TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Pioneer TiVo Owners Club

I decided to start this thread because the Humax and Toshiba threads seem to be rather popular. I have several of the DVR-810H-S model (see my sig) and one of the DVR-57H model. I love them! They are very solid units. And having TiVo Basic doesn't hurt either.

The hard drive upgrade process is very straight forward. There is really only room for one hard drive, but I've heard some people have been able to squeeze a second hard drive in it. Since these units have two IDE channels, it would be interesting to see if someone could squeeze three or even four hard drives into one unit. The DVD writer would have to be removed, however. Maybe I'll try this to see if it will work.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to successfully replace the DVD writer, in case the writer fails. I think there is something special about the firmware in the writer. I have tried replacing the writer with a Pioneer DVR-105, Pioneer DVR-106, Pioneer DVR-107, Pioneer DVR-108, and Pioneer DVR-109. Each time I've tried, I can play DVDs, but I can't burn DVDs.

But anyway, owners of a Pioneer TiVo, sign in and be counted!
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Have an 810 with 320GB HD. I don't find myself using the burner so much these days. I use a slingbox to stream programming wherever I want to watch it, or transfer to PC or other Tivo. Almost as easy to burn on PC and I can edit out commercials that way. I'm debating going to a DT unit, but I have lifetime on the 810 so it'll find a home somewhere if that happens.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
turnipsun

I Love Em..

I also have a Pioneer DVR-810H-S.
I completely love this tivo and I think it is far superior to any other dvd tivo out there.

My parents were the first to get a Pioneer DVR-810H-S, and I was amazed with it, so I got my first tivo, which was actually a Humax DRT800.

After having the Humax for one week, and having Humax replace it twice, I finally sold it.
I hated that thing, I really really did not like it, and it almost killed tivo for me.

So after I sold the Humax, I found a Pioneer DVR-810H-S. Once I got it I fell in LOVE.

This unit is amazing, It has handled everything I have thrown at it.
I even have it standing on its side vertically, and it has been GREAT.

I do actually plan to hack it soon, not sure of what my plans are for hard drive or such. I still have alot of research to do, before I can start planing.
Although I would like to find a really quite drive, anybody got any suggestions on hard drives for the DVR-810H-S?

Well I guess thats it, if anyone has a chance to get one of these units, DO NOT PASS IT UP..

Quick Note: TIVO NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER ON TIVOTOGO FOR MAC.
I had to say it...!
turnipsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
gayste
Love TiVo!

1 here...

Although I seem to be using it less and less as I TivoToGo most things now-a-days. (And recordings from my other TiVo will not copy to DVD.) It's not hacked and it might go away as soon as the Series 3 comes out.
Series3 Lifetime (broken)
Pioneer 810H Series2 (retired)
Series2 (retired)
gayste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
Seattle

I also have one Pioneer 810H-S. Of my ten TiVos it is my favorite. I have lifetime on it and it has not been upgraded yet. I also have an Humax DVD unit and it works fine for me.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
jlac839

I have a DVR-57H purchased nearly two years ago in a closing down sale. I purchased Lifetime service for it and I've been very pleased. I also upgraded the disk to 300GB. I use HME and TTG a lot since I got the Tivo wireless adapter which is much faster at downloads (to the Tivo) than wired or other wireless adapters due to its built-in video processing. I've hardly watched live tv since I got the Tivo except for some sports. I don't intend to replace it until I make a commitment to HD which is a long way off for me.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Indeed, my DVR-810H (the 57H's twin, just a smaller drive), is my favorite of all the TiVo's I've owned or used. I plan to keep it even after I get an S3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
bobsokoler

New Problem for my Pioneer 810H, It boots up and stalls at "starting up". Anyone have an idea on what the problem is?
bobsokoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
bicker
Gruff

Is there a DVD in the unit? If so, you may need to manually eject it before booting the unit up.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
alacran

Hello, I am a proud owner of a DVR 57H, bought it used, sure wished it displayed better than 480P display. Can't really compain otherwise, good to know there is a pioneer club.
alacran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsokoler
New Problem for my Pioneer 810H, It boots up and stalls at "starting up". Anyone have an idea on what the problem is?
When a TiVo stalls on 'starting up' it is almost always a dead hard drive. Do remove any DVD that may be in the drive. Otherwise you can open it up and check all the cables - make sure the drive power and IDE cable are connected, etc. If that fails, then you need to reimage, or replace, the drive.

|
|
|
Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #12
readmore

I've had an 810 for a couple of years now. I've been quite pleased with it. The only hiccup was a failed hard drive a few months after purchase. Fortunately, Pioneer replaced it (pretty quickly), and I was given the ultimate sign of successful purchase of a major piece of technology when my wife said she missed the tivo while it was getting replaced! Beforehand, she didn't understand what use it could possibly be, even with a burner...but then she saw the light, and she'll never go back.
readmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #13
rmarshll

is there a 1 gig usb nic card that will work with the 810h.. I love my unit.. but 100mbps is way to slow to transfer.. i want to use a 1gbps adaptor.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
codeman71

Exclamation Unable to transfer recorded shows now

My aunt has a Pioneer 810-H and all of a sudden we are no longer able to transfer recorded shows from her other TiVo, or view any pictures or music on her computer.

It seems to have happened about a month or so ago. I have removed the wireless adapter and plugged it back in, restarted the TiVo several times and have also removed power to do a cold restart -- none of these have helped.

Also, when I try to transfer shows off of the TiVo onto her other box, I am able to view all of the shows on it, but when I try to do a transfer, it gives an error saying that it was no longer available. I am, however, able to transfer shows onto her computer using TiVo Desktop.

It seems like a service update has been the cause of this problem, because nothing else has changed in our set up. Has anybody else seen or heard about this being an issue, or how to go about fixing it?

Thanks!
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

We also have an 810H. That's most likely the one S2 TiVo we will keep after we upgrade to the S3 units.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarshll
is there a 1 gig usb nic card that will work with the 810h.. I love my unit.. but 100mbps is way to slow to transfer.. i want to use a 1gbps adaptor.
The TiVo can't even fill 100Mbps, GigE would have NO advantage. The bottleneck is the TiVo CPU, not the network. (And no, no GigE adapters work.)

|
|
|
Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 AM   #17
MMG
early adopter

I've had a 57H with Lifetime since 12/05. I love it. I'm always burning DVDs of shows for friends. The picture is excellent, it has quick menus (at least before 7.3.1), and looks nice too.

Unfortunately, it's in a GSOD loop now and I'll be replacing its hard-drive tomorrow but I would never want to get rid of this gem.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #18
bicker
Gruff

I believe my current wireless adapeters are 802.11b but my wireless router can handle 802.11g. I'd spend the $120 for the two adapters I'd need to connect my two boxes, if it would make a big enough difference. Specifically, is it practical to expect that I could actually watch something, in real time, from one TiVo, on the other?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #19
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Specifically, is it practical to expect that I could actually watch something, in real time, from one TiVo, on the other?
I do that. If the units are 1xx, 2xx, or 6xx boxes it is very likely to work for any recording quality, given a good network connection. A 5xx box may or may not cope with Best at realtime, but High or lower should work with the TiVo adapters OK.

The lower the recording quality, the faster the transfer. The bitrate of the transfer doesn't change, but there is less to transfer for a given run time.

|
|
|
Old 08-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
wtherrell

Love my 57H

I got one of the first 57-H units Tweeter had available in my area and still love it. Works great on my wireless network. Just finished burning 56 DVD's. I now have a pretty good "Alias" collection as a result. (Lord, Jennifer is so hot!!). Lifetime subscription. I hear they are not offering the lifetime one any more. Bummer. I may have to try something other than Tivo for my next unit.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #21
MMG
early adopter

Good news... I just got my 57H up and running again with a new hard drive from weaknees.com.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #22
Fandango2002

Good, cheap DVD-RW media for 810?

I just bought a demo unit DVR-810H-S yesterday from a popular computer store chain - so far so good. Couldn't pass it up for the price. What DVD-RW media are people having the best luck with in their 810s? A few weeks ago, I found a great deal on some Office Depot brand RWs which work great for burning in my Toshiba RS-TX20 but my 810 rejects them. I bought a lot of these discs so I was pretty bummed! I have some Maxells that work but they are little pricey (I'm a cheapskate!) Anyone have any suggestions for good deals on RW media for the 810?
Fandango2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:02 AM   #23
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
I do that. If the units are 1xx, 2xx, or 6xx boxes it is very likely to work for any recording quality, given a good network connection. A 5xx box may or may not cope with Best at realtime, but High or lower should work with the TiVo adapters OK.
Thanks for this. One of my boxes is 5xx. Could someone please point me to an explanation about why this box isn't as good as my older 2xx box? Should I be considering retiring my 5xx and just getting a new box (for free?) from TiVo as my "second" box? It's still just the same price per month -- I'd just have to make a 1 year commitment, correct? If the new boxes are unequivocally better, and free, and we would otherwise keep our 5xx for the next year anyway, isn't this a no-brainer???

I couldn't find a way to check this on the TiVo website... no way to see how much it would cost and what commitment I'd have to make with regard to adding a new TiVo onto an existing TiVo account.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:08 AM   #24
bicker
Gruff

I've given up on DVD-RWs. They're so expensive, and DVD-Rs are so inexpensive, so I just burn, use, and discard. <shrug>
Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #25
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Regarding DVD-RWs: You have to be careful what you buy. The Pioneer only likes DVD-RWs that are 1x or 2x. I've tried ones that are marked 4x (DVD-RW ver 1.2), and the Pioneer gives me the broken disc icon. In the User's Guide, page 32, it says to use DVD-RWs that are compatible with DVD-RW ver 1.1 and ver 1.1/2x. You'll have to read the fine print on the package to make sure they are compatible.

This probably has something to do with the firmware version of the DVD burner. The Pioneer TiVos use either a Pioneer DVR-A05 or DVR-A06 burner, fairly old by today's standards. It would be nice if a newer version of the firmware could be added to a future software update. But only after thorough testing, I don't want my burner to die from a bad software update.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #26
Fandango2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister
Regarding DVD-RWs: You have to be careful what you buy. The Pioneer only likes DVD-RWs that are 1x or 2x. I've tried ones that are marked 4x (DVD-RW ver 1.2), and the Pioneer gives me the broken disc icon. In the User's Guide, page 32, it says to use DVD-RWs that are compatible with DVD-RW ver 1.1 and ver 1.1/2x. You'll have to read the fine print on the package to make sure they are compatible.

This probably has something to do with the firmware version of the DVD burner. The Pioneer TiVos use either a Pioneer DVR-A05 or DVR-A06 burner, fairly old by today's standards. It would be nice if a newer version of the firmware could be added to a future software update. But only after thorough testing, I don't want my burner to die from a bad software update.
Thanks for the info. Yes, new firmware to handle the newer discs would be nice!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #27
blang

Hey all, new to the forum here. I've had an 810H for quite awhile now, couldn't live without it (or so it would seem). Lately, though, it's not burning DVDs as well, I've got to look into replacing that drive (and the HDD if possible).
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #28
kaceeb
kaceeb

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I know we have a Pioneer, but I don't know the specifics. I'm not the electronics genius in our home. My husband's at work and I have a technical problem. I've tried several different DVDs and each time I put one in it says that it can't be read and might be damaged. (I know it's not.) Does anyone have a suggestion?
kaceeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #29
Fandango2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister

Here's an update:

Target has a sale right now on Memorex DVD-RW 2X. 10-pack w/jewel cases for $8.99. This is one of the best deals I've seen on name-brand RWs. These work great in my DVR-810H and RS-TX20 and play back great on my Sony 5-disc carousel. There are actually 2 package styles. The older one states 1X - 2X and the newer one states just 2X. Both work great. Sale is through Saturday.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #30
Fandango2002

DVR-810H Upgrade Question

I bought a bigger HDD for my DVR-810H (hasn't been delivered yet) and I'll be transferring the OS to the new drive myself. Was on the Weaknees site getting the instructions and noticed that 2 torx tools are needed. However, these instructions seem to be for the Humax and Toshiba DVD units specifically (there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Pioneer set of instructions). My question is: does the 810H require these 2 torx tools as well or is it all phillips heads in there? I don't want to open up my Pioneer unit yet and need to know if I should buy these tools on the way home from work. Thanks!