TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #1231
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by baatz
Never having had the "luxury" of OTA reception --- I didn't even realize there were such things as multiple subchannels from a station with varying content...

Until now...
Some is useless. Many channels have a non-HD digital feed of their HD programming. In Chicago, the local ABC affiliate used to run ABC News Now on a subchannel. Several do the silly weather thing (weather maps/forecasts 24 x 7).

PBS here actually has the national PBS feed on it's "main" HD channel, and a feed of the local programming on a second and PBS Create on the third. One local channel has, like, six subchannels. Again, a lot of chaff, but occasionally one finds some wheat.

I strongly recommend you give OTA reception a try. Depending on where you live, you might just need rabbit ears or a decent indoor antenna.
Quote:
Sounds cool. No jibber jabber? Wow... Almost makes me want to move to Champaign. Or maybe drink a lot of champagne to forget that I don't have a feed like that.
That is, without a doubt, the most brilliant programming decision I've ever seen. Frankly, I'd pay a monthly subscription fee to get sports broadcasts sans announcers.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #1232
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto
this reminds me of the old C-band days. i remember getting "backhauls" with no commercials, announcers, nothing.

the best though was when there WAS announcers but no commercials, they would say they were going to commercial but they never did

So they dont still have that today? I had a house with C bad in the early 90s. Was wild watching the war stuff live. I had no idea that tv people swore so much off the air either. I'd catch the feeds from the news vans etc. Boy do they put on their smiley faces though when the red light goes on. I think people's image would be shattered if we ever / still got live feeds such as this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #1233
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

i don't know, newsposter. i haven't had C-band in about 10 years now so i'm out of the loop but that "black board" was really cool.

nothing like an "open sky".

Yamaha HTR-5590 Reciever, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts and Mini Monitor rears, Polk Audio front/rear centers, 2 10" Velodyne subs.
joetoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #1234
timc01

What Tivo HD DVR

I picked up bits on various posts - but would be grateful for all the correct answers:

Currently Cablevision (Westchester, NY), Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR - hate it. Want to move back to a Tivo Box.

If I get the HR10-250 will I always be able to keep Tivo or will D* dump it in this box also?

Can I get HD locals here? Or will I need an antenna?

Thanks
timc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #1235
cheer
Registered Offender

Right now the only Tivo HD DVR is the HR10-250. That requires D* service.

Sooner or later, D* will stop selling it. Support may last for quite some time, but you will not be able to get HD locals via D* -- you'll have to use an antenna.

Alternatively you can wait for the S3, which hopefully will be out later this year, and use it with your cable.
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #1236
Steve O

I'm trying to get my HR10-250 integrated into my Harmony/Logitech H659 controlled system. If I read this thread correctly, at least a couple of years ago, there was no discrete codes to go to specific output formats. Is that still true? The reason I ask is that I want to set up two "activities" for the HD TiVo... one that shows HD. The other that switches everything to 480i. The reason I want to do that is because I have it wired to an RF modulator to send the signal via coax to other parts of the house. I don't want to toggle between 720p and 480i. I just want it to be able to set the output correctly based on the activity. Same is true for the "aspect" setting. Can it be set, not toggled?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #1237
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Alas!

No discrete commands for formats, no native format mode, and no S-video or composite output at low-res concurrent with high-def on the component and HDMI outputs. All these omissions add up to the fact that it is impossible to control the HR10-250 intelligently with a control system such as yours (or such as mine, which is AMX).

No discrete commands for the aspect ("ratio") settings, either. (However, there is a "dodge" that works pretty well, since most high-def sets have decent aspect controls of their own. Tell the HR10-250 that the aspect ratio of your TV set is 4:3, even if the actual sets are a mixture of both 4:3 and 16:9. The HR10-250's aspect control works exactly the same on the high-res formats, output via component and HDMI, regardless of the "setup setting" of "TV aspect ratio". But setting the TV aspect ratio to 4:3 makes the "ratio" toggle work better when the format is changed to low-res and the S-video and/or composite outputs are being used, as for your RF modulator.)

The lack of decent format control has gotten me to seriously consider opening the box and tapping the drive voltages on the front panel's format LEDs. Then, using those voltages as input to a set of status ports on an AMX controller, one could programmatically determine what actual format mode the box is in when you send the "format toggle" command ...

But most likely I will just wait for the HR20-250. Although it is not a TiVo box, it is known that the HR20-250 will support direct control via an RS232 port (using the same command set that has historically been supported by DirecTV receivers, which includes discrete format codes). It is also likely that the HR20-250 will support concurrent low-res/high-res output, and a native format mode (since the current crop of non-DVR high-def DirecTV receivers, such as the LG LSS-3200A, do support those features).

wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #1238
rhudson19187

Remote does work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu
The people who have seen the demo / beta units seem to say that the second sentence here is untrue, you can change output format by remote. Can anyone confirm this? It would be highly annoying if you couldn't.
The remote that came with my DirecTV HD DVR has both a button that controls ratio and also you can program the up arrow to change formats. The programming is done using the menu for settings and then select "remote control".
rhudson19187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #1239
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

remote question

I would like to pose a question for the "remote" guru's......

I have been using Tivo for about a year and a half now... but have been to busy with "life" to really get into them any deeper than figuring out how to do the 30 second skip, & turn on the TV and audio receiver with the single green button on the Tivo remote..., which interestingly enough seemed to work fine on my 80gig SD-Tivo's, but does not seem to work on the remotes for my HD-Tivo (is there something different here)?

To whit... I had an SD-Tivo set up
with my wife's JVC television and Denon audio receiver running the
sound output. When I programmed the remote I went through the menu to
setup the TV and the Receiver and from then on when I pushed the green
button (with the switch in the satellite position) both the TV and the
Denon would power up (great)! However, I just upgraded my wife's Tivo
to the HR 10-250 in preparation for upgrading her TV to HD this
summer. However, when I was programming the new remote the green
button operates the TV only for power, not the receiver. The remote
does operate the receiver for sound control just fine... but will not
do the one-button power-up that I enjoyed with the old remote. So I
am just using the old remote which still operates the TV and the
receiver just fine and seems to have no issues interfacing with the
HD-Tivo... (although I would really prefer using the HD remote). Is
there something different about the HD remote that prevents them from
operating in the same fashion that my older remote from the SD-Tivo
does?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #1240
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhudson19187
The remote that came with my DirecTV HD DVR has both a button that controls ratio and also you can program the up arrow to change formats. The programming is done using the menu for settings and then select "remote control".
Quite true. But the issue here, for home automation folks like myself, is not whether the remote can be used to change format and aspect ration, but whether or not these things can be controlled discretely. Unfortunately, both the "Ratio" button and the "Up Arrow" act as "toggles" that flip from one mode to another — they do not provide a direct method to put the DVR in any specific format or aspect ratio.

For home automation purposes, "toggling" keys on remotes are next to useless. The classic example is the "Power On/Off" button. (Fortunately, some brands of equipment do provide separate IR codes for "Power On" and "Power Off", even though they are not always implemented as two separate buttons on the actual remote that comes with the device.)

wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #1241
cbrantly

Does anybody have the new Series 3 Tivo yet? When is it coming out?
cbrantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #1242
annenoe
He's a Smooth Fox

Just posted to another thread put wanted to clarify something.

In the original post, there is a comment about "dual tuner" capability:
>> DirecTV HD TiVos contain 2 DirecTV SD/HD/OTA tuners (a total of 3 coax inputs) which can receive/record standard definition and high definition programming from DirecTV as well as local digital/HDTV broadcasts brought in by an antenna. 2 tuners means 2 different shows can be recorded simultaneously. <<

Just to be clear, I have one OTA, one satellite hooked up and cannot use dual tuners. As I understand it, you need a minimum of *both* satellite cables plugged in to get dual tuner capability to work. But with both satellite, you could also plug in OTA.
Yamaha HTR5860 A/V receiver
Samsung 56" DLP & 40" LCD
DirecTV w/ 5 LNB Dish
CM 4220 rooftop antenna
Harmony 880
annenoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #1243
ericlhyman

Is there any info on when DirecTV will begin the swap for HD Tivo owners?
ericlhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 PM   #1244
cheer
Registered Offender

There isn't even a release date for the new DVR yet.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #1245
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey398
Of course, that's not the HD DVR that we were just discussing...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #1246
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I'm sure this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I didn't see it and didn't look carefully. I just bought my first HDTV and an HR10-250 HD Tivo.

Question: When Directv releases their HD DVR that will record local channels, will there be offers where I can upgrade my current HD DVR to theirs? I know I'll have to get the 5 LNB dish, as well. Any guesses on what that will run?

Question: What additional channels do you think will be added to their service in the near future? Just the locals or a lot more?

Thanks
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #1247
Joe Smith
Medium Member

HR20 coming this month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer
There isn't even a release date for the new DVR yet.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=309297 talks about an August 2006 release.
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #1248
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Smith
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=309297 talks about an August 2006 release.
Yes it does. But that's not the same as an announced release date.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #1249
Kenwood
Stockholder

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
LA and NY DO have mpeg2 in HD...if you are in CA you may be able to get them..i dont know about the criteria though. I'm guessing if you are in LA you can get LA

search in the HDtivo forum for better answers as there are rumors of mpeg2 being turned off. I know nothing!
Okay, D* has me living in LA, but I moved to Phoenix a year ago. I have DNS East & West Coast feeds. I didn't want to lose those or the ability to watch Dodgers/Lakers games.

So would I be able to receive the HD Local feeds (Living in PHX) if I bought a HDtivo?
Kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #1250
cybrsurfer

enter the address or zip info at this site to find out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwood
Okay, D* has me living in LA, but I moved to Phoenix a year ago. I have DNS East & West Coast feeds. I didn't want to lose those or the ability to watch Dodgers/Lakers games.

So would I be able to receive the HD Local feeds (Living in PHX) if I bought a HDtivo?
click on the link below to go to DirecTV DNS (Distant network) site to find out if you can still get the NY/LA feeds...

http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressForm.aspx
cybrsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #1251
bellbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
So they dont still have that today? I had a house with C bad in the early 90s. Was wild watching the war stuff live. I had no idea that tv people swore so much off the air either. I'd catch the feeds from the news vans etc. Boy do they put on their smiley faces though when the red light goes on. I think people's image would be shattered if we ever / still got live feeds such as this.
This would be great stuff to post on You Tube!
bellbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #1252
Valor55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo
I would like to pose a question for the "remote" guru's......

I have been using Tivo for about a year and a half now... but have been to busy with "life" to really get into them any deeper than figuring out how to do the 30 second skip, & turn on the TV and audio receiver with the single green button on the Tivo remote..., which interestingly enough seemed to work fine on my 80gig SD-Tivo's, but does not seem to work on the remotes for my HD-Tivo (is there something different here)?

To whit... I had an SD-Tivo set up
with my wife's JVC television and Denon audio receiver running the
sound output. When I programmed the remote I went through the menu to
setup the TV and the Receiver and from then on when I pushed the green
button (with the switch in the satellite position) both the TV and the
Denon would power up (great)! However, I just upgraded my wife's Tivo
to the HR 10-250 in preparation for upgrading her TV to HD this
summer. However, when I was programming the new remote the green
button operates the TV only for power, not the receiver. The remote
does operate the receiver for sound control just fine... but will not
do the one-button power-up that I enjoyed with the old remote. So I
am just using the old remote which still operates the TV and the
receiver just fine and seems to have no issues interfacing with the
HD-Tivo... (although I would really prefer using the HD remote). Is
there something different about the HD remote that prevents them from
operating in the same fashion that my older remote from the SD-Tivo
does?
I am not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to this A/V stuff so I am far from an expert. I recently moutned a plasma TV to the wall and put all my A/V equipment in a separate room and in a cabinet. I don't want to look at it. I got the Logitech Harmony 890 remote which sends an RF signal to an receiver in the cabinet that has IR blasters built in. The remote was a cinch to set up. It has "activities" that are just macros of signals. "Watch TV" will turn on the TV, wake up the HR10-250, turn on the receiver and set it to the proper inputs. When I hit "Off" on the remote it shuts all the devices off. It works the same way to "Watch DVD" --it turns on the DVD player and sets the TV and receiver to the correct inputs.

This may be way overkill for what you want to do but it does work. All my remotes are put away, the Harmony is the only one I need to use for anything in my system.
Valor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #1253
MikeNorman

I think this may be the correct place to ask this question. If not I am very sorry for causing a problem.

I am schedule Friday morning by Directv to replace my dish and install the MPEG4 dish and H20 MPEG4 receiver to be able to get local high definition channels coming to Oklahoma City early December.

Does my 5X8 power multiswitch I am currently using have to be replaced? I used it to connect my HR10-250 and other high definition receivers and standard TIVO PVR's.
Mike
MikeNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #1254
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Mike,

DirecTV should be expected to replace your 5x8 multiswitch with one that is compatible with the new satellites.

The potential trap here might be the OTA input to your 5x8 multiswitch. If you are using that to diplex OTA signals with the satellite signals delivered to your receivers, you may need to come up with an alternative method, which DirecTV will likely NOT help you with. The 5-satellite system has downlink frequencies that conflict with OTA UHF frequencies, so diplexing OTA with satellite from DirecTV will not work.

That said, I have read here or on AVS Forum that some folks are still TEMPORARILY able to use their diplexing, since apparently the interfering frequencis don't come into play until the next satellite is launched. I may have this wrong, but folks have reported this or something similar.

One potential solution might be to leave your 5x8 multiswitch in place, feeding your current receivers as today. But the satellite inputs to the 5x8 would be fed by 4 outputs of a new multiswitch that supports all 5 satellites. The new HR20 would be fed directly from 2 ports of the new multiswitch.

This approach can work in part because none of your existing receivers are capable of receiving MPEG-4 signals from the new satellites.

Anyone, feel free to correct any erros here.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #1255
Blademan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23

DirecTV HDTV programming at 110:
ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD, HDNet Movies, Showtime HD

DirecTV HDTV programming at 119:
HDNet, HBO HD, HD Pay-per-view
The FAQ HD channel list needs to be updated. For example, according to Lyngsat, HBO is now on 110.
Blademan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #1256
amberbamber

TivoToGo for Hr10-250 yet or ever?

Has Tivo or anyone released TivoToGo or any similar software for the hr10-250's yet?
One post said it might be out the end of this year. It seems like a lot of trouble to muck around in my hr10-250 since I'm supposed to be upgraded to the mpeg4 unit when they come out. I have the 5lnb dish already.

I just watched a commercial tonight about Tivo allowing people to move recorded tivo shows to their laptop computers for portable viewing.

Is it better to get a stand alone Tivo with dtv to be able to watch shows on my laptop at my leisure?

Why does dtv have to limit things and screw everything up?

Thanks
amberbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #1257
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbamber
Has Tivo or anyone released TivoToGo or any similar software for the hr10-250's yet?
Not that I know of. Check the "other" website which I cannot give the URL for. You might find a great deal of info in their database about TiVo.

Quote:
I just watched a commercial tonight about Tivo allowing people to move recorded tivo shows to their laptop computers for portable viewing.

Is it better to get a stand alone Tivo with dtv to be able to watch shows on my laptop at my leisure?
If you want to go back to the dark ages as far as picture and sound quality. If you must have MRV and/or transfer shows to your PC and you love DirecTV, get a DirecTV non-HD TiVo. There is software out there to enable HMO and MRV on the DirecTV non-HD TiVos.

But now is the wrong time to buy a DirecTV TiVo. They are switching to MPEG-4 as you are aware and Rupert Murdoch, the cause of DirecTV ditching TiVo, has sold DirecTV to another company. So off in the distance, there is now a slim chance of a series 3 DirecTV TiVo that does MPEG-4 and all the other goodies.

Quote:
Why does dtv have to limit things and screw everything up?
Thank Rupert Murdoch for setting technology back with the lowest common denominator. Australia has been thanking him for years. He's gone out of his way to block High Definition in Australia because it costs too much. His philosophy is, if nobody has HD, nobody will miss it.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #1258
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademan007
The FAQ HD channel list needs to be updated. For example, according to Lyngsat, HBO is now on 110.
Pretty soon, the HR10-250 will be useless for HBO, Showtime, etc.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #1259
bgshapiro

Ruppert sells interest in Direct TV to Liberty

Since the TIVO "Scrooge" has now parted with his interest in DTV, does this mean that DTV may get back on track with TIVO and stop making us use that horrible HD DVR?
bgshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #1260
BizarroTerl

Please, please, please. We have the DTV HD DVR and it rates a 10 on the 1-10 scale of suckiness.
BizarroTerl is offline   Reply With Quote