that user-friendly to somebody of my knowledge. And that was a case where I didn't mind losing the programs on my disk. In this case, she's going to want me to copy all her shows onto the new disk as well, which will also mean we'll need to schedule this at a time when her To Do List has a big enough gap in it that she won't miss her recordings. I'm told the copy operation takes hours to complete.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #327
Timber

I'll stick with the suggestion I made months ago, delete shows that you don't think she'll notice have gone and if she does blame it on TiVo.

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #328
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
I'm dozens of episodes of Letterman's show behind (a few months' worth), but I'm going to watch them.. Though admittedly I didn't catch up during his 2 weeks off (busy with a developer conference). I am recording them from my Tivo to my other recorder where I can watch them at 1.5x speed with sound though..

Most soaps (including General Hospital) don't have an off season or a vacation.
They show new episodes year round (except for a few holidays and the like).
So probably 255 episodes a year.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 08-14-2006, 01:53 AM   #329
weetoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrock200
Throw a 120gb drive in there to add to your 80gb.
Is it as easy to add a second HD, as it is in a computer? Any sites with how-to's?

Al
weetoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #330
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetoots
Is it as easy to add a second HD, as it is in a computer? Any sites with how-to's?

Al
No, actually it's considerably harder, which I can attest to, since it took me 3 evenings of working and asking questions when I got stuck (when I replaced a bad HD in my series 1 TiVo.) When I say harder, I don't really mean it's a lot of work - I just simply didn't find the Hinsdale instructions all that straightforward. Just replacing an HD in a PC is childsplay (imo) in comparison. Also, btw, opening the case of a TiVo is a bit more work than opening a computer case.

BTW, throwing in a second HD into a series 2 always causes power and cooling issues, but somebody else in this thread already suggested replacing, instead of adding to, the HD. That seems simpler, and is what I plan on doing.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc